Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Most influential person in Americas history?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Most influential person in Americas history? by Shonyman32
Started on: 04-04-2013 09:47 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-06-2013 12:13 PM
Shonyman32

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
Negative or positive? Just seeing what you guys think.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
George Washington, although Bill Gates has probably had an influence on a larger number of people.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
George Washington
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-04-2013).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Tisquantum... (Squanto)

Edit: proper name

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 04-04-2013).]

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
Sqaunto was the person I was thinking of!
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Tisquantum... (Squanto)

Edit: proper name

Just read up about this and, man, this guy had a shitty life at the hand of the white man!
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
The aging hippie dude on the $100 bill.

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
The Lord
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

...... man, this guy had a shitty life at the hand of the white man!

Me too!
Unfortunatly, that white man is me.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

The Lord

He's an American invention?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-04-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

He's American?

Go to the blasphemy thread, do not collect $200...

Edit: I like your edit

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-04-2013).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Double post

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-04-2013).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

The aging hippie dude on the $100 bill.

Ha! He is one of the reasons for my Son's name. Great minds...
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Obama by far and large. It's no small feat being known as the man who destroyed America.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I considered this question and the responses I have read for a few minutes before I typed a single word. I don't know that there is a most influential person in American history. No doubt such icons as George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Barack Obama share the lime light for their impact on America as a whole, many differerent people came to mind. Of course, those that have lived during my own lifetime have made significant impact that I witnessed. Martin Luther King being an excellent example. But, as those of you who actually know will probably have already guessed, to me the most influential person was the individual soldier, sailor, Marine and airmen who have gone the distance and defended our constitution and their country. Those who have stood up without asking for anything more than what our constitution guarantees. Those were the individuals who I hold highest in regard and respect. Politicians easily can be considered but when you weigh the contributions versus the risk, they faill miserably.

------------------
Ron
"Antonius heartily agreed with him [sc. Cicero] that the budget should be balanced, that the Treasury should be refilled, that the public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of the generals should be tempered and controlled, that assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt, that the mobs should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence, and that prudence and frugality should be put into practice as soon as possible." -Taylor Caldwell
Evidently we've learned nothing in the past 2,000+ years.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 04-04-2013).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm I think Philo Farnsworth needs serious credit, without him we would not have a monitor in front of us but then again we would also not have to suffer with Jersey Shore.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I vote for Thomas Alva Edison.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
People tend to pick and choose in reference to their own time line or recent "modern" US history, when for most of us, it is just a tiny window of a much larger picture. For instance, Edison's first major invention was the phonograph--1877. There were over 102 years of US history previous to that, including years in which our constitution was written, 3 major wars for survival were fought, most our western and southern expansion completed, and our current form of government finalized. Edison did great things, as did Farnsworth, but both pale in comparison to people who lived, fought, and wrote well before they began their tinkering.
My short list would be Jefferson--Payne-Adams or Washington with Lincoln right in the mix.
Who really owns a phonograph today--but each of us walks free in a nation built and rebuilt by the guys on our currency--and will long after any gadget is made obsolete by the next big thing.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
Ben Franklin.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Adolf Hitler influenced our country more than any other man. Not in a good way but if you are counting the number of lives changed.

Hows that for counting the negativity, what was your happy moment reading that post?

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 04-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Adolf Hitler influenced our country more than any other man. Not in a good way but if you are counting the number of lives changed.

Hows that for counting the negativity, what was your happy moment reading that post?

King George III?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Columbus?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Its a toss up to me between Edison and Henry Ford.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Albert Hofmann +

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-05-2013).]

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Nikola Tesla.
There are way too many to pick just one (or a hundred).
Living or dead covers a lot of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Me too!

I don't see how entire continents of people both past and present can be blamed for the actions of less than 10,000 people for what happened 200+ years ago.

And what is this "unfortunately" nonsense? You've won the lottery repeatedly. Not only were you simply one in a million of sperm / egg combinations, but you also were born in the United States.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-05-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

If you want to include mentally unstable, power hungry megalomaniacs...
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-05-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Its a toss up to me between Edison and Henry Ford.

Edison was a thief. Ford was a thug.

Id rather choose one that had a positive influence. Like Jefferson, or Franklin.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Direct Link to This Post
If you don't like Edison ( I don't much either) than you could always pick Tesla. If only he had funding....

It seems like all the positive influences were far back in the beginning of our country's history. Do we have any positive major influences in recent history? Such as has any person shown to be a positive major influential person in or close to the 21st century?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Honestly....I think the most infulential thing about american history...and about reverse racism...

Is about blacks...*******...wild-childs...dude with the gub......
The cival war was fought about it....the current was is fought about it.....

I dont hate blacks.....I have 2 kids with one ..and got forced out by black familiny because i'm white.....I hate my ex for playing the rasism vote, and that has kinda jaded me...

DROP---the attitude, black woman and ya might find a man....until then, I dont want ya and would rather be single...go find another man. I dont date black girls anymore...eneough is enough.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 04-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-05-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

If you don't like Edison ( I don't much either) than you could always pick Tesla. If only he had funding....

It seems like all the positive influences were far back in the beginning of our country's history. Do we have any positive major influences in recent history? Such as has any person shown to be a positive major influential person in or close to the 21st century?

While i think Tesla was the most brilliant person since Leonardo and we owe our very way of life to him, i don't think he was 'influential' in the traditional sense.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I picked them because of their contributions to electricity and the affordable car / assembly line production.

We wouldnt be anywhere near where we are now without those. Everyone in the country uses electricity or a car (except for a very few). While others also contributed to those too, they both basicly got the ball rolling. Tesla and Westinghouse along with Franklin contributed. Mercedes invented the car, but only as a rich mans toy. Assembly line building not only got the car going, but just about every other product weve used in 100 years.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Just read up about this and, man, this guy had a shitty life at the hand of the white man!

Me too!

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

And what is this "unfortunately" nonsense? You've won the lottery repeatedly. Not only were you simply one in a million of sperm / egg combinations, but you also were born in the United States.

I ment that the only thing that has ever got in my way or slowed me down, was me.
White, black, yellow, red..........mostly our own worst enemy is usually ourselves.
How we think, how we act, how we react.....the only person that can keep you down is you.
And what you will allow.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

If you want to include mentally unstable, power hungry megalomaniacs...

Obama's already been mentioned.
HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDSend a Private Message to HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

Obama by far and large. It's no small feat being known as the man who destroyed America.

This!

Originally posted by Formula88:

Obama's already been mentioned.

THIIIIIIS!!
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Edison caused global warming by inventing the incandescent light bulb.
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
The native American standing on shore watching the first boat from Europe and asking "WTF?"
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

The native American standing on shore watching the first boat from Europe and asking "WTF?"

The most screwed person in America's history for sure but the most influential?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Edison caused global warming by inventing the incandescent light bulb.

ONLY if you believe man is causing a global warming The planet is just doing the same thing its done on its own for billions of years...going thru different cycles.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock