Started on: 05-17-2008 07:02 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Riceburner98 on 05-20-2008 04:27 PM
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Cleaning out the living room.. lol This battery tray supoprt thingy was removed from an '86 parts car, it was screwed in place on *top* of a severely rusted out one, wasn't welded in at all. There's a part # (14788787) stamped on it, and a GM part # of 10071787 in ink, which I just looked up on GMpartsdirect and they list it for $32 list / $19 their price... Doh! Anyway, just in case someone wants one for $5 and shipping or something like that... It does have some surface rust that I was cleaning off, but got tired of hand sanding. The metal is quite solid, definitely not rusted through anywhere. Just didn't realize it was still for sale for that cheap from GM. Maybe someone local wants it?

------------------
Bob Williams
Working on the next 3800 swap, it works now!!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I'll take it.

I'm just going out the door, but what would shipping be using USPS to Blaine Washington 98230 ?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-17-2008).]

bkfly1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkfly1Click Here to visit bkfly1's HomePageSend a Private Message to bkfly1Direct Link to This Post
Just sent you an email. I'm #2 in line if Patrick doesn't end up taking it.

------------------
86 GT 5-speed, 88 Coupe Auto
Webmaster, NIFE
www.fierofocus.com

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Wow, cool! Wasn't actually expecting much interest.. I'll have to check on shipping on Monday, I'm actually heading out the door right now for a baptism.. I normally ship stuff Priority mail, but being so big I think normal mail will be the way to go. I'll let you know though!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

Wasn't actually expecting much interest.

Well, in my case I'm looking for something inexpensive and not necessarily in perfect shape because it's liable to be temporary. I recently bought an ‘86 GT and the battery tray is so corroded it’s falling apart. Eventually I’d like to mount the battery up front, but in the meantime I need to hold the battery in place properly where it is.

Bob, I’ve copied a couple of images found on the ‘net, and my question is about the black “support” bracket shown. I don’t suppose you have that piece as well, do you? I can’t tell from looking at my corroded mess if the support bracket comes off the tray part or not. Or perhaps I can just screw the tray on top as you apparently did.

One last request Bob. Could you also get a price to mail the tray directly to Vancouver BC V5L4S9. If for some reason that’s not possible, or if it turns out that shipping is a whole lot more expensive, then the Blaine Washington 98230 address would be fine. I normally have my US purchases sent to a friend’s place just across the border and he brings them back for me (as he goes back and forth normally once a week), but he’s going to be out of town for two to three weeks, and it would be great if I could get the battery tray sooner than that. Thanks.
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIDirect Link to This Post
FYI incase someone is looking for one with extra sheetmetal
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Now there's a good picture of what it *should* look like assembled... (In John's eBay ad) All that was in the car was the piece that I have, the battery was just sitting on top of it. I didn't realize the small metal piece even went on top of it.. Unfortunately I don't have the little piece. It looks like it was to add strength under the battery? Just checked / found it on the Fierostore, man that little thing is $$! Still $19 on GMpartsdirect, but shipping is probably that much too... If it is only temporary you'd probably be OK with just the big bracket part, as that was what the guy had in the car (held in by 3 screws no less..), and I'm pretty sure it was that way before he got the car and drove it. (I don't think the guy I bought it from had done any work to it.) Worse case you could probably use a thicker sheet of flat metal on top of it, or an off-the-shelf plastic battery support thing if you needed to.. (like a corrugated tray liner thing, I know I've seen them attached to the bottom of batteries before) I'll check shipping to both places when I get home and let you know. (at work now) I'll take a look at UPS and Fedex while I'm at it for giggles, they're usually more $ than the Post Office though from my experience.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

I'll check shipping to both places when I get home and let you know.

Great, thanks.

Bob, I’m just curious, but if your tray didn’t have the second support piece, how was your battery actually being held in place? As far as I can tell, it’s the support piece that has the “nut” on it that the battery clamp screws into.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-19-2008).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Good question! The bigger piece has a square hole in it where the nut would be located, but I'm not sure what the guy had used (if anything!) to hold the battery in. I bought the car from a guy who saw me driving mine at a Taco Bell. He'd bought the '86 GT from someone else and had driven it for a while before the engine blew something out the side. (there was oil *everywhere* in the engine bay, but I never did see a hole in the block..) He then bought an '85 GT to use the engine from, but the cradle of the '86 was rusted so badly (98% of the way through in some spots!) that he never did the swap, and eventually his mom made him get rid of them. I towed both back to my buddy's house where I stripped off the '86 GT body for my own car, and saved a couple good parts. Funny thing was from the doors forward, the '86 had very very little rust. Even the front suspension looked great. They must have stored it with the back end in the ocean for a while.. Given that the kid was driving the car around with the engine about ready to fall through the cradle, I wouldn't be surprised if the battery was just sitting there. I seem to remember the battery cable being cut up from the pullies, but I can't remember how it was being held in. (I had them a few years ago now..) There may have been enough of the old one underneath to be using the nut from it... I'm assuming the smaller metal piece would be welded to the larger piece, right? I wonder why it wasn't just all one piece from the factory..? You'd have to grind down, weld, then re-paint if you bought the 2 seperately new? Seems strange for a GM part.. I'd offer to take the one out of my 3800 car, but it's long since been replaced with an overflow bottle.. (you can see grass through there in my sig! lol ) When I bought this car, the whole battery area was gone (battery leak) and the battery was / is still just floating around in the front tire compartment.. I've got to come up with a mount up there for that before I can drive it on the road..
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

Riceburner98

2179 posts
Member since Apr 2002
16"x12"x6" package, 3 lbs

Post office:
-> Washington
2 day Priority Mail: $11.10
7 day Parcel Post: $8.12

-> Canada
5 day Express Mail international: $31.05
6-10 day Priority Mail international: $18.81
?? day First-Class Mail International: $12.36 (time varies?)

UPS:
-> Washington
3 Day Select: $26.00
5 Day Ground: $9.10

-> Canada
3 day UPS Worldwide Expedited: $84.00 (!!!)
(May 29) UPS Standard: $15.68

(I would assume there would also be duty / fees in Canada if using UPS??)

FedEx:
-> Washington
3 Day: $32.06
5 Day: $9.10

-> Canada
3 Day: $81.00 (!!)
6 Day: $15.46
(+ duty / whatever on your end??)

It's crazy that you can get it to Washington in 2 days for $11, but it's an extra $70 to get it over the border in 1 additional day! Just nuts... Also when shipping into Canada, is the recipient required to pay fees on used stuff, or is that only on new goods? I don't ship to Canada very often...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Oh sure, I’ll have the battery tray shipped directly to Vancouver by UPS Worldwide Expedited for $84.00...

I think not.

7 day Parcel Post to Blaine Washington for $8.12 sounds a whole lot better.

That’s quite interesting seeing all the options and prices available!

Regarding "fees" for items shipped across the border, normally if the value of the item is below $20, there's nothing collected by the post office. However, the private carriers gouge something fierce with their "brokerage" fees, so I avoid using them altogether. Usually though, I just have my US purchases sent to my buddy's address across the border in Washington State to help save a few dollars on shipping.

Bob, PM me a total and your PayPal info and we’ll finish this off there. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, the shipping cost breakdown is pretty frightening! Can't imagine why it costs that much extra just to cross the border, I mean is it really $70 more work for them? The package probably follows pretty close to the same route except at the end.. Nuts. I'll send you a PM, and should have it in the mail in the morning. Thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock