Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  93 Z-24 getrag (5 speed). Unknown mileage.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

93 Z-24 getrag (5 speed). Unknown mileage. by Trinten
Started on: 01-04-2011 05:38 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Raydar on 01-07-2011 01:01 AM
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
***!!! SOLD !!!*** ***!!! SOLD !!!*** ***!!! SOLD !!!*** ***!!! SOLD !!!*** ***!!! SOLD !!!*** ***!!! SOLD !!!***

So about a year ago I bought this 93 Z-24 Getrag 5 speed, with a blue shaft on the gears (was told it was a marker to denote a factory improvement in the series). Mileage unknown. John Miller (here on PFF sold it to me) said he checked the bearings and that they were good. It wa crated up and shipped to me with a 5 speed shifter for $270.00. I have not opened the crate.

Seeing how I am going to go with the F23 in the event of my muncie exploding, I don't need to keep this around. The only thing I'll probably do is take out the five speed shifter, since I'm likely to need that.

Looking for reasonable offers. Obviously will take less if you can pick it up or I can drop it off instead of shipping it.

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 01-06-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Are there gearing changes between different applications of various Getrag trannys?

------------------
Jonathan
1987 Notchie - Reborn with 2.8V6/Getrag
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
I am not certain. I know there are for some transmissions, I don't know if the Cavalier was one of them. I tried doing a quick google search with no results, I'll try digging through PFF and see if I can find out here for you and post.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Does it have the V6 bolt pattern or the Quad 4 pattern?
Is this the one with the internal hydraulic throwout bearing?
Do you know which VSS it has? The one for the Cavalier? Or has it been retrofitted for the Fiero?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-04-2011).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Hey Raydar,

Okay, info update!

It's the internal HTOB (from John), it's the V6 bolt pattern (from looking up the 93 Cavalier z24), no work to convert it for use in a Fiero has been done (so you'd need to do something like a Dakota for the speedo) and here are it's gear ratios:
HM-282:

1st 3.50
2nd 2.05
3rd 1.38
4th 0.94
5th 0.72
Axle 3.61

The information on it's ratios I found at this site:
http://www.gmperformancetun...-5-speed-tranny.html
Which goes into the different gearing depending on which car they came out of. The Cavalier is a "J-body", so that it's gear ratios (Unless I totally misread something from between Wiki and that thread)
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Replied - I'm tryiing to find an inexpensive way to ship this. Sent a PM to John Miller asking him what service he used when he shipped it to me... since so far the cheapest thing I've found has been 400 bucks!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Last one I shipped was about $100

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Lowes used to sell some heavy tote boxes for about $15... perfect size for shipping a getrag. Just put a piece of plywood on the bottom, drill a few holes, bolt the tranny down and then bolt the top on:

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guru!

It's already crated up, I'll be opening it just to get the 5 speed shifter out and the buttoning it back up the way I received it. It seems pretty compact. What shipper did you use?
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
92-94 cavalier uses NVG (new venture gear) T550 transmission just so you guys know. its basically an updated version of the 282, and uses internal slave instead of external

gear ratio is the same
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

Thanks Guru!

It's already crated up, I'll be opening it just to get the 5 speed shifter out and the buttoning it back up the way I received it. It seems pretty compact. What shipper did you use?

I used Fed Ex Ground or UPS... just took it to a mailing center and chose the cheapest route. I priced shipping a 4T65e-hd (about 75 lbs heavier and a larger skid) at the same place via UPS freight and it was about $217.
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the additional info Scott, and thanks Guru! For some reason I thought I'd have to ship this as "less than truckload" freight - which is why I was getting such crazy prices.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
SOLD!

Thank you Raydar!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Trinten!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock