Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Einstein or Niels Bohr.. who rules? Answer sought in light from oldest stars.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Einstein or Niels Bohr.. who rules? Answer sought in light from oldest stars. by rinselberg
Started on: 02-24-2014 07:28 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: heybjorn on 02-24-2014 08:09 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
Some scientists have proposed going to great lengths to eliminate experimental bias in a proposed new test designed to probe the mysteries of quantum physics. Not just great lengths, but the greatest length that anyone can conceive of in the observable universe. Two quasars, each about 14 billon light years from earth--which means that they are being observed as they were shortly after the beginning of the universe--and (if I understand the numbers correctly)--about 150 billion light years distant from each other at the current moment.

Closing the ‘free will’ loophole
MIT researchers propose using distant quasars to test Bell’s theorem.

An experiment involving light from distant quasars and quantum-entangled photons or electrons produced by laboratory equipment:

As Kaiser explains it, an experiment would go something like this: A laboratory setup would consist of a particle generator, such as a radioactive atom that spits out pairs of entangled particles. One detector measures a property of particle A, while another detector does the same for particle B. A split second after the particles are generated, but just before the detectors are set, scientists would use telescopic observations of distant quasars to determine which properties each detector will measure of a respective particle. In other words, quasar A determines the settings to detect particle A, and quasar B sets the detector for particle B.

The researchers reason that since each detector’s setting is determined by sources that have had no communication or shared history since the beginning of the universe, it would be virtually impossible for these detectors to “conspire” with anything in their shared past to give a biased measurement; the experimental setup could therefore close the “free will” loophole. If, after multiple measurements with this experimental setup, scientists found that the measurements of the particles were correlated more than predicted by the laws of classical physics, Kaiser says, then the universe as we see it must be based instead on quantum mechanics.

Hey is that Kaiser on a roll, or what..?

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffi...l-loophole-0220.html

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-24-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
wtf? physics was not my best class.
heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
So, will breakfast be late in the morning, or what?

“Now that I do know it I shall do my best to forget it.” “What the deuce is it to me?”

Never thought that would come in so handy on one day.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock