Started on: 10-12-2012 08:32 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: ryan.hess on 10-13-2012 11:34 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Joe Biden fans raising money to buy VP a Trans Am

A parody of Vice President Joe Biden from the satirical news outlet The Onion has apparently morphed into an honest-to-goodness political reality. Some supporters of Biden have started a fundraising page to buy the country's second-highest-ranking political figure a vintage Trans Am sports car.

"In order to let Vice President Biden know just how much we appreciate him, while also making a very silly part of the internet come true (we are the internet after all); let's buy Uncle Joe a Trans Am like the one that is featured in the Onion article," writes the campaign's creator and Fark writer, "Hack Patooey." He tells Yahoo! News that the project was thought up with several of his colleagues and Fark readers, which they first posted here.

And while anyone can set up a farcical fundraising page, this humorous campaign has some very real support. It has received more than $1,000 in financial commitments from more than 80 donors.

Despite the tongue-in-cheek nature of the campaign, its founders list some sincere reasons for wanting to honor their political hero, citing Biden's support for gay marriage and his outspoken views on foreign policy.

Of course, there's a potential catch to the campaign.

Near the bottom of the fundraising page, a note says the proceeds from the campaign will be given to charity.
"Now, Uncle Joe won't be able to accept this behemoth of steely American grace and power. He has these pesky laws and regulations and political-y things to deal with," the page reads. "Take into consideration his magnanimity and power of personality, he probably wouldn't be able to drive the Trans AM without causing a mass outpouring of Conservative Tears."

Instead, the campaign will auction off the Trans Am and donate the proceeds to charitable organizations, including the Biden Breast Health Initiative, Doctors Without Borders, the Wounded Warrior Project and GLAAD.

Still, that hasn't stopped a few Biden believers from wanting to make their dreams a reality.

"It would be great if we could get a picture of Joe and his new whip after he receives it," writes a donor named William.

Another donor, Laurel, wrote: "Two words: Silver. Fox."

And as the site's curators themselves wistfully note, "Maybe if we ask nicely, Joe Biden will wash it on the White House lawn."

Somebody Wants You To Help Buy A Trans Am For Joe Biden

Vice President Joe Biden’s net worth has been estimated to be as low as a quarter-million dollars — chump change by the standards of Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney — but surely that’s enough money in the bank to pick up a decent Trans Am, right?

According to these guys, no. They want you to buy a Poncho for the Veep, and so far they’re raised about $800 of the $25,000 they think it will take. Why? Well, here’s their case:

Joe Biden has calmly and quietly been an incredible Vice President. He was one of the first politicians to publicly embrace gay marriage and may have been personally responsible for President Obama coming out in favor of gay marriage and the subsequent change in the Democratic Party’s platform. He is also a stunningly intelligent politician who understands the nuance of foreign and domestic policy.

http://www.indiegogo.com/BidensTransAm

http://twitter.com/GiveJoeTheBird

FARK: I think we should get the internet to buy Biden a Trans Am

And the original Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/art...hite-house-dri,2718/

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." -H. L. Mencken

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-12-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
There is something symmetrical about Joe driving a car made by a division of an American company that no longer exisits.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2012 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
The body double: perfect!!

hahaha!

The onion comes too close to real life sometimes.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock