Aluminum/UMHW control arm bushing 84-87 by SpeedWorksAutoTuning
Started on: 03-10-2008 12:39 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: 1986 Fiero GT on 08-23-2009 08:12 PM
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
I will be making bushings for the rear control arms in a 84-87 Fiero. They will have a aluminun outer shell UMHW liner and a aluminum inner sleeve. I would do all aluminum, but I am afraid of the wear characterisitcs of aluminum rubbing. UMHW also has its self lubricating property that would promote long life and theses bushings will not bind or squeek like poly. They will also be greasable.

What I think I want to do is sell complete control arms with the bushings already installed, and maybe charge a core that will be refunded as soon as I get some in return. This is so I can set the bushings up with the grease fittings and make sure everything is going to fit perfectly.

None of the details are set in stone yet, but I want to know if there would be any interest in such items, and what details should be changed/added to make them better? I am going to start making the first set next week, and the rest will follow.

I havent settled on a price yet because I am not sure about how I will sell them yet.
------------------
S.W.A.T.

[This message has been edited by SpeedWorksAutoTuning (edited 03-10-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RichLo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of stock control arms out and ready to send you as a core when you do start selling them! I'll be your first costomer.

One thing that might help is that many people that buy these solid bushngs are probably using their fieros as drag racers (like me) or extreme auto-x or street racers so boxing in the bottom of the control arm will give better strength and much less flex. I would definatly be interested in buying a rear lower control arm set from you!!!

be sure to PM me or email me at RichLo65@hotmail.com when your ready to sell. thanks!

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
dual stage nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
I would be interested in a set of those. Keep us posted on the progress.

Craig

------------------

ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
I will look into the 88 rear too. I think my buddy has his rear suspension all apart.

After a lot of thinking, and to ensure a proper fit and smoothness of travel I decided to make the whole outer part UMHW, and the inner sleeve Most likely aluminum.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

[This message has been edited by SpeedWorksAutoTuning (edited 03-10-2008).]

DarkRanger4200

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarkRanger4200Click Here to visit DarkRanger4200's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarkRanger4200Direct Link to This Post
I'll have to see once i get my car running.

------------------
"willing is not enough, we must do. knowing is not enough we must apply" -Bruce Lee-

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
The bushings will be 100% Aluminum. I have been told by many sources that the material will not show any adverse wear characteristics when regularly greased.

The bushings will be sold without control arms. I can do a complete setup with arms but it will cost extra. I was thinking of having the control arms powder coated, and then installing the bushings. I dont hink everyone that is willing to buy the product would be willing to pay the premium I think this would be worth. If that interests you PM me and we can work the details out.

So, now for the bushings. Like I said they will be all aluminum, and will be internally grooved for grease to spread, and will be drilled and tapped for a grease fitting (supplied with the kit). They will have a really tight tolerance, but will not bind as poly does, nor should they squeek. Assuming the owner that buys these is in rehular maintenance of his vehicle, they should also last the lifetime of the car.

For all four rears, I am asking $125.oo to your door in the U.S.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

Dracor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DracorSend a Private Message to DracorDirect Link to This Post
I might be interested in these when I decide on a suspension solution.
And thats after I am done with the engine swap, so it could be a few months.

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ICouldaBeenAV8:

They can't be made for an 88. A few of the bushings aren't on the right axis; there is not just rotation about the center axis of the bushing. Aluminum/UHMW bushings would bind and prevent your suspension from moving at all. They have to be compliant to work. The 84-87 rear suspension has a ball joint and a tie rod for toe.. those can rotate on two axes; they are really just spherical bearings. The control arm bushings are on the same axis and only have to rotate on that axis.

The solution for 88s is to use spherical rod ends, which allow movement on two axes. Held sells a set of these, as does WCF. They replace all the links with lightweight aluminum ones, and the bushings with steel rod ends.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 03-17-2008).]

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I have to agree with him ^. I have heard about that several times before.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
Ok, final decision is the bushings will be aluminum center with UMHW outer like the ones 8shark used to sell. Since this will be a lot easier to machinethe price will 85.oo shipped to your door.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

1984-87 Aluminum Cradle bushings $85.oo

PFF
System Bot
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a set for $85 shipped. pm me your paypal adress. thanks.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
built 5-speed getrag

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
Well since I have the materials to make the aluminum setup, I am willing to make aluminum ones for the same price as the UMHW until the material is gone. I have enough for maybe three sets. When you wanna order specify which one.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

1984-81 UMHW Rear control arm bushings $85.oo

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
Pictures coming

What I have so far is all the internal work done, I have some inner sleeves machined, and I have the UMHW fully grooved on the inside to accomadate 360degree greasing.

I will try to have a few sets finished tomorrow, so more pictures of finshed parts will come.
------------------
S.W.A.T.

[This message has been edited by SpeedWorksAutoTuning (edited 03-27-2008).]

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
looks great, Im looking forward to my set!

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
built 5-speed getrag

speed1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for speed1Send a Private Message to speed1Direct Link to This Post
I was looking to buy 8shark's UMHW front control arm bushings but he no longer sells the bushings. I just want to get rid of the sqeak from the poly. I could always go back to rubber but any chance of making a set for the front upper and lower control arms?

[This message has been edited by speed1 (edited 03-28-2008).]

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
Fronts will be next.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
More pics!

--Allen

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by speed1:

I was looking to buy 8shark's UMHW front control arm bushings but he no longer sells the bushings. I just want to get rid of the sqeak from the poly. I could always go back to rubber but any chance of making a set for the front upper and lower control arms?

If you put grease fittings on your poly and grease them the same time you grease your ball joints and tie rods, they will never squeak and will last a long time.

Poly is a little less stiff than UHMW though.

It should be interesting to see how long these UHMW bushings last.

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
I finished up the final touches on my first set, complete with grease fitting. I really like how they came out. The aluminum in the center is a snug fit, and when I installed the grease fitting and hooked up the gun to them grease oozed right out the ends where I chamfered the bushings. I am pretty sure the grease is getting all the way around, following the groove I cut inside the UMHW.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

PFF
System Bot
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
Great. looking forward to them!

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
built 5-speed getrag

RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
I just got my set of 4 rear lower UMHW bushings in the mail and they look GREAT! They are machined to very tight tolerances and have grease fittings installed already. I dont have them installed yet, but they look like they will perform perfectly.

I'll be burning out the old rubbder ones soon and I'll be sure to let everyone know how they work out for me. Thanks SWAT! I'll be contacting you about those Blazer lift blocks this summer when I get more time and money also.

Great quality, easy to work with, and super service for whatever you need. you just got a + from me.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
built 5-speed getrag

gt7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt7Send a Private Message to gt7Direct Link to This Post
Do you mean UHMW (ultra high molecular wear) ? I am a machinist and we make some bushings out of this (UHMW) for commercial manufacturing customers.

------------------
Tom
Suffolk, Va
87 Gt 350-5spd

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
Yeah thats the stuff.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

380 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Yeah thats the stuff.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Hmm...looks like we may be doing business again. The rear cradle bushings are so nice, I want your products all around!
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
I just got out of the shop and developed something I think you guys would really like!!!! I am going to start a new thread!

------------------
S.W.A.T.

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
ttt
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by speed1:

If I recall correctly, 8Shark made offset front bushings... at least for the 88.

------------------
FierOmar

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
He made offset bushings for the 84-87 also.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/042111.html
1984-87 UHMW Rear control arm bushings $85.oo
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/041461.html
1984-1987 B.B. Control arm bushings $145.oo
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/042116.html

PFF
System Bot
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
ttt. All control arms are now available.
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SpeedWorksAutoTuning:

ttt. All control arms are now available.

Does this mean 84-87 and 88? And, did you mean to say "Bushings for all control arms are now available."

------------------
FierOmar

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
I am now able to make 84-87 control arms front and rear. I can also do the front of an 88.
ouphe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oupheSend a Private Message to oupheDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to bump such an old thread but any members running these care to share how well the product has held up?

[This message has been edited by ouphe (edited 05-03-2009).]

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Ever ship any of these, SpeedWorks? I'd like to grab a set, if possible.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock