Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  how can you check if somone has a millitary history/background? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
how can you check if somone has a millitary history/background? by AL87
Started on: 03-07-2012 03:22 AM
Replies: 79
Last post by: spark1 on 03-16-2012 10:45 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
right now there are too many people around me making the claim to be an ex-army ranger, us marine, etc etc.

I was wondering if theres a way for me to just pull up any info about if they ever enlisted, or actually had a millitary history.

I feel like calling them out on thier bs if it is. because they make the claim wayy too much, and its annoying.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

right now there are too many people around me making the claim to be an ex-army ranger, us marine, etc etc.

I was wondering if theres a way for me to just pull up any info about if they ever enlisted, or actually had a millitary history.

I feel like calling them out on thier bs if it is. because they make the claim wayy too much, and its annoying.

I work with one of those guys.

He's a pathological BSer.

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely,

DD214 would be the proof...

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Ask to see their DD Form 214.

http://usmilitary.about.com...ices/a/millocate.htm

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 03-07-2012).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Usually, if you ask where they went to boot camp, where they were stationed, what was there rate when they got out, stuff like that. Ask if they got their three year good conduct award (GCM are awarded every 4 years). It won't take long before you'll be able to spot a BS'er a mile away. Anyone who actually served won't need to buy time to answer the questions. I was in for 8 years and can recite in one breath most of the details of my enlistment without a single "uhm...".
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
I get tired of my friend's remarks about "being an ex-army sniper, who got discharged before deployment because he "purposely failed" the psych-evaluation"" yet I am the one who sets up his scope on his rifle AND sights it in for him.

I looked into that thing and it looks to me like I need to be millitary (at least for the army) to be able to use its resources.

Do you think I could ask a local recruiter for information on this subject?

I just want to be able to shut these people up about them ever being in the millitary, and even play the "you can go to jail for posing" card.

I may not be a Marine like my dad, but I sure as hell act like one and respect those that have served and are serving. lol.

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 03-07-2012).]

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
There's no way you can prove it either way, you just wouldn't have access to the information. It's not really up to people to disprove that someone was or wasn't in the military, it's up to the individual to prove their status. The way I suggested will for sure separate the guys who served from the posers.
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
military.com has a buddy finder. see if they are in there.
johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
DD form 214 is a good, but not perfect way to verify service. I was a recruiter for the NJ Army National Guard for four years and saw many doctored up 214's. Mostly people with bad discharges trying to get in, but also doctored up entries for overseas combat time and awards. Fairly easy to spot back then because of the difference in the typewriters used on the original. They may be easier to to fake now using computer programs.

Most people would have photo albums with picture of the places they served, and this is an almost fool proof way to prove what they claim. False claims like this cause people to doubt others service claims claims, so I show them my albums to back up what I say.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Does it really matter? I mean you'll get to rub it in his face if he is lying but otherwise...?
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Asking someone for a DD214 is just dumb for the purposes of this discussion. If I'm talking to someone and they ask me to produce my DD214 to prove I was in I'm pretty much going to tell them to KMA. I don't really care that much if someone believes me or not. And I may have photos someplace, but again, I'm really not going to put out any real effort to prove my status. And anyone who does care that much is too insecure to have ever been in.
Even Air Force guys have more self respect than that. Heh.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 03-07-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Asking someone for a DD214 is just dumb for the purposes of this discussion. If I'm talking to someone and they ask me to produce my DD214 to prove I was in I'm pretty much going to tell them to KMA. I don't really care that much if someone believes me or not. And I may have photos someplace, but again, I'm really not going to put out any real effort to prove my status. And anyone who does care that much is too insecure to have ever been in.

True ture. If you were to ask me to show my dd214 I'd say the same, KMA, all of it too!

I absolutely detest people that BS about prior service. Even worse are the people who claim to have served in special forces of any type, Rangers, Seals and the like. I have a friend that put Seal Team 6 stickers on a bunch of his stuff. This doush bag walks around all BDU's and Oakley spec ops boots. I ripped the Seal Team sticker he put on his car off. I screamed at him one time about it. How disrespectful his behaviors are, Disrespectful to those that had given their lives so he could perpetuate his fantasy world. God just thinking about it now makes me wanna drive over to his house and punch him sqaure in the nose.

People who behave in this manner should be called out to shame in front of everyone. Make an example of them. Every time I see my friend with his wanna-be get up on I call him out on it. He doesnt come around much anymore and thats fine with me. D-bag.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
You have to jump through some hoops to get a copy of your dd214. I'm requesting mine now as a substitute for gun training that is required for my ccw permit. I too wouldn't go to any trouble to prove it to anyone, but then I'm not posing either.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:
True ture. If you were to ask me to show my dd214 I'd say the same, KMA, all of it too!

I absolutely detest people that BS about prior service. Even worse are the people who claim to have served in special forces of any type, Rangers, Seals and the like. I have a friend that put Seal Team 6 stickers on a bunch of his stuff. This doush bag walks around all BDU's and Oakley spec ops boots. I ripped the Seal Team sticker he put on his car off. I screamed at him one time about it. How disrespectful his behaviors are, Disrespectful to those that had given their lives so he could perpetuate his fantasy world. God just thinking about it now makes me wanna drive over to his house and punch him sqaure in the nose.

People who behave in this manner should be called out to shame in front of everyone. Make an example of them. Every time I see my friend with his wanna-be get up on I call him out on it. He doesnt come around much anymore and thats fine with me. D-bag.

Funny thing, I was in subs which is a fairly elite service, and I never did walk around making a production of it because really to me, I was so accustomed to it that it just didn't seem like that big of a deal, still doesn't really. About as far as it goes is I have my dolphins, patrol pin, and sea service ribbon stuck to the outside of a soft computer case that I almost never carry anywhere. So maybe that's the real giveaway- if someone makes a production of their "service" then they probably never actually did any.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Ha I got it! Ask the person where they went to MEPs at! That'll get em everytime.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Does it really matter? I mean you'll get to rub it in his face if he is lying but otherwise...?

I don't keep friends that I think are liars. Problem solved.

------------------
You're suspect.

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Man, I had to look that up, I don't know they were called that when I enlisted. If they were, I sure didn't remember the acronym. But yeah, that's a good question.

I think it was called a military induction center when I joined back in the stone ages.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 03-07-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive still got my DD214. When I was discharged they told me to be sure to keep it. VA hospital gave me extra copies. Its more valuable than your birth certificate if you served. I keep everything. I still have owners manuals and reciepts for video recorders I bought 25 years ago. Ive got so many recorders, i sometimes have to look in the owners manual to set something.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Why don't you just get new friends if you feel this strongly about the subject? Seriously, I think a lot of people here need to evaluate the company they keep.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I don't keep friends that I think are liars. Problem solved.

This is true, if he is a liar don't keep him as a friend. I think if I didn't trust him enough to believe what he says in the first place he already would be off the friend list.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Why don't you just get new friends if you feel this strongly about the subject? Seriously, I think a lot of people here need to evaluate the company they keep.

Thats basically whats happend, like I've said the D-bag doesnt come around much anymore. He has been ostricized by his lies. Thanks for the life advice tho. I have no idea how i made it this far in my life with out it!

PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Non Active military that never retired nowadays have only the dd214 to prove they were in for things like veterans discounts at stores etc. When you out-doc, they take your military ID,and base car-window stickers .. at least that was the policy when I out-docced. I have my dd214, and use it all the time for verterans discounts and associatons . At least I get something back out of uncle sam, he certainly took plenty from me while I was in.

It does have a lot of personal information on it, so unless I was only flashing it for veteran discount purposes etc. or showing it to a real friend, I as well would tell someone to kiss off if they wanted to 'examine it'.

I also have a whole folder full of documentation from all sorts of training classes, ship damage control (I was in the navy), pictures in uniform, I can tell you where I was stationed, what my ship was *Type, name, and designation) who my CO was on that ship during my enlistment etc. without skipping a beat. Does he have any military buddies? I don't know anyone who was in that does not at least keep in contact with someone.. even the lamest nerd that was on ship had friedns. (Yup, I had 3..)

Yeah ask him about his general orders (like, what's #6?) and see if he even knows what that means. I dont really remember my general orders any more (Thank God) but I would probably say it has to do with not leaving my post until properly relieved. Is that right? (Googling...) Heck yeah! Order of the Sentry! I gues my brain is not completely mush yet.

Of course, none of this proves he was a sniper, but it would prove he was in the service.

Still..If you think he's lying, just stop hanging out with him. Sounds like an easy problem to solve, and you don't sound like you are too good of friends for it to really bother you.

my 2 cents..

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 03-07-2012).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
I am related to a retired Ranger, and he takes great pains to NOT tell anyone about his military service/status.

I am much the same way. I don't mention it if I can keep from it. Of course all my friends already know about my service, as they were in the same time I was in. lol

Of course they are retired now and im still....in. lol

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-07-2012 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Just ignore them?
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
I have read all of the above, and iLOL.

yes all are good bits of advice.

I just want to know for my own LOLing at them.

and I agree that its usually the people that have been in the millitary that dont brag about it.

And I agree that ones that do brag need to at least be shamed in the public eye if nothing else for posing.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I'm a little confused... what psychiatric evaluation is this? I've never been in the armed forces, but I'd think that they'd probably give you a psyche before they'd enter you into the program all together. I mean, what exactly is the sniper program? Does it just mean that you were better at qualifying than all the other guys? Are the "snipers" actually called snipers, or would he be apart of a different program. To me it sounds kind of BS.

It would seem to me that if you were going to be a sniper, you'd probably start off as a normal soldier. It's not like you say... "hey, I want to be a sniper..." and then they say... OK!

I'd guess you'd already be enlisted, and then you'd qualify with everyone else, and then if you do exceptionally well at qualifying, then they might ask you... or maybe if there's a need they would send you off to additional training....?

I dunno... sounds kind of silly. I mean, what would be the purpose of doing a psychiatric evaluation AFTER you had gone through all the training. I know the government likes to waste money, but that sounds REALLY dumb....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I'm a little confused... what psychiatric evaluation is this? I've never been in the armed forces, but I'd think that they'd probably give you a psyche before they'd enter you into the program all together. I mean, what exactly is the sniper program? Does it just mean that you were better at qualifying than all the other guys? Are the "snipers" actually called snipers, or would he be apart of a different program. To me it sounds kind of BS.

It would seem to me that if you were going to be a sniper, you'd probably start off as a normal soldier. It's not like you say... "hey, I want to be a sniper..." and then they say... OK!

I'd guess you'd already be enlisted, and then you'd qualify with everyone else, and then if you do exceptionally well at qualifying, then they might ask you... or maybe if there's a need they would send you off to additional training....?

I dunno... sounds kind of silly. I mean, what would be the purpose of doing a psychiatric evaluation AFTER you had gone through all the training. I know the government likes to waste money, but that sounds REALLY dumb....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

when I was getting ready to enlist I talked to all of the recruiters navy wanted me to be a "nuclear engineer" army wanted me to be "psy-ops" And the Marines told me its all service time. the army would have sent me to sniper school out of boot camp, unlike the marines where Id have to serve at least 2 years as a requirement. and the same with the navy.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
If some posts in this thread are true, I was supprised that a civillain cannot check military enrollment?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

If some posts in this thread are true, I was supprised that a civillain cannot check military enrollment?

I have no idea to the contrary, but I would guess that it's not TOO difficult, but what would the general public have need for in determining who is and who isn't in the military? I would figure that for the safety of the service member's family... it would be to his benefit that it not be public knowledge. Especially after the Vietnam war... there are still many people in this country who will go out of their way to cause harm to someone or their family because they are against the war, or the military establishment in general.

Just totally guessing here though...
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2012 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I would like to look at my families military records down through the years, assingments, stations, etc.
If you have family who never got a chance or desire to tell their story, how would you ever find those parts of your family history.
After a certain time, shouldn't it be in the public domain?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 03-11-2012).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

I would like to look at my families military records down through the years, assingments, stations, etc.
If you have family who never got a chance or desire to tell their story, how would you ever find those parts of your family history.

Oh, I think it is actually. I have a lot of family with military history, and I've been to a few websites. I can't remember the links right now, but they DO exist. I just don't /personally/ know of any for people who are active enlistment.

Todd
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

I would, too. My Grandfather served in Korea, and doesn't like to talk about it, I know he saw some rough stuff, and was promoted to Supply Sergeant before he got out, and has quite a few medals my Aunt framed in a box for him. All I know is he has basic training at Fort Knox, and during the war at some point visited Japan.

I have some buddies who are serving right now, and I'd love to see where they're currently at. Last I heard from my old room-mate a few months ago, he was training in Georgia.
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Ask him his class number (example 2 – 2004) there is no Army Ranger alive that does not know their class number! If he can give you a class number look up the picture they are all there way back to 1950.
https://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/gallery.html

Ask him his SQI (Special Qualification Identifiers)
G- Ranger
V - Ranger Parachutist
Any Ranger will know this!!!

Ask him to recite the Ranger Creed… there is no Army Ranger alive that can not recite the Ranger Creed or at least most of it!!!
The Creed
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of my Ranger Regiment.
Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.
Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained soldier? My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.
Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country? I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.
Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

"Army Sniper" is not an MOS. It is an ASI (Additional Skill Identifier). You're awarded the B4 ASI if you complete and pass the course. There is one active duty sniper school at Fort Benning Georgia which is 5 weeks long. Also the National Guard runs a school at Camp Robinson Arkansas which is also 5 weeks long. The only other exceptions are war time sniper schools offered in country (Iraq, Afghanistan). These are mini sniper schools 3 weeks in length. You will not receive the B4 ASI for these schools but will be utilizes as a unit sniper.

To enter sniper school you must meet the following qualifications: Must be MOS 11B, 11M, 19D, or CMF 18 and E-3 through E-7 and it is a requirement that you have the commanders’ recommendation. You also have to have a consistent 75% on your APFT and consistent experts in weapons quals, a psychological evaluations and 100 GT score, vision correctable to 20/20 and your nose has to be squeaky clean (i.e., no getting into trouble).

Note: psychological evaluation is complete before entering training… so your friend is full of sh*t!!!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I would, too. My Grandfather served in Korea, and doesn't like to talk about it, I know he saw some rough stuff, and was promoted to Supply Sergeant before he got out, and has quite a few medals my Aunt framed in a box for him. All I know is he has basic training at Fort Knox, and during the war at some point visited Japan.

Very nasty stuff in Korea. I visited several areas of conflict (south of the DMZ, of course) when I was stationed there and saw/read/heard about what happened.
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
At one time there was a government site that would give name, branch, home town and MOS. No serial numbers. Not much info at all. Apparently even this is no longer on line. Seems there were privacy issues. I recall using it back in 96- 97. It helped me locate some folks by having their full name.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Note: psychological evaluation is complete before entering training… so your friend is full of sh*t!!!

I knew it didn't make sense... that's what I thought!!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2012 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Very nasty stuff in Korea.

Yes, my Dad was at the Chosin Reservoir.

The Battle of Chosin Reservoir, was a decisive battle in the Korean War. Shortly after the People's Republic of China entered the conflict, the People's Volunteer Army 9th Army infiltrated the northeastern part of North Korea and surprised the US X Corps at the Chosin Reservoir area. A brutal 17 day battle in freezing weather soon followed. In the period between 27 November and 13 December 1950, 30,000 United Nations (UN) troops (nicknamed "The Chosin Few") under the command of Major General Edward Almond were encircled by approximately 67,000 Chinese troops under the command of Song Shi-Lun. Although Chinese troops managed to surround and outnumber the UN forces, the UN forces broke out of the encirclement while inflicting crippling losses on the Chinese.

But I know nothing about his Fathers service, or the Father before him.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Ask if they got their three year good conduct award (GCM are awarded every 4 years).

Did that change? I got one after 3 years but that was in '64.

stumpkin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinDirect Link to This Post
No real easy way to tell a person is a veteran or not, or to know if they are telling you the truth. Most vets will talk little about their service unless it comes up in conversation. Even then the conversation is usually short and to point in a non-boastful way.

Oddly I talk proudly of my father’s service and he speaks highly of mine. Yet neither one of us will talk much about our own service. We were both proud to have served. He was EOD during the Korean conflict, I was a deep-sea construction diver most of my career. We were both in highly specialized units.

In my father’s case the opposite of boasting happened. A few years back a Korean Medal was authorized for our Korean War Vets. I wanted be sure my father received his so I copied his DD-214 and applied for him. What I discovered on his DD-214 was that he never received the other Medals he was awarded. So I took his DD-214 to the closest base and with a little help from the folks in the uniform shop we ordered up all off his awards and medals, and then had them mounted in a shadow box. I gave it to him on his 75th birthday. Turns out he was a highly awarded combat veteran. And he's proud of my service! Why I ask myself? He is the decorated combat veteran! In my whole career I never saw combat (came close twice, but let’s face it that counts for nothing). That tells me that most of our heroes are humble not boastful. THANK YOU DAD!

Once again about the only way to know if its B.S. or fact is the DD-214. Not many are going to carry a copy of that around.

About the Good Conduct Award: I might be off, how I remenber it: USN every 4 years, other branches every 3 years.

------------------
1986 Red s/e 2m6 5-sp, & 2006 Red Solstice 5-sp

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I got a friend at work that loves to talk about playing in the sand box. He talks about being blown out of a building by a IED and will tell the story to anyone who asks. I didnt believe him at first but then I met his wife and she pretty much verified the whole entire thing. Who knows, maybe this guy is telling the truth but is just a douchebag.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock