Started on: 12-19-2007 06:25 PM
Replies: 36
Last post by: mswenson289 on 02-12-2008 06:36 PM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,
I am interested in buying aluminum cradle bushings. If you are a supplier/seller and have them in stock and can get them to NJ in five working days or less, contact me.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (wife's toy), 1986 SE soon to be VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
Friendly hijack! (and free bump) I could use some too, or at least good a poly set

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 12-19-2007).]

merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
me too i want some!!!
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Try WCF.That is where I got mine. I love these things.They increase the handling aspects of the Fiero big time!

Cordially,
Kevin
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
the sad thing is three years ago there was a CNC machinist across the way from my shop. He made the V8 mounts I designed for my Fiero. Now he has retired and I am at the mercy of others.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by kevin:

Try WCF.That is where I got mine. I love these things.They increase the handling aspects of the Fiero big time!

Cordially,
Kevin

I'll give them a call tomorrow. I wasn't crazy of their lowering springs, but my wife loves the way they look. I just find it not fun to set on the lift.
Dave
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
I hear it takes forever and a day to get anything from those guys. Be carefull.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
ROTFL WCF parts... Under 5 days... LOL good luck, I could make a set faster than them and I don't have a lathe or the slightest idea what they look like. PM rodney he was talking about making them or currently is.

[This message has been edited by Mr.PBody (edited 12-19-2007).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Is Darrel Morse not making them any longer?? I turn my own out, Dave, and if I had the stock here I'd turn you a set out and ship them, but no way to do it in 5 days with the weekend this close and Christmas coming up. Out of the next 6 days there are only 3 working days.

John Stricker

PS: If enough people need them, I'm going to Wichita Friday and I can pick up some aluminum stock and turn some out, and I can do it for a lot less than the $150 WCF charges. I think DM was only charging $100 IIRC and his work is top notch. Keep in mind, though, that I won't be able to do much about it until after new years since I'm going to California for a race next week and won't be back till Jan 1. Until I find out how much the aluminum is, I'm not going to commit to a price, but I can pretty much guarantee it won't be $150 plus shipping.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I've been working so much, I completely forgot next week is Christmas. I guess I need to repost that I need them by mid January, but I'd like to get them by the end of the first week of January. We close shop between Christmas and New Years.
Dave
MartyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MartyKSend a Private Message to MartyKDirect Link to This Post
PS: If enough people need them, I'm going to Wichita Friday and I can pick up some aluminum stock and turn some out, and I can do it for a lot less than the $150 WCF charges. I think DM was only charging $100 IIRC and his work is top notch. Keep in mind, though, that I won't be able to do much about it until after new years since I'm going to California for a race next week and won't be back till Jan 1. Until I find out how much the aluminum is, I'm not going to commit to a price, but I can pretty much guarantee it won't be $150 plus shipping.[/QUOTE]

John. If you are going to make several sets i would be interested, PM me if you take on the project.... Marty
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I had some samples made from prints I supplied and they made some of them wrong. So it sat for a while. So I bought some aluminum and made actual samples for them to copy so they get them right this time. This worked out better as I have made a few changes to make them fit better etc. I just sent these samples out a few days ago. I should have some of them in stock in maybe a few months. I also hope to have them anodized black also.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Dementia

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
U could mark me down for a set. I dont need them for a little while.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I'll try and pick up enough stock to make a few sets for the people that need them right now. That said, I am NOT going to do this long term. I'm not going to compete with Rodney. He does a great job with excellent service so my motto is let him do what he's good at. In the meantime, though, I'll try keep people from getting in a bind.

I can pick up the material tomorrow, machine a set, and have them on their way to you by Monday or no later than Wednesday, I would think, Dave. I'll let you know a firm price when I find out what the aluminum is costing now. I buy from an aircraft salvage/surplus yard in Wichita and it's sold by the pound, so you probably can't find it any cheaper for the raw material than they have it.

I have been making my rear ones out of UHMW Delrin. They're lighter, last just as long, and machine faster along with the material being cheaper. I have used them in the Roadster and the race car and neither have shown any signs of problems. That's an option for you guys, if you want. All aluminum is no problem either, but aluminum has become pretty pricey. I've never tried the front ones from the UHMW material, and probably won't.

John Stricker
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

I'll try and pick up enough stock to make a few sets for the people that need them right now. That said, I am NOT going to do this long term. I'm not going to compete with Rodney. He does a great job with excellent service so my motto is let him do what he's good at. In the meantime, though, I'll try keep people from getting in a bind.

I can pick up the material tomorrow, machine a set, and have them on their way to you by Monday or no later than Wednesday, I would think, Dave. I'll let you know a firm price when I find out what the aluminum is costing now. I buy from an aircraft salvage/surplus yard in Wichita and it's sold by the pound, so you probably can't find it any cheaper for the raw material than they have it.

I have been making my rear ones out of UHMW Delrin. They're lighter, last just as long, and machine faster along with the material being cheaper. I have used them in the Roadster and the race car and neither have shown any signs of problems. That's an option for you guys, if you want. All aluminum is no problem either, but aluminum has become pretty pricey. I've never tried the front ones from the UHMW material, and probably won't.

John Stricker

John,
Sounds good....keep me posted. I'll send payment whenever you want
Dave
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2007 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Dave, you have a PM

John Stricker

Originally posted by bmwguru:

John,
Sounds good....keep me posted. I'll send payment whenever you want
Dave

Dementia

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
When I said a little while I kind of meant a few weeks. Thanks let me know
Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
I'm getting parts together to do a 3800 SC swap. I'd be interested in a set, especially delrin. Steve

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post

Steve25

541 posts
Member since Aug 2007
I'm getting parts together to do a 3800 SC swap. I'd be interested in a set, especially delrin. Steve

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Steve,

Check your Emails.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Steve25:

Dementia

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks J got them the other day. They look nice and I will be trying them out shortly.
PFF
System Bot
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
John do you still have any for sale?

I need a set

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
Mine arrived last week as promised. Really nice. Thanks John

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT

mswenson289

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mswenson289Send a Private Message to mswenson289Direct Link to This Post
What kind of price did you come up with? Are you turning front and rear? Looks like I would like a set some time in late Feb or early March if the price is right, I'm a cheap bast#@&.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I am going to get more stock to turn some more out. Keep in mind that I'm only doing this until either Rodney starts offering them or Darrell Morse starts being involved in the Fiero community again. I have to do this in my spare time.

Right now, I have interest/requests for another 4 sets or so, including you guys in this thread and PM's I have.

I would like those that have them from me to try and put their front ones in ASAP. The bushing shells that held the old rubber bushings are not exactly a precise machined surface. Darrell always made his a little bit loose for that reason and I never cared for that. I make mine fairly tight. The rear ones are no problem as they don't rely on fitting inside a steel shell like the front ones do.

On the front ones, if they don't feel like they want to start, check and check again that you have ALL the rubber out of them. If you're sure you do, and they're still too tight to tap in, put them in the freezer overnight. Aluminum changes dimensions a LOT with temperature change. If they still don't fit, let me know ASAP and I'll turn you down another set of fronts a few thousandths smaller at no charge.

Likewise, if they're too loose, they're still tighter than Darrells were, most likely, and can be made to work. You can dimple the sleeve in a few places, shrinking them, or on one set on the race car that I've had in and out several times (different cradles) I actually pinned them by drilling through the shell and into the aluminum with a self tapping screw to permanently locate them.

I've made and installed abaout 4 sets in cars I've worked on over the years, and the dimensions I've made the ones I've shipped to have always worked, but I'd like some feedback from people that have gotten them so I know how they're running in a variety of cradles and bushing shells before I make anymore. Since I'm going to be tied up for a couple of weeks with other things anyway, maybe some of you will have a chance to fit them in your cradles. Again, if they DON'T fit to your satisfaction, let me know ASAP and I'll adjust them for your application at no charge. The front ones turn down fairly quickly so there's not much turnaround time on them once I know. There rear ones take more machining time.

One last point, the rear bushing sets, the ring, or "donut" goes UP, that is between the cradle and space frame. If you look carefully, it is slightly taller than the lower ones with the locating center, and if you turn them around they will work, but they'll slightly change your suspension geometry. I actually custom made a set for the race car to play with some settings in that regard, but it's not something I want to do for others. I don't mind wrecking my handling for the sake of science, but I don't want to do it to anyone else. The ONLY things you will need to reuse on the rear mounts is the bolt. Nothing else is retained.

I was hoping to make them for the same or less than Darrell was, and I think I am pretty close. I'm selling them for $125 shipped anywhere in the continental US by USPS flat rate priority mail. Keep in mind the price of aluminum has more than doubled in the last 2 years, so I think it's a fair price considering the amount of machining time.

John Stricker
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
One note to Steve and Dementia:

I tried to leave positive feedback to you guys but the system won't let me, the only one I can leave feedback for is bmwguru. Cliff, if you're reading this, can that be changed? It seems like I should be able to leave feedback (good positive feedbacks for both of these guys) if we've had good transactions. (and likewise if they were bad, but in the case of these 3 members, nothing but good things to say about them)

John Stricker
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I should have them in stock in maybe a few (2-3) months. I had the same problem with sizing on the fronts. I have several cradle sections here and I also had to come up with a compromise size. I'm waiting on a few sample sets to see how they fit. If they fit OK I'll have more made. I should have 2 sets here in maybe 3 weeks or so. I'll try them in my frame pieces and then probably sell them at a discount to a few people that can install them right away to see how they fit their cradle. I did some redesigning of the fronts that I think works better.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested in aluminum cradle bushings, so whenever they're available I'll get a set.

Dracor

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DracorSend a Private Message to DracorDirect Link to This Post
jstricker I am also interested.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Hi all,
I am interested in buying aluminum cradle bushings. If you are a supplier/seller and have them in stock and can get them to NJ in five working days or less, contact me.
Dave

i would get the poly cradle bushings instead, they are just as "stiff" but they transmit alot less vibration to the car's chassis. i may even have an extra set laying around.. email me at stickpony@gmail.com if you are interested in them.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:
i would get the poly cradle bushings instead, they are just as "stiff" but they transmit alot less vibration to the car's chassis. i may even have an extra set laying around.. email me at stickpony@gmail.com if you are interested in them.

88's are solid mounted. I see no reason that the 84-87's would be any different solid mounted. I have an 88 but if I had a 84-87 I would solid mount the cradle.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I have both solid and Poly mounts in different cars, there is no difference that I can tell at all. If you're getting vibration transmitted through the cradle mounts, you need to look at your motor mounts and determine where it's coming from.

John Stricker

Originally posted by stickpony:

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
I did pick up some more stock to make a few more sets. Unfortunately, they were running low on the 3" stock when I was there, but I believe I have enough to make 3 more sets. Two of these are spoken for. If anyone else is interested, let me know. I'll probably make as many as I have stock for and then quit. I've sent out 5 sets to people (some not on the forum, but they must lurk as they emailed me) so far.

bmwguru had an issue with his bolts not being quite long enough in the back. He and I did some measuring and head scratching as that's one thing that IS pretty consistent. If you have that issue and a set of the mounts, call me at 785-483-5895. There is a workaround or I'll make it right. His issue, we believe, is that the bolts were Fierostore replacement bolts which are about 10 mm shorter or thereabouts as compared to the factory bolts. edited to add that the next ones will be made about .1" or so thinner so this should not be an issue

On the positive side, his front bushings after freezing them overnight, went in with one tap of a soft faced mallet and expanded nicely to the correct fit. That was a relief to me that the steel bushing shells are at least being, so far, reasonably consistent in size.

John Stricker

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 01-24-2008).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
I think I am interested in a set.
-Brian
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to have to measure what I have left to be certain, but I *THINK* there is enough material for 2 more sets. I have made and shipped out 8 sets to people so far. I haven't heard of any fitment issues other than bmwguru's issue with some non-stock (we believe) rear bolts. I have made the lower part thinner so that should not be an issue any longer. If someone has a problem with it, please let me know.

I've decided that when the current stock of material is gone, I'm probably not going to make anymore, at least for awhile, and probably not before Rodney starts stocking his. These take quite a lot of time to make and I'm glad to help out while there's a void in supply, but it's not going to be my full time job.

If you are interested, PM me, I'm not going to try to check on this thread every day, and it will be first come, first served. I should be able to get them done by the end of next week and shipped out by then. They are $125 shipped USPS Priority Mail anywhere in the continental US.

John Stricker
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store replacement bolts are about 1/8" shorter. With the rubber bushings the bolts worked fine. For the test set, I just reversed the rear pieces and used the original washer. Great job on the bushings, John.
Dave
mswenson289

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mswenson289Send a Private Message to mswenson289Direct Link to This Post
John:
PM Sent

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock