Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Seriously! Cant put a photo of car on Tshirt 'cause Dodge owns the car's likeness?!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Seriously! Cant put a photo of car on Tshirt 'cause Dodge owns the car's likeness?! by 2.5
Started on: 07-16-2013 09:57 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: rogergarrison on 07-18-2013 07:14 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Cafepress.....I sent an image to put in a Tshirt, a photo of my Dads 74 Charger that I had removed the background from in photoshop. They sent me back a rejection the next day due to copyright issues.

Now remember my dad own this car, and I took the photo. Here is the response after I told them this and questioned the rejection:

"Thank you for contacting CafePress.com!

Your use of the image of the Dodge Charger is problematic as it may potentially infringe on the Intellectual Property Rights of the owner of the content.

As you may know there are two distinct Intellectual Property Rights (copyrights/trademarks) in the artwork that you create. The first Intellectual Property Right belongs to the party who created the artwork or design. The second Intellectual Property Right belongs to the individual or business that owns the rights to the content being depicted in the artwork.

For example, if you create a design that looks similar to Mickey Mouse, even if you own the rights to the artwork or drawing, you may not own the rights to utilize the likeness of Mickey Mouse. Therefore the use of Mickey Mouse for sale of merchandise in this example may infringe on the rights of Disney.

Similarly, your use of the Dodge Charger image may infringe on the rights of the individual or organization that holds the Intellectual Property rights to the content.

With this said, if you have any specific information or rights to use the designs that are currently set to pending status in your account, please let us know. Otherwise, we cannot allow the sale of your content through the CafePress.com service.

For more information regarding our Content Usage Policy please visit http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/help/cup.aspx.

We apologize for any inconvenience that our actions may cause you.
Best Regards,

Don D.
Content Usage Associate
(650) 655-3104 (O)
(650) 240-0260 (F)
www.cafepress.com "

Is there something a-miss here?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-16-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Do a search. I once found a company that sells the iron on sheets you can run through your printer. All you need is some wax paper to iron it on your shirt after printing and trimming.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Ford sent the lawyers after them about a Mustang calendar a while back. I believe it was 'Black Mustang Club' that had member owned cars featured and they did come to some sort of agreement.
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Yup, product designs are copyrighted.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Theres plenty on ebay that will print anything you want. But I am surprised, so that means I cant take a picture of (pretty much anything), and print it on a cafepress T shirt. I wonder what likeness means, I mean a cartoon Dodge Charger is still the likeness of a Dodge Charger.

Anyway

Does anyone have a recommendation of a quality place that will do this? You can pm me or post. It was going to be on a brown shirt, but I suppose doesn't have to be.
Here it is:

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-16-2013).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
There has to be something local? We are so internet prepped, but forget about the doorstop we call Yellow Pages.

Cool shirt!

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 07-16-2013).]

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageDirect Link to This Post
^thats a bad b****
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
I can print that image on coffee mugs, water bottles, travel mugs, coasters and mouse pads,and other hard suubstrates if you're interested, but I don't have the equipment for t-shirts.
ShockWave

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveDirect Link to This Post
Go to Spreadshirt, they shouldn't reject it. I literally scanned the graphic off a Fiero shirt from the 80s, inverted the colors to put it on a black shirt, and got the finished product in about a week. Prices are way better than Cafepress, too.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, it is copyright violation for a business to print another businesses protected material without permission.
"online", the business has no idea if it a lawyers fishing expedition for easy money, or a real person wanting something

find a place locally
they are everywhere
go in in person

or, get permission. someone here managed to do it for them Fiero Geo Coins. so, it cant be to monumental a task.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I will check some places.
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

yes, it is copyright violation for a business to print another businesses protected material without permission.
"online", the business has no idea if it a lawyers fishing expedition for easy money, or a real person wanting something

find a place locally
they are everywhere
go in in person

or, get permission. someone here managed to do it for them Fiero Geo Coins. so, it cant be to monumental a task.

I ran into this as well when trying to get something printed locally and I agree, it's not that hard to contact a company to ask for permission. I have done it on several occasions and never had one say no you can't print that - for the most part they don't care so as long as you are not using the image in a demeaning manner or include the "registered" and/or "trademark" symbols beside the company logo (that you need special permission which involves licensing - but then you can also say that it is "official" ).

Some places don't care, some do - I am sure you can find a place that doesn't if you don't want to take the time to ask for permission.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 07-17-2013).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Vista print would print that my friend. You could probably get a bunch of other free stuff with it as well like a mug or mouse pad. Every time i buy something from them they let me make a bunch of other stuff for free.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I have a sleeve of the paper used to make iron on pictures for T shirts. I think its about $10 for a package of 10, 8x10 sheets. I do them all the time. I did a whole batch of shirts with my Hooters race car and one of the Hooter Girls on it I sold at races/ events.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock