WTB '88 trunk release solenoid by ekinodum
Started on: 04-17-2010 11:23 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: ekinodum on 06-19-2010 10:44 PM
ekinodum

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ekinodumSend a Private Message to ekinodumDirect Link to This Post
I tried to swap out the trunk release solenoid from my '87 to my '88, but it appears to have a different plug/wiring configuration- the '87 has a single wire feeding it, where the '88 appears to have a 3-wire plug (at least that's the wire I found when I took the assembly off). Am I completely off-base?
Does anyone have a solenoid available for an '88?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I think the solenoid gets one wire and the Ajar switch gets a wire. Can't remember about a third. As far as I know all the wiring harnesses are the same with a three-wire connector at the firewall.

Jonathan
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Edit... made a blooper so I changed this post to the following...

The solenoids are interchangeable between all years and have one black wire. The three wire connector you're looking at that's attached to the decklid latch is for trunk ajar and trunk light circuits. These three wires meet up with the one black/white striped wire for the solenoid inside the decklid and come out near the RH decklid hinge in a four pin connector.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 04-17-2010).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The solenoid (and the wire) aren't part of the decklid... they are attached to the body of the car. The solenoid will only have one black wire going to it and they are interchaneable between all years. The three wire connector you're looking at that's attached to the decklid latch is for trunk ajar and trunk light circuits.

Mine is a four pin connector. 3 wires go to the ajar switch, and 1 for the trunk popper. I am installing the trunk popper on my 88, and got the solenoid from a 84. They were the same setup.
ekinodum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ekinodumSend a Private Message to ekinodumDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all- this helps a lot. I will dig a little deeper into the decklid to find out where to connect the popper.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
These solenoids can be found on many GMs, and Chryslers as well, same part number. They quit using this style in about 90.
The latch was used on other Gms also. On those cars they were mounted before the inside of the trunks were painted.
Throw one in paint stripper, relube it, and you will have one that looks new.

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 04-18-2010).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
If your car didn't come with electric trunk pop, then you have to run the wire through the decklid
ekinodum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ekinodumSend a Private Message to ekinodumDirect Link to This Post
It came to me with a trunk release switch on the dash, but no solenoid in the trunk. I don't know what it had originally, but it has obviously been changed somewhere along the line.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
bump so I can leave positive feedback for ekinodum
ekinodum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ekinodumSend a Private Message to ekinodumDirect Link to This Post
back at you, tbone42!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock