Started on: 03-14-2012 12:47 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Toddster on 03-16-2012 01:44 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I guess the defense secretary does not trust our soldiers.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn....-leon-panetta-speech

In a highly unusual move, around 200 U.S. Marines were asked to leave their weapons outside the tent where U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was set to speak during his trip to Afghanistan on Wednesday.

Although the military said the order was not given in response to Sunday's shooting of 16 Afghan civilians allegedly by an American soldier, it possibly underlined how high tensions were running after the incident.

"You've got one of the most important people in the world in the room," Maj. Gen. Mark Gurganus told reporters at Camp Leatherneck, dismissing concerns related to the shooting. "This is not a big deal."

He said he had given the order because the two dozen Afghan soldiers also there were unarmed and he did not want to treat them differently.

Just days after an Army staff sergeant allegedly killed 16 Afghan civilians in a shooting rampage, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta visited Afghanistan to meet with government officials and U.S. troops. NBC's Richard Engel reports.

Among those killed Sunday were nine children, and some of the bodies were reportedly burned. The suspect, who hasn't been named, is in U.S. custody.

According to reporters at Camp Leatherneck, the Marines were waiting to hear Panetta's speech when they were abruptly told by their commander to get up, leave their weapons, including M16 and M-4 automatic rifles and 9 mm pistols, outside and return unarmed.

"All I know is I was told to get the weapons out," Sergeant Major Brandon Hall told The New York Times. Asked why, he replied, "Somebody got itchy, that's all I've got to say. Somebody got itchy; we just adjust."

Hall said he was acting on orders from superiors, the Times reported.

U.S. officials told Marines to leave a tent and disarm themselves before re-entering for a meeting with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. NBC's Atia Abawi and Jim Miklaszewski report.

'Sends the wrong message'
Military officials in Washington told NBC News' chief Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklaszewski that the decision to disarm the Marines was indeed significant.

Panetta: Village massacre won't deter US mission

"It sends the wrong message" that Marines can't be trusted in the presence of the secretary of defense," one told him.

According to one official the decision was "stupid."

Miklaszewski also told NBC's Chuck Todd Wednesday that the move was "highly unusual" and that Marines in combat zones are always supposed to have weapons within their reach.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

. . .
"You've got one of the most important people in the world in the room," Maj. Gen. Mark Gurganus told reporters . . .

I think that should read, " You've got some of the most important people in the world in the room, " which would be the Marines. Leon Panetta doesn't even begin to come close.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I guess the defense secretary does not trust our soldiers.

To be fair, he may not have ordered it personally or even know about it. But that said, whomever did ask that soldiers in a war zone disarm needs to be removed from his/her position immediately.
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
The government doesn't trust its citizens or it's soldiers.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Panetta acted stupidly.

I can't think of too many places I'd feel safer than surrounded by well armed Marines.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have never heard of something like this before. Combat troops in a combat zone asked to disarm to hear a speech from a member of their chain of command.

This is madness.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Panetta acted stupidly.

I can't think of too many places I'd feel safer than surrounded by well armed Marines.

unless you are the enemy. So I guess we know how Panetta sees himself in relationship to the Armed Forces of the United States.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

I think that should read, " You've got some of the most important people in the world in the room, " which would be the Marines. Leon Panetta doesn't even begin to come close.

nothing needs to be added.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:
...unless you are the enemy. So I guess we know how Panetta sees himself in relationship to the Armed Forces of the United States.

My take, as well.

If you don't trust your own troops, it speaks volumes.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

My take, as well.

If you don't trust your own troops, it speaks volumes.

Just to fulfill my role as devils advocate, why would the audience need to be armed during the address?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-14-2012 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Just to fulfill my role as devils advocate, why would the audience need to be armed during the address?

They are in a warzone, they should be armed 24/7 for their own safety, and ironically, his while hes there.
PFF
System Bot
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
I'm also guessing the troops assigned to attend had no choice in the matter.

I guess we could rip on pogues a bit.. but it hasn't been confirmed who was assigned to attend.
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

They are in a warzone, they should be armed 24/7 for their own safety, and ironically, his while hes there.

Non-sense, when we came back to Cu Chi in Vietnam for a stand down, we cleaned our weapons and turned them in to the Armory.
They were reissued when we were preparing to returned to the field.
Even sidearms were not allowed after a few shoot outs at the EM Club.
Weapons were not allowed at the Bob Hope show, unless it was assigned security.. Probably S.O.P.
This was a safety issue. We were always armed off base , even in central Saigon.

The idea that Panetta didn't trust the troops is idiotic. An attempt, to imply this administration doesn't have support of the troops, by the usual suspects.
Look at who posted this crap.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

I'm also guessing the troops assigned to attend had no choice in the matter.

Agreed. They don't have any excuses for not applauding politely if they have no weapons in their hands.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock