Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Taxpayers Paid $2.4 Million to Develop ‘Origami’ Condoms (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Taxpayers Paid $2.4 Million to Develop ‘Origami’ Condoms by cliffw
Started on: 03-09-2014 07:31 AM
Replies: 76
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-12-2014 07:37 AM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Male, Female, and Anal Versions.

Because Americans need origami condoms so much.

Nancy Pelosi
“The cupboard is bare”
“There’s no more cuts to make.”

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Perfecting his condoms would not be possible without the U.S. taxpayers.

Did Sandra Fluke have a part in this? She can't afford the pill.

“You can walk around and do most any activity with the condom pre-inserted,” Resnic said.

All sex, all the time. Can a society sink much lower?
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
What's the long term costs to tax-payers to keep one AIDS patient alive, or to raise one successive generation on welfare. food stamps. etc? It might be money well spent if one looks at the long term.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

What's the long term costs to tax-payers to keep one AIDS patient alive, or to raise one successive generation on welfare. food stamps. etc? It might be money well spent if one looks at the long term.

That may be true, but a lot of number crunching would have to be done to prove it out. My belief is the "Tax Sponsored Programs" all of which you mentioned are all out of control, costing the Tax Payer huge amounts of money. These Programs are extremely abused by the Public, forcing the burden onto the Good Citizens of this Country to support their lazy asses/unmoral asses. It's time for the Good People of this Country to be heard, and for Government to change these Programs (including SS Disability, Unemployment, etc), so that only the truly needy get assistance. It's just too easy to cheat, which only builds corruption.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
All i want to know is how do i get in on all this 'no strings attached' money flying out of Washington like hot air?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

What's the long term costs to tax-payers to keep one AIDS patient alive,

So people with AIDS ( and sick, many have it and dont even know it yet ) dont deserve to live?

What is the price on a person's life? Does it matter who they are or does everyone get lumped in the same bucket? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_White
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
We all get lumped in the same bucket--that is, we all are going to die at some point. When that "point" is or why, doesn't change that.
It can happen at any time and for any reason--or no reason at all.
I am NOT saying the guy with Aids (or cancer, or heart disease, or liver failure) doesn't deserve to live more so or less so than anyone else, just that dying is a fact of life.
I would fight to my last breath to prevent taxpayers having to pay to extend my worthless life for even one minute--it's not their place to have to do so.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I am NOT saying the guy with Aids (or cancer, or heart disease, or liver failure) doesn't deserve to live more so or less so than anyone else, just that dying is a fact of life.

No, but the post i commented on, which wasn't yours, did imply that because he had AIDS he had less right to live than a person without. ( substitute any other ailment or condition )
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I understand that Nurb. I'm not against any research, and even good governmental "subsidies" for it. If left up to me tho, the lion's share of it would all go to beating or preventing diseases mostly affecting children and young adults.
I'm just not much on spending $$, assets, and time on problems of people my age--better spent elsewhere.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I understand that Nurb. I'm not against any research, and even good governmental "subsidies" for it. If left up to me tho, the lion's share of it would all go to beating or preventing diseases mostly affecting children and young adults.
I'm just not much on spending $$, assets, and time on problems of people my age--better spent elsewhere.

if it was up to me, it would all come to me.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

All i want to know is how do i get in on all this 'no strings attached' money flying out of Washington like hot air?

It's not "no strings attached money" it's money in the form of a research grant, if you had actually read the article you would have known that. Research grants are something that happens all the time I'm sure your familiar with the concept of them. They had to prove they had a viable prototype and concept in order to receive any money to begin with, so it's not like someone just said, "Oh, hey buddy want some free money?" And opened up hsi wallet that is directly connected to the tax payers.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
No sense of humor i see.

Originally posted by Darth88Formula:

It's not "no strings attached money" it's money in the form of a research grant, if you had actually read the article you would have known that. Research grants are something that happens all the time I'm sure your familiar with the concept of them. They had to prove they had a viable prototype and concept in order to receive any money to begin with, so it's not like someone just said, "Oh, hey buddy want some free money?" And opened up hsi wallet that is directly connected to the tax payers.

Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

So people with AIDS ( and sick, many have it and dont even know it yet ) dont deserve to live?

What is the price on a person's life? Does it matter who they are or does everyone get lumped in the same bucket? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_White

And I seriously doubt that's what he was saying with his with his post about AIDS. It's the fact that this new condom is better at preventing AIDS and other STDs and by spending money to research and develop this condom, especially the anal condom (where STDs are most easily spread....) would help to prevent new cases of AIDS and other STDs. He was merely saying that it costs a lot to care for a person with AIDS, and by helping to prevent new cases of AIDS that the money spent to develop the new condom it would possibly be offset by the money saved in the long run because there are fewer cases of AIDS patients out there because no new cases are there in the first place.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

And I seriously doubt that's what he was saying with his with his post about AIDS.

How about we let him answer the question instead ?
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

No sense of humor i see.

I have a wonderful sense of humor, it's the fact that the way it was written really felt like you were bashing on the article and looked like you hadn't read it at all. I'm sorry that I lashed out.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

Darth88Formula

1323 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I'd love to hear him answer the question as well, but I also wanted to let my voice be heard on the subject too.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing this needs lube to work. I'm a little confused I think.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I'm guessing this needs lube to work. I'm a little confused I think.

Might come impregnated into the plastic.

I doubt its worth the trouble or money really. Most of the friends i know that would need something like that wouldn't touch it. I think funneling money into preventing/killing the virus would be far more effective for the long haul. But that is just me.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Boy did you take a wrong turn there. I'm just asking how $2.4 million compares in cost? Preventing thousands of cases has to be more cost effective and humane.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 03-09-2014).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Boy did you take a wrong turn there. I'm just asking how $2.4 million compares in cost? Preventing thousands of cases has to be more cost effective and humane.

That is why i posed it as a question, i did not know your true agenda.

PFF
System Bot
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

I think funneling money into preventing/killing the virus would be far more effective for the long haul. But that is just me.

That's exactly what this is doing. It's designed to prevent the transmission of diseases. The inventor of this new condom is trying to take away all the reasons that why people don't wear condoms in the first place. And make them more effective at the same time.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

That's exactly what this is doing. It's designed to prevent the transmission of diseases. The inventor of this new condom is trying to take away all the reasons that why people don't wear condoms in the first place. And make them more effective at the same time.

I'm talking about attacking the actual virus, not trying to make 'safe habits' more palatable. Hes wasting his time, and our money.

You cant take away 'all the reasons' as the main reason people dont like them is that its there. That will never change as long as it exists.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 03-09-2014).]

Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
And I don't see it that way. Condoms as they are now are flawed. they break, they roll, they slide off. Something that updates them from the early 1900's version we've all been using is a good plan. Something that can help prevent the transmission of the disease is just as important as finding a cure. It's attacking the virus from both sides.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

Darth88Formula

1323 posts
Member since Aug 2005

You cant take away 'all the reasons' as the main reason people dont like them is that its there. That will never change as long as it exists.

You'd be surprised. Social stigma can be a great motivator.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

You'd be surprised. Social stigma can be a great motivator.

In both directions. And i wont be surprised, i know what will happen.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
Aw, come on. With the way the government is screwing us, the least they can do is provide better protection.
(you know someone had to say it)
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
With how informed we, as a society, are becoming today, I don't believe that we, as a society, would allow ourselves to willingly cause ourselves and others harm, just because it's a little inconvenient. I'll admit, we aren't there yet, but there is a paradigm shift coming.

However, you have a point. When in the moment, you aren't thinking clearly you're hormones are taking over the thought centers of your brain and you act without fully thinking through the situation. But that's why I liked the idea that it can be worn by the receiver, both vaginally and anally. You can prepare ahead while you're still thinking clearly.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

Darth88Formula

1323 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by williegoat:

Aw, come on. With the way the government is screwing us, the least they can do is provide better protection.
(you know someone had to say it)

Now THAT made me laugh!!!
(I told you I had a sense of humor)
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
From 2011, but do you think any of these programs don't still get their funding? (ok, maybe not Solyndra specifically, but other "green" companies)

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

With how informed we, as a society, are becoming today, I don't believe that we, as a society, would allow ourselves to willingly cause ourselves and others harm, just because it's a little inconvenient. I'll admit, we aren't there yet, but there is a paradigm shift coming.

However, you have a point. When in the moment, you aren't thinking clearly you're hormones are taking over the thought centers of your brain and you act without fully thinking through the situation. But that's why I liked the idea that it can be worn by the receiver, both vaginally and anally. You can prepare ahead while you're still thinking clearly.

I wasn't really talking about the malicious people out there, just human nature in general. We all have our ways to justify what we do that isn't 100% safe. Be it not wearing safety glasses when hammering nails or what we do in the bedroom.

I do think that people that engage in 'casual' activities tend to be more aware, but the rest of the population don't. "it cant happen to me, its only once, i have known my partner for years and years, i didn't think about it right then, etc etc". That is why i say its more important to go after the source, not 'lifestyle'. If you can kill the virus ( either before or after ), you save *everyone*.. not just a % that 'do the right thing' ( whatever that % is ). Most people dont really think about this stuff unless its touched them somehow. ( even the hammer example, until you get hit with shrapnel, who really thinks about it? )

And yes, i have this touch me personally, I lost a dear friend 2 years ago this way. His 10+ year partner had the virus, but didn't tell him. He wasn't trying to be malicious, he was afraid. By that many years, you trust a person and you dont treat them like some unknown off the street... This can happen to the best of us. Who is to say here they dont trust their wife/husband/etc after that long? If they dont, perhaps they shouldn't be together.

Ok, done rambling now. Back to your regularly scheduled program.
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Formula88:

From 2011, but do you think any of these programs don't still get their funding? (ok, maybe not Solyndra specifically, but other "green" companies)

I do agree that those high-end programs are where the "free" money is. Sure there are 'favor' requirements attached, but they aren't the same as like in this case with a small operator who is given money more for media attention ' see we care ' than anything else.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Male, Female, and Anal Versions.

Because Americans need origami condoms so much.

You may not benefit from this, but there is gov. funded research that you have benefited from.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

You may not benefit from this, but there is gov. funded research that you have benefited from.

i.e. NASA.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I'm NOT much for giving my tax dollars for something someone doesn't NEED. You can go the rest of your life without sex (and especially without gay sex) and not be adversely affected. I'd rather give my money for diabetes research or liver disease or something to improve eyesight (and/or prevent blindness), etc. $2.4M just so you can have more fulfilling sex? Puh-leese.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

You can go the rest of your life without sex.

Not if we dont want to die out as a species...
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

I wasn't really talking about the malicious people out there, just human nature in general. We all have our ways to justify what we do that isn't 100% safe. Be it not wearing safety glasses when hammering nails or what we do in the bedroom.

I do think that people that engage in 'casual' activities tend to be more aware, but the rest of the population don't. "it cant happen to me, its only once, i have known my partner for years and years, i didn't think about it right then, etc etc". That is why i say its more important to go after the source, not 'lifestyle'. If you can kill the virus ( either before or after ), you save *everyone*.. not just a % that 'do the right thing' ( whatever that % is ). Most people dont really think about this stuff unless its touched them somehow. ( even the hammer example, until you get hit with shrapnel, who really thinks about it? )

And yes, i have this touch me personally, I lost a dear friend 2 years ago this way. His 10+ year partner had the virus, but didn't tell him. He wasn't trying to be malicious, he was afraid. By that many years, you trust a person and you dont treat them like some unknown off the street... This can happen to the best of us. Who is to say here they dont trust their wife/husband/etc after that long? If they dont, perhaps they shouldn't be together.

Ok, done rambling now. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

I wasn't talking about the malicious people either. I was talking about how that the information out there can cause a paradigm shift into the way the "normal" person thinks. This isn't the best example, but smoking is similar. Societal norms have begun to shift, and smokers have a lot more of a social stigma than before. Smoking isn't seen as the "cool" thing to do anymore. It is by some, but not all.

And the way of thinking that oh well there's a cure for the disease so I don't have to take any precautions is a dangerous way of thinking. There's no real personal responsibility if that way of thinking continues. Oh well, we will deal with the consequences later and not worry about things right now.

I'm not saying people will change their way of thinking overnight, but it'll happen. And this is a good step in that direction.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

And the way of thinking that oh well there's a cure for the disease so I don't have to take any precautions is a dangerous way of thinking. There's no real personal responsibility if that way of thinking continues. Oh well, we will deal with the consequences later and not worry about things right now.

Id rather have that then the death we have today.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post

Not if we dont want to die out as a species...

I wasn't even going to bother commenting on his response, but you've hit it on the head with that one! I couldn't agree more!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I wasn't even going to bother commenting on his response, but you've hit it on the head with that one! I couldn't agree more!

I was mostly joking, i knew what he meant.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock