cheap starter needed by TeamPontiac88
Started on: 11-18-2012 02:47 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: fierofan25 on 11-23-2012 08:16 PM
TeamPontiac88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TeamPontiac88Send a Private Message to TeamPontiac88Direct Link to This Post
Hi, Im trying to save my 88GT that got damaged by Sandy. If anyone has a starter they could sell cheap that can be used on an 88 automatic, or maybe i could trade some parts? Im out of work and cant buy a new one only to find out the engine is shot. Any help greatly appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkDirect Link to This Post
I have a good one...PM sent
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
How cheap? You can get a newer style gear reduction starter out of salvage cars for probably $20-25.
TeamPontiac88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TeamPontiac88Send a Private Message to TeamPontiac88Direct Link to This Post
whats is a gear red starter? Thanks for the info
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post
Good man. Been there:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086803.html

Water well over the roof of the car after tropical storm Irene. Nearly gave up on it, but after some encouragement on the forums, I rolled up my sleeves and saved it.

I've got plenty of spare starters. I'll give you one for the cost of shipping if you want. Email me: kevincdennis@gmail.com
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I have a used one you can have. I will even pay shipping. Thanks
TeamPontiac88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TeamPontiac88Send a Private Message to TeamPontiac88Direct Link to This Post
Wow you guys are awesome. Im on Long island, and it went under 3 feet of water. I stripped the interior out, dropped the exhaust, and gas tank. The plugs are out and i filled them with marvel mystery oil. Its an automatic and I dropped the pan and cleaned out the fluid and replaced the filter. i will be doing that again if i get it started to make sure its clean. the seats cleaned up nicely and im replacing all the harnesses once i locate them. It has power everything. My 87 se as just as bad and my 80 Trans am also got it. The 88 is my baby and am power washing it inside and out to get all salt out of it. .
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like you got a starter already, but LMK if you need anything else to get your '88 going again.
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you're on it. Cliffnotes from my experience, which may be of some use:

I powerwashed everything thoroughly. Its not the water, its the silt that gets left behind and makes the real mess. Once the interior was stripped I ran a dehumidified in the car with everything close up. This did a lot for drying hard to reach areas out. I tossed all the carpet backing and sound insulation. Doesn't seem to ever loose the smell or sediment. I actually didn't replace much mechanically/electrically (Even kept the battery) Electrical relays I opened and dried out. I hit absolutely every connector on the car: cleaned and greased with dielectric grease. I hooked a vacuum to up a small hose and vacuumed out the cylinders through the spark plug openings. Filled the cylinder with Marvels until I could fire it up to keep things from rusting. Muffler will be very much full. I actually disconnected the exhaust at the y pipe when I first fired it up. It smoked a lot from the Marvel's even getting out as much as I could.

Be sure to change the ICM, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Even if they survived, they're not long for this world. Coolant should be fine.

I had a year or so of things slowly failing electrically: power window, headlight motor, but most of the stuff was fine. Just be sure its totally dry before putting power to it. Horn will likely be full of crap and not work. Nothing a big hammer can't fix.

Sorry that's pretty stream-of-consciousness. Big thing is to get it flushed out completely. Mine was fresh water. You might have additional concern with sea water and salt? Biggest thing is to stay motivated and positive. Its a hell of a lot of work, but worth it. Hang in there!
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroDirect Link to This Post

onesexyfiero

771 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Also, feel free to email me with any questions. I've been through it, learned some lessons along the way, and would be happy to share insight.
TeamPontiac88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TeamPontiac88Send a Private Message to TeamPontiac88Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for all your help. I managed to get to the rear plugs today, took them out and loaded the cylinders up with marvel mystery oil. The gas tank went back in today along with a new filter. Once I get a starter and something to put where the cat was(it was a brand new rodney dickman cat) I will be trying to turn her over with the plugs removed.
PFF
System Bot
THE REAL Fieronut

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE REAL FieronutSend a Private Message to THE REAL FieronutDirect Link to This Post
Ya can't beat FREE plus pay the shipping. But you might consider this: The supercharged Buick 3800 starter will fit and I've been told they spin the engine over faster. That was the one I used when it was replacement time on my '88. Frankly, dunno whether it was actually better or not but in my MIND it was!

------------------
John

TeamPontiac88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2012 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TeamPontiac88Send a Private Message to TeamPontiac88Direct Link to This Post
Well my second casualty just Popped.. The egr valve Popped in 2, I guess the salt water finaly did it in. if anyone has one for sale let me know. Thanks.
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I sent the starter out today and you have a PM. Thanks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock