Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Why can't people just fess up when they are wrong?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Why can't people just fess up when they are wrong? by Arns85GT
Started on: 10-10-2013 03:11 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: DanDamage on 10-12-2013 07:51 AM
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I am tired of people not fessing up when they are wrong. They prefer to say that they "lied". Lying is telling somebody something you KNOW is untrue.

Admitting to lying means you were in control, you knew what you were doing. Admitting you are wrong is a hard thing to do. If you are wrong, you may think you are incompetent.

Of course everybody is wrong at one time or another. It is not embarrassing to be shown to have made a mistake. So why not just say "Oops I made a mistake" instead of saying "I lied"? Why not admit to an honest mistake? We all make them. We're human.

Arn
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I'd rather be wrong than a liar!

You hang out with weird people.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Weak minds, big egos?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
"It is not embarrassing to be shown to have made a mistake."

It's NOT?
Lies or covering up wrong decisions are worse when there are log files. and temp files. and URL histories, and access logs, and whatnot.

WORST aspect of my job. to be forced to be THAT guy. Awkward!

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 10-10-2013).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post

Cause they would never become President!
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I thought I was wrong once...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I thought I was wrong once...

...But then you looked at your avatar and were like "Hellllll NO..."

and you decided you were ALLLLRIGHT.

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 10-10-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero: I'd rather be wrong than a liar!

Same here.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

My name is Doug, .......... and I am wrong.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I have been humbled more times this week than in my entire life. It is awesome! seriously
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Beacuse in MOST cases, they are not wrong and there is no right or wrong. The concept is entirely subjective to the idividuals wants/ needs/ deires/ thought process. The entire right/ wrong really only applies to black-and-white situations (IE, a brake mounting bolt on XXX is 5/8", right-or-wrong). As soon as ANY options are introduced, it becomes a matter of opinion and not right or wrong, and people dont like being subjegated, hence wont say they are "wrong". They also get sick and tired of arguing about it it,so will say "I lied"....what they are REALLY saying is "I am not backing down on being right, now STFU"
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I am tired of people not fessing up when they are wrong. They prefer to say that they "lied". Lying is telling somebody something you KNOW is untrue.

Admitting to lying means you were in control, you knew what you were doing. Admitting you are wrong is a hard thing to do. If you are wrong, you may think you are incompetent.

Of course everybody is wrong at one time or another. It is not embarrassing to be shown to have made a mistake. So why not just say "Oops I made a mistake" instead of saying "I lied"? Why not admit to an honest mistake? We all make them. We're human.

Arn

Who was the person who inspired you to create this thread?

What was the situation?

Would it be worth it to have a conversation with them?

-----------------------------
Can't say I have had even one person utter "I lied" to me in the past decade (maybe longer).
They just wouldn't admit it.

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
In general, people would rather be right more than happy.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
In my circle there are a number of people, mostly women, who use the phrase "I lied"

I disagree that perspective that the truthfulness of statements is relative to the situation.

I dealt with dishonesty in my working career for 30+ years and I know full well the difference between an innocent error and a lie

For this reason, it bothers me to see a person claim that "I lied" when they are simply mistaken, or wrong.

There is a strong human reaction to both things, 1. being found to be in the wrong, and 2. being found to have been false

The two things are very different, and the people using the phrase "I lied" when they are simply wrong, is both confusing the issue and denying their own humanity.

In short, I have been shown to be wrong on any number of occasions, however, you will find it hard to find an incident where there is evidence indicating I could have lied.

I hope this clarifies

Arn
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

Hi,

My name is Doug, .......... and I am wrong.

Wait, then who are you? And what did you do with Doug?

I can't understand the "I wasn't wrong, I lied." idea. I guess I'm not into being that deceptive, and having to be right all the time. (Obviously, I'm not a woman.)

I've gotten used to being wrong. (Married 29 years.) Also, I work with some genuine smart people. I'm not one of them, but I'm willing to learn from them. Now, I'm lucky, I work in a field where things can be clear-cut, and only have one right answer.

As MEM pointed out, there are questions that do not have a "right" answer.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
It occurs to me that people would rather state that they lied because that would be *intentional*, as in they meant to do it. If they happen to be "wrong" or incorrect about something then that would suggest they did something they didn't intend to do; they didn't anticipate being shown to be wrong, therefore they lacked control over the situation. Perhaps most people would rather give the impression that they were completely in control of the situation by claiming they did something intentionally, even if that happens to be a dishonest act. It's still easier to admit to than admitting they are powerless, or have no control over the outcome.

"I lied" = "I meant to do that."
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe people won't admit they are wrong, so you must be wrong, why can't you just admit it?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Yep, Tajiguuy has it

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 10-11-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I have used the "I lied" phrase before. Never thought much of it. Of course I only used it on non-critical things like:

What time is it?

It's about 9:30. (checks watch)

Oops, I lied. It's 10:15!

Jonathan
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

It occurs to me that people are a lot like cats.

So true, man...
Ever see a cat do something totally clumsy? They get EMBARASSED! - 'I TOTALLY meant to do that..."

People are like that.

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

So true, man...
Ever see a cat do something totally clumsy? They get EMBARASSED! - 'I TOTALLY meant to do that..."

People are like that.

Hah! I remember back in the day I had a buddy who had a brand new 2M6 that he had just had a nice paint job done on. We're standing there talking and this silly-ass cat takes a notion to hop up on the hood of his freshly painted car. He was pretty peeved but humane as he picked the cat up carefully and set it on the ground. This happened a couple more times with my buddy growing ever more impatient. Finally on like the fourth or fifth time the cat jumped up there he just reached down and snatched that cat up by the tail. Whirled it like a helicopter blade over his head about five times and sent the cat sailing down the road about 40 feet. The cat landed basically in a sitting position, sort of sliding and spinning in this sitting position on the pavement. As soon as it came to a full stop it just sort of looked around indignantly and started licking itself in that cocky, "Yeah, I meant to do that" manner. I was howlin'.
Yup, nice summary- "people are like cats".

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 10-11-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Wife has a shirt that says "I'm often mistaken, but I am NEVER wrong"
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

Because in general, most people.... Are pricks!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Because in general, most people.... Are pricks!

.....I didnt lie...I wasnt wrong...I simply didnt give a frack !!! (If ya remember the USENET spellun kops ya will get that one )

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
How about these.

I "might" not be right all the time but I'm never wrong. Or, " Yes dear, I must have been wrong. ....... this leaves some degree of doubt.

And on the rare occasion that someone actually says "I was wrong", just agree with them by politely adding the word "Again" to the end of their sentence. Sort of gives them a whole new outlook on life.

All joking aside, I know an engineer friend that can never be proven wrong and you can't put a new idea in his head with a jack hammer!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

My kinda guy!

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

I agree on all counts

------------------
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view. What I live for

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave