Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  July broke all records for hottest month across continental U.S.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

July broke all records for hottest month across continental U.S. by rinselberg
Started on: 08-09-2012 01:30 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: E.Furgal on 08-09-2012 04:52 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
July was the hottest month the continental US has seen since records began, federal scientists have said.

Last month, the average temperature was 77.6F (25.3C), hotter than the old record from July 1936, during a period of severe drought known in the US as the Dust Bowl.

The last 12 months were the warmest since modern records began in 1895.

It was also more than 3 degrees (F) warmer than the average temperature in July during the 20th Century.

Climate scientist Jake Crouch, from the National Climatic Data Center in North Carolina, attributed the phenomenon to both localised heat and drought, as well as global warming, according to the Associated Press. . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19187115

NASA's Hansen puts computer modeling aside, relies on statistics to argue that recent and current heat waves are evidence of AGW:

WASHINGTON — The relentless, weather-gone-crazy type of heat that has blistered the United States and other parts of the world in recent years is so rare that it can’t be anything but man-made global warming, says a new statistical analysis from a top government scientist.

The research by a man often called the “godfather of global warming” says that the likelihood of such temperatures occurring from the 1950s through the 1980s was rarer than 1 in 300. Now, the odds are closer to 1 in 10, according to the study by NASA scientist James Hansen. He says that statistically what’s happening is not random or normal, but pure and simple climate change.

http://www.washingtonpost.c...913931f71_story.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
D3M6B

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D3M6BSend a Private Message to D3M6BDirect Link to This Post
Really..... this again?

------------------
V/R
AG2(IDW/AW/SW) Mauk

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I'm not arguing against Global Warming, but if it is to be true, shouldn't the last record have been in 2011? I'd even think 2000+ yo be acceptable as evidence.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
Another recent report:

2001-2010 warmest decade on record: World Meteorological Organisation

GENEVA: Climate change has accelerated in the past decade, the UN weather agency said Friday, releasing data showing that 2001 to 2010 was the warmest decade on record.

The 10-year period was also marked by extreme levels of rain or snowfall, leading to significant flooding on all continents, while droughts affected parts of East Africa and North America.

"The decade 2001-2010 was the warmest since records began in 1850, with global land and sea surface temperatures estimated at 0.46 degrees Celsius above the long term average of 14.0 degrees Celsius (57.2 degrees Fahrenheit)," said the World Meteorological Organisation.

Nine of the 10 years also counted among the 10 warmest on record, it added, noting that "climate change accelerated" during the first decade of the 21st century.

The trend continued in 2011, which was the warmest year on record despite La Nina -- a weather pattern which has a cooling effect.

'The average temperature in 2011 was 0.40 degrees Celsius above the long term average, said the WMO.

"This 2011 annual assessment confirms the findings of the previous WMO annual statements that climate change is happening now and is not some distant future threat," said WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud.

"The world is warming because of human activities and this is resulting in far-reaching and potentially irreversible impacts on our Earth, atmosphere and oceans," he added.

The UN weather agency noted that during the decade, "numerous weather and climate extremes affected almost every part of the globe with flooding, droughts, cyclones, heat waves and cold waves."

Historical floods hit Eastern Europe in 2001 and 2005, Africa in 2008, Asia and Australia in 2010.Global precipitation -- including rain or snow -- reached the second highest average since 1901. The highest average was recorded for the decade 1951-1960.

Meanwhile for the North Atlantic basin, the 10 years marked the highest level of tropical cyclone activity, including Hurricane Katrina which struck the United States in 2005 and Cyclone Nargis which hit Myanmar in 2008.

http://timesofindia.indiati...cleshow/12394358.cms
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
a typical summer here is as warm as 50c and winters can get as cold as - 15c
tonight snow down 800m, we live at 789 m/ 2495Ft above sea level
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
another MEDIA LIE
depends where you where...
here in ma.. it was the 3rd hotest.. 2010 being the hotest. and 2nd being 1934
go global warming, wait wait, can't call it that anymore as thats fraud.. climate change,, ya ya thats the ticket..
guess the fact that the weather isn't the same in winter,spring, summer or fall.. and would be in fact climate change..
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Regardless of wither this is man made or natural.. The problem still exists. Our planet is heating up. Which is causing much more devastating storms, droughts, and natural disasters. These are interesting times that we live in. And that is not a good thing. We can expect to see a lot more death and destruction coming our way if this trend does continue.

So I do not care if it is man made or not, this is bad.
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
I live in Texas. It has been hotter before. This is kinda cool.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Regardless of wither this is man made or natural.. The problem still exists. Our planet is heating up. Which is causing much more devastating storms, droughts, and natural disasters. These are interesting times that we live in. And that is not a good thing. We can expect to see a lot more death and destruction coming our way if this trend does continue.

+1 It is not good, as it seems fairly obvious that there is an overall warming trend.

Now, the extent to which it is caused by humans is certainly questionable. I see no problems in taking reasonable (emphasis on reasonable) steps to try and keep emissions down just in case it is a factor. That said, throwing the country off an economic cliff, as some would like to do (carbon credits, etc), is more than a bit drastic.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that's right. We had the worst dust bowl of all time this year. We had the most devastating hurricanes hit the US this year. We had the worst tornadoes ever this year

Wait - none of those are correct.

When you start with data that you have simply congered up, you will come to the conclusions you are already leaning towards.

- I am still waiting for someone to claim the "apparent increase" in earthquakes and tsunamis is being caused by global warming.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

I am still waiting for someone to claim the "apparent increase" in earthquakes and tsunamis is being caused by global warming.

It's caused by "Fracking", dontchaknow..........
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
*sigh* Where'd I leave my "not THIS s*** again" picture?

From a climate scientist who seems to lack an agenda
July 2012 Hottest Ever in the U.S.? Hmmm….I Doubt It

From a meteorologist who audited the weather stations around the country
An ‘inconvenient result’ – July 2012 not a record breaker according to data from the new NOAA/NCDC U.S. Climate Reference Network

Oh, and don't forget all of the "adjustments" they've made to the historic temperature records. Torture that data until it confesses!
Dear NOAA and Seth, which 1930′s were you comparing to when you say July 2012 is the record warmest?

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 08-09-2012).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Yeah yeah, its the end of the world, we're all gonna die, Al Gore is our savior...heard it all before
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:
Yeah yeah, its the end of the world, we're all gonna die, Al Gore is our savior...heard it all before

Or "OK, we have the evidence now so QUICK...TAX US!!!"

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

That Image violates two posting rules, FYI. 1. Do not circumvent the censor system. 2. Do not post offensive images. Ideally, these rules are for everybody.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/043583.html
Just in case you need a refresh.

[This message has been edited by WhiteDevil88 (edited 08-09-2012).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Loki:

I live in Texas. It has been hotter before. This is kinda cool.

Yep, I found July to be quite cool and unusually wet.

It's always interesting that these reports try to link to global warming/climate change/(whatever they'll call it next) but had July NOT been the hottest month on record, I have little doubt that you would have heard only crickets chirping or at the very most, the ever lingering cry of "anecdotal evidence!".

It's much like the GW nuts accross the world proclaiming after Katrina and Ike, that GW WAS the cause and the hurricane frequency and intensity would increase each year following. (Ike was in 2008 and the last hurricane to make US landfall untill Irene did in 2011) Did you hear Al Gore, NOAA or any of the GW nuts proclaim that this abscence of bigger and more numerous storms DISPROVED GW? Nope--just crickets. It is only data and events which "might" tend to prove GW that you hear about, and of course, no matter what, there will always be a July at some point in time that is "hottest on record".

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Here broke the record too...from 1860s. So its obvious its getting warmer in the last 150 years....lol. Maybe by 2250 it might even be 2 more degrees warmer on average.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
"filling the vast emptiness of Siberia with grass-eating animals can slow global warming."

http://rtfitchauthor.com/20...slow-global-warming/

Everyones got an opinion.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I read that. I'm not a scientist by any means, but I know that plants consume co2 and I know that cows contribute methane. It seems like exactly the wrong thing to do to me.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 08-09-2012).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
To all those who say our average temps are not higher... Just because your particular town is not hotter than last year, does not mean the overall planet's temp is not higher.
For example... When the lake water temps get too high, We have to shut down our Nuclear Reactors.

In the past, this was a rarity. As in it almost never happened. In the last 4 years, it has been a yearly occurrence.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

To all those who say our average temps are not higher... Just because your particular town is not hotter than last year, does not mean the overall planet's temp is not higher.
For example... When the lake water temps get too high, We have to shut down our Nuclear Reactors.

In the past, this was a rarity. As in it almost never happened. In the last 4 years, it has been a yearly occurrence.

well then, that answers it..

lets try your thinking, in revearse.. just because your area was HOTTER doesn't mean the overall planet's temp is higher..
see how that works..
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock