F/S - MSD Ignition box and wiring harness by chrishahn87
Started on: 11-16-2008 07:15 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: chrishahn87 on 12-02-2008 07:41 PM
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
****SOLD****
Thank you!

MSD 6AL ignition box with GM connect wiring harness.

This ignition box was on my Fiero V6 before I installed the V8. Since this is a 6AL box, it is only able to be used on a V6 or 4-cyl engine. Cannot be used on a V8 (had to cut a wire - I can explain more if you dont know about this box)

Asking $160.00, shipping included to lower 48 cont. US states.

[This message has been edited by chrishahn87 (edited 12-02-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nilknarf

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent!
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
Man I wish you posted this about 10 days ago. I would have not replaced my dist.
Good luck!
Sparx22
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
P/M's replied
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
Any interest? This is a pretty good deal, compared to buying both new!

The 6AL comes with everything that it had in the box when it was brand new!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Why wont it work with a V8?
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I am using a 6AL on my 47 Chevy with a 506! Why won't this one work on a V8?
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:
Cannot be used on a V8 (had to cut a wire - I can explain more if you dont know about this box)

I had this 6AL box on my Fiero when I had a V6 (3.4OHV). I currently have a 350c.i. V8 in that same Fiero, and that also has a 6AL box, so yes, I know that a 6AL box will work with a V8.

If you have a MSD 6AL box, you will know that it is able to be used with a 4, 6, or 8 cyl motor. When it is made, it is calibrated to work with an eight cylinder motor. On the side of the actual MSD 6AL box there is a little black "cap". Remove this cap and you will see two wire "loops". You do not modify anything if you plan to use an 8cyl - you cut ONE of these "loops" if you plan to use a 6cyl - or you cut both of these "loops" if you plan to use a 4cyl motor.

Since I had this box installed on a 3.4L (ohv) V6 motor, I had to cut ONE of the "loops" which will disable this box from being used on a V8 motor.

I believe these loops is what lets the "REV limiter" inside the MSD box know how many cylinders the motor has.

If you need any more info, or dont believe me, please say so, I will copy the page of the instructions that come with the box that says what I wrote above

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:

I had this 6AL box on my Fiero when I had a V6 (3.4OHV). I currently have a 350c.i. V8 in that same Fiero, and that also has a 6AL box, so yes, I know that a 6AL box will work with a V8.

If you have a MSD 6AL box, you will know that it is able to be used with a 4, 6, or 8 cyl motor. When it is made, it is calibrated to work with an eight cylinder motor. On the side of the actual MSD 6AL box there is a little black "cap". Remove this cap and you will see two wire "loops". You do not modify anything if you plan to use an 8cyl - you cut ONE of these "loops" if you plan to use a 6cyl - or you cut both of these "loops" if you plan to use a 4cyl motor.

Since I had this box installed on a 3.4L (ohv) V6 motor, I had to cut ONE of the "loops" which will disable this box from being used on a V8 motor.

I believe these loops is what lets the "REV limiter" inside the MSD box know how many cylinders the motor has.

If you need any more info, or dont believe me, please say so, I will copy the page of the instructions that come with the box that says what I wrote above

I believe you, I was just wondering if it could be fixed to use on my V8. It sounds like a good deal and I was interested if it could be made to work on my V8.
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I believe you, I was just wondering if it could be fixed to use on my V8. It sounds like a good deal and I was interested if it could be made to work on my V8.

Since that one wire was cut, I dont know. Its up to you if you wanted to crack it open and try to solder a new wire in, basically completing that circuit so the box thinks that it is powering a V8. Im not personally going to mess with that though.

Let me know if you want to take a hack at it?
Chris
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

chrishahn87

1584 posts
Member since Dec 2004
To clarify what I posted earlier.

Here is a picture of the black "cap" that needs to be removed to get to the wire "loops":

Here is a picture of the wire "loops", you can notice that one has been cut (to enable use on a V6 engine):

If you chose to solder a wire onto the cut wire and reconnect that circuit, you would be able to use this on a V8 engine.

Here is a picture of the page on the MSD 6AL installation instruction manual:

If anyone needs more information, please ask!
Chris
PFF
System Bot
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2008 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
MSD box still available.
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
Had some interest, but no buyers. Still available
Lee Phillips

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lee PhillipsSend a Private Message to Lee PhillipsDirect Link to This Post
Check PM - I want it.
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lee Phillips:

Check PM - I want it.

Got the pm, sent one back.

Rec'd paypal, MSD box is SOLD!

Thank you!!!
Chris

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave