Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Accident this morning. Olds Aurora down for the count.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Accident this morning. Olds Aurora down for the count. by Synthesis
Started on: 11-08-2013 11:07 AM
Replies: 29
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 11-18-2013 10:06 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
My beautiful 2002 was rear-ended this morning hard enough to buckle the fenders and close the gap between the rear fender and the rear doors.

I was at a complete stop about 3 feet behind the vehicle in front of me.

I looked up in the rear view mirror in time to see the guy's face in the car behind me as he panicked. He hit me at around 30 mph...

I bounced off of the car in front of me causing my radiator to leak. The guy in front had a minor scratch in his bumper.

The perpetrator...
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

My baby...

The center section of the nose directly under the hood was pushed in six inches. I pried it out to open the hood.

The hood will not relatch, the trunk doesn't open/close easily, although I CAN make it work with some effort.

Fortunately, I have full coverage, and even in a no fault state, I was at a stop, brakes pressed, and rear fog lights on... There isn't any way they can pin blame to me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
That really sucks... I hope it all works out in your favor.

Hopefully, the worst that happens is you get paid, and you have a shortstar for your Fiero?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
You didn't mention the most important part. Are you ok?

Doesn't look too terribly bad (the car) and hopefully can be fixed if no serious frame damage.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Hope you are fine with no injuries. Sorry about the car. Sometimes insurance works in your favor, I hope this ends up one of those times.
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsDirect Link to This Post
Just glad you're ok man.

Brad
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Neck and shoulders stiff.... I've got a doc visit at 2.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Neck and shoulders stiff.... I've got a doc visit at 2.

Good idea to have it checked out.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
So sorry man - but I'm glad you weren't hurt. Not sure if you've ever been in an accident, but it might take a few days for the pain to appear.

Hope it doesn't.

We will keep you in our thoughts.

It's frustrating - when some dope destroys your car.

Especially after you drop a few grand into it...
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You didn't mention the most important part. Are you ok?

Doesn't look too terribly bad (the car) and hopefully can be fixed if no serious frame damage.

Ya no Sh!t, we could all care less about your car, as long as you are alright we can build a new car tomorrow.

you are OK right?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Down for the count ?
That will buff right out.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you didn't get hurt.
I hope they fix your car up good as new.
PFF
System Bot
xquaid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidDirect Link to This Post
Glad nobody was hurt

Duct tape.....
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
It looks repairable.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

It looks repairable.

debatable, at least a few hours on a frame machine because he got squashed between 2 cars he may have a lot of structural damage we can't see, but it all depends on how much he likes the car, the insurance company may just total it and unless he wants to buy it back and do the repairs himself. depending on how bad the work is and how much it costs locally for frame repairs it can start at 50 bucks an hour and go up from there, just the estimate for the work can run around 250 as they have to get it on the machine and take all the measurements before they can even give you a good estimate, sure you can ball park it but unless the guy doing the straightening has done a lot of them he is just guessing, crap happens on unibody cars when you start pulling them, rips could happen and need to be repaired after the fact and add hundreds to the estimate. older full frame cars are easier to fix in an accident like this in most cases.
Depending on the options it is only worth around $5,000 depending on the options.

http://www.edmunds.com/olds...ppraise-results.html

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-09-2013).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
$10,577 to repair the damage to the vehicle.

Waiting to hear from the insurance company. They are going to total it.
I want to buy it back, but not sure if I'll have the funds in order to do so.

I won't be able to fix it myself, as it will need a lot more work than I can perform, but it will have plenty of parts, including a running/driving powertrain for a swap if I can find someone who'd be interested.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
Is it worth the time and effort to buy it back, then?

In my experience, things such as this aren't worth it, in the end.
You spend a lot of time and trouble,and don't really 'get ahead'.

It's nicer to just spend some time with your family.

We lost our car a few weeks ago due to an accident. It was one in a string of 'un-awesome occurances'.
I considered buying it back, because of how much $ we had recently put into it, but when i did the match of time+ effort+ taking off work+ other stuff, it wasn't worth it(to me)

So sorry you lost your car. Just glad you're ok.

How's your ankle doing?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

$10,577 to repair the damage to the vehicle.

Waiting to hear from the insurance company. They are going to total it.
I want to buy it back, but not sure if I'll have the funds in order to do so.

I won't be able to fix it myself, as it will need a lot more work than I can perform, but it will have plenty of parts, including a running/driving powertrain for a swap if I can find someone who'd be interested.

You can have them cut you a check for the full amount, or have them cut you a check - whatever they want or I should say expect to get for it, it won't be that much. I have done that once. that way you are not out of pocket any money.

Listen to the old man, if you really like the car that much, I did the car I did that to. never cost me a penny, you will be real surprised how little they expect to get selling that at auction. I paid 500 for my 77 LTD II that they totaled in the early 80s.
call me, Skype me or PM me if you need to know all the details about it, it really is fairly simple and you can do whatever you can do and then send it to the body shop for what you can't. it will save you a lot.
Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-12-2013).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Direct Link to This Post
I bought back a car once...10% deducted from the value of the check I was getting from the insurance company. It was worth it for me since the stereo alone was worth more than the 10%. Went to pick it up from the wrecker....stereo had been stolen.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about the car and I hope you are OK.
I have always liked those cars. I have an Intrigue with about 300K on it. Olds did a GREAT job on the drivetrain. Its a shame to loose it.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Buy back price is $1000... They offered me 5700 after tax/title/tags on the car... I'm going to try to get 6500, since I found several outside of my area going for 7900 or so.
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Buy back price is $1000... They offered me 5700 after tax/title/tags on the car... I'm going to try to get 6500, since I found several outside of my area going for 7900 or so.

Do this!!!!
Send FAX copies to your adjuster of similar cars for sale.
Bombard the adjuster with comps, and articles about what great cars the Olds Auroras were.
At least one FAX a day, so your file sits on his desk instead of being filed away for review in 2- 4 weeks.
Send articles about how the Aurora V8 was almost the same as a Cadillac Northstar.
Sending weblinks won't help, he/she isn't allowed to open them.
Make his file FAT!
He'll want to get rid of you, and he'll pay for that privelige.
Be a PITA, within reason, and you'll get a fair settlement.
Been there, done that.
On BOTH sides.
Glad you weren't hurt, hope everything works out OK.
I wouldn't advise buying it back. Say goodbye and take the money.

------------------

Drive safely!

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 11-12-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
We are looking at another Aurora... May buy this one back since I sunk so much into it for parts in the last year... Suspension, etc. All the issues we had with it could be traced back to 10 years in the sun in Arizona...

Buy this one back, strip everything new, suspension, tires, etc out of it... Part it out on the Aurora forums and scrap the rest.. The leather interior in it is in GREAT shape...
85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacDirect Link to This Post
My dad replaced his 98 Park Ave with an 03 (I think) a couple years back. He always wanted one. Beautiful car, same second style as yours. He had it for a couple weeks and the trans. started acting up. He fought with the seller and got some money back, then traded it on an 03 Park Ave. Really wished he could have kept the Aurora, I really like them. He's been an Olds guy his whole life. It was a dark day in our household when the shutdown was announced.

Back in 04, I got t-boned in a Jeep Wrangler. Totaled. I bought it back just like everyone already said. Just received a smaller check. Then I sold it to a guy to fix and use as a plow rig. Got almost as much from the buyer as I did from the insurance. It was a good deal, although I was heartbroken when it happened.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Neck and upper back pain, shoulders tingling from time to time... Numbness and burning in my hands..

Headed to the ER in a little bit for my neck/back. Clinic can't get me in.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Neck and upper back pain, shoulders tingling from time to time... Numbness and burning in my hands..

Headed to the ER in a little bit for my neck/back. Clinic can't get me in.

Good luck in the ER I hope its better than Frankenstein Memorial, our local hospital.

depending on the injury it may not show up on an X ray, ask for an MRI. it took them 3 years to find a herniated disc in my back after an accident. good luck and I hope its nothing as bad or near as bad as mine was from my motorcycle accident in the 80s. pain sucks, but numbness can be even worse, good vibes its not anything serious.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-15-2013).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
New car arrived last night...

Neck/Shoulder/Hands issue is inflamed nerves/muscles from whip lash.

Was told to ice and take Ibuprofen and muscle relaxers as needed.

Feeling a lot better today after vegging for the last two days.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 11-17-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Neck/Shoulder/Hands issue is inflamed nerves/muscles from whip lash.

Was told to ice and take Ibuprofen and muscle relaxers as needed.

Feeling a lot better today after vegging for the last two days.

Good to hear it doesnt sound too serious.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Not bad, im a real fan of the older aurora....
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Not bad, im a real fan of the older aurora....

LOL, maybe I misunderstand you. That Olds is the last in the line ever made

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

LOL, maybe I misunderstand you. That Olds is the last in the line ever made

Lol this one

http://www.cargurus.com/Car...urora-Pictures-c3144

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock