Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Computer Problem: New Soundcard Issue With Motherboard, Of Course!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Computer Problem: New Soundcard Issue With Motherboard, Of Course! by Boondawg
Started on: 03-20-2014 07:15 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Boondawg on 03-21-2014 08:46 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Welp, I can't get the new soundcard to work with my motherboard.

It's a known issue, and lots of people have got it to work, but I cant.
I've did everything the net suggests, latest drivers, newer bios, older bios, chipset drivers, checked power in & out, pci-to-pci bridge, etc. etc. etc.
Read everything I could read online about this issue, and it is known, but I just can't seem to overcome it.
It's not a soundcard issue, I'm sure.
I believe it's a nForce 750i issue or a motherboard issue.
I believe the computer is not seeing the PCI-e slot.

It won't let me to install the Asus Xonar Essence STX drivers because it warns me to "plug in" the soundcard. (yes, I know this card needs a 4-pin molex computer power plug to work, I tested that and that part is good. I've also reseated & wiggled the board in the PCI-e slot)
The computer don't see any new card (even generic) installed anywhere, either.
As if it ain't seeing the PCI-e slot.

If anyone has any ideas of anything I might have missed or just want a brain-puzzler, I be egger to try.

The motherboard is an EVGA 750i SLi FTW.
The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale.
The soundcard is an Asus Xonar Essence STX

Any help much welcomed!

P.S. Oh, and doing all the flashing of the bios of course reverted my system to PRE-overclock settings, and the tried & true specialized overclock instructions to get it back to where I had it can no longer be found.
There are some, but not a perfect match (motherboard, processor, & memory) to the (my) system that I built based on these custom overclock instruction (they were actually Part 1 & 2 videos on Youtube).
Not that I mind that for now, as I want to eliminate that as a cause for the soundcard problem anyway.
It's just more future work, is all.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 03-20-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
No help here Don.

Wouldn't SPDIF to a good amplifier have given the same or better quality sound?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
should have stuck with usb->midi

Speaking of, i have this fancy midi module i'm borrowing, i should get my Atari ST out and make some music while i have it.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 03-20-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

No help here Don.

Wouldn't SPDIF to a good amplifier have given the same or better quality sound?

Probably.
But i'll get it figured out.....or build a computer around this soundcard tryin'!
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a different PCI-e slot you can try it in? One possibility to eliminate. If it's a physical problem with the MOBO, a new MOBO might be your only option.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Do you have a different PCI-e slot you can try it in? .

Forgot to mention it.
Yes I have.
No change.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your pci-e slots are dead. I've had that problem before.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any other known working PCIe cards you can slap in and test?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Sounds like your pci-e slots are dead. I've had that problem before.

Yup.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Do you have any other known working PCIe cards you can slap in and test?

Nope.
Never used PCI-e before in my life.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Nope.
Never used PCI-e before in my life.

I thought you had a pair of GTX275 Gfx cards? Aren't they PCIe?
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

He does. I'm not sure what he is saying exactly.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I think that card uses a PCIe 1x slot, not the 16x slots.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

I think that card uses a PCIe 1x slot, not the 16x slots.

It does indeed.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Yeah, sorry, I meant PCIe 1x.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a different PCI-e slot you can try it in?

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Sounds like he's ahead of us, already.

Is there anything in Windows that might not have been installed because that card or slot was not in service? (Some PCIe controller or service?)
Is anything else mapped to a memory location that might be conflicting with where that card wants to be?
All just speculation and "random shots from the hip".

Edit - You might need more cowbell.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-20-2014).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
At this point with all of the troubleshooting you've done I'm inclined to believe it's a physical issue with the hardware somewhere that warrants a replacement.
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannDirect Link to This Post
Are all you standard PCI slots occupied?
I had herd some mention a while back that some southbridge controllers have an issue dedicating access to PCIe slot if all of the PCI slots or both PCIe16 slots are occupied. This may not apply to your MOBO.
You most likely have covered this, but is the onboard sound disabled? Also in BIOS check to see if PCI access is set for PNP OS. There may also be advance settings in the BIOS for PCIe.
Had an issue before when I was trying to use 2 sound cards. Got it to work, but there was a lot of "musical cards". Pull one, let windows see the other, install in a certain order and let windows see each one until I got them to work. I think I had to have my primary video and sound card in first. Then added the rest. I also remember having to turn Legacy access off to certain areas(legacy USB, memory drive boot options ) then turn them back on later after certain cards were recognized. Also had to turn off and back on anything that I was not using. Serial port, parallel.
Had to make sure that DMI would be reset so resources would be dealt out right.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Is there anything in Windows that might not have been installed because that card or slot was not in service? (Some PCIe controller or service?)
Is anything else mapped to a memory location that might be conflicting with where that card wants to be?

I tried the fixes for both.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Does it let you complete the driver install even though it doesn't know the card is installed? I know I've seen some hardware that is invisible (or mis-identified and installed as something it isn't) to the computer until software that sort of forces it to recognize the hardware is installed.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Are all you standard PCI slots occupied?
I had herd some mention a while back that some southbridge controllers have an issue dedicating access to PCIe slot if all of the PCI slots or both PCIe16 slots are occupied. This may not apply to your MOBO.
You most likely have covered this, but is the onboard sound disabled? Also in BIOS check to see if PCI access is set for PNP OS. There may also be advance settings in the BIOS for PCIe.
Had an issue before when I was trying to use 2 sound cards. Got it to work, but there was a lot of "musical cards". Pull one, let windows see the other, install in a certain order and let windows see each one until I got them to work. I think I had to have my primary video and sound card in first. Then added the rest. I also remember having to turn Legacy access off to certain areas(legacy USB, memory drive boot options ) then turn them back on later after certain cards were recognized. Also had to turn off and back on anything that I was not using. Serial port, parallel.
Had to make sure that DMI would be reset so resources would be dealt out right.

I tried some things you mentioned, but there are a few there I have not.

PCI access is set for PNP OS, turn Legacy access off to certain areas(legacy USB, memory drive boot options ) then turn them back on later after certain cards were recognized, Had to make sure that DMI would be reset so resources would be dealt out right

I'll try those, thanx.

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Does it let you complete the driver install even though it doesn't know the card is installed?

No, it asks for the card to be plugged in as it is preparing to install drivers.
It is.

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannDirect Link to This Post
Different Bios handles DMI resources differently. Some you can't control at all. However most Bios will allow you to see DMI info right after the Bios message. If you have the option to display Bios options on. It will show, when changed. A Bios number, a manufacture code(most of the time 4 digit) sometimes the manufacture name(i.e EVGA) then the IRQ it uses.
Something like
USB 1.0 controller XXXX/TI05 irq 6
USB 2.0 controller XXXX/AMD1 irq 5
Standard PCI SATA XXXX/Intl irq 7
Multimedia device XXXX/EVGA irq 8
and so on
The area I had seen problems were when DMI set the same irq for different cards. This works OK for like USB 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1. south bridge built in stuff but some some cards won't tolerate sharing. Especially sound cards and Video. Had to shuffle stuff around until DMI displayed the sound and video cards with their own.
When adding new hardware the Bios supposed to update DMI and should display the new settings right before boot. But it doesn't always happen or you didn't see it. If The Bios doesn't update DMI settings, windows won't see it either.
I would remove every thing you can, physically and in bios. Install just the first video and the sound card. Just enough to see. Shut down all the way. Restart go in Bios, save , come back out. Let it boot into windows that way once so windows will dedicate resources for those 2. Do it again after adding or turning on each one. But you shouldn't have to boot back into windows again until the rest is in or on.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 03-20-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
Move the jumper to int 5...

Oops, sorry had a flashback from the early '90s...
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannDirect Link to This Post
Man I hate setting up those old multi IO/function IDE ISA cards. You only had 16 irqs and half were already used by the motherboard. Microchannel just sucked.
Don't get me started on SCSI 1and 2

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 03-20-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI you can plug a PCIe 1x card into a 16x slot. So for example, if you wanted to remove one video card and swap the sound card in just to see if it works, you can do that.

Also, is there some setting in the motherboard BIOS that turns the PCI-e 1x slots off, or a setting where you have to pick between having the slot active or some other feature active instead?

Best of luck!
Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephDirect Link to This Post
It really should have been addressed in the latest BIO revision from EVGA. http://www.evga.com/support...ain.aspx?faqid=58517

I know when I had my 780i FTW and 790i Ultra EVGA was terrible with their BIOS revisions and left us all hanging with many problems never addressed

That's terrible luck for you, great sound card too. Apparently they don't play well with the NForce chips..
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Boonie, it looks like your motherboard has a digital optical output. If you have a home theater receiver or some powered speakers with digital optical input, you can bypass the sound card entirely. I realize you're probably more concerned about getting that sound card to work. But this could be a "plan B".
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-21-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
All good advice, my friends.
I'll do what I do and get something figured out.
I always do.

Of course, a less honorable man might use this problem as an excuse to his wife to build a whole new system....
Joseph might even hold the key to part of that build!
Just get a motherboard & some memory and booya!, case-closed.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 03-21-2014).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock