Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Reconinstruments JET. HUD sunglasses announced at Google I/O today!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Reconinstruments JET. HUD sunglasses announced at Google I/O today! by Rallaster
Started on: 05-15-2013 10:02 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Zeb on 05-16-2013 08:14 PM
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
http://www.coolhunting.com/...splay-sunglasses.php

In 2010 Recon released the world's first Heads-Up-Display-enabled snow sport goggles, capable of displaying real-time statistics like speed, altitude, time and temperature on a full-color micro LCD screen. Now, three years later, the innovative company introduces a faster, smaller, more advanced version of the Heads-Up Display (HUD) on a specifically engineered pair of polarized sunglasses. Driven by a miniaturized dual core processor, the Jet features everything from Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ANT+ and GPS to a high-def camera, dedicated graphics and a comprehensive suite of location-based sensors. Essentially, the Jet is as powerful—if not more so—than your iPhone.

Announced today, 15 May, at Google's annual developer conference Google I/O, the Recon Jet is capable of running native apps (as well as user designed apps through its open source platform), stream video and wirelessly connect to the internet and smartphones. It even integrates with Facebook, if you're looking to share information and images other than the success of your recent gym session or brunch date.

While the sunglasses may seem bulky, they've been engineered to feel balanced while being worn, allowing the user to feel uninhibited during a range of activities. With instant, activity-specific and user-specific information zooming in and out of your eyesight, the Jet could be seen as Google Glass for outdoor enthusiasts. See the Recon Jet demonstration video for a better idea of its capabilities and expect to see the Jet introduced later this year.

See also:

http://jet.reconinstruments.com/

http://vimeo.com/66222529

-------------------

Rallaster wants!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Not for me....My "snow sport" is called "Hibernating"
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
You don't have to use it for snow sports, you can use it for just about anything.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
I'm kinda liking 'em. I just wish there was some bold higher purpose (even if it wasn't used for it.) Rather than crap like this:

"It even integrates with Facebook, if you're looking to share information and images other than the success of your recent gym session or brunch date."

I know." Entertainment is what drives innovation for the current generation"...

Just would lov for it to tap into something "higher"
other than a hivemind of LOLcatz

But I was 20 years younger and 40 lbs lighter, THAT was be a sexy way to be a console cowboy.

But I'm fat older and waaay out of the "being cool" scene. and I don't have that calibre of money to burn...

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 05-16-2013).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Can we get some of this tech in a full face motorcycle helmet, that's affordable? Don't need Facebook but Google maps/nav and speed would be nice.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Okay, take out the shades, put in (my) prescription-ground lenses with user-adjustable tinting, and I'm interested. No, I doubt I can afford them, but I'm interested.

Have it link to my car for heads-up display of instruments & GPS, give it a voice interface, since your ears are right there... I can't see the military ignoring this.

Hope they do something with it other than "integrates with Facebook..." Like you, TDA, I'm sensing a lack of imagination. No really new ground is being broken here, just evolution and integration of existing technologies.

What IS the really blue-sky application for things like this?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock