Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  ANY mental health nurses here, or know of any?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

ANY mental health nurses here, or know of any? by pavo_roddy
Started on: 01-30-2013 11:16 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 01-31-2013 05:03 PM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I am in the process of going back to school, living an hr from Minneapolis and St Paul, so it is this area I am looking at for school. Can u help? I am looking at the Mental Health aspect to nursing, where would a good school?

Thanx,

air-eek

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

S.F??, hint, it's a car manufacturer....

Do not walk infront of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend forever.
-unknown- found here: http://crystal-cure.com/love-quote.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I figured you were looking for a diagnosis
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to sound like a dick here Eric, but as long as I've been reading your post; you need mental help and are in no position to be offering it to anyone. I know you've required it in the past.

Sorry can't help with the actual topic.

------------------
Don't let anyone dull your sparkle.

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I figured you were looking for a diagnosis

Same here. I'm not a psychologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......I think owning or merely liking the Fiero is an automatic disqualifier for you since it is obviously not rational behavior to do so.

Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2013 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I don't want to sound like a dick here Eric, but as long as I've been reading your post; you need mental help and are in no position to be offering it to anyone. I know you've required it in the past.

Sorry can't help with the actual topic.

Ditto. Nothing like reading a 3,000 word paragraph of jibberish.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Mental heath people are just as messed up as the rest of us and some people think they should determine who can own a gun.

At my wife’s clinic they have hired 3 psychologists in the last 2 months. First one after 3 days of work had an emergency in Florida with her boyfriend will not return the clinics call. She has been gone for a month now without giving a notice. Second one worked a week didn’t come in on Monday morning. The clinic has not heard a word from her in 3 weeks.

The third psychologist has a narcissistic personality disorder. He was hired to be a counselor and that’s it. However he what’s to develop programs instead of what he was hired for. He claims his job descriptions should have spelled out everything he would “NOT” be doing.

Unless you are already a nurse I would not pursue mental health nursing. The better route would be psychologist or social worker. The job opportunities are endless as the examples above have shown. When people with PhDs can just quite a job without notice the job market is really… really good.

The clinic my wife works in has been short handed for two years and this is military wide. Current figures by the military are 800 mental health professionals short, that includes military and civilian employees. The VA is their biggest competition for new hires and they are also very short handed.

If you’re serious go for it!

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 02-01-2013).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
Overheard a conversation at a stoplight yesterday. One woman was discussing how since she had been in and out of mental hospitals so often, she decided to get into the field. I know a few "crazy folks" who all ended up doing so.

In an ideal world, pedophiles wouldn't become teachers or priests, crazy folks would avoid working as head shrinkers, lawyers and politicians would all feed themselves to lions, **** stars would give prostate exams, and tigers would let you hug them.

Pavvy didn't say he wanted to be a shrink- he wants to be a nurse. Why shouldn't he be able to? Or at least TRY to? As long as he doesn't mess w/ patients' treatments (with hold their meds, or gobble theirs down(doubtful on the latter).

Go for it man, best of luck.

I'm sorry for those who had to bear the horrible trauma of being forced, "clockwork orange" style, to read some of his lengthy posts. Your poor finger had to scroll so much, and eyes needed to move around and your brain had to process the words.
Maybe we can get the lawyers involved w/ the emachine class action lawsuit to come in and award everyone who read them 3 whole cents and ten minutes in a room w/ a tiger (for free hugs)

Sheesh, I know what you're all sayin', and perhaps you're all correct,but talk about pooping all over a guy...or maybe it's just honest advice...

*looks around the train platform*

The whole dang world's nuts. Pavvy for president, dammit.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I never met a shrink that didn’t need one more than anyone else I knew. And I know a lot of people, who I know in person none of those here, who need mental health help.

I also think the best shrinks have been through some of the problems their clients are going through. As long as they are not to far from plum.

Now as far as someone becoming a mental health nurse they don’t give anything more than physical therapy.
I believe anyway.
Oh ya I do know a couple of guys who were mental health nurses at state hospitals. Mostly they just restrained people and took care of their physical needs they don’t give advice.
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-31-2013).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Talk with a counselor at the Collage you wish to attend or get their course catalog, it will have the course description.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
My soon to be mother-in-law is a mental health nurse. Mental health nurses do not make any diagnosis. They may question the patients and relay any symptoms observed to the doctor, but it is the psychiatrists that make the diagnosis and prescribes the treatment. Nurses administer the medications and do the grunt work of what the doctors require.

If you are serious about becoming a mental health nurse, then see a counselor at a nursing school. If you have a diagnosed mental illness, then be sure to disclose that to the counselor to see if it would disqualify you. But if you have concerns about your own mental health, then seek help. Having a mental illness does not automatically disqualify you from working in the field.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Damn... you guys aren't being very motivational here!

Pavo, I know you live with some psychiatric disorders. I will say that I know that quite often, most of the people who get into psychiatry do so because they are trying to figure themselves out. Many of the people who are in this field suffer from similar disorders as well. I have a relative that's a psychiatrist, and from what I understand, they are required to give eachother therapy too. Quite honestly, I can't think of a better profession for you to be in, not only because I think that while you're back on the wagon, you're one of the most qualified to notice the issues your patients will have, and you'll have a better understanding of what they are going through. Additionally, if you suffer from weakness from time to time and fall back into your own issues, you'll be surrounded by friends and co-workers who are absolutely qualified to do something about it.

I can't think of a better place for you to have a career in. If it's something you think you really want, and not just a fleeting desire... something you actually want to push through on, then you should 100% push yourself towards this goal.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock