Started on: 03-16-2012 09:29 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-16-2012 06:38 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Wasn't someone here saying that the price of fuel does not have any effect on consumer prices?
http://economywatch.msnbc.m...s-thanks-to-gasoline

Rising pump prices helped drive up costs for consumers to their highest in 10 months in February, government data showed on Friday. There was little evidence that underlying inflation was building, however.

The Labor Department said the consumer price index rose a seasonally-adjusted 0.4 percent in February, with the gas component driving over 80 percent of the change. It was the biggest increase in 10 months.

Continue reading at link.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Obama
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I did, and will say it again--it's negligible. Not even 1/2 of 1% increase.
0.4%?
ZERO POINT 4%?

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I can tell you that my grocery bill used to be $100 a week, but now it is $160. There are many factors, but petroleum price increases are part of the problem (not just gasoline, but as a raw material). Oil is used for many consumer goods, not just gasoline.
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
The value of 3 ounces of silver fills my fridge today just like it did back 15 years ago, or even 30 years ago. Inflation is the value of the US dollar constantly dropping, it takes so much more of them now to purchase anything. Meatloaf is the "new" steak these days, sigh.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

The value of 3 ounces of silver fills my fridge today just like it did back 15 years ago, or even 30 years ago. Inflation is the value of the US dollar constantly dropping, it takes so much more of them now to purchase anything. Meatloaf is the "new" steak these days, sigh.

Yup, pay increases have not keep up with rising costs. So, something needs to be cut from the budget.... entertainment, renovations, dining out, etc...

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

I did, and will say it again--it's negligible. Not even 1/2 of 1% increase.
0.4%?
ZERO POINT 4%?

Actually, you originally said "NO" effect. The amount may be miniscule, but it is not negligible. It still has an effect on prices even if it is "negligible" as you say. Higher fuel costs will always trickle down to the consumers as they get passed along. The increase may be only 0.4% but the gas component accounts for over 80 percent of that change. The higher gas prices don't help the consumers themselves as it takes more of their paycheck to buy the same amount of fuel they normally use. This leaves them less money to spend on other items, whose prices are also going up because of higher fuel cost. The consumers are getting hit from both ends, so every little bit hurts, unless their income finds a way to increase to match these rising costs.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 03-16-2012).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
80% of .4% is less still. When you are close enough to zero/none, there's not a lot of difference in zero and "negligible'.
Unless you "good" conservatives are suddenly in favor of price supports, subsidies, price caps, windfall profit tax on yet another business, more consumer price regulations, and a predictable bigger govt to oversee these things, I suggest ya accept this as part of the natural flow of capitalism-----you can't have it both ways--but of course, you WILL continue to try.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

That's a great analogy.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Ironically I do not mind Meatloaf so much. But if we don't reign in government spending soon, in 10 years it will become ratloaf...and that I do mind.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Damn you Daddy Yankee!!!

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Thus meaning the cost of living goes up.. than Goes up minimum wage further reducing the worth of a dollar..
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Thus meaning the cost of living goes up.. than Goes up minimum wage further reducing the worth of a dollar..

So the cost of commodities go up, but the cost of labor shouldn't rise with it? Rising cost of labor, does not devalue the dollar. It is a result of inflation.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I buy about the same thing at the grocery store each time. I only have to go about once a month because I mostly eat out. Everytime I go, the price total goes up about $10. What I did buy a year ago for $60 now costs over $130. My cats food went up almost 3 times what it was. What was 25 cents a can is now 79 cents. Im sure the food itself isnt going up as much as the gas used to have it processed and delivered to stores. Im waiting for places like Fed Ex and UPS to start charging a gas surcharge like airlines. I used to have my grass cut so I didnt have to mess with it till they started adding on a $15 per week gasoline charge. I just bought my own tractor and got rid of them.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock