Restoring a G1 Jetfire figure from Transforers by Curlrup
Started on: 06-22-2012 11:42 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: tbone42 on 06-24-2012 12:46 PM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
So I have been working on a G1 Jetfire figure to add to my collection of 300 plus Transforers figures. I always wanted a G1 Jetfire so I picked up this guy for cheap

He was yellowed, had a broken shouder and broken canopy. So I fixed the broken pieces made a silicone mold and cast new parts

I took him apart and did a chemical soak to remove the yellowing.

Whew. After some new paint and decals I now have this.

Ahhhhh I now have a fresh G1 Jetfire. It's good to have a little workshop.

Curly

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 06-22-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's some great work...!

Have any pics of the mold? Very cool...
8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Wow I am Impressed!!!
I have only recently begun to rebuild my TF Collection.

My wife bought me the Masterpiece Optimus with trailer for xmas

But that is some seriously impressive work!!!
DL10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Very nice work............ what kind of chemical soak did you use to remove the yellowing?
red84sematt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post
hey i have a question. are you complelety sure it is jetfire? doesn't look like him to me and to be honest it looks like robotech. the fighter mode looks it and so does the robot mode,as well as missing his autobot ensigna. does it have a third mode? i am unsure if it would but there were three modes to robotech in the show.

i did a little searching and it looks like it could be a transformer, but its not the jet fire from the show anyway they did make the orginal g1 style from what i see. they show yours in the transformer package. someone must have been making a lot of money on that one because it is designed exactly to the robotech bot/fighter ect. from what i have been reading in a few minutes that may be what we got for the american market and the orginal jetfire from the show was the jap. version?

if you know of robotech you will see what i mean right away, its a curious thing now that ive done some digging.

you did a great job on it though that i will say, very very nice! i like how it turned out in the end.

[This message has been edited by red84sematt (edited 06-23-2012).]

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
yea, id def say they look almost the same

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by red84sematt:

hey i have a question. are you complelety sure it is jetfire? doesn't look like him to me and to be honest it looks like robotech. the fighter mode looks it and so does the robot mode,as well as missing his autobot ensigna. does it have a third mode? i am unsure if it would but there were three modes to robotech in the show.

i did a little searching and it looks like it could be a transformer, but its not the jet fire from the show anyway they did make the orginal g1 style from what i see. they show yours in the transformer package. someone must have been making a lot of money on that one because it is designed exactly to the robotech bot/fighter ect. from what i have been reading in a few minutes that may be what we got for the american market and the orginal jetfire from the show was the jap. version?

if you know of robotech you will see what i mean right away, its a curious thing now that ive done some digging.

you did a great job on it though that i will say, very very nice! i like how it turned out in the end.

It is from Robotech, well, the Japanese show Macross, anyway. IIRC Hasbro never technically made an original Jetfire toy, choosing to instead buy the Macross "Valkyrie" molds from Japanese toy maker Bandai and rebrand them.
red84sematt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post
i see. well from what i found they did make a skyfire/jetfire in japan that was exact to the show.

well now that the mystery is solved. i guess im done haha , b ut it just stood out at me like wait a minute!
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Jetfire was the Roy Focker or Skull Leader from Macross. Hasbro "borrowed" toys from several Japanese toylines. Mostly Takara but Jetfire from Bandai. The Autobot insignia has not been replaced yet. I have one on order.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007

Originally posted by DL10:

Very nice work............ what kind of chemical soak did you use to remove the yellowing?

Hydrogen Peroxide, oxy clean, and 3 weeks of sunshine.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Awesome restoration! 2X
PFF
System Bot
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
can you post and pictures from your other restorations... being a child in the 80's, this has be intrigued.
red84sematt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post
hey curlup, i must tell you thank you as i will have to watch the whole series of macross and transformers again! not that i don't do that bout once a year anyway! haha thanks.

fantastic job on the restore though.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Aura:

can you post and pictures from your other restorations... being a child in the 80's, this has be intrigued.

This is the first one I have done.

Red84 I watch them yearly as well.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Very neat Culrup!

I have one of these out in the garage with my old toys, but its in much worse shape then yours. Incidentally, I was a fan of both Transformers and Robotech however I bought this particular toy specifically because it looked like Rick Hunter's Veritech, I never even bothered to put the Transformer stickers on mine.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
That sticker sheet if you still had it could be worth some money.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

That sticker sheet if you still had it could be worth some money.

Yeah I bet! Sadly its at least 25 years gone.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I hope u did not ruin the value by removing 25 years of yellowing... I remember when I was 9 years old, I got Jetfire and Shockwave for Christmas.. was the best haul I ever had. I still have a few of my G1 transformers, but I gave most of them away when I was 15 to the neighbor kid. I had all the 1st series except Wheeljack, and all the 2nd series except Ramjet and Hoist.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock