Started on: 04-18-2008 10:36 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: lou_dias on 07-07-2008 03:27 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I am having the Fiero Factory put in a 4.9 into my yellow turbo 3.1 car.
The motor turns but has problems running. The waste-gate cracked off the cross-over pipe and needs to be re-welded on. I blew the headgasket and replaced it along with fresh polished heads, SI Fiero Store valve set, new lifters, polished intake. I believe I may have bad rings as well. The motor was overheated when I blew the head gasket. New NGK UR5 plugs. I had the internals of the turbo swapped out with the internals of a rebuilt unit from a different applications. It's a KKK K26/6 turbo.
When it ran well, it ran extremely well. Power drop off at 4600 rpm as it's a bit under-sized for a 3.1, but for a 2.8 would probably spin well to 5200... Boost would come on from 2000 rpm up. For a 2.8 expect 2200 rpm... Compression on this motor was 8.5:1. Included would be the boost gauge and the Buick ESC controller and the entire assembly, just pulled off the tranny.

I am willing to include the entire 2.5" exhaust system as I believe an exhaust is included with Ed's 4.9 installation. Current boost is limited to 8psi at the waste-gate. 19# injectors are installed.
I Ed will have it all removed by the time the swap meet occurs incase anyone wants to pick it up.

If you are looking to put this on a 3.4 block, I recommend lowering the compression to 8.5 and swapping in the K26/8 hot-side and machining the housing to accept the K27 impeller as this should be able to produce well over 300hp at 10psi. I was in the neighborhood of 185rwhp at 8psi with the K26/6 stock. The hybrid I recommend should fly past 6000rpm...

Includes Fiero Store aluminum flywheel that was just installed with a 9 3/4" clutch but I think the clutch will be used with the 4.9 kit since it has ~100 miles on it. $400 value for the flywheel alone...has same mielage as clutch. Also has Sprint coated manifolds on the heads...and over $500 value. All that needs to be done is reweld the waste-gate to the cross-over and swap the block and remount the knock sensor on the new block. Ofcourse this will require full dis-assembly of the motor, obviously. On a stock 2.8 block with 8.9 stock compression, I would probably modify the waste-gate to limit boost to 6psi... The waste-gate is a Volvo unit, with #'s on it so I'm sure it could be researched for modification purposes. The trubo came from an 80's Volvo, specific make model and year unknown. Probably an '85. Again, the #'s are on the turbo and could be researched.

All reasobable offers considered. You would be able to truck it home at the annual swap meet in 10 days or atleast make arrangements then....

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 04-18-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
bump
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
bump
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
couple weeks to late or i probably wouldve bought it.
EMX5636

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EMX5636Send a Private Message to EMX5636Direct Link to This Post
Any interest to sell just the flywheel separate? I already have a full t04/t3 3400 in my Fiero, so the rest is of no use to me. But I'll be swapping trans soon, and am running a stock flywheel. Would like the upgrade. PM me or let me know,

Good luck with the sale for everything...

Justin W...

also, post up some pics, I'm sure you'll get some interest.

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula 4-spd- 3400sfi custom turbo install with a 60-1. Haltech ECU. Here comes 300+whp
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - under the knife
1992 S10 4x4 - lowered, bike/quad hauler, dd
1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
2003 Honda 440ex
1986 Kawi Ninja 600R - for sale
1987 Yamaha Warrior - for sale

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

couple weeks to late or i probably wouldve bought it.

Well, I may have the motor shipped back up here if no one buys it. I will probably dis-assemble it and sell everything but the short block. I may keep the majority of the exhaust for my 3400 block'd 6 speed car.
I don't think my 9.8:1 compression would work well with the turbo though...

This turbo is perfect for a 2.8. If I had a garage, I would just swap everything over to my 86GT auto that's still for sale but goesn't go higher than 1st gear (does reverse, park and neutral).
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
A bump because my car arrived at the Fiero Factory this afternoon.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I got all the parts back at my place. Who wants what? Exhaust was cut in pieces and will need to be rewelded or however you want to re-attach it together. Flywheel is in great shape. I wrapped the heads in cellophane...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock