Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  ~~Complete Corvette Brake Swap~~ (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
~~Complete Corvette Brake Swap~~ by merciero
Started on: 08-27-2011 10:00 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: Steel on 09-19-2011 08:04 PM
merciero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
im testing the waters on selling these kits. this is everything you need. turned down front hubs, swap brackets, cos rings, brand new calipers, brand new rotors cross drilled and 5x100, all mounting bolts. everything you need. with how much i got in the kits im looking at around $1500. does that sound fair and reasonable? everything is cnc cut and very professional.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
Is this for 84-87 or just 88's?
ZarZ

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZarZSend a Private Message to ZarZDirect Link to This Post
I'd say 84-87 because you don't need altered (turned down) hubs on an 88.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I dunno.. I don't think most are willing to pay that much. The typical frugal Fiero owner (aka me lol) will shop around for used calipers/ rotors, the only parts I'd justify buying new would be SS brake hoses/ wheel bearings/ adapter brackets/ centric rings. (Ok maybe I like waiting for crazy deals more than most lol). This swap can be done for about $5-700 if you shop around, so I don't see the average Fiero owner springing for an all new setup.
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
$1500 is cheap for an entire new brake setup.. IMO
TheRealShadowX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

X2

I'd buy it when the money comes up.

------------------
(TRSX) The Zombiero - "Thrice resurrected"
1985 GT, 4 Speed Muncie, 3.4PR V6, 15" Lace GT wheels, Power everything, sunroof, Red with gray effects. Driven and enjoyed daily.

Fiero GT- 2 seater, mid engine, rear wheel drive, H.O. V6, manual rack and pinion steering, fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, no ABS, no traction control, no speed limiter, available T-Tops. So, outdated econo-box or classic sports car? You decide.

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I never doubted that fact, just putting it into perspective with the prospective consumers. I don't want this to be another time where people express interest in something which sounds good in theory, and then when the product comes out- it turns out that people just don't have the $$$ to step up to the plate and buy. Not many people here are willing/able to drop $1500 like that. Just making sure the OP knows what type of buyers he is dealing with.
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I dunno.. I don't think most are willing to pay that much. The typical frugal Fiero owner (aka me lol) will shop around for used calipers/ rotors, the only parts I'd justify buying new would be SS brake hoses/ wheel bearings/ adapter brackets/ centric rings. (Ok maybe I like waiting for crazy deals more than most lol). This swap can be done for about $5-700 if you shop around, so I don't see the average Fiero owner springing for an all new setup.

I'm inclined to agree... It'd be nice to be able to just buy a kit. There are ALOT of people on here who throw that much at their Fiero's on a regular basis, so I'm sure you'd sell some. But I think alot of us are cheap too :P Or, at the least, aren't afraid to do the extra work, to save the extra money.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice to get it all professionally made in one kit. But there are not a large number of Fiero owners sitting on that much coin these days. I couldn't get 200 bucks for a complete 86 parts car a while back.
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok so what if I offer the whole kit. And offer the do it yourself kit with the brackets rings hardware and so on. U buy your own Vette parts. It would most likely come out to be the same but let's u pay less upfront. Ill get a few pics to show the quality of my kits.
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
Well if the kit has proper bias and everything included for install I'd buy a kit. What needs to be done with MC or booster?

These are 12" rotors or 13"?
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by merciero:

Ok so what if I offer the whole kit. And offer the do it yourself kit with the brackets rings hardware and so on. U buy your own Vette parts. It would most likely come out to be the same but let's u pay less upfront. Ill get a few pics to show the quality of my kits.

Now we're talking, I'm sure you'd sell a good amount of those partial kits. I'd be in line to buy something like that if I didn't just get a complete lightly used bolt on grand am brake swap for dirt cheap.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I'm in for just the brackets and rings (for 84-87). As long as the price is not out of the park.. Are these based on Bubbajoexxx's design? -Jason
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I agree, I make the brackets for the 88 and I have sold a lot of the brackets, but I also offer a kit for only 450$ and have never sold a kit yet.Thanks

BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DDirect Link to This Post
most people here pay $1500 or less for their cars. I find it hard to believe there will be many buyers for the kit at that price. Sorry just the facts of the fiero world.
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

Just wanted to say that isn't true. I have around $16k so far in my car. Others I know have decent money in their's as well. I did not get my Fiero because it was cheap - I bought it because of value. Never could you have a car with the performance potential for so little. I will have around 320 HP at the wheels, with konis, 13" Brakes, wide body, custom interior, etc. My $350z was over 42k and I still had to modify it to get it there (same horsepower, brakes, etc). It weighed 500 lbs more too.

I wanted a Fiero when they were new, but my mother forbid it and I got a Trans Am instead. I have owned a Corvette, Porsches, Trans Am, and even a 350z Track Edition in my life, but nothing is as dear to me as Pontiac's Fiero. That is why we own them.

Money is not a problem for those that truly love these little cars. We scrape, save, and barter to aquire what we need. It may take some time but it is worth it.

BTW, I have been looking for another source for a 13" Viper kit other than West Coast's for a while.

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd Getrag
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000099.html

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Direct Link to This Post

can't wait to see them!
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
make the brackets for 88 calipers to be used with 12" vette rotors on 87 and older cars and if the pric is fair i'm in for a set (brackets only) i have everything else.
just a thought...fiero addiction made them but i wasn't ready and did not have the money at the time.
al
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Right! Fieroaddictions Turbo N* with a brand new 4t65e hd, $800 pcs tranny controller, corvette brakes, roll cage and a lot more sold on eBay for $5000 after it was offered here with no takers. He had over $10,000 in it just for parts alone. Partly the economy. Partly us cheap fiero owners.
kazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazooSend a Private Message to kazooDirect Link to This Post
Will these brakes fit stock 15" wheels?
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by War Hammer:

Hi,

Just wanted to say that isn't true. I have around $16k so far in my car. Others I know have decent money in their's as well. I did not get my Fiero because it was cheap - I bought it because of value. Never could you have a car with the performance potential for so little. I will have around 320 HP at the wheels, with konis, 13" Brakes, wide body, custom interior, etc. My $350z was over 42k and I still had to modify it to get it there (same horsepower, brakes, etc). It weighed 500 lbs more too.

I wanted a Fiero when they were new, but my mother forbid it and I got a Trans Am instead. I have owned a Corvette, Porsches, Trans Am, and even a 350z Track Edition in my life, but nothing is as dear to me as Pontiac's Fiero. That is why we own them.

Money is not a problem for those that truly love these little cars. We scrape, save, and barter to aquire what we need. It may take some time but it is worth it.

BTW, I have been looking for another source for a 13" Viper kit other than West Coast's for a while.

Paul

No disrespect meant, but you make up about 5% of Fiero owners and your point is moot. Even people who have disposable income don't want to load it into their Fieros if they can avoid it.. Take a look at AkursedX's car, price drop after price drop its been on sale for months- its one of the quickest/nicest Fieros around apart from the guys running monster turbo 3800s- and what looks like well over 10k in parts alone he hasn't gotten a buyer yet- car is now at $7500. How about fieromadman with his turbo 3400, that thing is a work of art and he probably lost at least 5k selling that. The turbo N* that sold a few months ago was another example. Its just not happening in this economy.

I apologize if I derailed the thread to the OP.

kazoo- This mod will not work with 15" wheels, in fact it might not even work with some 16"s. Your stock spare won't work either.

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 08-29-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post

That sounds like a much better proposition to me. I suspect you'd have a much better market this way. Nothing says you can't do both, but i suspect you'll have an easier tome convincing people to upgrade with this option...

I don't know much about this particular option, does it have a parking brake for us manuL trans owners?

No disrespect meant, but you make up about 5% of Fiero owners and your point is moot. Even people who have disposable income don't want to load it into their Fieros if they can avoid it.. Take a look at AkursedX's car, price drop after price drop its been on sale for months- its one of the quickest/nicest Fieros around apart from the guys running monster turbo 3800s- and what looks like well over 10k in parts alone he hasn't gotten a buyer yet- car is now at $7500. How about fieromadman with his turbo 3400, that thing is a work of art and he probably lost at least 5k selling that. The turbo N* that sold a few months ago was another example. Its just not happening in this economy.

or how about the two SD4's in the mall, each one for about $5k, and no-one's buying them... Wish to hell one was closer so I wouldn't have to tack on $1,300 shipping, then i'd buy one in a heartbeat!
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
i understand where everyone is coming from, these upgrades arent exactly aimed for the average fiero owner, but more for the serious fiero modifier, and kitcar owners. i build parts for kitcars and this is a very affordable route for kitcar builders to get the large exotic brake look and some good stopping performance. the average fiero owner would be more likely to go with a baretta brake setup and be satisfied. as for the fieros that arent being sold for what is expected. that goes with any car. i had a 2nd gen eclipse show car i had well over 50 grand into it. i had around 12 grand in the motor alone. it was an absolutely beautiful car. sold it for 2000 and a 4 wheeler. i had a 04 gsxr 1000 stunt cage and awsome paint job. paid 12 grand put in about 4 grand. sold it for 5. you will never get out what you put in. i built a diablo for a guy local, his total bill was 24000. he put it up forsale a few months later. dropped the price 2 times before he sold it on ebay for 20000. he lost 4 grand for driving it around 2 months.

back on topic. what does everyone think a reasonable price for the brackets and rings would be.
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
this is for 84-87 only. i will be working on a set for 88 shortly
fierofan25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
I sell my 88 brackets for 105$ shipped. that is 4 brackets. I think that is reasonable. thanks
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post

I apologize if I derailed the thread to the OP.

kazoo- This mod will not work with 15" wheels, in fact it might not even work with some 16"s. Your stock spare won't work either.

I understand what you are saying, however, many of us who are putting larger amounts of cash into our cars have no intention of selling them so your point is also moot. I agree that a $1500 price tag isn't for everyone but why are we always going to lowest common denomenator?

Just my $0.02
Squeaky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SqueakySend a Private Message to SqueakyDirect Link to This Post
Cheetahonline.com sells brackets for 12" Corvette rotors, that utilize 85' Corvette calipers for the front and 88'-96' Corvette calipers for the rear. All four brackets are $100.00.
http://www.cheetahonline.co...-upgrade-adapters-3/

I priced it out, it could be done using reman calipers and new rotors all for around $800.00.

That's the route I plan on taking.

[This message has been edited by Squeaky (edited 09-01-2011).]

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
yes but from what i understand there are alot of people on here that say cheetah rips you off, never delivers and when they do the bolt holes dont match up. but if it doesnt work out im always here........

heres the pics of the set i have at home.

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Looks great... those crazy bolt holes on the rotors are making me dizzy, though.
McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyDirect Link to This Post
Dont know if its something i missed or not but what size wheels fit over the calipers and all? would i have to use different then factory wheels?
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Ready to buy the brackets and rings! -Jason
PFF
System Bot
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
We all never came to a good price on the brackets and rings. I cant come anywhere close to 100 like cheetahs awsome quality. Lol. Whats fair?
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
So this is for 12" rotors?

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
yes 12" 1988 corvette rotors
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
I need price ideas!
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroDirect Link to This Post
Still needing price ideas on what u would pay for the brackets and rings
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Well, you said you can't come close to Cheetah's awesome price and quality, which means you want more than $100 for a set. Or, I read it wrong and you can do it for less....Throw out a price that you'd like to get and I'm sure we (the interested parties) can come up with a fair price (to you and for us). -Jason
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzDirect Link to This Post
I went over to Cheetah's site and the $100 is for just the brackets. If you want the concentric rings that is another $40.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Yet, another bracket thread dies......
Greenmeansgo

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenmeansgoSend a Private Message to GreenmeansgoDirect Link to This Post
Hes a scammer anyways
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock