Started on: 06-20-2013 12:20 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-24-2013 02:10 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
http://www.wral.com/markets...f-fed-exit/12572332/

Markets are roiled by prospect of Fed exit
Financial markets are sliding after the Federal Reserve said it could end its huge bond-buying program by the middle of next year.

U.S. stocks fell sharply in early trading and the yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to the highest point since October 2011. Gold led a rout in commodity prices.

The Dow Jones industrial average fell 202 points, or 1.3 percent, to 14,911 in the first 45 minutes of trading Thursday.

The Standard & Poor's 500 index was down 21 points, or 1.3 percent, to 1,607.

The yield on the 10-year Treasury note climbed to 2.38 percent.

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke said Wednesday the central bank could end its bond purchases next year.

Global markets also fell. Germany's benchmark index was down 2.4 percent, France's fell 2.5 percent.

If you thought the Sequester's $85 Billion reduction in planned spending increases for 2013 was bad, wait until the Fed stops pumping an extra $85B per MONTH into the economy. That's just stopping the purchase of bonds - let alone selling the ones it has, which will have the effect of taking money out of the economy.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
are you saying they should continue or stop as planned?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

are you saying they should continue or stop as planned?

Neither. I didn't express an opinion one way or the other. I commented on what is likely to happen and tried to put it's potential impact in perspective.
Anyone with more than 2 functioning brain cells knew it wouldn't last forever.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Sounds daunting, how does the layperson see it?

85 bil per month.

So divide that by the stock market?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-20-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
The other question I suppose is where is the 85 bil per month going to go now?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-21-2013).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The other question I suppose is there is the 85 bil per month going to go now?

What do you mean? If you're adding 100 gallons of water to a pool every day and one day decide to stop filling the pool, that doesn't mean 100 gallons is going somewhere else. It means you turn off the hose.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

What do you mean? If you're adding 100 gallons of water to a pool every day and one day decide to stop filling the pool, that doesn't mean 100 gallons is going somewhere else. It means you turn off the hose.

I assumed the hose was being filled by our taxes, we know those arent going to go down.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I assumed the hose was being filled by our taxes, we know those arent going to go down.

No. You're confusing government with the Fed.

The Federal Reserve is a private bank that provides the money to the U.S. Treasury. They have the printing press and print off money to buy bonds with. That means it's newly created money - not from taxes or anything else. The down side is everytime they do that, they increase the number of dollars in circulation, which tends to make each individual dollar worth less. That, in part, is what causes inflation.

Imagine you could just scan a dollar bill into your PC, then print off copies whenever you wanted to buy something. That's what the Fed does.
By printing money and buying bonds, they increase the money supply.
If they later sell those bonds, that takes those dollars back out of the money supply.
That's how the Fed can manipulate interest rates and prices.

The Fed is where money is created and destroyed. Everywhere else between government, people, and business, it's just moved from one account to another.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
I would love to ask Ben Bernanke a question. If the Fed printing money is good for the economy, why is counterfeiting illegal? Why not sell special printers and paper, allowing individuals to print all the money they need, and watch the economy explode!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Ah, that Fed.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-21-2013).]

cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

... wait until the Fed stops pumping an extra $85B per MONTH into the economy ...

I knew they were doing that but the way you put it, how did they do it ? Who got the money ? The bank's balance sheets ? How did they qualify ?

I have been waiting for this. I never thought well of the practice and it went on too long. I am skeptical of the reason. They say the economy is doing better. I think they realize they did it too much. They created inflation but it has not hit us yet.
So, what's the plan now ? How do they see to get back the fake money from the economy ?
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I knew they were doing that but the way you put it, how did they do it ? Who got the money ? The bank's balance sheets ? How did they qualify ?

It makes some political statements you may or may not agree with, but the explanation of the Fed is pretty good.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

It makes some political statements you may or may not agree with, but the explanation of the Fed is pretty good.

Uhoh! Formula88 has gone all anarchist on you guys! Just playing.

But Ancapchase is a fellow free-market anarchist. I've been friends with him on Facebook for awhile. I believe he also started the Blue Ridge Liberty Project. If only you liked his other videos.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

Uhoh! Formula88 has gone all anarchist on you guys! Just playing.

But Ancapchase is a fellow free-market anarchist. I've been friends with him on Facebook for awhile. I believe he also started the Blue Ridge Liberty Project. If only you liked his other videos.

Settle down, Beavis. Like I said, it goes into politics, but the first half that describes what money is and how it was created and what the Fed does is pretty accurate. You can ignore the conspiracy stuff later on, or just view it as entertainment.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
That was a good watch Formula88. Educational and entertaining.
One thing it did not cover was the end game plan of getting all the Quantitative Easing money back out of the economy to prevent inflation.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35951 posts
Member since Jun 2003
While we are talking about the economy I have another question.
When the stock market loses points, I understand that is from people selling ... but, if people are selling, others are buying. What am I missing ?
By the way, I was looking a little more into . It supports the power/money grab that Formula88's video explains.

It increases income of the rich and promotes wealth inequality.

In August 2012 Bank of England issued a report stating that its policies of quantitative easing had benefited mainly the wealthy. For example the report said that its QE program had boosted the value of stocks and bonds by 26 percent, or about $970 billion. About 40 percent of those gains went to the richest 5 percent of British households.

Dhaval Joshi, of BCA Research wrote that “QE cash ends up overwhelmingly in profits, thereby exacerbating already extreme income inequality and the consequent social tensions that arise from it".

Economist Anthony Randazzo of the Reason Foundation wrote that QE “is fundamentally a regressive redistribution program that has been boosting wealth for those already engaged in the financial sector or those who already own homes, but passing little along to the rest of the economy. It is a primary driver of income inequality”.
In September 2012 Donald Trump said on CNBC that "People like me will benefit from this."

In May 2013 Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas President Richard Fisher said that cheap money has made rich people richer, but hasn't done quite as much for working Americans.[79] Most of the financial assets in America are owned by the wealthiest 5 percent of Americans. According to Fed data, the top 5 percent own 60 percent of the nation’s individually held financial assets. They own 82 percent of the individually held stocks and more than 90 percent of the individually held bonds.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

That was a good watch Formula88. Educational and entertaining.
One thing it did not cover was the end game plan of getting all the Quantitative Easing money back out of the economy to prevent inflation.

It was made before the current QE debacle. I used it just to illustrate how the monetary system and Fed worked.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

While we are talking about the economy I have another question.
When the stock market loses points, I understand that is from people selling ... but, if people are selling, others are buying. What am I missing ?
By the way, I was looking a little more into . It supports the power/money grab that Formula88's video explains.

The lost points means the overall value of the tracked stocks is going down.
An overly simplified explanation is, if you have more people selling than those wanting to buy, you have to lower your price to get people to buy. Likewise, if more people want to buy your stuff than there are people wanting to sell, the price goes up.

What would be your asking price for your Fiero if you had 50 people lined up to buy it? How about if you had no one interested, and it has been for sale for 6 months?
Average that asking/selling price over 500 Fiero owners, and you would have the Fiero 500 index.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Often, the buyers of a depressed stock are the company that issued the stock. They institute a stock buyback to try to prevent a cascading effect or to set a higher bottom fair value in contrast to book value. Warren Buffet did it last year or the year before because he thought book value of Berkshire Hathaway was below his fair value target. He paid a premium for about $8 billion worth of his own stock. That premium became the new bottom.
Stock market has been fooled for about 9 months now. No real fundamentals in place for the bull market we've seen other than QE. Cheap $$ available.
Now, treasury yields are up and prices down. Global growth outlook has been re-accessed downward.
$1.8 trillion erased from the global equities (stocks/bonds) markets on Friday.

You can fool the stock market but you can't fool the bond market. Interest rates are going to go up. Going to be interesting to see how they unwind this.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-23-2013).]

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
You can fool the stock market but you can't fool the bond market. Interest rates are going to go up. Going to be interesting to see how they unwind this.

I don't see how they can. QE is likely trying to cure a heroin addict by giving them more heroin.
Of course, the stock market loves it, but the rising stock prices are not based on rising *values*. There is no real reason for the stocks to be higher priced.

As for bonds, they are in a real pickle. Lower bond prices mean the government can finance debt easier, but nobody wants to keep buying more bonds with such a glut in supply AND such a low return. To get bonds to sell again, interest rates have to go up, but that makes government debt more expensive to service. If there is an exit strategy for this, I have yet to see anyone say what it is.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I would love to ask Ben Bernanke a question. If the Fed printing money is good for the economy, why is counterfeiting illegal? Why not sell special printers and paper, allowing individuals to print all the money they need, and watch the economy explode!

LOL, ive brought that up numerous times. The government always just prints more money when they get in a bind and its just fine. If I need some more, and I print some of my own, I go to prison. Nice example of double standards. They should have to live just like the rest of us. Make a budget every year and follow it. If you dont have enough in the bank to cover it, you give up something or sell off something to make up the loss. A VERY large part of the budget could be covered by just cancelling all the free vacations for officials including the President. How many good paying jobs could be filled by axeing just all of Obumas vacations. Me and ALL my friends could live very well for the rest of our lives on what just one of his golf outtings cost.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock