Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Purchased a 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 4.0 today. :))

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Purchased a 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 4.0 today. :)) by Synthesis
Started on: 06-24-2012 05:45 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Synthesis on 08-27-2012 07:13 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Cindy's Saturn is dying a horrible death, so we started car shopping.

We found an Olds Aurora with the 4.0 V8 in it for a pretty good price.

Just a hair shy of 95,000 miles, Arizona car with absolutely no rust and a spotless under carriage.
Brand new tires and battery..

It was reported that it stalled at stop signs/lights, but after speaking with the man today (late 70's), he says it happened once, in Arizona, and it was 120 degrees that day.

There is also a brake light on on the dash, but I am pretty sure I know what that is...

And the tint is the cheap Wally World crap, which will have to come off, ASAP... Ish.

Otherwise, it started with no issues, rides smooth, sounds and feels great.

We pick it up tomorrow.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
If you don't mind me asking, what did you give for it?

Jonathan
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
You know the rules, Pics or......

Brad
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Photos incoming when I get the car home tomorrow. Maybe Wednesday if I can't get home soon enough Tuesday.

We paid 4,800 for it... Put earnest money on it today, and pick the loan check up for it tomorrow.
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
That is an awesome car with an awesome drive train.

I remember back in the day that I wanted an Olds Trofeo an early 90's model.

Love their dash

I was always an Oldsmobile fan.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronDirect Link to This Post
Neighbor has one of them.

I hide every time I see him outside.

Spent many a night until after midnight helping him get it back on the road again.

Been down for over a month now for a starter. Yup, its under the intake, he is scared, very scared !!!

Congratulations on your car, you will Love it !!!
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
We have a 2000. Awesome cars. That motor has some serious cajones for moving that big old body around. Check for leaks. Ours has 60k on it and has started a pretty decent leak as of late. Also, working on that motor is a nightmare, thus why the leak isn't getting fixed any time soon. Lol.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

We have a 2000. Awesome cars. That motor has some serious cajones for moving that big old body around. Check for leaks. Ours has 60k on it and has started a pretty decent leak as of late. Also, working on that motor is a nightmare, thus why the leak isn't getting fixed any time soon. Lol.

They didn't make a 2000 model.
They skipped 2000 before introducing the Gen 2 in 2001.

Viking... Yeah, I've read the horror stories.
This one has not been detailed inside or outside. The guy showed it to us with the Arizona road dust still on it, not cleaned inside/outside/under the hood...
I didn't see any obvious leaks when I looked underneath, and everything sounded good. No timing chain clatter in the front, and the engine accelerates SMOOTH... Not hiccups...

I am supposed to pick it up tonight, but we'll see how I feel after my surgery.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Picking the car up tonight..

Just checked bank value. The bank values it at 7,800.
We paid 4,800...

I think I'm going to get my insurance agent to insure it for bank value with the papers we have showing it...
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
&%)&%#)&*%_&%_&(%

Car dropped a "Low Oil Pressure" warning on me half a block from home, and ran with no power whatsoever... Got it into the alley, and it wouldn't idle well. Spitting/sputtering. Shut it off. Won't start now.

Oil is full, ran beautifully all the way home (35 miles), and did this right at the stop light down the road.

Edit:
Discovered something... The Fuel Gauge is wrong... It reads full... And bounces between full and empty randomly... Dumped a gallon of gas in it, it started right up. Drove it to the gas station, and filled the 17.5 gallon tank with 18 gallons of gas. Looks like I get to put a sending unit in it.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 06-27-2012).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
So it was just out of gas? Whats with the low oil pressure light. The guy maybe hasn't changed it in waaaay to long?
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

So it was just out of gas? Whats with the low oil pressure light. The guy maybe hasn't changed it in waaaay to long?

The car transporter drained all of the fluids from the car. The oil was 2 quarts low, the transmission fluid was two quarts low. Fuel tank must have been damned close to empty... Topped everything off but the fuel. The gauge said it was full. Surprised it made it the 35 miles home.

The low oil pressure was the car not idling at a high enough speed, causing the oil pressure to drop below the threshold for the warning chime, etc.

The sending unit in the tank has dirty contacts. GM actually has an additive that you put in the tank before filling that is supposed to clear the contacts up...

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 06-27-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Even PK had a picture of his new ride for his thread...

edit: VVV nice, that looks like a comfortable ride. Hope it works out well for you Chris!

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 06-27-2012).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I have photos, direct from the Craigslist ad...

I'll be washing the car today...

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Ah, you have that body style. Ours is the older bigger one. Maybe a 99? But I've always liked that smaller sleeker style better.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

Ah, you have that body style. Ours is the older bigger one. Maybe a 99? But I've always liked that smaller sleeker style better.

Your taillights are cooler though. I like the single panel look of the older style. But Chris' front bumper is way better.
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Your taillights are cooler though. I like the single panel look of the older style. But Chris' front bumper is way better.

That I definitely agree. It's my stepmom's car and she hates the rear though, lol.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
It is HOT outside....

I have a shimmy when I hit the brakes harder than about halfway... Suspect a warped rotor...

So, since it needed new front pads, and I have an "in" at O'Reilly, I picked up rotors/pads for all four corners today...

Bought Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads for the four corners, and lifetime Bosch rotors all the way around.

I also discovered the ABS issue.

The relay inside of the ABS Control module is faulty. I'll be tearing the control unit out at the first available opportunity and tearing into it. May just be a cold solder joint, which is the common issue, or a truly bad component, which is about 10 dollars.

We'll see...

I also sanded out the yellowing and fuzziness on the headlights today... What a difference that makes. They are still old looking and not as super shiny as they were new... But, they don't look bad at all... Especially when compared to the original appearance.

Photos incoming once I get the car back on the ground.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
New brakes resolved the issues with the shimmy when pressing the brakes....

Polished the lights.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 06-29-2012).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I FIXED MY ABS MODULE

Yep, I opened that baby up, found a cold solder joint on the relay, and resoldered all of the terminals I could find... I'm dancing around in happiness right now...
Ever see a 6'4 1/2" tall fat man dance for joy? Not a sight you want to see.

All lights are off, no codes set.

An hour to get it out, 10 minutes to open the case, 5 minutes to solder, and an hour to reseal the case and reinstall.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna mention the headlights, but thought it could have just been the picture.
They look good now though!

And yeah, way too freaking hot out.

------------------

-Aaron

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Nice ride! I always like those cars.
Sounds like you got a hell of a deal.

If you can remember, I sure would appreciate the part number for the fuel sender cleaner.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-30-2012).]

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
Those are nice cars. Nice find~
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
If you can remember, I sure would appreciate the part number for the fuel sender cleaner.

88861011 (GM) or 88861013 (AC Delco)
The bottles are strangely identical to Techron Concentrate Plus. Hmmmmm
I grabbed a bottle of Techron today to see if it helps the goofy fuel gauge in my S10.
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I FIXED MY ABS MODULE
I'm dancing around in happiness right now...
Ever see a 6'4 1/2" tall fat man dance for joy? Not a sight you want to see.

Wow, there's an image I didn't need.

Joe

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:
88861011 (GM) or 88861013 (AC Delco)
The bottles are strangely identical to Techron Concentrate Plus. Hmmmmm

Thank you sir.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Friday, I discovered a parts yard in MN that has 8 Auroras, 2001-2003...
One of these was a totaled 2001 with a beautiful pearl white paint job with 8,000 miles on it. The interior is mint.

I grabbed the driver's door panel to replace the panel on my '02 with the cracked speaker grill and the wrinkled hand grip where you pull the door closed.
I also took the two sun visors as they were mint, and mine were broken/worn.

The leather interior is spotless on this one, and it also had all four of the discontinued factory embroidered floor mats... Something which my car is lacking.

I grabbed all of that, as well as the aluminum spare from the trunk which has never seen the road. It replaced my steel spare which had a huge blowout in one side of it from the previous owner hitting something while driving on the spare.

Now to replace the sway bar bushings on the front sway bar, as one is worn. I've already installed Poly end-links.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-27-2012).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I love bone yard finds. We have so very few left in Maine that still allow you to walk around in them. The last one that I loved that was local sold all the cars as scrap and he retired, well he stopped junking and went back to driving big rigs. There are still a couple left but way out of town and I hate driving so far only to find nothing I need.

Great find there kid with that low mileage one and all those parts. But you do know this is beginning to sound more like a Fiero with all the work and parts you are putting into it.
Good luck with the new car, my Mom had one, a 2000 I think that the heater core was leaking on straight out of the show room floor.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

The Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MechanicSend a Private Message to The MechanicDirect Link to This Post
Nice car, very clean. I had to replace the door and a rear control arm on one. Ever need a radiator I have one, new in box.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
So does your wife know you secretly plan to steal the engine and put it in the Fiero?
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Ours now has a few oil leaks we're going to have to hunt down.. yay. Just helped my dad change the passenger side rear brake line, it had rotted out but nothing else around it did. The poor car sits too much so it's starting to develop those "not driven enough" issues.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The 4.0 is known to leak quite a bit... I have some leaks that were not obvious at first, but now show pretty well... One of them is bad enough that it ate the front passenger sway bar bushing.
I need to get into the lower half of the bay with a pressure washer and some Purple Power to clean it so I can find the leaks, and work on it relatively grease free.

The inner boot on the driver's axle is leaking as well... Axles are cheap, and from what it looks like, I can swap the axle in about an hour on this thing... It can wait for a little bit though.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock