Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. (Page 26)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 64 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64 
Previous Page | Next Page
Japan's nuke problems--what's happening?--conflicting reports. by maryjane
Started on: 03-12-2011 09:14 AM
Replies: 2526
Last post by: 8Ball on 10-25-2013 05:04 PM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

.... Phonedawgz, did in fact claim to have worked at a nuclear power plant in the past for 6 months, and claimed he left the job, because it was boring. I believe the reason he is playing industry shill, is he stated he regrets leaving the industry and hopes to return to it...

Go for it Dennis. Tell me where I said I stated I "regret(s) leaving the industry and hope(s) to return to it'

...pro down play so I can get another job in the field.

Your wacko for even thinking that somehow my posts on this forum would give me any favor for getting a job in the industry. I am not looking for a job in the field. You have made this up and it is not true.

It's as simple as that.

While you're at it, look in the past 20+ pages and see if you can find any posts that aligns yourself with 'being pro nuclear power".

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-08-2011).]

IP: Logged
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Your wacko for even thinking that somehow my posts on this forum would give me any favor for getting a job in the industry. I am not looking for a job in the field. You have made this up and it is not true.

It's as simple as that.

While you're at it, look in the past 20+ pages and see if you can find any posts that aligns yourself with 'being pro nuclear power".

I pretty sure when someone states that it was a mistake leaving, shows regret and a desire to return. I stated something along the lines of you didn't want people to pull a germany over here and close our nuclear power plants. Outside of sarcasm about TEPCO paying you for PR, I never said you were being rewarded by the nuclear power industry.

Since we are playing the show me game, show me where I stated all nuclear plants should be shut down and all nuclear weapons destroyed?

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 08-08-2011).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

I pretty sure when someone states that it was a mistake leaving, shows regret and a desire to return. ...

Wrong again Dennis_6

I was in training 20 years ago. I don't want to go back and go into an entry level training job 20 years later. I do at this time wish I would have stayed in the training position and moved forward. There is a difference.

I see why you have such a hard time with other logical problems. You make conclusions that are without basis.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, try to avoid letting phonedawgz troll you into an argument, it's what he lives for and it's all he does in this thread. He contributes nothing of value here.

Meanwhile, have you heard anything about the bodies and burial/cremations? I remember that thousands of bodies were in the contamination zones and couldn't be recovered and cremated, so critical to the faiths of most Japanese, because they were too highly contaminated with radiation and/or radionuclides. I'm guessing by now that the flesh has rotted away and been eaten by carrion animals as well as abandoned pet dogs and cats (which are now in turn contaminated? That's another mystery), so theoretically bones would be easier to recover and dispose of.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well here is a July 4 story of recovery of bodies in the exclusion zone. Looks like they dropped the idea that the bodies were too contaminated to retrieve. If the people had died before the nuclear accident, the bodies would be basically at worst contaminated with 'radioactive dust'.

The idea that the bodies were too contaminated to retrieve seemed pretty far fetched right from the start.

I do find it interesting that the author used the phrase "racing today to find thousands of missing bodies before they decompose". The bodies were there decomposing for a month already by that time.

JAPANESE police are racing today to find thousands of missing bodies before they decompose along a stretch of tsunami-pummeled coast that has been largely off-limits because of a radiation-leaking nuclear plant.
Nearly a month after a 9.0-earthquake generated the tsunami along Japan’s northeastern coast, more than 14,700 people are still missing. Many of those may have been washed out to sea and will never be found.
In the days just after the March 11 disaster, searchers gingerly picked through mountains of tangled debris, hoping to find survivors. Heavier machinery has since been called in, but unpredictable tides of radiation from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex have slowed progress and often forced authorities to abandon the search, especially within a 12-mile (20km) evacuation zone around the plant.
Officials now say there’s not much time left to find and identify the dead, and are ramping up those efforts. Ryoichi Tsunoda, a police spokesman in Fukushima prefecture, where the plant is located, said:
We have to find bodies now as they are decomposing. This is a race against time and against the threat of nuclear radiation.
Up to 25,000 people are believed to have been killed, of which 12,500 have been confirmed.There is expected to be some overlap in the dead and missing tolls because not all of the bodies have been identified.
Recent progress at the plant — which the tsunami flooded — appears to have slowed the release of radiation. Early yesterday, technicians there plugged a crack that had been gushing contaminated water into the Pacific. Radiation levels in waters off the coast fell dramatically later in the day, though contaminated water continues to pool throughout the complex, often thwarting work there.

Oh and the idea that I haven't contributed to this thread. Go back and read my posts. You guys had no clue when this thing started. Like the 'cement cap' thread. Or that people didn't understand the difference between Fukushima's and Chernobyl's technologies.

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Report: Japan’s Fukushima reactor possibly melted twice
8 August 2011 745 views One Comment BY: BNO News

TOKYO (BNO NEWS) -- According to a study, the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant might have suffered a second nuclear meltdown, Kyodo news agency reported Monday.

According to the study, which was conducted by nuclear safety expert Fumiya Tanabe, fuel inside one of the plant's nuclear reactors might have breached the bottom of a pressure vessel after melting again.

The fuel is believed to have been kept cool at the bottom of the pressure vessel since a nuclear meltdown was confirmed, but the cooling method would need further review if most of the fuel at the No. 3 reactor has fallen into the containment vessel underneath the reactor, the study said.

The Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco), which operates the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, had previously confirmed that nuclear meltdowns were assumed in the cores of the Nos. 1 and 3 reactors. Tepco had been keeping the reactors cooled and solidified at the bottom of each reactor pressure vessel by injecting water.

Last Thursday, Vice Minister for Economy, Trade, and Industry Kazuo Matsunaga, Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency chief Nobuaki Terasaka, and Agency for Natural Resources and Energy chief Tetsuhiro Hosono were sacked, as the government of Japan has been strongly criticized due to the handling of the electricity shortage, as well as the slow response into resolving issues directly related with the nuclear crisis.

Japanese Interior Minister Banri Kaieda, meanwhile, had previously stated that he would resign as a way to take responsibility of the situation. His ministry is in charge of energy policy, but despite his announcement, Kaieda has not been clear of when he would step down.

Japan's nuclear crisis began since the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant was severely damaged on March 11 when a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and a subsequent tsunami devastated the country. The disaster disabled the cooling systems of the plant, and radioactive elements leaked into the sea and were later found in water, air and food products in some parts of Japan. Subsequent power shortages throughout the country have further complicated recovery efforts.

At least 23,482 people were killed, while 8,069 people remain missing. There are still more than 88,000 people who are staying in shelters in 21 prefectures around Japan.

According to the Japan Research Institute, the country's reconstruction efforts will cost between 14 trillion yen ($174.58 billion) and 18 trillion yen ($224.46 billion) in the upcoming 10 years, including 9.1 trillion yen ($113.47 billion) this year alone. Japan has already allocated a 4 trillion yen ($48.89 billion) emergency budget to finance the early phase of reconstruction efforts following the disaster.

On June 23, the government also announced a budget of 2 trillion yen ($24.8 billion) to be distributed to cover the massive compensation claims since the beginning of the disaster being faced by Tepco, which operates the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

(Copyright 2011 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)
http://channel6newsonline.c...ssibly-melted-twice/
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Monday, Aug. 8, 2011

Stop claiming food is safe, ministry told
Kyodo

Foreign Minister Takeaki Matsumoto has committed an about-face on policy by telling his ministry to refrain from vouching for the safety of Japanese food.

The ministry stance changed after radiation-tainted beef was found to have been sold to consumers nationwide, sources said.

The contaminated meat is coming from cattle that were fed rice straw contaminated with cesium isotopes ejected by the disaster-crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

To handle surging concerns abroad about the food supply, the Foreign Ministry told embassies and other diplomatic offices overseas to brief local authorities, importers and media organizations on measures the government is taking to prevent contaminated food from making it into public distribution channels.

The ministry has also asked its diplomatic offices to repeat its stance of disclosing safety information in a timely manner.

On July 8, Matsumoto said that he wanted to dispel food safety concerns by explaining what the government is doing to prevent tainted food from making it into the food supply.

But several countries have since asked about the beef scare after several cattle suspected of being fed tainted straw were found to have been slaughtered and their beef shipped to market months ago to stores and restaurants.
http://search.japantimes.co...in/nn20110808x1.html
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Nice story

This article implies that "At least 23,482 people were killed, while 8,069 people remain missing" because of the nuclear accident.

This is a classic line also "Tepco had been keeping the reactors cooled and solidified at the bottom of each reactor pressure vessel by injecting water"

Report: Japan’s Fukushima reactor possibly melted twice
8 August 2011 745 views One Comment BY: BNO News

TOKYO (BNO NEWS) -- According to a study, the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant might have suffered a second nuclear meltdown, Kyodo news agency reported Monday.

According to the study, which was conducted by nuclear safety expert Fumiya Tanabe, fuel inside one of the plant's nuclear reactors might have breached the bottom of a pressure vessel after melting again.

The fuel is believed to have been kept cool at the bottom of the pressure vessel since a nuclear meltdown was confirmed, but the cooling method would need further review if most of the fuel at the No. 3 reactor has fallen into the containment vessel underneath the reactor, the study said.

The Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco), which operates the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, had previously confirmed that nuclear meltdowns were assumed in the cores of the Nos. 1 and 3 reactors. Tepco had been keeping the reactors cooled and solidified at the bottom of each reactor pressure vessel by injecting water.

Last Thursday, Vice Minister for Economy, Trade, and Industry Kazuo Matsunaga, Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency chief Nobuaki Terasaka, and Agency for Natural Resources and Energy chief Tetsuhiro Hosono were sacked, as the government of Japan has been strongly criticized due to the handling of the electricity shortage, as well as the slow response into resolving issues directly related with the nuclear crisis.

Japanese Interior Minister Banri Kaieda, meanwhile, had previously stated that he would resign as a way to take responsibility of the situation. His ministry is in charge of energy policy, but despite his announcement, Kaieda has not been clear of when he would step down.

Japan's nuclear crisis began since the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant was severely damaged on March 11 when a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and a subsequent tsunami devastated the country. The disaster disabled the cooling systems of the plant, and radioactive elements leaked into the sea and were later found in water, air and food products in some parts of Japan. Subsequent power shortages throughout the country have further complicated recovery efforts.

At least 23,482 people were killed, while 8,069 people remain missing. There are still more than 88,000 people who are staying in shelters in 21 prefectures around Japan.

According to the Japan Research Institute, the country's reconstruction efforts will cost between 14 trillion yen ($174.58 billion) and 18 trillion yen ($224.46 billion) in the upcoming 10 years, including 9.1 trillion yen ($113.47 billion) this year alone. Japan has already allocated a 4 trillion yen ($48.89 billion) emergency budget to finance the early phase of reconstruction efforts following the disaster.

On June 23, the government also announced a budget of 2 trillion yen ($24.8 billion) to be distributed to cover the massive compensation claims since the beginning of the disaster being faced by Tepco, which operates the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

(Copyright 2011 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)
http://channel6newsonline.c...ssibly-melted-twice/

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
By NORIMITSU ONISHI and MARTIN FACKLER
Published: August 8, 2011

FUKUSHIMA, Japan — The day after a giant tsunami set off the continuing disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, thousands of residents at the nearby town of Namie gathered to evacuate.

Given no guidance from Tokyo, town officials led the residents north, believing that winter winds would be blowing south and carrying away any radioactive emissions. For three nights, while hydrogen explosions at four of the reactors spewed radiation into the air, they stayed in a district called Tsushima where the children played outside and some parents used water from a mountain stream to prepare rice.

The winds, in fact, had been blowing directly toward Tsushima — and town officials would learn two months later that a government computer system designed to predict the spread of radioactive releases had been showing just that.

But the forecasts were left unpublicized by bureaucrats in Tokyo, operating in a culture that sought to avoid responsibility and, above all, criticism. Japan’s political leaders at first did not know about the system and later played down the data, apparently fearful of having to significantly enlarge the evacuation zone — and acknowledge the accident’s severity.

“From the 12th to the 15th we were in a location with one of the highest levels of radiation,” said Tamotsu Baba, the mayor of Namie, which is about five miles from the nuclear plant. He and thousands from Namie now live in temporary housing in another town, Nihonmatsu. “We are extremely worried about internal exposure to radiation.”

The withholding of information, he said, was akin to “murder.”

In interviews and public statements, some current and former government officials have admitted that Japanese authorities engaged in a pattern of withholding damaging information and denying facts of the nuclear disaster — in order, some of them said, to limit the size of costly and disruptive evacuations in land-scarce Japan and to avoid public questioning of the politically powerful nuclear industry. As the nuclear plant continues to release radiation, some of which has slipped into the nation’s food supply, public anger is growing at what many here see as an official campaign to play down the scope of the accident and the potential health risks.

Seiki Soramoto, a lawmaker and former nuclear engineer to whom Prime Minister Naoto Kan turned for advice during the crisis, blamed the government for withholding forecasts from the computer system, known as the System for Prediction of Environmental Emergency Dose Information, or Speedi.

“In the end, it was the prime minister’s office that hid the Speedi data,” he said. “Because they didn’t have the knowledge to know what the data meant, and thus they did not know what to say to the public, they thought only of their own safety, and decided it was easier just not to announce it.”

In an interview, Goshi Hosono, the minister in charge of the nuclear crisis, dismissed accusations that political considerations had delayed the release of the early Speedi data. He said that they were not disclosed because they were incomplete and inaccurate, and that he was presented with the data for the first time only on March 23.

“And on that day, we made them public,” said Mr. Hosono, who was one of the prime minister’s closest advisers in the early days of the crisis before being named nuclear disaster minister. “As for before that, I myself am not sure. In the days before that, which were a matter of life and death for Japan as a nation, I wasn’t taking part in what was happening with Speedi.”

The computer forecasts were among many pieces of information the authorities initially withheld from the public.

Meltdowns at three of Fukushima Daiichi’s six reactors went officially unacknowledged for months. In one of the most damning admissions, nuclear regulators said in early June that inspectors had found tellurium 132, which experts call telltale evidence of reactor meltdowns, a day after the tsunami — but did not tell the public for nearly three months. For months after the disaster, the government flip-flopped on the level of radiation permissible on school grounds, causing continuing confusion and anguish about the safety of schoolchildren here in Fukushima.

Too Late

The timing of many admissions — coming around late May and early June, when inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency visited Japan and before Japan was scheduled to deliver a report on the accident at an I.A.E.A. conference — suggested to critics that Japan’s nuclear establishment was coming clean only because it could no longer hide the scope of the accident. On July 4, the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, a group of nuclear scholars and industry executives, said, “It is extremely regrettable that this sort of important information was not released to the public until three months after the fact, and only then in materials for a conference overseas.”

The group added that the authorities had yet to disclose information like the water level and temperature inside reactor pressure vessels that would yield a fuller picture of the damage. Other experts have said the government and Tokyo Electric Power Company, known as Tepco, have yet to reveal plant data that could shed light on whether the reactors’ cooling systems were actually knocked out solely by the 45-foot-tall tsunami, as officials have maintained, or whether damage from the earthquake also played a role, a finding that could raise doubts about the safety of other nuclear plants in a nation as seismically active as Japan.

Government officials insist that they did not knowingly imperil the public.

“As a principle, the government has never acted in such a way as to sacrifice the public’s health or safety,” said Mr. Hosono, the nuclear disaster minister.

Here in the prefecture’s capital and elsewhere, workers are removing the surface soil from schoolyards contaminated with radioactive particles from the nuclear plant. Tens of thousands of children are being kept inside school buildings this hot summer, where some wear masks even though the windows are kept shut. Many will soon be wearing individual dosimeters to track their exposure to radiation.

At Elementary School No. 4 here, sixth graders were recently playing shogi and go, traditional board games, inside. Nao Miyabashi, 11, whose family fled here from Namie, said she was afraid of radiation. She tried not to get caught in the rain. She gargled and washed her hands as soon as she got home.

“I want to play outside,” she said.

About 45 percent of 1,080 children in three Fukushima communities surveyed in late March tested positive for thyroid exposure to radiation, according to a recent announcement by the government, which added that the levels were too low to warrant further examination. Many experts both in and outside Japan are questioning the government’s assessment, pointing out that in Chernobyl, most of those who went on to suffer from thyroid cancer were children living near that plant at the time of the accident.

Critics inside and outside the Kan administration argue that some of the exposure could have been prevented if officials had released the data sooner.

On the evening of March 15, Mr. Kan called Mr. Soramoto, who used to design nuclear plants for Toshiba, to ask for his help in managing the escalating crisis. Mr. Soramoto formed an impromptu advisory group, which included his former professor at the University of Tokyo, Toshiso Kosako, a top Japanese expert on radiation measurement.

Mr. Kosako, who studied the Soviet response to the Chernobyl crisis, said he was stunned at how little the leaders in the prime minister’s office knew about the resources available to them. He quickly advised the chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, to use Speedi, which used measurements of radioactive releases, as well as weather and topographical data, to predict where radioactive materials could travel after being released into the atmosphere.

Speedi had been designed in the 1980s to make forecasts of radiation dispersal that, according to the prime minister’s office’s own nuclear disaster manuals, were supposed to be made available at least to local officials and rescue workers in order to guide evacuees away from radioactive plumes.

And indeed, Speedi had been churning out maps and other data hourly since the first hours after the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami. But the Education Ministry had not provided the data to the prime minister’s office because, it said, the information was incomplete. The tsunami had knocked out sensors at the plant: without measurements of how much radiation was actually being released by the plant, they said, it was impossible to measure how far the radioactive plume was stretching.

“Without knowing the strength of the releases, there was no way we could take responsibility if evacuations were ordered,” said Keiji Miyamoto of the Education Ministry’s nuclear safety division, which administers Speedi.

The government had initially resorted to drawing rings around the plant, evacuating everyone within a radius of first 1.9 miles, then 6.2 miles and then 12.4 miles, widening the rings as the scale of the disaster became clearer.

But even with incomplete data, Mr. Kosako said he urged the government to use Speedi by making educated guesses as to the levels of radiation release, which would have still yielded usable maps to guide evacuation plans. In fact, the ministry had done precisely that, running simulations on Speedi’s computers of radiation releases. Some of the maps clearly showed a plume of nuclear contamination extending to the northwest of the plant, beyond the areas that were initially evacuated.

However, Mr. Kosako said, the prime minister’s office refused to release the results even after it was made aware of Speedi, because officials there did not want to take responsibility for costly evacuations if their estimates were later called into question.

A wider evacuation zone would have meant uprooting hundreds of thousands of people and finding places for them to live in an already crowded country. Particularly in the early days after the earthquake, roads were blocked and trains were not running. These considerations made the government desperate to limit evacuations beyond the 80,000 people already moved from areas around the plant, as well as to avoid compensation payments to still more evacuees, according to current and former officials interviewed.

Mr. Kosako said the top advisers to the prime minister repeatedly ignored his frantic requests to make the Speedi maps public, and he resigned in April over fears that children were being exposed to dangerous radiation levels.

Some advisers to the prime minister argue that the system was not that useful in predicting the radiation plume’s direction. Shunsuke Kondo, who heads the Atomic Energy Commission, an advisory body in the Cabinet Office, said that the maps Speedi produced in the first days were inconsistent, and changed several times a day depending on wind direction.

“Why release something if it was not useful?” said Mr. Kondo, also a retired professor of nuclear engineering at the University of Tokyo. “Someone on the ground in Fukushima, looking at which way the wind was blowing, would have known just as much.”

Mr. Kosako and others, however, say the Speedi maps would have been extremely useful in the hands of someone who knew how to sort through the system’s reams of data. He said the Speedi readings were so complex, and some of the predictions of the spread of radiation contamination so alarming, that three separate government agencies — the Education Ministry and the two nuclear regulators, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency and Nuclear Safety Commission — passed the data to one another like a hot potato, with none of them wanting to accept responsibility for its results.

In interviews, officials at the ministry and the agency each pointed fingers, saying that the other agency was responsible for Speedi. The head of the commission declined to be interviewed.

Mr. Baba, the mayor of Namie, said that if the Speedi data had been made available sooner, townspeople would have naturally chosen to flee to safer areas. “But we didn’t have the information,” he said. “That’s frustrating.”

Evacuees now staying in temporary prefabricated homes in Nihonmatsu said that, believing they were safe in Tsushima, they took few precautions. Yoko Nozawa, 70, said that because of the lack of toilets, they resorted to pits in the ground, where doses of radiation were most likely higher.

“We were in the worst place, but didn’t know it,” Ms. Nozawa said. “Children were playing outside.”

A neighbor, Hiroyuki Oto, 31, said he was working at the plant for a Tepco subcontractor at the time of the earthquake and was now in temporary lodging with his wife and three young children, after also staying in Tsushima. “The effects might emerge only years from now,” he said of the exposure to radiation. “I’m worried about my kids.”

Seeds of Mistrust

Mr. Hosono, the minister charged with dealing with the nuclear crisis, has said that certain information, including the Speedi data, had been withheld for fear of “creating a panic.” In an interview, Mr. Hosono — who now holds nearly daily news conferences with Tepco officials and nuclear regulators — said that the government had “changed its thinking” and was trying to release information as fast as possible.

Critics, as well as the increasingly skeptical public, seem unconvinced. They compare the response to the Minamata case in the 1950s, a national scandal in which bureaucrats and industry officials colluded to protect economic growth by hiding the fact that a chemical factory was releasing mercury into Minamata Bay in western Japan. The mercury led to neurological illnesses in thousands of people living in the region and was captured in wrenching photographs of stricken victims.

“If they wanted to protect people, they had to release information immediately,” said Reiko Seki, a sociologist at Rikkyo University in Tokyo and an expert on the cover-up of the Minamata case. “Despite the experience with Minamata, they didn’t release Speedi.”

In Koriyama, a city about 40 miles west of the nuclear plant, a group of parents said they had stopped believing in government reassurances and recently did something unthinkable in a conservative, rural area: they sued. Though their suit seeks to force Koriyama to relocate their children to a safer area, their real aim is to challenge the nation’s handling of evacuations and the public health crisis.

After the nuclear disaster, the government raised the legal exposure limit to radiation from one to 20 millisieverts a year for people, including children — effectively allowing them to continue living in communities from which they would have been barred under the old standard. The limit was later scaled back to one millisievert per year, but applied only to children while they were inside school buildings.

The plaintiffs’ lawyer, Toshio Yanagihara, said the authorities were withholding information to deflect attention from the nuclear accident’s health consequences, which will become clear only years later.

“Because the effects don’t emerge immediately, they can claim later on that cigarettes or coffee caused the cancer,” he said.

The Japanese government is considering monitoring the long-term health of Fukushima residents and taking appropriate measures in the future, said Yasuhiro Sonoda, a lawmaker and parliamentary secretary of the Cabinet Office. The mayor of Koriyama, Masao Hara, said he did not believe that the government’s radiation standards were unsafe. He said it was “unrealistic” to evacuate the city’s 33,000 elementary and junior high school students.

But Koriyama went further than the government’s mandates, removing the surface soil from its schools before national directives and imposing tougher inspection standards than those set by the country’s education officials.

“The Japanese people, after all, have a high level of knowledge,” the mayor said, “so I think information should be disclosed correctly and quickly so that the people can make judgments, especially the people here in Fukushima.”

Norimitsu Onishi reported from Fukushima, and Martin Fackler from Tokyo. Ken Belson and Kantaro Suzuki contributed reporting from Tokyo.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011...?_r=2&pagewanted=all
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2011

Unit 3 MOX likely melted through
Kyodo

MOX fuel that was believed to have been kept cool at the bottom of one of the reactors at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant after its core melted is believed to have breached the vessel after melting again, a study said Monday.

The study by Fumiya Tanabe, an expert in nuclear safety, said most of reactor 3's mixed uranium-plutonium oxide fuel may have dribbled into the containment vessel underneath, and if so, the current method being used to cool the reactor will have to be rethought. This could force Tokyo Electric Power Co. to revise its schedule for containing the five-month-old disaster.

Tepco earlier said that the cores of reactors 1 to 3 are assumed to have suffered meltdowns, although the melted fuel was believed to have been kept at cool enough to solidify at the bottom of each pressure vessel after water was injected.

After analyzing data made public by Tepco, Tanabe argues it became difficult to inject coolant water into the pressure vessel after the pressure rose early March 21. He says the fuel at the bottom overheated and melted again over a four-day period.
http://search.japantimes.co...in/nn20110809a3.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Nice story

This article implies that "At least 23,482 people were killed, while 8,069 people remain missing" because of the nuclear accident.

This is a classic line also "Tepco had been keeping the reactors cooled and solidified at the bottom of each reactor pressure vessel by injecting water"

Nice of you to correct the Japanese grammar mistakes.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 08-09-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Revised version of a previous article with the same title , from a different Japanese source........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Study says nuclear fuel at Fukushima reactor possibly melted twice

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Fuel inside one of the reactors at the crippled nuclear complex in Fukushima Prefecture, which was believed to have been kept cool at the bottom of the pressure vessel after its core suffered a meltdown, has possibly breached the vessel after melting again at the bottom of the vessel, an expert's study showed Monday.

The study by Fumiya Tanabe, an expert in nuclear safety, said most of the fuel at the No. 3 reactor may have fallen into the containment vessel underneath, and if so, the current method used to cool the reactor would need reviewing, which could force the plant operator to revise its schedule to contain the five-month-old disaster.

The plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co. earlier said the Nos. 1 to 3 reactors' cores are assumed to have suffered meltdowns, although the melted fuel is believed to be kept cool and solidified at the bottom of each reactor pressure vessel after water was injected into the vessel as an emergency measure.

After analyzing data made public by the operator, known as TEPCO, Tanabe argues that it became difficult to inject coolant water into the reactor's pressure vessel after pressure rose inside it from the early hours of March 21.

He says the fuel at the bottom of the pressure vessel overheated and melted again during a four-day period from March 21 when only 11 to 32 percent of the water needed to cool the fuel was injected into the pressure vessel.

Elevated levels of radiation were actually detected for several days from March 21 in the Tohoku region, in which the Fukushima Daiichi power plant is located, and the nearby Kanto region, which includes Tokyo and its surrounding area.

"I presume that the fuel fell to the bottom of the containment vessel made of concrete and reacted violently with its cement, releasing large amounts of radioactive materials into the outside from the pressure vessel," said Tanabe.

TEPCO, meanwhile, casts doubt on Tanabe's assertion, saying most of the fuel probably remains inside the reactor's pressure vessel as temperature fluctuations were observed depending on the amount of water injected into it.

The No. 3 reactor was using plutonium-uranium mixed oxide fuel for so-called "pluthermal" power generation.

(Mainichi Japan) August 9, 2011
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnn...2g00m0dm010000c.html

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, can you shorten the line of ------------------- in your last post a bit? It makes the page turn into horizontal scrolling and much harder to read. Thanks!
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Here's a thought: TEPCO's been injecting millions of gallons of water into these reactors to cool the cores all these months. Where's the water going? Surely the reactors themselves aren't big enough to hold it all? Presumably some or most of it is vaporizing into (presumably irradiated and radioactive) steam, where's that steam going? For the reactors that seem to have water leaks, those millions of gallons of radioactive water are leaking out somewhere, but where is the water going? It's got to be going somewhere. I'm getting the impression that the amount of water by volume pumped into these reactors in the last five months has got to be an appreciable percentage of the volume of the entire facility.

Follow the water (and steam), as they say...

It seems to my plain ol' thoughts that where this contaminated stuff is going is sort of important to know...
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
I now see the folly of my ways, Japans pro-nuke industry says Plutonium is so safe you can drink it. I was wrong to
ever question the nuke industry, They all have a Phd so everything they say is gospel.. /sarcasm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, August 8, 2011
Three Plutonium Brothers of Japan: "They Are So Safe You Can Drink It" (Updated with Transcript)

(UPDATE: Transcript at the bottom for those who'd rather read.)

The original Japanese video was compiled by "sievert311":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppon_vEJLCQ&feature=channel_video_title

"sievert311" also has a Dr. Shunichi "100 millisievert is safe" Yamashita's video in three languages (English, Spanish, French). Check it out.

=================================================

Tokyo Brown Tabby's latest captioning is over the collection of video clips of three Japanese nuclear researchers, claiming safety for plutonium on the national TV. The first two appeared on TV after the March 11 accident to assure the public that there was nothing to worry about on plutonium, because it was so safe.

Three Plutonium Brothers are:

(1)Tadashi Narabayashi
Professor in Engineering
at Hokkaido University
(in TV Asahi "Sunday Scramble" on Apr. 3, 2011)

(2)Keiichi Nakagawa
Associate Professor in Radiology
The University of Tokyo Hospital
(in Nippon TV "news every" on Mar. 29, 2011)

(3)Hirotada Ohashi
Professor in System Innovation
University of Tokyo
(at a panel discussion in Saga Pref. on Dec. 25, 2005, regarding using MOX fuel at Genkai Nuke Plant)

Transcript of the video. Spread the word, make them accountable:

Tadashi Narabayashi
Professor in Engineering
Hokkaido University
(in TV Asahi "Sunday Scramble" on Apr. 3, 2011)

Well, half of adult males will die if they ingest 200 grams of salt. With only 200 gram. However, oral lethal dose of plutonium-239 is 32g. So, if you compare the toxicity, plutonium, when ingested, is not very different from salt. If you inhale it into your lungs, the lethal dose will be about 10 milligram. This is about the same as potassium cyanide. That sounds scary but the point is plutonium is no different from potassium cyanide. Some toxins like botulism bacillus that causes food
poisoning is much more dangerous. Dioxin is even more dangerous. So, unless you turn plutonium into powder and swallow it into your lungs....

MC: "No one would do that."

Besides, plutonium can be stopped by a single sheet of paper. Plutonium is made into nuclear fuels in facilities with good protective measures, so you don't need to worry.

Keiichi Nakagawa
Associate Professor in Radiology
University of Tokyo Hospital
(in Nippon TV "news every" on Mar. 29, 2011)

For example, plutonium will not be absorbed from the skin. Sometimes you ingest it through food, but in that case, most of it will go out in urine or stools. The problem occurs when you inhale it. Inhaling plutonium is said to increase the risk of lung cancer.

MC: "How will that affect our daily lives?"

Nothing.

MC: "Nothing?"

Nothing. To begin with, this material is very heavy. So, unlike iodine, it won't disperse in the air. Workers at the plant MAY be affected. So, I'd caution them to be careful. But I don't think the public should worry. For example, 50 years ago when I was born, the amount of plutonium was 1000 times higher than now.

MC: "Oh, why?"

Because of nuclear testing. So, even if the amount has now increased somewhat, in fact it's still much less than before. However, if it is released into the ocean through exhaust water, that's a problem. Once outside, plutonium hardly decreases.

MC: "It takes 24,000 years before it dicreases to half, doen't it?"

That's right. So, in that sense, plutonium is problematic. But then again, there will be no effect on the public. I think you can rest easy.

MC: "Let me summarize. Plutonium won't be absorbed from the skin. If it's ingested through food, it will go out of the body in urine. If it's inhaled, it may increase the risk of lung cancer. But since it's very heavy, we don't need to worry."

Hirotada Ohashi
Professor in System Innovation
University of Tokyo
(at a panel discussion in Saga Pref. on Dec. 25, 2005, regarding using
MOX fuel at Genkai Nuke Plant)

MC: Dr. Ohashi, please.

I'd like to point out two things. What happens in a [nuclear] accident depends entirely on your assumptions. If you assume everything would break and all the materials inside the reactor would be completely released into the environment, then we would get all kinds of result. But it's like discussing "what if a giant meteorite hit?" You are talking about the probability of an unlikely event.

You may think it's a big problem if an accident occurs at the reactor, but the nuclear experts do not think Containment Vessels will break. But the anti-nuclear people will say, "How do you know that?" Hydrogen explosions will not occur and I agree, but their argument is "how do you know that?"

So, right now in the safety review, we're assuming every technically possible situation. For example, such and such parts would break, plutonium would be released like this, then it would be stopped here...something like that. We set the hurdle high and still assume even the higher-level radiation would be released and make calculations.

This may be very difficult for you to understand this process, but we do. To figure out how far contamination might spread, we analyze based on our assumption of what could occur. However, the public interpret it as something that will occur. Or the anti-nuclear people take it in a wrong way and think we make such an assumption because it will happen. We can't have an argument with such people.

Another thing is the toxicity of plutonium. The toxicity of plutonium is very much exaggerated. Experts dealing with health damage by plutonium call this situation "social toxicity." In reality, there's nothing frightening about plutonium. If, in an extreme case, terrorists may take plutonium and throw it into a reservoir, which supplies the tap water. Then, will tens of thousands of people die? No, they won't. Not a single one will likely die. Plutonium is insoluble in water and will be
expelled quickly from the body even if it's ingested with water.

So, what Dr. Koide is saying is if we take plutonium particles one by one, cut open your lungs and bury the plutonium particles deep in the lungs, then that many people will die. A pure fantasy that would never happen.

He's basically saying we can't drive a car, we can't ride a train, because we don't know what will happen.

MC: "Thank you very much."

Pluto-kun (Little Plutonium Boy)
Mascot Character of Power Reactor and Nuclear Fuel Development Corporation (now Japan Atomic Energy Agency)

Let's imagine some bad guys have just thrown me into a reservoir. I'm not only hard to dissolve in water, but also hard to be absorbed from the stomach or intestines, and eventually I will be out of the body. So I can't actually kill people.

But it so often happens that bad guys take a small thing and turn it into a big lie to threaten people.

(caption)
See, we've been duped. Plutonium is not dangerous! We'd better ask these three to drink it up to prove it's not dangerous. Then we will feel safe, won't we? Please doctors, would you do it for us?
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/...s-of-japan-they.html

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Excessive radioactive cesium found in Fukushima fish: Greenpeace

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Fish caught at a port about 55 kilometers from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant contained radioactive cesium at levels exceeding an allowable limit, the environmental group Greenpeace said Tuesday.

The samples taken at Onahama port in Iwaki, Fukushima Prefecture, in late July, included a species of rockfish that measured 1,053 becquerels per kilogram. The reading, the highest among the samples, is well in excess of the government-set limit of 500 becquerels per kilogram, according to a study conducted by the environmental group.

The other samples, which were all rock trout, measured between 625 and 749 becquerels per kilogram, again exceeding the provisional limit.

The second such study of marine products was conducted over three days from July 22 in Iwaki and the town of Shinchi with cooperation of fishermen and those related to the fisheries industry in Fukushima. A total of 21 samples taken in the study were analyzed at a research institute in France, according to the group.

"There is no allowable limit for internal exposure that can conclusively be said not to pose any problems," Greenpeace said in a petition submitted to Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Tuesday, noting the need to keep consumption of the food containing elevated levels of radioactive materials to a minimum.

The petition also calls for tougher marine-product monitoring and for requiring businesses to display the level of radioactive materials contained in food products on the label.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnn...2g00m0dm108000c.html
8-P

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8-PSend a Private Message to 8-PDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiosity, have any of you guys picked up stock in TEPCO since the earthquake?
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8-P:

Just out of curiosity, have any of you guys picked up stock in TEPCO since the earthquake?

I think investing in the US dollar would be a sounder bet right now.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Do you think the steam is tritiated?

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Here's a thought: TEPCO's been injecting millions of gallons of water into these reactors to cool the cores all these months. Where's the water going? Surely the reactors themselves aren't big enough to hold it all? Presumably some or most of it is vaporizing into (presumably irradiated and radioactive) steam, where's that steam going? For the reactors that seem to have water leaks, those millions of gallons of radioactive water are leaking out somewhere, but where is the water going? It's got to be going somewhere. I'm getting the impression that the amount of water by volume pumped into these reactors in the last five months has got to be an appreciable percentage of the volume of the entire facility.

Follow the water (and steam), as they say...

It seems to my plain ol' thoughts that where this contaminated stuff is going is sort of important to know...

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Excessive radioactive cesium found in Fukushima fish: Greenpeace

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Fish caught at a port about 55 kilometers from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant contained radioactive cesium at levels exceeding an allowable limit, the environmental group Greenpeace said Tuesday.

The samples taken at Onahama port in Iwaki, Fukushima Prefecture, in late July, included a species of rockfish that measured 1,053 becquerels per kilogram. The reading, the highest among the samples, is well in excess of the government-set limit of 500 becquerels per kilogram, according to a study conducted by the environmental group.

The other samples, which were all rock trout, measured between 625 and 749 becquerels per kilogram, again exceeding the provisional limit.

The second such study of marine products was conducted over three days from July 22 in Iwaki and the town of Shinchi with cooperation of fishermen and those related to the fisheries industry in Fukushima. A total of 21 samples taken in the study were analyzed at a research institute in France, according to the group.

"There is no allowable limit for internal exposure that can conclusively be said not to pose any problems," Greenpeace said in a petition submitted to Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Tuesday, noting the need to keep consumption of the food containing elevated levels of radioactive materials to a minimum.

The petition also calls for tougher marine-product monitoring and for requiring businesses to display the level of radioactive materials contained in food products on the label.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnn...2g00m0dm108000c.html

Seems to me the best solution to the cesium contamination is to raise the safety standards to something higher, like maybe 1,000,000 becquerels/kg, that way the problem with contamination in the food chain will go away. And, that solution is far, far easier and cheaper to implement than the other option of checking every fish that's caught anywhere within 100km of Japan for cesium radionuclides.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Japan's nuclear agency hides radiation results

North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy

Updated August 11, 2011 19:10:43

Health specialists say the commission fears a negative public reaction to children's exposure to radiation from the crippled Fukushima plant.

Japan's nuclear watchdog has denied public access to the results of thyroid check-ups for more than 1,000 Fukushima children exposed to radiation.

Critics have accused Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission of denying the public accurate information about the crisis.

The commission had earlier uploaded the test results of more than 1,000 children who were checked to see if radioactive substances were accumulating in their thyroids.

But it has been revealed that earlier this month the commission removed the data from its website, citing privacy reasons.

But health specialists have slammed the decision, saying the commission fears a negative public reaction to children's exposure to radiation from the crippled Fukushima plant.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/...5502/?site=melbourne
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Nuclear safety: A dangerous veil of secrecy
Who can the public trust on nuclear safety - the anti-nuclear camp, the nuclear lobby or academics funded by the latter?
Dorothy Parvaz Last Modified: 11 Aug 2011 13:09
Email Article
Email
Print Article
Print
Share article
Send Feedback
Feedback
Anti-nuclear rallies marking the attack on Hiroshima don't distinguish between nuclear energy and weapons [Reuters]

There are battles being fought on two fronts in the five months since a massive earthquake and tsunami damaged the Daiichi nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan.

On one front, there is the fight to repair the plant, operated by the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) and to contain the extent of contamination caused by the damage. On the other is the public’s fight to extract information from the Japanese government, TEPCO and nuclear experts worldwide.

The latter battle has yielded serious official humiliation, resulting high-profile resignations, scandals, and promises of reform in Japan’s energy industry whereas the latter has so far resulted in a storm of anger and mistrust.

Even most academic nuclear experts, seen by many as the middle ground between the anti-nuclear activists and nuclear lobby itself, were reluctant to say what was happening: That in Fukushima, a community of farms, schools and fishing ports, was experiencing a full-tilt meltdown, and that, as Al Jazeera reported in June, that the accident had most likely caused more radioactive contamination than Chernobyl.
Read more of our coverage of Japan's disasters

As recently as early August, those seeking information on the real extent of the damage at the Daiichi plant and on the extent of radioactive contamination have mostly been reassured by the nuclear community that there’s no need to worry.

This is worrying because while both anti-nuclear activists and the nuclear lobby both have openly stated biases, academics and researchers are seen as the middle ground - a place to get accurate, unbiased information.

David Biello, the energy and climate editor at Scientific American Online, said that trying to get clear information on a scenario such as the Daiichi disaster is tough.

“There's a lot of secrecy that can surround nuclear power because some of the same processes can be involved in generating electricity that can also be involved in developing a weapon, so there's a kind of a veil of secrecy that gets dropped over this stuff, that can also obscure the truth” said Biello.

"So, for example in Fukushima, it was pretty apparent that a total meltdown had occurred just based on what they were experiencing there ... but nobody in a position of authority was willing to say that."

A high-stakes game

There’s no denying that there’s a lot of money - and power - riding on the nuclear industry.

The money trail can be tough to follow - Westinghouse, Duke Energy and the Nuclear Energy Institute (a "policy organisation" for the nuclear industry with 350 companies, including TEPCO, on its roster) did not respond to requests for information on funding research and chairs at universities.

But most of the funding for nuclear research does not come directly from the nuclear lobby, said M.V. Ramana, a researcher at Princeton University specialising in the nuclear industry and climate change. Most research is funded by governments, who get donations - from the lobby (via candidates, political parties or otherwise).

The Center for Responsive Politics - a non-partisan, non-profit elections watchdog group – noted that even as many lobbying groups slowed their spending the first quarter of the year, the Nuclear industry "appears to be ratcheting up its lobbying" increasing its multi-million dollar spending.

"In the United States, a lot of the money doesn’t come directly from the nuclear industry, but actually comes from the Department of Energy (DOE). And the DOE has a very close relationship with the industry, and they sort of try to advance the industry’s interest," said Ramana. Indeed, nuclear engineering falls under the "Major Areas of Research" with the DOE, which also has nuclear weapons under its rubric.

The DOE's 2012 fiscal year budge request to the US Congress for nuclear energy programmes was $755m.

"So those people who get funding from that….it’s not like they (researchers) want to lie, but there’s a certain amount of, shall we say, ideological commitment to nuclear power, as well as a certain amount of self-censorship." It comes down to worrying how their next application for funding might be viewed, he said.

Kathleen Sullivan, an anti-nuclear specialist and disarmament education consultant with the United Nations Office of Disarmament Affairs, said it's not surprising that research critical of the nuclear energy and weapons isn't coming out of universities and departments that participate in nuclear research and development.
Naoto Kan, Japan's prime minister, vowed to challenge the "myth of safety" of nuclear power [Reuters]

"It (the influence) of the nuclear lobby could vary from institution to institution," said Sullivan. "If you look at the history of nuclear weapons manufacturing in the United States, you can see that a lot of research was influenced perverted, construed in a certain direction."

Sullivan points to the DOE-managed Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory at the University of California in Berkley (where some of the research for the first atomic bomb was done) as an example of how intertwined academia and government-funded nuclear science are.

The situation really isn’t much different in the field of nuclear energy, said Sullivan.

"It's all part and parcel to itself."

Of course this isn’t unique to the nuclear industry – all energy lobbies fund research one way or another. But the consequences of self-censorship when it comes to the potential downsides of nuclear energy are far more dire, than, say, for wind power.

"For nuclear physics to proceed, the only people interested in funding it are pro-nuclear folks, whether that be industry or government," said Biello. "So if you're involved in that area you've already got a bias in favour of that technology … if you study hammers, suddenly hammers seem to be the solution to everything."

And should they find results unfavourable to the industry, Ramana said they would "dress it up in various ways by saying 'Oh, there’s a very slim chance of this, and here are some safety measure we recommend,' and then the industry will say, 'Yeah,yeah, we’re incorporating all of that.'"

Ramana, for the record, said that while he's against nuclear weapons, he doesn't have a moral position on nuclear power except to say that as a cost-benefit issue, the costs outweigh the benefits, and that "in that sense, expanding nuclear power isn't a good idea."

But generally speaking, he said that nuclear researchers have a stake in reassuring the pubic that nothing bad is happening.

"'How is this going to affect the future of nuclear power?'That’s the first thought that came into their heads," said Ramana, adding, "They basically want to ensure that people will keep constructing nuclear power plants."

For instance, a May report by MIT’s Center For Advanced Nuclear Energy Systems (where TEPCO funds a chair) points out that while the Daiichi disaster has resulted in "calls for cancellation of nuclear construction projects and reassessments of plant license extensions" which might "lead to a global slow-down of the nuclear enterprise," that "the lessons to be drawn from the Fukushima accident are different."

Among the report's closing thoughts are concerns that "Decision-making in the immediate aftermath of a major crisis is often influenced by emotion," and whether"an accident like Fukushima, which is so far beyond design basis, really warrant a major overhaul of current nuclear safety regulations and practises?"

"If so," wonder the authors, "When is safe safe enough? Where do we draw the line?"

The Japanese public, it seems, would like some answers to those very questions, albeit from a different perspective.

Kazuo Hizumi, a Tokyo-based human rights lawyer, is among those pushing for openness. He is also an editor at News for the People in Japan, a news site advocating for transparency from the government and from TEPCO.

With contradicting information and lack of clear coverage on safety and contamination issues, many have taken to measuring radiation levels with their own Geiger counters.

"They do not know how to do it," he said of some of the community groups and individuals who have taken to measure contamination levels in the air, soil and food.

"But mothers are worried about their children so much and Japanese government has to consider their worries."

A report released in July by Human Rights Now highlights the need for immediately accessible information on health and safety in areas where people have been affected by the disaster, including Fukushima, especially on the issues of contaminated food and evacuation plans.

A 'nuclear priesthood'

Biello describes the nuclear industry is a relatively small, exclusive club.

"The interplay between academia and also the military and industry is very tight. It's a small community...they have their little club and they can go about their business without anyone looking over their shoulder. "

This might explain how, as the Associated Press reported in June, that the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission was "working closely with the nuclear power industry to keep the nationalise ageing reactors operating within standards or simply failing to enforce them."

However, with this exclusivity comes a culture of secrecy – "a nuclear priesthood," said Biello, which makes it very difficult to parse out a straightforward answer in the very technical and highly politicised field.

"You have the proponents, who believe that it is the technological salvation for our problems, whether that's energy, poverty, climate change or whatever else. And then you have opponents who think that it's literally the worst thing that ever happened and should be immediately shut back up in a box and buried somewhere," said Biello, who includes "professors of nuclear engineering and Greenpeace activists" as passionate opponents on the nuclear subject.

In fact, one is hard pressed to find a media report quoting a nuclear scientist at any major university sounding the alarms on the risks of contamination in Fukushima.

Doing so has largely been the work of anti-nuclear activists (who have an admitted bias against the technology) and independent scientists employed by think tanks, few of whom responded to requests for interviews.

Even anthropologists who study the behaviour of those working in the nuclear power industry, refused to comment on the culture of secrecy that surrounds it.

The situation is much the same in Japan, said Hizumi, with "only a few who give people true information."

So, one's best bet, said Biello, is to try and "triangulate the truth" - to take "a dose" from anti-nuclear activists, another from pro-nuclear lobbyists and throw that in with a little bit of engineering and that'll get you closer to the truth.

"Take what everybody is saying with a grain of salt."

Nobody likes bad news

Since World War II, the process of secrecy – the readiness to invoke "national security" - has been a pillar of the nuclear establishment…that establishment, acting on the false assumption that "secrets" can be hidden from the curious and knowledgeable, has successfully insisted that there are answers which cannot be given and even questions which cannot be asked.

The net effect is to stifle debate about the fundamental of nuclear policy. Concerned citizens dare not ask certain questions, and many begin to feel that these matters which only a few initiated experts are entitled to discuss.

If the above sounds like a post-Fukushima statement, it is not. It was written by Howard Morland for the November 1979 issue of The Progressive magazine focusing on the hydrogen bomb as well as the risks of nuclear energy.

The US government - citing national security concerns - took the magazine to court in order to prevent the issue from being published, but ultimately relented during the appeals process when it became clear that the information The Progressive wanted to publish was already public knowledge and that pursuing the ban might put the court in the position of deeming the Atomic Energy Act as counter to First Amendment rights (freedom of speech) and therefore unconstitutional in its use of prior restraint to censor the press.
"Exciting Nuclear Land" is part of the Japanese school curriculum

But, of course, that's in the US, although a similar mechanism is at work in Japan, where a recently created task force aims to "cleanse" the media of reportage that casts an unfavourable light on the nuclear industry (they refer to this information as "inaccurate" or a result of "mischief."

The government has even go so far as to accept bids from companies that specialise in scouring the Internet to monitor the Internet for reports, Tweets and blogs that are critical of its handling of the Daiichi disaster, which has presented a unique challenge to the lobby there.

Hizumi said that the move to police online content on the disaster has upset the Japanese pubic and that the president of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations has openly criticised the policy.

"The public fully trusted the Japanese Government," said Hizumi. But the absence of "true information" has massively diminished that trust, as, he said, has the public's faith that TEPCO would be open about the potential dangers of a nuclear accident.

But Japan's government has a history of slow response to TEPCO's cover-ups. In 1989, that Kei Sugaoka, a nuclear energy at General Electric who inspected and repaired plants in Japan and elsewhere, said he spotted cracks in steam dryers and a "misplacement" or 180 degrees in one dryer unit. He noticed that the position of the dryer was later omitted from the inspection record's data sheet.

Sugaoka told a Japanese networkthat TEPCO had instructed him to "erase" the flaws, but he ultimately wrote a whistleblowing letter to METI, which resulted in the temporary 17 TEPCO reactors, including ones at the plant in Fukushima.

"I guess, just, you know, they're not being open to the public. They should be more open to the public," said Sugaoka.

"Everything is always kept a secret."

But the Japanese nuclear lobby has been quite active in shaping how people see nuclear energy. The country's Ministry of Education, together with the Natural Resources Ministry (of of two agencies under Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry - METI - overseeing nuclear policies) even provides schools with a nuclear energy information curriculum.

These worksheets - or education supplements - are used to inform children about the benefits of nuclear energy over fossil fuels.

Fukushima = Chernobyl?

Depending on who you believe, either Fukushima is another Chernobyl – in terms of the severity of the accident and risks of contamination – or it’s nothing like the 1986 disaster.

There’s reason to believe that at least in one respect, Fukushima can’t and won’t be another Chernobyl, at least due to the fact that the former has occurred in the age of the Internet whereas the latter took place in the considerably quaint 80s, when a car phone the size of a brick was considered the height of communications technology to most.

"It (a successful cover up) is definitely a danger in terms of Fukushima, and we'll see what happens. All you have to do is look at the first couple of weeks after Chernobyl to see the kind of cover up," said Biello.

"I mean the Soviet Union didn't even admit that anything was happening for a while, even though everybody was noticing these radiation spikes and all these other problems. The Soviet Union was not admitting that they were experiencing this catastrophic nuclear failure... in Japan, there's a consistent desire, or kind of a habit, of downplaying these accidents, when they happen. It's not as bad as it may seem, we haven't had a full meltdown."

Fast forward to 2011, when video clips of each puff of smoke out of the Daiichi plant make it around the world in seconds, news updates are available around the clock, activists post radiation readings on maps in multiple languages and Google Translate picks up the slack in translating every last Tweet on the subject coming out of Japan.

In short, it will be a heck of a lot harder to keep a lid on things than it was 25 years ago.

Follow D. Parvaz on Twitter: @DParvaz

http://english.aljazeera.ne...011877118599802.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Egypt authorities find another case of radiation in Japanese shipment
Staff
Wed, 10/08/2011 - 16:03
Average:
Poor
Okay
Good
Great
Awesome
No votes yet
ShareThis
views: 2,455
Printer-friendly versionSend to friend
<p><br /></p>
Photographed by المصري اليوم
Archived
Prev Next Pause Play

Egypt’s General Authority for Export and Import Control recently discovered radioactive cargo in two containers shipped from Japan to Ain Sokhna port, the Red Sea Ports Authority said.

This is the third radioactive shipment Egypt has discovered over the past month.

The radioactive material was found aboard ships carrying electric and mechanical instruments. A letter from Egypt’s atomic energy authorities confirmed the cargo had above-regulation radiation levels.

An official at the seaport said the Ministry of Environment and DP Worlds, which runs the Ain Sokhna port, transferred the ships to a sandy area in order to prevent the radiation from spreading to other shipments and vessels.

The authority said it would review communications between Japan and the companies that imported the shipments. It had said in late July it would immediately withdraw the shipping licenses of any companies responsible for importing radioactive cargo.

In June, three other shipments were detected with radiation above permitted levels.

Several countries have imposed a ban on imports from Japan, fearing the effects of a series of failures at its Fukushima nuclear reactor following the 9.0 magnitude earthquake that hit the country in March.
http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/485146
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
This is the 5th month anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami that so horrendously damaged Japan. Five months, probably seems like an eternity to the survivors as they struggle to rebuild and come to terms with the deaths of family and friends. Life goes on and people survive, as they always have, making plans, cleaning away the broken and shattered remnants of their old life and begin anew, building a new hope and new homes and businesses.

In five months much progress has been made, except in the evacuation zone, hundreds of square miles, around the melted and crippled reactors in Fukushima. There, life is at a standstill, as it has since the original natural catastrophe struck Japan and triggered a man-made disaster that has no end in sight. Hundreds of thousands of people are refugees, not from the earthquake and tsunami, but from the Fukushima nuclear disaster, their lives on hold, with no real ability to plan on returning to their homes, their farms, their businesses, to rebuild and start anew.

Many of these refugee's homes were untouched by the tsunami, and only moderately damaged by the earthquake, but their farms and lands are as dead as if the tsunami had wiped everything off their lands. Nobody knows how long it will be before these victims of man's hubris will be allow to return to restart their lives. Many are elderly and expect to die as refugees.

The earthquake and tsunami only destroyed for a few hours, but the nuclear power plants are destroying for months, and likely years, and for many survivors, destroying for a lifetime. The costs of remediation and compensation for the reactors will be a burden on the Japanese economy for decades, if not centuries, taking its toll in a never-ending fashion.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
I hope there is no truth in this blog....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Breaking News: A citizen of Minami soma shi turned out to have had severe internal exposure
Posted by Mochizuki on August 11th, 2011

8/3/2011,on the TV show “News Watch 9″ of NHK,they report that people from Minami soma shi had whole body counter check.

On the TV show,camera caught one of the result sheets.

It reads,

Cs-137 129,746 Bq + Cs-134 122,676 Bq = 252,422 Bq/kg

The person has had a severe internal exposure.

Minami soma shi is south to Fukushima nuclear plant,about 30km area.

3/12,SPEEDI forecast plumes would fly to there,which was concealed by the government.
http://fukushima-diary.com/...e-internal-exposure/

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 08-11-2011).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Radiation from Fukushima may lead to decreased population in Japan - Page 2
Gavin Blair Correspondent | The Christian Science Monitor | Aug 11, 2011
In the post-disaster environment, there is now another disincentive to have children: concerns about radiation. Though long-term health implications of exposure to low doses of radiation is disputed, medical officials deem infants to be more prone to the dangers than adults. “Before the disaster, I wanted to have another child, but now I don’t think I can. I used to work at the Fukushima Daini Nuclear Plant,” says Yuki Sato, referring to the facility a few miles from the stricken Daiichi facility. Ms. Sato and her 6-year-old son are now living at an evacuation center in Koriyama City on the western edge of Fukushima Prefecture. She is concerned about radiation she may have been exposed to following the accident. “I asked the medical staff at the center whether a baby would be affected,” says Sato. “They said it ‘should' be OK.' What kind of answer is that when talking about having a baby?”

Although few people were working as close to the Fukushima accident as Sato, women across the northeast of Japan, and as far away as Tokyo, are concerned about having children amid ongoing fears of the effects of radiation.

http://www.alaskadispatch.c...ation-japan?page=0,1
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Japan Nuclear Plant Operator Expects to Miss Decon Goal
Friday, Aug. 12, 2011

* Email This Article
* Print This Article
* Print All Articles

Tokyo Electric Power on Wednesday indicated it had little chance of meeting its goal to this year eliminate the bulk of radiation-tainted water flooding Japan's Fukushima Daiichi atomic power plant, the Asahi Shimbun reported (see GSN, Aug. 11).

The company has battled to prevent radioactive contaminants from escaping the six-reactor facility following a March 11 earthquake and tsunami that left more than 20,000 people dead or missing in Japan. The firm has pumped water into the plant on an ongoing basis in an effort to cool components, resulting in radiation-tainted liquid pooling in large portions of the site.

A decontamination system activated in June is intended to cleanse tainted fluid for reuse in the temperature control efforts, but the equipment's performance has fallen short of maximum designed efficiency.

The apparatus operated at 66.4 percent efficiency over a weeklong period that concluded on Tuesday, the company said. The system's efficiency dropped 7.6 percent from the prior week.

The plant contained 120,240 tons of radioactive liquid, the firm indicated (see GSN, Aug. 5; Asahi Shimbun I, Aug. 12).

Tokyo Electric Power on Wednesday launched the circulation heat mitigation mechanism for the No. 1 reactor's spent fuel cooling pond, the last pool at a damaged part of the plant to lack such equipment, Japan Broadcasting reported (Japan Broadcasting, Aug. 10).

Meanwhile, Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan and top Cabinet Office officials on Friday endorsed a proposal to establish a new nuclear accident prevention entity within the country's Environment Ministry, Kyodo News reported (Kyodo News/Mainichi Daily News, Aug. 12).

Elsewhere, 584 schools and other sites where children congregate in Japan's Fukushima prefecture have planned for the removal of radiation-tainted earth from their grounds, the Asahi Shimbun reported. Ninety-seven percent of the centers are slated to complete the effort ahead of the fall school term (Asahi Shimbun II, Aug. 12).
http://www.globalsecurityne...nw_20110812_8634.php
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Once again I hope this isn't true, but it probably is. From a blog covering tweets out of japan, take it for what its worth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, August 12, 2011
Decrease in White Blood Cells, Headache, Nausea in a Hospital in Sendai City, Miyagi

Tweets from a nurse (my very good guess from her tweets) in a large hospital in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture on August 10:

原因不明の白血球低下、頭痛、嘔吐増えてます。既存の診断名つけられて治療しても効果なしのケースうちの病院でもみかけます。もちろん全部放射能の影響というつもりはありませんが、 れも事実です。

Increasing number of patients with unexplainable decrease in white blood cells, headache, nausea. They are diagnosed for existing illness and undergo treatment, but they don't respond to the treatment at all. I've seen those cases in my hospital. I'm not saying they are all because of the radiation exposure, but I'm telling you what I'm seeing.

患者さん洗髪すると、髪が束になってごっそり抜けます。それを見るたびほんとに怖いです。「なーんで白血球下がってるんだろうなーーー」なんてのんきにいってる場合ですか先生。治療 きない人がこれから増えていきますよ。

When we wash their hair, it comes off in a clump. It is really scary. The doctor says, "I really wonder why the white blood cell count is down..." Doctor, don't be so relaxed about it. There is going to be more and more people who don't respond to treatment.

She suspects internal radiation from hospital meals, which the in-patients have no choice but eat.

The Japanese government can now create another "Special District for Medical Research" in Miyagi Prefecture, in addition to the one in Fukushima.
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/...-cells-headache.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Professor's anger at lawmakers creates buzz on Internet

SHUKAN ASAHI WEEKLY MAGAZINE

2011/08/13

An exasperated University of Tokyo professor who launched an angry tirade at lawmakers over the Fukushima nuclear crisis has become a hero to many on the Internet.

Tatsuhiko Kodama, 58, who heads the Radioisotope Center at Todai, was called to provide expert testimony before the Lower House Health, Labor and Welfare Committee on July 27.

Facing a panel of lawmakers, Kodama said, "At a time when 70,000 people have left their homes and have no idea where to go, what is the Diet doing?"

Video footage of Kodama's testimony was soon posted on YouTube, and within a few days, the video had been viewed more than 200,000 times.

Responses to the footage were generally favorable.

"I was deeply moved that Todai has a professor like him," said one post.

"I understand the scary truth. I understand the inaction of the central government," said another.

Besides being a doctor of internal medicine, Kodama is also an expert on internal radiation exposure. His background made even more shocking the testimony he provided in the Diet.

"(On March 21), Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said, 'There are no immediate problems for people's health.' At that time, I felt something very disastrous was about to occur," Kodama said. "When we look at problems from radiation, we consider the total exposure amount. Neither Tokyo Electric Power Co. nor the central government have made any clear report about total exposure from the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant."

The Radioisotope Center conducted its own calculations on the level of radiation contamination arising from the Fukushima nuclear accident.

Kodama explained the horrifying results of those calculations at the committee session.

"The equivalent of 29.6 times of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, or in terms of uranium about 20 atomic bombs, were released by the accident," Kodama said. "While the remaining radiation from atomic bombs decreases to one-thousandth of the original level after a year, radioactive materials from the nuclear power plant only decrease to one-tenth the original level."

After the nuclear accident, Kodama visited Minami-Soma, Fukushima Prefecture, on seven separate occasions to help decontaminate the area of radiation.

"What I am doing right now is totally illegal," Kodama said. "Under the present law to prevent problems arising (from radiation), the amount of radiation and the type of nuclide that can be handled by each facility is determined. While I am providing support in Minami-Soma, most of the facilities do not have the authority to handle cesium. Transporting the materials by car is also illegal.

"However, we cannot leave materials with high levels of radiation to the mothers in the community. In the decontamination process, we place all materials into barrels and bring them back to Tokyo," he said.

Kodama also strongly called for a new law that would help reduce radiation exposure among children as soon as possible.

As the most pressing concern, he called for thorough measurements of radiation amounts in the contaminated areas.

"Why does the central government not spend the money needed for comprehensive measures? I want to express an anger from my entire body," Kodama said.

After the huge response from the Internet, Kodama's son posted a message on Twitter that said: "While my father may be an influential scientist, he is also just a 58-year-old man who has to take care of an ill wife. There is no way that he alone can resolve everything. In order for the situation to really improve, I believe there is something that each and every individual can do."

On Aug. 6, Kodama appeared at a news conference with Katsunobu Sakurai, the mayor of Minami-Soma, and called for emergency decontamination measures. His tone was that of a mild-mannered gentleman.

He was slightly embarrassed by the Twitter message written by his son, but he added, "The public should pay attention to see which lawmakers from what party move quickly to draw up legislation."
http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201108120245.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Mushrooms Join Growing List of Radioactive Threats to Japan’s Food Chain
Q
By Naoko Fujimura - Aug 13, 2011 12:08 AM CT

* inShare0
* More
o Business Exchange
o Buzz up!
o Digg
* Print
* Email

Mushrooms are the latest addition to threats facing Japan’s food chain from radiation spewed by Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant.

Nameko mushrooms grown in the open air in Soma, a city about 40 kilometers (25 miles) north of the crippled plant, were found to contain nine times the legal limit of cesium, the local government said yesterday. Japan’s farm ministry asked growers in Fukushima prefecture to refrain from harvesting mushrooms off raw wood left outside, public broadcaster NHK said today.

Japan is under pressure to enhance safety inspection of foods, as it has no centralized system for detecting radiation contamination. Authorities in Fukushima and neighboring prefectures are conducting spot checks on products in cooperation with local farmers.

Half of Japan’s rice crop is grown within the radius of possible contamination from the nuclear plant damaged in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, and farmers are awaiting the results of tests before harvesting begins this month. Radiation exceeding safety levels has been found in produce, tea, milk, fish and beef sourced as far as 360 kilometers from the nuclear plant.

“By strengthening inspection on rice, we want to make only safe produce are around in the market,” Agriculture Minister Michihiko Kano said at a press conference yesterday.
EU Seafood Tests

The European Union plans to strengthen radiation inspection on imported seafood, both from waters near Japan and from farther out in the Pacific, NHK reported today.

Levels of cesium-134 in seawater near the Fukushima plant’s No. 3 reactor rose to levels 30 times the allowed safety standards last month, according to tests performed by Tokyo Electric Power Co, NHK reported at the time.

The forestry agency urged Fukushima prefecture to prevent shipments of any wood or charcoal that has been stored outdoors since the nuclear crisis, the Yomiuri newspaper said today. Jiji Press reported that the farm ministry ordered the local authorities to conduct tests on trees used for mushroom growing.

Tochigi prefecture, which borders Fukushima on the south, has begun collecting rice samples for testing, according to a report today on the website of the Sankei newspaper.

Last month, hay contaminated with as much as 690,000 becquerels a kilogram, compared with a government safety standard of 300 becquerels, was found to have been fed to cattle. Beef with unsafe levels of the radioactive element was detected in four prefectures, the health ministry said July 23.

Prolonged exposure to radiation in the air, ground and food can cause leukemia and other cancers, according to the London- based World Nuclear Association.

To contact the reporter on this story: Naoko Fujimura in Tokyo at nfujimura@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Paul Tighe at ptighe@bloomberg.net
http://www.bloomberg.com/ne...an-s-food-chain.html
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Radiation contamination leaves Fukushima schools unable to drain pool water
An educator checks the state of contaminated pool water at Watari Elementary School in Fukushima on Aug. 4, 2011. (Mainichi)
An educator checks the state of contaminated pool water at Watari Elementary School in Fukushima on Aug. 4, 2011. (Mainichi)

Many schools in Fukushima Prefecture are at a loss over what do to with their swimming pools, which can't be used or drained because the water is tainted with radioactive materials from the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, it has emerged.

The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology has said schools should obtain consent from farmers when draining pool water into agricultural waterways, but the Fukushima Prefectural Board of Education has not formed any guidelines on the concentration of radiation in water that is drained -- leaving locals to sort out the issue themselves.

According to the education board, about 600 of the 735 pools at public kindergartens, elementary schools, junior high schools and high schools in Fukushima can't be drained. Most of these pools are located in eastern parts of the prefecture near the damaged nuclear plant or in central Fukushima Prefecture. One-third of the pools are designed to drain their water into sewage systems, while the rest have to drain the water directly into agricultural waterways or rivers.

The Education Ministry's School Health Education Division says there are no legal guidelines for draining pool water. The ministry instructed the prefectural education board to obtain consent from farming and other related organizations when draining pool water into rivers and agricultural waterways, and the board passed the information on to schools in May, but farmers have been reluctant to allow schools to drain pool water into waterways. There are also many cases in which schools have the option of draining water into sewage lines, but they have not done so out of consideration for local residents.

At Fukushima Daiichi Elementary School in the city of Fukushima, the bottom of the school pool is darkened with dust contaminated with radioactive materials, and algae has turned the water green.

"We're concerned about health, too, so we want to drain the pools quickly, but we don't know the extent of contamination of the water and the sludge, and we can't cause trouble for people around the school," the school's principal commented.

In the cities of Date and Minamisoma, decontamination work using zeolite and other agents that can absorb radioactive materials has been carried out, but the cost of such work is said to reach several million yen per pool.

Since May, the prefectural board of education has asked the Education Ministry to present standards and methods for draining pool water, but ministry officials have merely responded that they will consult with related government ministries and agencies, and have provided no response.

A representative of the ministry's School Health Education Division commented, "Creating standards is difficult, and there is no option but to have schools and other related parties come to an agreement."

When asked about the radiation, a representative of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said, "We are not considering any particular response for pools alone." Meanwhile, a representative of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, which is in charge of sewage, said, "There is no problem with draining water into sewage lines, but when it comes to making arrangements with locals, that's out of our jurisdiction."

Muneyuki Shindo, a former Chiba University professor, said guidelines on decontamination should be provided.

"If jurisdiction over different parts of the work is divided, then officials should measure the concentration in accordance with clear instructions from the Cabinet, and present methods of decontamination," he said. "This is a typical scenario highlighting the government's lack of ability to make decisions and get things done."
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnn...2a00m0na016000c.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
* JAPAN NEWS
* AUGUST 13, 2011

Damaged Reactor Gets New Way to Curb Leaks: a Tent

Associated Press

The operator of Japan's damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear-power plant is building a huge tent to cover one of the worst-hit reactors, officials said.

Officials hope the cover will keep radioactive materials that have already leaked from spreading, prevent rainwater seepage and offer a barrier from possible leaks or blasts in the future.

The tent is being erected to provide a temporary replacement for the No. 1 reactor's outer housing shell, which was destroyed in an explosion caused by high pressure the day after Japan's deadly earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

Construction of the tent and its foundation began this week, Koji Watanabe, a spokesman for the power utility, said Friday. The work couldn't begin until now because the location was too dangerous for workers to operate in.

The tent is made up of airtight polyester. It will stand 177 feet tall and stretch 154 feet in length. It is held up by a metal frame.

Tokyo Electric PowerCo. officials have struggled to come up with ways to mitigate the dangers since the disaster struck five months ago, sending reactors into meltdowns, releasing radioactive particles into the environment and causing the world's worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl in 1986.

Work at the plant has been hindered by the continuing threat of radiation to workers. This month, Tepco said an area where potentially lethal levels of radiation were detected near Unit 1 has been sealed. It said radiation exceeded 10 sieverts—40 times the highest level allowed for an emergency workers to be exposed to—at two locations near a duct connected to a ventilation stack. The area required no immediate work and was closed off.

If the tent over reactor No. 1 proves successful, similar coverings will be constructed over other reactors on the plant. The areas around the other reactors are also highly risky to work in.

The tent is expected to be completed by the end of September, Mr. Watanabe said.

http://online.wsj.com/artic...504581519139352.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
* ASIA NEWS
* AUGUST 13, 2011

Scandal Taints Japan Nuclear Sector
By CHESTER DAWSON

SAGA, Japan—The Fukushima Daiichi accident was a big setback for nuclear power in Japan. But the industry's hamfisted efforts to maintain support in the aftermath of that disaster may have an even bigger impact in eroding the public's confidence in the sector.

After a series of disclosures in recent weeks painting government regulators and electric utilities as collaborating to stage-manage public community forums on local nuclear power, efforts to restart idled Japanese nuclear reactors have screeched to a halt.

View Full Image
ASTROTUFF
Reuters

Workers from Fukushima protest in Tokyo on Friday. A scandal is further eroding faith in the nuclear sector.
ASTROTUFF
ASTROTUFF
More

* Damaged Reactor Gets New Way to Curb Leaks: a Tent

The controversy was sparked by recent revelations by a whistleblower at utility Kyushu Electric Power Co. that it sought to short-circuit debate at a June community event convened in the southwestern prefecture of Saga to discuss restarting a pair of nuclear reactors that had been shut for routine maintenance. Public outrage has been fanned by subsequent acknowledgment by the governor of Saga that he privately advised utility executives on soliciting pro-nuclear support.

That has led to Japanese government investigations that have uncovered a nationwide pattern of attempts to manipulate the public's opinion about nuclear power by Japan's biggest electric utilities. Some of those power companies then pointed the finger back at regulators for having covertly urged such efforts in the first place.

The "AstroTurf"—or fake-grass-roots—campaigns, which ranged from packing events with supporters to planting questions and orchestrating email drives, have now badly backfired, sparking public outrage that has made it difficult to restart any reactors taken down for regular maintenance checks over the past five months.

"The fact that the symposium I participated in turned out to be just a tool for promoting nuclear power leaves a very bad taste in my mouth," said Yoshinobu Hirata, 49, a part-time rice farmer and former municipal official, who was one of a handful of local residents invited to the government-sponsored event in June. "It will take a lot of time for Kyushu Electric to heal the wounds in the local community."

"The environment in Japan has changed radically since the Fukushima crisis erupted, but Kyushu Electric appears to have behaved as if it's business as usual," Nobuo Gohara, tapped by the company to head up an independent probe of the PR campaign, said in an interview. "Japan's electric power monopolies have long operated in a closed-off world that calls into question their commitment to corporate governance," added Mr. Gohara, a former prosecutor and an expert on regulatory compliance.

The scandal deepened Tuesday, when Mr. Gohara, who has appointed a team of 16 investigators, accused a top executive of ordering the destruction of documents, some of which were apparently thrown out, after his probe began. A spokesman for Kyushu Electric said the company was aware of Mr. Gohara's accusation, but declined to comment pending the release of the committee's findings.

The flap, first revealed by the utility whistleblower, stems from an early-morning meeting on June 21 between Saga Gov. Yasushi Furukawa and three executives of Kyushu Electric. Gov. Furukawa now says that he urged the executives at that meeting to line up supportive voices from the industry in advance of the June 26 event and "use the Internet" during the public forum, to ensure that pro-nuclear views got an airing. Instead of hosting the company delegation at the prefectural offices, the governor invited them to his walled-off official residence a short distance away, later explaining he did so because the meeting was so early.

When his actions came to light, the governor apologized for "imprudently" accepting the meeting and offering advice, but he denies instructing Kyushu Electric to mobilize its own employees to throw the debate.

Later that day, the three Kyushu Electric officials discussed the governor's request over lunch in a local soba-noodle shop, where one jotted down notes, according to Mr. Gohara, the investigator. That memo called for participation in the forum, ideally "from home personal computers," and was disseminated to 100 midlevel utility employees, who then spread the message to hundreds of others internally and externally.

At the June public forum, there were 286 opinions in support of restarting the reactors and 163 opposed. Japanese media have reported that more than 140 of the supporting comments were directly attributable to pressure from Kyushu Electric, enough to tip the balance. That "consensus" was used by government officials as a reason to move ahead with a restart.

Now, a total of seven electric utilities have acknowledged they sent employees to make up as much as half the audience in regional community forums in incidents going back to 2005, according to a report by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry issued on July 27.

Chubu Electric Power Co. and Shikoku Electric Power Co. said they were ordered to do so by the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, ostensibly the government's chief nuclear watchdog. Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Banri Kaieda, who oversees the agency, admitted to, and apologized for, those actions by officials. At a parliamentary hearing where he was berated by opposition lawmakers for his handling of the mushrooming scandal, Mr. Kaieda broke down in tears.

The disclosures prompted Prime Minister Naoto Kan last week to label NISA a "lobby" of the utilities, and spurred the government to propose breaking up NISA by removing its nuclear industry oversight responsibilities and handing them over to the environment ministry.

And Kyushu Electric's stage management of the June forum has shaken faith in nuclear power even in the conservative stronghold of Saga, a small city crisscrossed by feudal-era moats and located some 560 miles southwest of Tokyo.
Related

* Damaged Reactor Gets Tent to Curb Leaks

"I never thought about nuclear power before Fukushima, but now I worry about it a lot," said Namiko Otsubo, 25, an office worker in Saga. "Other countries have given up on nuclear energy and Japan should do the same."

The disclosures have put Gov. Furukawa on the defensive but he has resisted calls that he step down—most recently during a prefectural assembly session this week. Local antinuclear activists have held regular protest rallies, including a 20-person march last week around the prefectural government building in Saga with bullhorns and banners calling for Gov. Furukawa's ouster and the decommissioning of the Genkai reactors.

However, the governor remains a popular figure in much of Saga, where he was elected to a third term by a healthy margin this year.

"The governor is getting lots of heartburn about this scandal, but I doubt a few words he said in one meeting set all this in motion," said Takashi Koga, 46, an asparagus farmer in Saga. "But what Kyushu Electric did is inexcusable."

http://online.wsj.com/artic...499942442007306.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Radiation effect on children's thyroid glands

A survey shows that a small amount of radioactive iodine has been detected in the thyroid glands of hundreds of children in Fukushima Prefecture.

The result was reported to a meeting of the Japan Pediatric Society in Tokyo on Saturday.

A group of researchers led by Hiroshima University professor Satoshi Tashiro tested 1,149 children in the prefecture for radiation in their thyroid glands in March following the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. Radioactive iodine was detected in about half of the children.

Tashiro says radiation in thyroid glands exceeding 100 millisieverts poses a threat to humans, but that the highest level in the survey was 35 millisieverts.

Tashiro says based on the result, it is unlikely that thyroid cancer will increase in the future, but that health checks must continue to prepare for any eventuality.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 02:16 +0900 (JST)
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/13_26.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

8/16/2011 @ 2:55PM |24,620 views
Where's That Radioactive Sulfur Now? Possibly In Your Pants
When the news broke yesterday that a previously unreported type of fallout from Fukushima—radioactive sulfur—had reached the United States in late March, nearly all mainstream media reports made the claim that it poses no threat to the health of Americans. But none of them explained where the radioactive sulfur went.

And if you’re a man, you may be interested to know that some miniscule portion of it could be in your testicles.
Move up Move down
Video: Ticker Battle: Nuclear Substitutes
Video: The Case For Nuclear

Scientists from the University of California San Diego have routinely monitored natural levels of radioactive sulfur in the atmosphere in La Jolla, California, since 2009. Radioactive sulfur is produced naturally in the stratosphere when gamma rays strike argon atoms, but very little of that radioactive sulfur reaches the lower atmosphere.

On March 28, the researchers recorded a spike in radioactive sulfur that they doubted could have come from the stratosphere:

On a normal day, (Antra) Priyadarshi sees between 180 and 475 sulfur-35 atoms as sulfates per cubic meter of air, but on the 28th, her team recorded about 1500. “No one has ever seen such a high percentage of the stratospheric air coming into the marine-bound layer,” she says.

via Fukushima Reactor Damage Picked Up in California Winds – ScienceNOW.

The researchers surmise the sulfur was produced when emergency workers at Fukushima flooded the nuclear plant’s runaway reactors with seawater to cool the melting fuel rods. Neutrons emitted by the fuel rods struck chlorine atoms in the water, forming sulfur-35 that escaped from the plant in the form of steam.

Prevailing winds carried the sulfur toward California, the researchers contend. They estimate that only about 0.7 percent of the radioactive sulfur emitted at Fukushima reached the California coast.

The California Air Resources Board estimates that Californians inhale 10-50 liters of air per minute during normal activities ranging from sitting to running. A liter equals 0.001 cubic meters, meaning Californians may have inhaled only about 360 radioactive sulfur atoms on that day—or more.

Priyadarshi’s co-author, Mark Thiemens, assured The Los Angeles Times that the levels observed pose no threat to Californians. ”The levels we observed are in no way harmful in California,” Thiemens said.

Many scientists agree such tiny amounts of radiation pose no risk—except for those scientists who contend that all additional radiation poses additional risk.

Sulfur-35 is a weak beta emitter. All but 20 percent of the radiation it emits is halted by the dead layer of skin at the surface of the human body, according to the Health Physics Society. However, the body more readily absorbs ingested or inhaled sulfur.

Sulfur-35 has a half-life of 87.5 days outside of the body, but a biological half-life of 623 days, according to Michigan State University’s Office of Radiation, Chemical & Biological Safety.

Most universities advise employees to handle volatile Sulfur-35 within a hooded enclosure.

Sulfur-35 is absorbed by the entire body but is of particular concern to men because it tends to concentrate in the testicles, according to a Nuclide Safety Data Sheet from the University of North Carolina Charlotte. Beta radiation occurring there could damage neighboring cells.

The San Diego researchers published their findings Monday in the Publication of the National Academy of Sciences. Their report does not address the heath effects of radioactive sulfur, which they do not consider significant in this event, but it seeks to use the La Jolla data to derive the intensity of neutron radiation at Fukushima.

Scientists including Andreas Stohl of the Norwegian Institute for Air Research and Edward Morse of UC Berkeley questioned the reliability of those conclusions, according to published reports.
http://www.forbes.com/sites...sibly-in-your-pants/
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Transcript from Russia Today video....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Host: “Workers at Japan’s Fukushima plant say the ground underneath the facility is cracking and radioactive steam is escaping through the cracks” [...]

Dr. Robert Jacobs, Hiroshima Peace Institute: “It’s a very serious and alarming development because this started to happen specifically after two large earthquakes in the last few weeks, there was a 6.4 on the 31 of July 31 and a 6.0 on August 12″ [...]

“It’s an indication that radioactive material is moving under the ground” [...]

“When you have a fragile structure that’s already suffered a great deal of damage and when you have continual aftershocks at the level of six-point, or there’s been some even higher, what we have now is we have the radioactive core that has melted down into the basement, into the bottom of the containment vessel of these reactors, and if the radiation level is going down, where it’s been monitored inside the buildings, and if the water pressure is going down, and the temperature is going down, it’s not that the radiation is just suddenly going away, it means that the radioactive material, the melted core, is simply moving further away from where it’s been measured. And it may have — as a result of these aftershocks — be moving down out of the building itself.” [....]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fimRJocH_90
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
The explosive truth behind Fukushima's meltdown

Japan insists its nuclear crisis was caused by an unforeseeable combination of tsunami and earthquake. But new evidence suggests its reactors were doomed to fail

By David McNeill in Tokyo and Jake Adelstein

Wednesday, 17 August 2011

The Independent Close
o DiggDigg
o del.icio.usdel.icio.us
o FacebookFacebook
o RedditReddit
o GoogleGoogle
o Stumble UponStumble Upon
o FarkFark
o NewsvineNewsvine
o zYahooBuzz
o BeboBebo
o TwitterTwitter
o CommentsComments
* Print
* Email
* Text Size
o Normal
o Large
o Extra Large

AP

International Atomic Energy Agency fact-finding team leader Mike Weightman inspects the damage to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station in May, 11 weeks into the disaster

* Photos enlarge

Sponsored Links
Ads by Google

Emergency First Aid
Learn About Emergency First Aid.
Get Advice From Health Experts Now.
healthynow.com

EDI 622 Transaction Set
EDI Software & Services support the
X12 Intermodal Ramp Activity.
www.1EDISource.com/X12/TSet/622

How To Do Cpr
Find Info On How To Do Cpr.
Wanna Know How? Our Experts Know.
InquireHow.com

First Aid Supplies
50+ years of providing first aid
supplies at affordable prices
www.SterlingFirstAid.com

It is one of the mysteries of Japan's ongoing nuclear crisis: How much damage did the 11 March earthquake inflict on the Fukushima Daiichi reactors before the tsunami hit?

The stakes are high: if the earthquake structurally compromised the plant and the safety of its nuclear fuel, then every similar reactor in Japan may have to be shut down. With almost all of Japan's 54 reactors either offline (in the case of 35) or scheduled for shutdown by next April, the issue of structural safety looms over any discussion about restarting them.

Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) and Japan's government are hardly reliable adjudicators in this controversy. "There has been no meltdown," government spokesman Yukio Edano repeated in the days after 11 March. "It was an unforeseeable disaster," Tepco's then president Masataka Shimizu famously and improbably said later. Five months since the disaster, we now know that meltdown was already occurring as Mr Edano spoke. And far from being unforeseeable, the disaster had been repeatedly forewarned by industry critics.
Related articles

* More World news
* Search the news archive for more stories

Throughout the months of lies and misinformation, one story has stuck: it was the earthquake that knocked out the plant's electric power, halting cooling to its six reactors. The tsunami then washed out the plant's back-up generators 40 minutes later, shutting down all cooling and starting the chain of events that would cause the world's first triple meltdown.

But what if recirculation pipes and cooling pipes burst after the earthquake – before the tidal wave reached the facilities; before the electricity went out? This would surprise few people familiar with the 40-year-old reactor one, the grandfather of the nuclear reactors still operating in Japan.

Problems with the fractured, deteriorating, poorly repaired pipes and the cooling system had been pointed out for years. In September 2002, Tepco admitted covering up data about cracks in critical circulation pipes. In their analysis of the cover-up, The Citizen's Nuclear Information Centre writes: "The records that were covered up had to do with cracks in parts of the reactor known as recirculation pipes. These pipes are there to siphon off heat from the reactor. If these pipes were to fracture, it would result in a serious accident in which coolant leaks out."

On 2 March, nine days before the meltdown, government watchdog the Nuclear Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) warned Tepco on its failure to inspect critical pieces of equipment at the plant, including recirculation pumps. Tepco was ordered to make the inspections, perform repairs if needed and report to NISA on 2 June. It does not appear, as of now, that the report has been filed.

The Independent has spoken to several workers at the plant who recite the same story: serious damage, to piping and at least one of the reactors, occurred before the tsunami hit. All have requested anonymity because they are still working at or connected with the stricken plant. Worker A, a maintenance engineer who was at the Fukushima complex on the day of the disaster, recalls hissing, leaking pipes.

"I personally saw pipes that had come apart and I assume that there were many more that had been broken throughout the plant. There's no doubt that the earthquake did a lot of damage inside the plant... I also saw that part of the wall of the turbine building for reactor one had come away. That crack might have affected the reactor."

The reactor walls are quite fragile, he notes: "If the walls are too rigid, they can crack under the slightest pressure from inside so they have to be breakable because if the pressure is kept inside... it can damage the equipment inside so it needs to be allowed to escape. It's designed to give during a crisis, if not it could be worse – that might be shocking to others, but to us it's common sense." Worker B, a technician in his late 30s who was also on site at the time of the earthquake, recalls: "It felt like the earthquake hit in two waves, the first impact was so intense you could see the building shaking, the pipes buckling, and within minutes I saw pipes bursting. Some fell off the wall...

"Someone yelled that we all needed to evacuate. But I was severely alarmed because as I was leaving I was told and I could see that several pipes had cracked open, including what I believe were cold water supply pipes. That would mean that coolant couldn't get to the reactor core. If you can't sufficiently get the coolant to the core, it melts down. You don't have to have to be a nuclear scientist to figure that out." As he was heading to his car, he could see that the walls of the reactor one building had started to collapse. "There were holes in them. In the first few minutes, no one was thinking about a tsunami. We were thinking about survival."

The suspicion that the earthquake caused severe damage to the reactors is strengthened by reports that radiation leaked from the plant minutes later. The Bloomberg news agency has reported that a radiation alarm went off about a mile from the plant at 3.29pm, before the tsunami hit.

The reason for official reluctance to admit that the earthquake did direct structural damage to reactor one is obvious. Katsunobu Onda, author of Tepco: The Dark Empire, explains it this way: A government or industry admission "raises suspicions about the safety of every reactor they run. They are using a number of antiquated reactors that have the same systematic problems, the same wear and tear on the piping." Earthquakes, of course, are commonplace in Japan.

Mitsuhiko Tanaka, a former nuclear plant designer, describes what occurred on 11 March as a loss-of-coolant accident. "The data that Tepco has made public shows a huge loss of coolant within the first few hours of the earthquake. It can't be accounted for by the loss of electrical power. There was already so much damage to the cooling system that a meltdown was inevitable long before the tsunami came."

He says the released data shows that at 2.52pm, just after the quake, the emergency circulation equipment of both the A and B systems automatically started up. "This only happens when there is a loss of coolant." Between 3.04 and 3.11pm, the water sprayer inside the containment vessel was turned on. Mr Tanaka says that it is an emergency measure only done when other cooling systems have failed. By the time the tsunami arrived and knocked out all the electrical systems, at about 3.37pm, the plant was already on its way to melting down.

Kei Sugaoka, who conducted on-site inspections at the plant and was the first to blow the whistle on Tepco's data tampering, says he was not surprised by what happened. In a letter to the Japanese government, dated 28 June 2000, he warned that Tepco continued to operate a severely damaged steam dryer in the plant 10 years after he pointed out the problem. The government sat on the warning for two years.

"I always thought it was just a matter of time," he says of the disaster. "This is one of those times in my life when I'm not happy I was right."

During his research, Mr Onda spoke with several engineers who worked at the Tepco plants. One told him that often piping would not match up to the blueprints. In that case, the only solution was to use heavy machinery to pull the pipes close enough together to weld them shut. Inspection of piping was often cursory and the backs of the pipes, which were hard to reach, were often ignored. Repair jobs were rushed; no one wanted to be exposed to nuclear radiation longer than necessary.

Mr Onda adds: "When I first visited the Fukushima Power Plant it was a web of pipes. Pipes on the wall, on the ceiling, on the ground. You'd have to walk over them, duck under them – sometimes you'd bump your head on them. The pipes, which regulate the heat of the reactor and carry coolant are the veins and arteries of a nuclear power plant; the core is the heart. If the pipes burst, vital components don't reach the heart and thus you have a heart attack, in nuclear terms: meltdown. In simpler terms, you can't cool a reactor core if the pipes carrying the coolant and regulating the heat rupture – it doesn't get to the core."

Tooru Hasuike, a Tepco employee from 1977 until 2009 and former general safety manager of the Fukushima plant, says: "The emergency plans for a nuclear disaster at the Fukushima plant had no mention of using seawater to cool the core. To pump seawater into the core is to destroy the reactor. The only reason you'd do that is no other water or coolant was available."

Before dawn on 12 March, the water levels at the reactor began to plummet and the radiation began rising. The Tepco press release published just past 4am that day states: "The pressure within the containment vessel is high but stable." There was one note buried in the release that many people missed: "The emergency water circulation system was cooling the steam within the core; it has ceased to function."

At 9.51pm, under the chief executive's orders, the inside of the reactor building was declared a no-entry zone. At around 11pm, radiation levels for the inside of the turbine building, which was next door to reactor reached levels of 0.5 to 1.2 mSv per hour. In other words, the meltdown was already underway. At those levels, if you spent 20 minutes exposed to those radiation levels you would exceed the five-year limit for a nuclear reactor worker in Japan.

Sometime between 4 and 6am, on 12 March, Masao Yoshida, the plant manager decided it was time to pump seawater into the reactor core and notified Tepco. Seawater was not pumped in until hours after a hydrogen explosion occurred, at roughly 8pm. By then, it was probably already too late.

Later that month, Tepco went some way toward admitting at least some of these claims in a report called "Reactor Core Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit One". The report said there was pre-tsunami damage to key facilities, including pipes.

"This means that assurances from the industry in Japan and overseas that the reactors were robust is now blown apart," said Shaun Burnie, an independent nuclear waste consultant who works with Greenpeace. "It raises fundamental questions on all reactors in high seismic risk areas."

As Mr Burnie points out, Tepco also admitted massive fuel melt 16 hours after loss of coolant, andseven or eight hours before the explosion in Unit One. "Since they must have known all this, their decision to flood with massive water volumes would guarantee massive additional contamination – including leaks to the ocean."

No one knows how much damage was done to the plant by the earthquake, or if this damage alone would account for the meltdown. But certainly Tepco's data and eyewitness testimony indicates that the damage was significant.

As Mr Hasuike says: "Tepco and the government of Japan have provided many explanations. They don't make sense. The one thing they haven't provided is the truth. It's time they did."
http://www.independent.co.u...eltdown-2338819.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Radioactive materials from Japan found in China's waters

* Xinhua and Staff Reporter
* 2011-08-15
* 17:33 (GMT+8)

The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant was crippled by the 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that struck northeastern Japan on March 11. (File Photo/Xinhua)

The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant was crippled by the 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that struck northeastern Japan on March 11. (File Photo/Xinhua)

China's State Oceanic Administration (SOA) said last Friday (Aug 12) that waters in China have been affected by the radioactive materials leaked from the crippled nuclear power plant in Fukushima.

Last month, the SOA said in a statement that the level of cesium-137 in samples collected from western Pacific waters is 300 times the usual level, and strontium-90 10 times .

The statement said that the administration has sent professional personnel to the western Pacific and the southeast of Japan's Fukushima waters to monitor the impact of the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, as well as to China's territorial waters.

During the 18-day voyage, Chinese professional personnel monitored waters of 25.2 square kilometers, and the monitoring team collected air, water and biological samples from the spot areas.

In the latest statement for media last Friday, SOA said that areas polluted by Fukushima plant are larger than what the Japanese had claimed and waters in China could be polluted as well.

The Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in Japan was crippled by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and ensuing tsunami on March 11.
http://www.wantchinatimes.c...11&id=20110815000036
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
US Government Considered Evacuation of 90,000 US Citizens in Tokyo

According to Kevin Maher, a US diplomat and the former director of the Japan Desk at the US State Department in Japan, the US government considered evacuating all 90,000 US citizens in Tokyo right after the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant accident.

From Yomiuri Shinbun (10:30PM JST 8/17/2011):

東京電力福島第一原子力発電所の事故直後、米政府が、東京在住の米国人9万人全員を避難させる案を検討していたことが分かった。

The US government was considering the plan to evacuate all 90,000 US citizens living in Tokyo right after the Fukushima I Nuclear power Plant accident, according to a new book.

元米国務省日本部長のケビン・メア氏が、19日に出版する「決断できない日本」(文春新書)で明らかにした。9万人避難が実行されていれば、他国の政府対応はもとより、日本人にもパ ックを引き起こしかねないところだった。

The book, which is to be published on August 17, is titled "決断できない日本 (Japan that cannot decide)" (Bunshun Shinsho) and was written by Kevin Maher, former Japan Desk director at the US State Department. If the plan to evacuate 90,000 Americans had been carried out, it could have triggered reactions from other foreign governments, and caused panic among the Japanese.

メア氏は震災直後、国務省内の特別作業班で日本側との調整にあたり、著書にその内幕をつづった。

Maher's book recounts the inside information that Maher obtained as he was part of the special task force within the State Department right after the March 11 disaster, communicating with the Japanese side.

米国人の避難が提起されたのは、3月16日未明(現地時間)の会議だった。米側は無人偵察機グローバルホークの情報から原子炉の温度が異常に高いことを把握し、「燃料が既に溶融し いる」と判断。菅政権が対応を東電任せにしているとみて、「不信感は強烈」な状況だったという。米国人の避難を求めた政府高官に対し、メア氏らは「日米同盟が大きく揺らぐ事態にな 」と反論し、実行に移さなかったとしている。

The subject of evacuating the US citizens was raised in the early hours on March 16 (local time). The US had already knew about the unusually high temperature of the reactors from the Global Hawk data, and determined that "the fuel has already melted". The US thought the Kan administration was simply leaving the disaster response to TEPCO, and "distrust [in the administration] was intense". The US high-ranking officials wanted to evacuate the US citizens [from Tokyo] but the local officials including Maher objected, as "it would severely undermine the US-Japan alliance". The plan was never implemented.

It's very heart-warming to know they left 90,000 US citizens in Tokyo under the radioactive plume, which literally rained on them on March 15, 16 and 21, for the sake of "alliance", isn't it?

I also remember back in March that the US investment bank Goldman Sachs flew in high-ranking executives to Tokyo, and told the US employees there in no uncertain terms that they were to stay put in Tokyo, or they would lose their jobs.
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/...d-evacuation-of.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 64 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock