Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Duh! New Research Confirms that Spending Cuts Stimulate the Economy

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Duh! New Research Confirms that Spending Cuts Stimulate the Economy by avengador1
Started on: 04-18-2012 11:59 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: avengador1 on 04-18-2012 06:24 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
http://blog.heritage.org/20...imulate-the-economy/

New research suggests that legislators should cut spending and enact growth-inducing policies. The reasoning? According to the study, spending cuts can positively affect economic growth and are the only historically reliable way to lower deficits and debt.

The authors of the study, Alberto Alesina and Francesco Giavazzi, write that “spending-based consolidations [spending cuts] accompanied by the right polices tend to be less recessionary or even have a positive impact on growth.” (emphasis added)

These findings confirm what was certainly true in past U.S. recessions.

Alesina and Giavazzi also add that “only spending-based adjustments have eventually led to a permanent consolidation of the budget, as measured by the stabilization—if not the reduction—of debt-to-GDP ratios.”

No ordinary person needs a study to know that when government spends less of our money it will be better for the economy, and that less spending means less debt. Yet this proposition seems bewildering to many intellectuals who maintain that spending cuts would bring economic ruin. After all, they say, look at how pointlessly damaging European spending cuts have been.

Paul Krugman, for instance, concludes that the European example illuminates how “slashing spending in a depressed economy depresses the economy even more.”

But Europe has gone beyond cutting spending; it’s also hiked tax rates, which everyone agrees is contractionary. Alesina and Giavazzi’s study cautions that one must disentangle whether spending reductions, tax hikes, both, or neither cause hardship. Indeed, drawing conclusions like Krugman does—without discerning between spending cuts and tax hikes—is like observing an individual who consumes pizzas, sodas, burgers, and broccoli and concluding that broccoli is unhealthy and making him overweight. It’s careless analysis.

Sloppy economics lumps both spending and taxes together; proper economics analyzes them separately as well as together. Once discerned, it’s clear that the composition of “austerity” matters: Tax hikes contract an economy; spending cuts grow an economy.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
This is no surprise to anyone who can add 2 and 2 and get 4. The problem is that there are people with political agendas for whom the truth is a threat. As such, they deny reality, feign ignorance, and deflect by propping up laughable alternative models.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You forgot to add blaming the other side.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock