Started on: 03-08-2008 04:46 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: olejoedad on 03-23-2008 08:21 AM
Vonov

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Price $2500
What you get: 1988 Formula, 134K, auto, 4.9 w/4T60E (overdrive trans) installed by Fiero Factory, American Racing 15" wheels w/good rubber, set of factory Formula/GT wheels with almost new tires mounted and balanced, Fiero Store hitch, glovebox, aftermarket stereo w/Sony speakers (6x9 front, 4x6 rear) tilt, cruise, A/C, self dimming mirror w/courtesy lights, antenna delete, no sunroof, rear defogger, interior in fair condition, usual damage to corners of dash. Car has passed emissions cleaner than the V-6 that came in it every time tested. A B&M vacuum modulator control is installed on the trans, which makes the shifts somewhat crisper than the factory Eldorado settings. I've put about 10K on the car since the 4.9 was installed 2 years ago (I have a work vehicle I have to drive to and from work, or it would get driven more.); the thing does not understand what a hill is, it doesn't downshift even when charging up Monteagle Mountain. The car runs and drives very nicely; I drove it to and from Bowling Green twice a month last year, with no problems except for the AC mentioned below.

The bad: AC system works when charged w/R134, but has a slow leak somewhere in the system; compressor needs replacement, as it will lock up after 20 miles or so of freeway driving until it cools again. I am willing to demonstrate the veracity of this at my expense. The cruise control simply quit working one day and I have not had the time to track it down; it may be something as minor as a relay. (Odd thing is, it didn't work when I bought the car, and after installation of the V-8, it did. Go figure.)
The asking price is quite fair, considering the fact that the conversion costs as much as I am asking for the car, and everything else included; I will not take less, so please do not ask. There are already several people interested; I will sell to whoever puts cash in my hand first.
Here are photos of the car. In one photo, taken from the rear, the car is running; what is in the picture is vapor (it's cold), not smoke.
The first is taken with the factory wheels:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Here is another photo taken with the wheels currently mounted on the car:

Here I've pulled back the seat cover; the material is showing some wear, but better condition than average for these cars:
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004
The headlight motors (new bushings a year ago) work very nicely, both up:

And down:
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004
Mileage is actual (except for the motor & trans):

Overall shot of the interior:

One of the horn paddles is broken. You'll notice a few drops of coffee spilled on the center armrest; this car gets driven, and I haven't shined it up or anything for these pictures, as a number of people have been anxious to see what the car looks like.

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 03-08-2008).]

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004
This car is quite presentable. People think I'm exaggerating when I tell them the car is 20 years old:

And for light towing, it's hard to match for panache and torque in a small package, lol...

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004
The End...
cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
I wish you were closer.

Would this work to make it driveable long distance:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
Gto1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gto1966Send a Private Message to Gto1966Direct Link to This Post
How about some engine pics.
ardenQ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ardenQSend a Private Message to ardenQDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
CCCharlie, it's driveable long distance now; the pulley doesn't lock up, just the compressor. IOW, as long as you leave the compressor off, it's fine. I drive it all the time.

Engine pics...

As you can see, with the battery tray gone and the battery relocated, the pulleys on the front of the motor are easily accessible.

24ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 24ballSend a Private Message to 24ballDirect Link to This Post
How many miles on the 4.9?
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
One other thing, in the interest of full disclosure; I don't want anyone to come back and say I ripped them off because I didn't tell them...

I bought the car from Ed Parks, who bought it at an insurance auction in Illinois. The car had been in an accident on the right front, with MOST of the damage being cosmetic, but the sheet metal on that corner underneath was crumpled. I straightened it on a frame machine, with the assistance of a 27-year body man. Our goal was to bring it back to within 1/8" of where it had been originally. The handling of the car when I purchased it was unaffected; I drove it the 90+ miles from Huntsville to Nashville without a single twitch. We did better than we expected, the headlights work flawlessly, which we expected to have some issues with, but the scars are still there if you look closely. If I were to keep the car, at some point I would graft new metal from a donor into that corner. Without further ado:

And here's a photo taken of the exterior today:

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004
Since the Eldorado had a digital odometer, and the owner never dropped the keys at the wrecker company, in all honesty, I don't know. Best guess, 80 - 100K, based on the age and condition of the car at the time. The car appeared to be well maintained; the wrecker operator told me the girl driving blew through a light on her cell phone in boyfriend's car; it was hit just aft of the passenger side windshield pillar. It doesn't smoke and runs very strong, kinda like being pushed from behind by a runaway freight train.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004
Meant to post it earlier...my phone is 615-336-0575

Tony
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
A running 4.9 swap for $2500???

Folks, this is the deal of the century. Having done two of these swaps, I can tell you from experience that the drivetrain, harness, and exhaust will cost you this much....and that's not counting the rest of the swap and the labor. Not to mention having a Fiero to start with.

Replace the A/C compressor, fix the cruise, and still come in under $3000 for a running V8 Fiero.

If you've ever wanted a V8 fiero, jump on this immediately.
KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCDirect Link to This Post
Agreed.

I'd be buying this today myself if I could've put the full 2500 in his hand. if its still there in a couple weeks (doubt it) it'll be in my driveway....
ardenQ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ardenQSend a Private Message to ardenQDirect Link to This Post
PM me payment address.

Thanks,
Jamie
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Friz...I always get a laugh every time I see ol' Muttley...
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

Thanks, Friz...I always get a laugh every time I see ol' Muttley...

LOL....I loved Dick Dastardly and Muttley when I was a kid......"MUTTLEY!!!! DO SOMETHING!!!"" I even had a poodle named Muttley when I was a tyke.

Good luck on selling a great looking V8 Formula....it ain't gonna take long at that price.

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:
LOL....I loved Dick Dastardly and Muttley when I was a kid......"MUTTLEY!!!! DO SOMETHING!!!""

...and Muttley just stands there and gives out with that wheezing snicker...and he's laughing at DASTARDLY, too, lol!!!
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004
Ok, an agreement has been reached...if for some reason, however, the buyer decides not to take delivery when he comes to pick it up, his payment will be refunded in full, and the car will be available to the next person with cash in hand. I will notify by PM those who have already expressed interest in buying the car. As I've said before, I want to be as transparent as possible in this process. If the buyer does not take delivery, I will post the reason for it, if he somehow finds a wart I've not mentioned. I want anyone interested to know precisely what they are buying, which is the only way to honestly deal.

I didn't realize I'd be starting a stampede, lol...
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

...I didn't realize I'd be starting a stampede, lol...

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:
A running 4.9 swap for $2500???
....If you've ever wanted a V8 fiero, jump on this immediately.

I'm with Muttley. Errr.... Frizlefrack.
If I had the space, I'd have been all over this.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-08-2008).]

ardenQ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ardenQSend a Private Message to ardenQDirect Link to This Post
Payment sent, Thanks again Tony.

Jamie
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
This has to be a record for the fastest car sale in PFF history.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Probably not the fastest, but right up there...timing is everything. Tax refund time = good. Three weeks into November = not so good. Week between Christmas & New Year = lousy.
Good value also helps...and the right group to pitch it to.
t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
Can't believe I missed this car
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Thank the Lord! Somebody saved me a trip to Nashville along with an explanation to the wife!
t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
Heck I'm burried in 2 foot of snow I'd pay twice the price just for the excuse to get out of here.
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
I was just about to jump all over it!!!!
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Well, the car is available again. Jamie and I got to talking, and I realized I had never pulled the carpet on the car to look for rust. I did so and found this:

I immediately began looking further; the other side of the trunk is the same. Using mirror and flashlight, I looked everywhere I could get into. The rest of the car looks structurally sound, I only found surface rust anywhere else I looked, the trunk appears to be the worst spot on the car, but Jamie says he needs to start with a completely rust free car, and no hard feelings on my part. I will be posting more pics later. olejoedad is next in line, but if he doesn't want it, it will be up for grabs. It is still worth my asking price for the car. Even were the car a solid rust bucket (which it isn't) the '88 cradle still has the 4.9 already set up, and as Ed Parks will till you, the wiring harness alone is $700.00.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I'm next in line, I've talked to Tony, so stop slobberin'. Thanks for the call, Tony!

Rust doesn't look bad at all.

Joe
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Even were the car a solid rust bucket (which it isn't) the '88 cradle still has the 4.9 already set up, and as Ed Parks will till you, the wiring harness alone is $700.00.

Yep, the cradle, drivetrain, and harness alone are worth what you're asking.....and the rust is fixable. I paid $700 for my harness, $1150 for an 80K mile Caddy drivetrain with maintenance records, and $600 for the exhaust. About the same as you're asking for the whole car...and it's a Formula! This car is definitely worth saving....If I didn't already have two of them and you were close, I'd be all over it.

t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
Sent you a PM. Where am I at on the list?

[This message has been edited by t697 (edited 03-15-2008).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Tony! What a SWEET ride! You and Ed did a great job with the 4.9 conversion!

For the rest of you PFF er's, I picked the car up from Tony in Nashville on Saturday, drove it for 500 miles on the Interstate, got plenty of looks, blew the doors of a 5.0 Mustang who thought he could play, got great gas mileage, had NO PROBLEMS, and made a friend to boot!

My thanks to you, Tony, and my eternal gratitude. No joke.

To the rest of you, I hope you are as fortunate in the future as I was today!

Just a heads up, Tony showed me his new project. Keep looking for his post, maybe he will fill us in on his project progress!

Sorry I can only give you one PLUS. Come on, Cliff, this guy deserves a PLUS 5!!!!!

Thanks again.

Joe
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Joe, it was a pleasure doing business with you...the man showed up early today, as I asked, called 80 miles out, as requested, and brought cash in hand. You can consider yourself a welcome visitor at my place. Had I not had business elsewhere, I would have been pleased to invite you to lunch at Boswell's Harley Grill...

I think he really liked the turn signals, lol...cooling off the Stang was an added bonus (no, I was not present for that, thank heaven).

All kidding aside, I'm glad you like the car, and I feel I sold it to someone who will appreciate what a terrific car it is. How'd she do on those long hills coming out of Nashville?

I think your wife really likes the color scheme as is.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
What hills?

You're right, she likes the color scheme, and it's growing on me as well. Maybe the 88 N*/Getrag car can be black bottom/silver top?

Tony sold me a car with no surprises and no disappointments. He even washed it and it was nearly full of gas. To top that off, he bought a 30 day temporary tag, so I could drive it home legally!

Thanks again, Tony. Next time I'm through the area, I'll let you know - but i'm buying lunch!

Joe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock