Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Romney's foreign policy remarks draw ire of "The American Conservative" commentator

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Romney's foreign policy remarks draw ire of "The American Conservative" commentator by rinselberg
Started on: 08-31-2012 04:10 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: rinselberg on 09-01-2012 07:08 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
The Obnoxious Foreign Policy Ideas in Romney’s Convention Speech

Posted on August 31, 2012, 12:53 AM Daniel Larison

I won't copy and paste any of it (except for one paragraph, further on)--it's brief--here's the link:

http://www.theamericanconse...s-convention-speech/

Mr. Larison takes Romney to task for repeating some of the same Republican talking points foreign policy B.S. that has surfaced recently right here on PFF:
  • The myth that Obama abandoned missile defense for Europe.

• The myth that Obama went around the world "apologizing" for the United States.

• The myth that Obama tried "to throw Israel under the bus" with his "1967 borders" remark

Here is part of the commentary on the missile defense issue:

Tonight, we will likely hear again the claim that the [Obama] Administration “cancelled” a missile defense scheme with Poland and the Czech Republic. This is only true if you define “cancelled” as meaning “substituted a system that might actually work” (Poland) or “agreed not to deploy a system the Czech Parliament had made it clear it was not going to approve.”

Just a few days ago, I called "B.S." on the oft-repeated remark that Obama "betrayed" U.S. ally Poland by canceling the Bush-era plan for a European missile defense system: See my recent post Talking Sense on Missile Defense if you want a more extended discussion on this topic.

I thought this justified a new thread, since it goes beyond the missile defense issue and raises some other foreign policy topics.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
why speak the truth
when you can use a BIG LIE
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Why not? I'll give it a shot. I can understand how people can look at things and come to different conclusions. But:

How is it a myth that Obama has gone around the world apologizing for the United States? I wouldn't think that one would be even CLOSE to being questionable.

How is it a myth that Obama hurt Israel's cause and standing by saying the 1967 border should be the standard? Really. I'm open to hearing in what sense that is close to being an accurate portrayal.

The abandoned missile defense for Europe? I hadn't followed that. But I do find it interesting that you posted some information about that one. Makes sense since that one seems questionable.

But then you didn't post any reasonable objections to the other two.

So, hey, I read the questionable merit of the missile defense point. If you post why the other two are "B.S.", I'll certainly give it a read and consideration.
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
President Not-Obama is going to be very entertaining!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-31-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

President Not-Obama is going to be very entertaining!

Not really. He will continue to embarrass this country.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-31-2012 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by rinselberg:

The Obnoxious Foreign Policy Ideas in Romney’s Convention Speech

Posted on August 31, 2012, 12:53 AM Daniel Larison

I won't copy and paste any of it (except for one paragraph, further on)--it's brief--here's the link:

*snip*

That is one huge difference between the 2 parties.

The Republican side is willing to call their own onto the carpet when they disagree with them.
The Democrat side, well, their 'elected' can never be wrong. And if you ever question that rule you are ostracized from the party.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
Mitt Romney's acceptance speech at the RNC:

He abandoned our friends in Poland by walking away from missile defense commitments.

That's a very misleading statement.

Obama scrapped the missile defense plan for Europe that was inherited from the Bush administration and almost immediately replaced it with a new one. Defense Secretary Gates, who was Obama's holdover from the Bush administration, took the lead in publicizing the rationale for the new plan. I covered it all right here--starting with the Obama administration's explanation of why they wanted a new plan.

I don't consider posting on a message board like this to be real political action, vs. working directly for a party or a candidate.

I do like to investigate many of the bogus or grossly misleading statements that are posted on this message board, and the statements that are most interesting to me always seem to be targeted against the Obama administration.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-02-2012).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
How is it a myth that Obama has gone around the world apologizing for the United States? I wouldn't think that one would be even CLOSE to being questionable.

I will begin my presidency with the jobs tour. President Obama began his with an apology tour.

It's a misleading statement.

As far as I can determine, it all stems from April 3, 2009, when President Obama was addressing an audience in Strasbourg, France.

Here are what I believe are the relevant excerpts from that occasion:

... before I take some questions, I hope you don't mind me making a few remarks about my country and yours; the relationship between the United States and the relationship between Europe.

Strasbourg has been known throughout history as a city at the crossroads. Over thousands of years, you straddled many kingdoms and many cultures. Two rivers are joined here. Two religions have flourished in your churches. Three languages comprise an ancient oath that bears the city's name. You served as a center of industry and commerce, a seat of government and education, where Goethe studied and Pasteur taught and Gutenberg imagined his printing press.

So it's fitting because we find ourselves at a crossroads as well -- all of us -- for we've arrived at a moment where each nation and every citizen must choose at last how we respond to a world that has grown smaller and more connected than at any time in its existence.

We've known for a long time that the revolutions in communications and technology that took place in the 20th century would hold out enormous promise for the 21st century -- the promise of broader prosperity and mobility; of new breakthroughs and discoveries that could help us lead richer and fuller lives. But the same forces that have brought us closer together have also given rise to new dangers that threaten to tear our world apart -- dangers that cannot be contained by the nearest border or the furthest ocean.

Even with the Cold War now over, the spread of nuclear weapons or the theft of nuclear material could lead to the extermination of any city on the planet. And this weekend in Prague, I will lay out an agenda to seek the goal of a world without nuclear weapons.

We also know that the pollution from cars in Boston or from factories in Beijing are melting the ice caps in the Arctic, and that that will disrupt weather patterns everywhere. The terrorists who struck in London, in New York, plotted in distant caves and simple apartments much closer to your home. And the reckless speculation of bankers that has new fueled a global economic downturn that's inflicting pain on workers and families is happening everywhere all across the globe.

The economic crisis has proven the fact of our interdependence in the most visible way yet. Not more than a generation ago, it would have been difficult to imagine that the inability of somebody to pay for a house in Florida could contribute to the failure of the banking system in Iceland. Today what's difficult to imagine is that we did not act sooner to shape our future.

Now, there's plenty of blame to go around for what has happened, and the United States certainly shares its -- shares blame for what has happened. But every nation bears responsibility for what lies ahead, especially now, for whether it's the recession or climate change, or terrorism, or drug trafficking, poverty, or the proliferation of nuclear weapons, we have learned that without a doubt there's no quarter of the globe that can wall itself off from the threats of the 21st century.

The president went on to say:

Such an effort is never easy. It's always harder to forge true partnerships and sturdy alliances than to act alone, or to wait for the action of somebody else. It's more difficult to break down walls of division than to simply allow our differences to build and our resentments to fester. So we must be honest with ourselves. In recent years we've allowed our Alliance to drift. I know that there have been honest disagreements over policy, but we also know that there's something more that has crept into our relationship. In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.

But in Europe, there is an anti-Americanism that is at once casual but can also be insidious. Instead of recognizing the good that America so often does in the world, there have been times where Europeans choose to blame America for much of what's bad.
On both sides of the Atlantic, these attitudes have become all too common. They are not wise. They do not represent the truth. They threaten to widen the divide across the Atlantic and leave us both more isolated. They fail to acknowledge the fundamental truth that America cannot confront the challenges of this century alone, but that Europe cannot confront them without America.

So I've come to Europe this week to renew our partnership, one in which America listens and learns from our friends and allies, but where our friends and allies bear their share of the burden. Together, we must forge common solutions to our common problems.
So let me say this as clearly as I can: America is changing, but it cannot be America alone that changes. We are confronting the greatest economic crisis since World War II. The only way to confront this unprecedented crisis is through unprecedented coordination.

I used boldface for the sentences that are arguably apologetic in tone.

First he said that the United States shares some (but not all) of the blame for what he identified as certain problems that are global in scope. Then he said that some in America (he is using "United States" and "America" interchangeably) had "dissed" Europe, and that some in Europe had "dissed" America. Then he said that America is changing [in the effort to find solutions to the global problems that he has already outlined] but that other countries have to change [their policies] as well.

Here's the complete transcript:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/t...trasbourg-Town-Hall/

I don't know of any other statements from President Obama or his administration that can be construed as apologizing for any kind of wrong or shortcoming on the part of the United States.

Here is the comment that surfaced recently on PFF:

Worldwide apology tour (this borders on treason IMHO)

First of all, it wasn't a worldwide tour, it was remarks at a single city in France. Secondly, I don't know how any rational person can go from what Obama said in Strasbourg (as I have documented) to "borders on treason". If Obama had said that something was ALL the fault of the United States or that something was ONLY the fault of the United States and not also the fault of many other countries, there would be a case. But he didn't.

It's one thing to disagree with these statements that Obama made, but to transform this one moment into "worldwide apology tour" or "borders on treason" is laughable--and anyone who makes such laughable remarks should be laughed at, and not taken at all seriously as a source of credible (or even arguable) information on this topic.

I wish that the "Obama apology" posters would either put up (post whatever specific Obama statements that they are referring to) or shut up.

Just in case anyone has it in mind to try and create a diversionary smokescreen about this issue, let it be said: Obama has made his share of verbal gaffes, including at least two open-mic gaffes. I think his most inexplicable gaffe was when he referred to "Polish death camps" instead of "Nazi death camps" when he was visiting Poland. And he did apologize to Poland (in writing) for that one. But that was apologizing for himself--not for the United States of America.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-01-2012).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
How is it a myth that Obama hurt Israel's cause and standing by saying the 1967 border should be the standard? Really. I'm open to hearing in what sense that is close to being an accurate portrayal.

President Obama has thrown allies like Israel under the bus...
Really?

President Obama on May 19, 2011:

So while the core issues of the conflict must be negotiated, the basis of those negotiations is clear: a viable Palestine, a secure Israel. The United States believes that negotiations should result in two states, with permanent Palestinian borders with Israel, Jordan, and Egypt, and permanent Israeli borders with Palestine. We believe the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states. The Palestinian people must have the right to govern themselves, and reach their full potential, in a sovereign and contiguous state.

The first thing to remark is that Obama referred to "the 1967 lines with mutually agreed [land] swaps".

The second thing to remark is that Bush (43) already committed the U.S. to the same policy on May 26, 2005:

Any final status agreement must be reached between the two parties, and changes to the 1949 Armistice lines must be mutually agreed to. A viable two-state solution must ensure contiguity of the West Bank, and a state of scattered territories will not work. There must also be meaningful linkages between the West Bank and Gaza. This is the position of the United States today, it will be the position of the United States at the time of final status negotiations.

Obama said 1967 borders with mutually agreed land swaps. Bush said 1949 Armistice lines with changes by agreement from both sides. The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs refers to the pre-1967 borders between Israel and Palestine as the "1949-1967 Armistice Lines."

So Obama didn't change the policy that his immediate predecessor had already laid down.

I suppose it can be argued that the situation had changed significantly from the Bush statement in 2005 to the Obama statement in 2011, and that Obama should have found the freedom to break away from this already well-entrenched aspect of U.S. foreign policy, but I don't think that is the argument that Obama's current critics are trying to make on this point. I think that they are saying "Hey, we were all good on this until Obama came along!"

I doubt that you will see Romney (if he wins) make any substantial changes to the current U.S. position on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Maybe Romney or his cohorts have talked about the U.S. recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, instead of Tel Aviv(?) I don't think that would actually happen, until there's a final agreement between the Israelis and the Palestinians. I think it would be a blunder of very regrettable proportions if the U.S. were to do that, before the realization of a final agreement.

There's more about the history of this issue here:
http://mediamatters.org/res...announcing-is/179826

Here are some excerpts from a statement that the Obama White House released on July 27, 2012 under the title Fact Sheet: Advancing Israel's Security and Supporting Peace:

The President has strengthened Israel’s security in tangible and concrete ways.

On July 27, 2012 the President signed the “United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012”, which strengthens Israel’s qualitative military edge. The bill expressed bipartisan Congressional support for Administration initiatives that deepen U.S. defense and security cooperation with Israel, to include providing Israel with financial and technological assistance to produce defensive systems to counter the threat of rockets and missiles; access to U.S. manufactured defense equipment and excess defense articles; and increased opportunities to train with U.S. military forces.

Despite tough fiscal times, the President fought for and secured full funding for Israel in FY 2012, including $3 billion in Foreign Military Financing – the largest amount of funding for Israel in U.S. history.

The President secured an additional $205 million in FY 2011 to help produce an Israeli-developed short-range rocket defense system called Iron Dome, which has helped defend Israeli communities against rocket attacks by successfully striking rockets as they are fired at Israeli civilians.

In July 2012, President Obama provided an additional $70 million to Israel to ensure that Israel could maximize its production of the Iron Dome system for 2012. Over the next three years, the Administration intends to request additional funding for Iron Dome, based on an annual assessment of Israeli security requirements against an evolving threat.

Israeli forces now benefit from regular joint exercises and training opportunities, access to advanced U.S. military hardware, emergency stockpiles, and favorable terms for the acquisition of equipment.

Prime Minister Netanyahu told the AIPAC conference on May 23, 2012, that “Yesterday President Obama spoke about his ironclad commitment to Israel's security. He rightly said that our security cooperation is unprecedented… And he has backed those words with deeds.”

In a July 25, 2012, speech to the Israeli National Security College, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said, “The security ties between us and the current administration are at the highest level they have ever been. The administration is consistently strengthening the depths of Israel’s security abilities. The decision to expand the Iron Dome system with U.S. financial backing is yet another expression of this deep connection and commitment.

The President has galvanized the international community to put more pressure on the Iranian regime than ever before.

The President has made clear that Israel cannot be expected to negotiate with Hamas, a terrorist group sworn to its destruction.

The President has forcefully opposed unbalanced and biased actions against Israel in the Security Council, the UN General Assembly, and across the UN system.

The President has called on all sides – Arabs, Palestinians, and Israelis alike – to do their part to help achieve Middle East peace.

In Cairo, the President said that Arab states must recognize that they too have responsibilities to move towards peace, including by fostering a culture of peace. He said clearly that “threatening Israel with destruction – or repeating vile stereotypes about Jews – is deeply wrong,” and that denying the Holocaust is “baseless, ignorant, and hateful.”

In his May 19, 2011 speech, President Obama emphasized that a peace agreement must meet the needs of both sides, including by: ending the conflict and resolving all claims, achieving the goal of two states for two peoples with Israel as a Jewish state and homeland for the Jewish people, achieving secure and recognized borders for both sides, and devising robust security arrangements that will not leave Israel vulnerable.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-01-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock