Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Has anyone bought at tax foreclosure auctions?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Has anyone bought at tax foreclosure auctions? by 1985FieroGT
Started on: 10-30-2013 03:06 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 10-31-2013 11:05 PM
1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Curious if anyone has ever bought any property at tax foreclosure auctions? The next one for my county won't be until August 2014, but they just put notice in the paper the other day for everyone in my county that if they don't pay up by March, they'll lose their property... and there's at least three newspaper pages full of properties (probably a few hundred).... we have everything from multi-hundred thousand dollar properties getting notice to Cleetus's trashed out trailer and everything in-between.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
bump... anyone?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
There was something about this.... where you had to be careful, as there is a chance the owners could come back and pay the taxes at the last minute, or even after the sale. But I am only 50/50 on that info. You could talk to the city/county about the sale and ask them the procedure.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
No, but I've been to several--and left my checkbook at home each time.
Each has been quite sad.
Just can't bring myself to profit from another's "misfortune".
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
In Iowa, once a tax sale has been completed, the delinquent tax payer has 3 tax periods (18 months) to pay up before they officially lose their property. When they do pay up, they are assessed a 20% penalty for being late.

On the flip side of this, the tax lien purchaser has to make 3 consecutive tax period payments before they officially are able to take possession of the property. If the delinquent tax payer makes good on his past due taxes within the 18 month period, the 20% penalty is awarded to the lien purchaser, in addition to whatever they've paid in to the county. In my experience, this is why people buy tax liens. It isn't that they want a property, it's just a pretty good investment that pays pretty well in a short turn around.

Hope that made sense.

[This message has been edited by LAMBO (edited 10-30-2013).]

FriendGregory

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
No, but I've been to several--and left my checkbook at home each time.
Each has been quite sad.
Just can't bring myself to profit from another's "misfortune".

All profit is at another's misfortune.
It is my misfortune to be hungry when I decide to go to Taco Bell and they make profit on my misfortune. You could sell them your tax sale price at a discount.
It is sad to see poor people buy new cars when they are really just a payment from losing it. I have been in the position to evict people that had already lost their butt, it is all sad.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by LAMBO:

In Iowa, once a tax sale has been completed, the delinquent tax payer has 3 tax periods (18 months) to pay up before they officially lose their property. When they do pay up, they are assessed a 20% penalty for being late.

On the flip side of this, the tax lien purchaser has to make 3 consecutive tax period payments before they officially are able to take possession of the property. If the delinquent tax payer makes good on his past due taxes within the 18 month period, the 20% penalty is awarded to the lien purchaser, in addition to whatever they've paid in to the county. In my experience, this is why people buy tax liens. It isn't that they want a property, it's just a pretty good investment that pays pretty well in a short turn around.

Hope that made sense.

I have not seen where there is a guarantee to get your money back. Does the tax sale buyer own just the tax debt and get the 20% when the owner decides to pay up? How does one decide what is a safe price to allow the auction to climb to beyond the tax price? I would need to know if the liens follow the property title. Can not pay tax, I expect there to be a mortgage that is behind and secured by the property.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsDirect Link to This Post
Here you have 12 months to pay up after the property is sold at auction.

During that period the new "owner" cannot step onto the property for any reason, it's basically abandoned and the local thugs have a go at destroying it for a year after the auction.

There is also no looking at the property to see what kind of shape it's in.

That's here, your laws probably vary.

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

All profit is at another's misfortune.
It is my misfortune to be hungry when I decide to go to Taco Bell and they make profit on my misfortune. You could sell them your tax sale price at a discount.
It is sad to see poor people buy new cars when they are really just a payment from losing it. I have been in the position to evict people that had already lost their butt, it is all sad.

Last I heard, you taking in nutrients wasn't really much in the way of a choice--eating is normally considered a neccessity if you want to stay on top of the ground instead of underneath it.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
It is my choice, that instead of staying with Mom or other family where I could have a meal for free or, stopped at the grocery store and bought oatmeal that would feed me 4 days for 3$, I decided that I am going to be taken advantage of. Why do I keep making these choices.

Yes, I know that crops fail and people lose their jobs but, the risk / benefit of owning stuff is usually pretty clear. I sure hope my choices do not come back to bite me.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
In my county, you have two years, after those two years, if you don't make a payment plan, then your property is seized in march... there is no redemption period. The county "takes" it until August and then its sold at auction... within those 30 days following auction, the new owner will have to get a court eviction and have the Sheriff take the people off the property if they haven't left.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Here you have 12 months to pay up after the property is sold at auction.

During that period the new "owner" cannot step onto the property for any reason, it's basically abandoned and the local thugs have a go at destroying it for a year after the auction.

There is also no looking at the property to see what kind of shape it's in.

That's here, your laws probably vary.

Brad

Yep. And I thought that was everywhere. Foreclosures are awful buys in Missouri. Looks like they're not as terrible elsewhere.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:
Yep. And I thought that was everywhere. Foreclosures are awful buys in Missouri. Looks like they're not as terrible elsewhere.

Tax lien sales and foreclosures are completely different monsters. Either one, you can lose an incredible amount of equity when it is sold against your wishes but, foreclosures may have the large debts. Taxes, even with penalties, I do not think the cost is high. They are only high when you can not afford them.
I do not know if the tax lien sale invalidates mortgage and construction liens so, I am unsure of the risk.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2013 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
The other factor that hasnt been mentioned is you never know what kind of crazies property you just bought.....is he going to come back armed to the teeth on a vendeta somewhere down the road after stewing in anger for weeks/ months/ years ?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock