WTB: '84 Manual Shifter Cable, ASAP! by Twilight Fenrir
Started on: 09-21-2011 05:10 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Twilight Fenrir on 10-02-2011 11:47 PM
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to find a shifter cable for my '84 SE with manual trans. The shifter cable, not the selector cable. (The larger diameter of the two cables)

If anyone has one, please let me know ASAP. I'm trying to get this before Sunday if at all possible...

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post
Woohoo! Nevermind! I found one on Autozone... I love their website... they've almost always got the hard to find stuff...
mfiero86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mfiero86Send a Private Message to mfiero86Direct Link to This Post
I Would not buy the az brand cables they are garbage and you will have shifting problems if not adjusted right. I would recommend rodney dickman he has the cable you need and made to fit the car right the first time. I have always been pleased with his parts. I just ordered a new slave, bracket and bleeder from him and know I will be pleased with the quality when they arrive. Plus you may pay a little more than az but know that you are supporting him make us quality parts in the future that are getting harder to find. I would rather get used cable from the forum with original heat shielding but that's my opinion good luck.

His website is rodneydickman.com

[This message has been edited by mfiero86 (edited 09-22-2011).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I do not have the 84 4 speed cables in stock yet. I should be getting some in maybe 6-8 weeks or so. OEM quality.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post
Weelll... I'm planning on putting in an Ecotec and F23 next year... so i don't exactly need the worlds greatest cable... I would buy one from Rodney if he had them, but 6-8 weeks is too long for me. I figure I can buy a cheep one, throw some really good heat-shield tape on it, and get it to work for another year before finding its new powertrain.

Autozone and The Fiero Store are the only places I can find the cable at all. Fiero Store wants $130 for what I assume is exactly the same cable I'm getting from Autozone for $60. With free shipping!

The one on my Fiero now has none of its heat-shield remaining above the manifolds. But the bigger issue at the moment, is that the sheath at the end of the cable has broken off, so the cable bends when I shift into 1st, and the transmission never actually shifts into first. It frequently misses 3rd, and Reverse as well.

If the Autozone ones are really bad enough that they won't meet my requirements, please let me know! I have a couple ideas for a band-aid I can do for the time being I'll be trying tomorrow. If I can reliably repair it, I'll cancel my order with AZ, and get RD's when they are back in stock. I guess I'll go from there.

Oh! I also need one of the clips that retains the cable on the transmission... mine was missing... I'm using a MAP sensor clip at the moment... it's pretty thin, I'm worried it won't hold up too long :P Might cut something out of thicker steel I've got laying about in the next day or two for it.

[This message has been edited by Twilight Fenrir (edited 09-24-2011).]

Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post
Well... despite calling Autozone and cancelling my order for the cable... it showed up at my door yesterday... Since I had it, I popped it open... and I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed actually.

I don't know about the heat-shield quality, but the rest of the cable is really nice. It even has the firewall grommet, and a new ball-stud. It's a non-adjustable, direct replacement. It's half the price of the Fiero stores, and probably twice the quality... Oddly enough, it's made in Israel of all places O.o

I picked up some crazy high-end heat insulating tape for $20. I'm going to toss it on there for good measure, and put it in tomorrow. If it holds up for a year or two, I'll consider it a rousing success. I considered sending it back, but it looks like a really nice unit.

[This message has been edited by Twilight Fenrir (edited 10-01-2011).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Twilight Fenrir:

.. Oddly enough, it's made in Israel of all places O.o

Unfortunately those are the cables that (in the past) have been very poor quality unless they changed them and their quality is better now? I have seen them fail in a very short time frame. I started offering cables because of these low quality made in Israel cables.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Nazareth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
need to post to leave feedback
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
How are '84 4-speed cables different from 85-86 4-speed cables?
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post
Well... I had two cables in hand... one original one that was missing much of its insulation. And one brand new one with questionable insulation...

I went ahead and put the brand new one in... They're easy enough to swap out, so if it fails catastrophically it will only take about half an hour to put the new one in. I took a few comparison shots for giggles. I used the one I removed as a guide, and wrapped the new cable with heat-shield tape from the transmission end, all the way to the firewall... Hopefully it will get me by.

(The old cable was routed in the middle of a wire harness somehow... so I just cut it in half to make its removal easier)

As you can see, the new inner sleeves are made out of steel, instead of the plastic that was broken on my original one. (You can see my bandaid in the middle picture... worked great for about a weak or two, but failed just when my new cable arived at my door.)

I don't know about the cables longevity... but it shifts really, really nicely now.

[This message has been edited by Twilight Fenrir (edited 10-02-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock