Started on: 04-24-2012 06:47 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-24-2012 07:42 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
http://www.wesh.com/news/23197396/detail.html

Just when the United States is about to retire its space shuttles, the Air Force has built a new one.
The new shuttle is a project that has been kept quiet, but it’s about to make a lot of noise when it launches from Cape Canaveral on Thursday.
The new shuttle cannot carry astronauts, and it doesn’t have a name, such as Atlantis or Discovery. It’s known only as the Orbital Test Vehicle or X-37.
The Air Force has quietly practiced landing it on a remote lake bed in the California desert, but now it is time to launch it.
The X-37 launches vertically atop an Atlas rocket inside its nose cone. It’s now at Launch Pad 41 ready for launch on Thursday at 7:52 p.m. EDT.
The X-37 was originally a NASA project, intended to launch inside the original space shuttles, and was supposed to lead to advanced versions that could carry astronauts.
But government officials said they decided not to go through with it as a NASA project, and it was handed over to the Air Force, which will use it for research in space and possibly for classified purposes.
When the original space shuttles are retired later this year, the U.S. will have no way to launch its own astronauts.
At a glance, the X-37 may look like it could pick up where the old space shuttles leave off. But, in fact, it could take years of major modifications to give the X-37 the capability to carry a crew.
The Air Force is not discussing the subject, and it is not saying when the X-37 will land after its first launch.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Why do we need the Air Force version?

Wasn't there one built by a private individual that showed it didn't take billions of dollars to get into space?

All that has happened is that the Government has militarized something else.

Brad
heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Will the Navy version land on a carrier?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
I dunno Brad....in my career, I might have worked with some of those guys, Hell I even got the privilege of meeting a General, once...his name was Chuck Yeager....ask him how he feels about space...Ya know man, someday a humun will drive a machine up there, drive it back to the ground, fuel it and take it back up again.....
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I dunno Brad....in my career, I might have worked with some of those guys, Hell I even got the privilege of meeting a General, once...his name was Chuck Yeager....ask him how he feels about space...Ya know man, someday a humun will drive a machine up there, drive it back to the ground, fuel it and take it back up again.....

You forgot to add that as long as that human was a Billionaire, or in the Military. And the Government is working on doing away with the first group.

Brad
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Already proposed. Many working on theory and details for years now

http://science.nasa.gov/sci...asa/2000/ast07sep_1/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock