Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Christmas is over, time to think about next years gift.....A HAND GUN! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Christmas is over, time to think about next years gift.....A HAND GUN! by jimbolaya
Started on: 12-28-2010 08:22 PM
Replies: 162
Last post by: jetman on 01-19-2013 12:17 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
So I have finally convinced the wife to allow a hand gun in the house. She said if I take what ever classes I need to, Santa might bring me a hand gun next year. I plan on taking a beginners course for just getting familiar with a gun, and then whatever other steps are necessary. I eventually want to get a CWP, but that is not an immediate goal. I'm going to the shooting range with my Brother in Law on Thursday, and will get my first chance to shoot a handgun. (that's right, I'm a handgun virgin) I have shot rifles, but never a handgun. I plan on going to some of the gun shows this year and handling some guns to see what I like.

What other tips, and advise do you have for a beginner, and what kind of gun do you recommend? I will do some searching here for some old threads, and see what I can learn. thanks a bunch.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
if your looking for big power with small size i vote a glock .45 (model 36 is compact) ..
also you cant go wrong with a model 1911 or 1911 A1 if your not worried about size
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
For a beginner I would recommend a revolver, or double action only auto. A single action auto is too easy to accidentally fire, especially in a situation that your addrenaline is pumping. I like the XD series of Springfields, Glocks are good too, but they are not comfortable in my hand. Taurus makes some good DAO's too, like the "24/7" I have one in .40 and really like it for my CCW. My personal choice is 1911's, but they are single action only and take alot of practice to be safe, but I have a shooting range in my back yard, plenty of practice for me !
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dmcgreene:

if your looking for big power with small size i vote a glock .45 (model 36 is compact) ..
also you cant go wrong with a model 1911 or 1911 A1 if your not worried about size

Right now, I'm looking for ease of use, and safety until I am more familiar with the use of a handgun. Of course, it needs to put someone down, and not just wound. Minimum 22 or 38? Yes, that is a question.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 12-28-2010).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

For a beginner I would recommend a revolver, or double action only auto.

Since I am a beginner, I will ask a beginner question. By double action, I am assuming you mean it is a gun that you have to pull back the hammer, before pulling the trigger?

Jim

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
That was another point I forgot to make about revolvers and DAO's, there is no mechanical safety to have to worry about, the heavy trigger pull and trigger and grip safties are all there is on most. The safeties are automatically disengaged when held in a firing position.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I quoted mself, instead of edit.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 12-28-2010).]

dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Since I am a beginner, I will ask a beginner question. By double action, I am assuming you mean it is a gun that you have to pull back the hammer, before pulling the trigger?

Jim

double action means you do not have to pull the hammer back, just pull the trigger if one is champered, or in a revolver just pull the trigger it, it fires and advances the cylinder... single action means you have to pull the hammer back to **** it and advance the cylinder before you can fire..

also a nice stout lil revolver is a snub nosed .38 special.. made by smith and wesson (model 36 chief special).. also rosi makes one thats identical but a thicker barrel and better made in my opinion
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Find a gun that is comfortable in your hand. The dimensions of guns vary quite a lot, what feels good in one person's hands will be too big or small in another's. I'd recommend going to a local gun shop and trying out a bunch, just to get an idea. If you explain you're new to guns you will usually get decent help.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Double action means that it is a long trigger pull because it is drawing the striker back and releasing as you pull the trigger, much like a revolver if you dont pull the hammer back first. Single action is in the cocked position before the trigger is pulled, making it a hair trigger, like when you draw the hammer back a revolver first.

The "what caliber" issue is more preferance thatn anything with modern ammo, I will say 22 and 25 are not great for personal defense, but still better then a stick. My wife carries a .380 year round. I swap from my commander size 1911 .45 in the winter to my Taurus 24/7 .40 or Sig p238 .380 in the summer depending on how light my clothing is.
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post

Right now, I'm looking for ease of use, and safety until I am more familiar with the use of a handgun. Of course, it needs to put someone down, and not just wound. Minimum 22 or 38? Yes, that is a question.

Jim

also 38 isnt that bad (my dad puts bird shot in the 1st chamber just as a warning shot) and 22 will travel up and down bones turning them to jello... and a .45 is like being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer

[This message has been edited by dmcgreene (edited 12-28-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I carried a .38 special for a year--back in the early '70s. Military issue for air crews. I liked it--took a lot of abuse in a dirty environment and still fired every time. Probably not something you could conceal as readily as some pistols, but not overly heavy or bulky either. I wasn't worried about concealing it at the time, since i was otherwise armed to the max everyday anyway. If I were going to purchase one today, I would look for a little longer barrel tho for a better balance--and def a double action.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Only handgun I've ever shot is an old Chinese Tokarev, an un-ergonomic piece of crap. I'd love to try a P-38 or P-99.
SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroDirect Link to This Post

Of course, it needs to put someone down, and not just wound.

That is probably the biggest part of accepting why you want to carry a firearm. Anyone who carries one with the intention that they will only wound someone has no business carrying a firearm. Until you show an attacker a weapon, you are not really a threat to them.

Once you show a firearm, it will be your life or theirs.

I prefer a 380 semi as it is easier to conceal than bigger guns, which means I can bring it more places in hot weather .

Since you are new at this.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
A simple .22 revolver would be a good place to start. It's not going to take down a bear, but it's simple and easy to use and ammo is dirt cheap so you can get a lot of practice.
In one of your many range trips when you've become comfortable with firing handguns, you can rent some other models and calipers and try them out to see what you like.

Also keep in mind your needs for a concealed carry weapon will likely be different than a range/practice weapon. Starting with a cheap .22 lets you get in lots of practice until you know what you want to spend more money on.

Definitely sign up for any training you can.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Definitely sign up for any training you can.

I've gotten a lot of great suggestions on guns, but what type of courses are out there? What am I going to need to do to make a gun purchase. My Brother in Law will fill me in I'm sure, but I'd thought I'd ask here anyhoo. I hear on talk radio about these $50 classes all the time.

Jim
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Check with the NRA for safety courses is a good bet, likely there are some in your area, or you can check some gunny type forums (I'm a member of a couple, the ones that aren't region specific in their entirety have region specific sections).

Try usacarry.com for general information, I am also a member on an open-carry specific site if you're interested, but not everyone is comfortable with that.

As for beginner weapon recommendations, a .22 is great for getting comfortable with firearms handling, but for actual self-defense purposes I would probably recommend no smaller than a .380 (not to say a .22 won't work in a pinch, 6 .22 holes in the bad guy is better than 6 .44 holes in the wall).

I'm a fan of 9mm, especially in a medium to large frame pistol for a couple of reasons. Ammo cost is one, and recoil manageability is another. Lower recoil is definitely a nice thing for someone not used to shooting in general. I own Taurus's copy of the Beretta 92 (armed forces M9 basically), big, heavy, steel framed full-size 9mm. Shoots like a dream, and looks good (imho)

A beginner might be more comfortable with a Glock honestly. Ease of operation and reliability always get top marks, even if they aren't the prettiest. No external safety to mess with, no external hammer to worry about. Load, rack, point and squeeze.

If you have any friends who shoot, offer to buy them some ammunition and go to the range and try out as many weapons as you can get your mitts on. Odds are you'll learn something, and shooting stuff at the range is ALWAYS fun
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Go to a range and use as many different style and calibers you can. Glock for a beginner is not a good choice, no secondary safety. Other than the second trigger inside the trigger.

I’m 5’8” tall and weight in around 160 lbs and have had a 45 model 1911 and they kick like a mule, on steroids. So if your wife maybe using the pistol you might want to rethink that caliber. Plus realigning a target after a shot takes longer because of recoil. But try them all, all calibers and guns. Owning a hand gun is like getting married, some work, and some don’t.

We have a Glock 17, 9 mm and that fits myself and the wife likes it to. Granted it may take more hits to bring a man down. But with 17 rounds I got plenty.

If you know any cops see if they have a Hogan’s ally range. It is more for cops and real life action as far as firing a gun.

Just my opinion.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Look for a NRA certified instructor in your area, alot of them advertise on Craigslist here. I google "NRA basic pistol virginia beach" and it looks like ther is a good choice of instructors in your area. Start with "Basic Pistol" and work your way up through the more advanced classes. If you are going to get a CCW there is probably a minimum training requirement. The best training after the basic fundementals is practice, practice...and remember the only real safety is the one between your ears.
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Also look up reviews to see which guns suffer from failure to fire or failure to feed. This is ok at the range, when you have time to adjust and fix things, but if it's your life or theirs and you pull the trigger and it jams, you're screwed. Some guns are very picky on the brand of ammo used, some will eat anything without complaining. With a revolver, you can switch to the next chamber (if you have time). gunblast.com is one review site I like a lot.
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Not really relevant but I got my gf of about 1 year a .22LR rifle for our first x-mas together. She shot her first guns (all handguns) with me since we have been together.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Not really relevant but I got my gf of about 1 year a .22LR rifle for our first x-mas together. She shot her first guns (all handguns) with me since we have been together.

A girl shooting guns, is always relevant! I think my wife is getting interested herself. She said she wants to go to the range with me, after I get a gun. She has even sheepishly asked, "Do they make guns a girl can shoot?" My pants got tighter. The family that shoots together, stays together.

Jim

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Check with the NRA, and also go to your local range and ask about training. Most advertised training is probably for concealed carry permits.
The range here offers entry-level gun safety courses, as well as intermediate and advanced courses. They also offer tactical defense courses that teach you how to react and shoot in an actual life or death encounter.

If you don't know any good ranges, again, check with the NRA, or ask a local law enforcement officer.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

A girl shooting guns, is always relevant! I think my wife is getting interested herself. She said she wants to go to the range with me, after I get a gun. She has even sheepishly asked, "Do they make guns a girl can shoot?" My pants got tighter. The family that shoots together, stays together.

Jim

Word!

A lady friend of mine from out of state came to visit around Halloween we went out to the range. She brought her Kimber Ultra Carry Raptor, and I had my Taurus 1911. I didn't think we'd go through 500 rounds that fast. That little Kimber reminds me of the "Noisy Cricket" from Men in Black. lol

This week, she's taking her son to the range for his first live fire outing. Her dad, who was a firearms instructor in the military, will be going with them, so they'll have three generations of the family there together. Awwww.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Something else to think about before buying. I recently traded in my semi auto handguns Kel Tek 9mm, Bryco 380. I got Smith & Wesson model 37 revolvers About the same size and weight, but only 5 shots. There hammerless so no hammer to catch in a holster or pocket and no safety. What Id found is that getting older, my grip was getting weaker and it was getting very hard to pull the slide back or even load clips on semi autos. Greatest part is S&W is currently having a nearly 1/2 price sale with a $50 rebate also. The ones I got were less than $250 each brand new and dirt cheap with my trade ins. Another downside of autos are if you leave them loaded for long, the springs in the clip weaken and can cause jams. My buddy also has a Kel Tek thats jammed a few times. A revolver will never jam, even if it missfires, just keep pulling the trigger. I also got some reloaders that you preload with shells that only take a few more seconds to change than an auto clip.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-29-2010).]

fierowitch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierowitchSend a Private Message to fierowitchDirect Link to This Post

Jim

You may want to rethink those tighter pants. Remember once she learns how to use the handgun you buy, you can be turned from a rooster to a hen with one shot(LOL) Really!!!!!!!!!!
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
some small community colleges have classes, or atleast here they do, cuz technically in nc you have to take the course before getting a concealed weapons permit (knowing the sherriff can be a good thing),, also i dunno much about it but u can get kits to make guns such as a 1911 into a .22 for target practice
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

also you cant go wrong with a model 1911 or 1911 A1

This.

~ Derek

[This message has been edited by Derek_85GT (edited 12-29-2010).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

I am a die hard 1911 fanatic, but I will have to disagree with this in this case. 1911's are excellent for experienced shooters, but not too great for a beginner, especially for a carry weapon. The reason I have this opinion is the trigger is too light for someone who doesnt shoot/practice regularly, it is very easy to have an accidental discharge in a tense situation. When your adrennylin takes over you could accidentally fire some extra shots in the wrong direction. For a carry gun a 1911 must be carried "Condition 1" that is one in the chamber, hammer back, safety on. If you dont have one in the chamber or the hammer back you will need to ask your attacker to wait a second while you ready your weapon ! Carrying Condition one takes regular checking all 3 of the safties are in good working order, so you need good knowledgo of the guns design and function.

I will always vote revolver or DAO for a newer shooter. No safties to think about when the stuff hits the fan, and its not going to fire unless you really wanted to pull that trigger. Someone said Glocks dont have a safety, that is because it is inherent in the design and does not need any external safety. The Springfield XD actually has 4 and the Glocks have 3 that i know of, but i'm not a Glock guy.

Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post
I have kind of an interesting question since I see a few Glock posts here. I never really liked the idea of not being able to release the hammer manually with a round in the chamber. That is why I stayed away from the Glock. It seems that as soon as you **** the gun, the hammer is internal and you cannot manually release it without firing a round or emptying the clip whereas with external hammers, you can release it by hand with a round remaining safely in the chamber. Is that correct or does the Glock offer some type of release mechanism or just the safety?

Edit to add......apparently the word c*ck gets censored so you know what I mean

[This message has been edited by Jackdaniels (edited 12-29-2010).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierowitch:

You may want to rethink those tighter pants. Remember once she learns how to use the handgun you buy, you can be turned from a rooster to a hen with one shot(LOL) Really!!!!!!!!!!

This rooster behaves himself, so no worries there.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jackdaniels:

I have kind of an interesting question since I see a few Glock posts here. I never really liked the idea of not being able to release the hammer manually with a round in the chamber. That is why I stayed away from the Glock. It seems that as soon as you **** the gun, the hammer is internal and you cannot manually release it without firing a round or emptying the clip whereas with external hammers, you can release it by hand with a round remaining safely in the chamber. Is that correct or does the Glock offer some type of release mechanism or just the safety?

The internal mechanism has a firing pin block which blocks the firing pin from moving foreward. It "falls" out of the way after the trigger has been pulled about half travel. The safety on the trigger blocks the trigger from being pushed back without a proper firing grip, full finger on the trigger.

Glocks and other DAO handguns have been proven safer then traditional designs through mant tests, that is the reason most law enforcement has gone to the DOA design for thier officers.

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 12-29-2010).]

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Take the wife to your classes. Anybody in the home with a gun should know how to safely handle the thing. Before I got married had guns ( mainly pistols) and my now wife wouldn't come into the same room with a gun. I persuaded her to come down to the range with me and I handed her off to one of the instructors. After about 4 trips to the range she told me what make and caliber she wouldn't mind owning. (S&W mod 18 ) Since then we both became certified NRA instructors and shot on an indoor 22 cal pistol league for over 30 years. We have since quit competitive shooting but she still has her S&W mod 41. BTW she was just 1/2 point shy of getting her Master qualification

But back to the safety thing - the wife should know how to check and see if any gun you have is unloaded and be able to put it away properly and how to use it
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post

or you can drop the clip out then pull the slide back and the one in the chamber will pop out leaving none in the chamber, but that would leave it cocked and dry fireing isnt good for guns i think
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

Take the wife to your classes. Anybody in the home with a gun should know how to safely handle the thing. Before I got married had guns ( mainly pistols) and my now wife wouldn't come into the same room with a gun. I persuaded her to come down to the range with me and I handed her off to one of the instructors. After about 4 trips to the range she told me what make and caliber she wouldn't mind owning. (S&W mod 18 ) Since then we both became certified NRA instructors and shot on an indoor 22 cal pistol league for over 30 years. We have since quit competitive shooting but she still has her S&W mod 41. BTW she was just 1/2 point shy of getting her Master qualification

But back to the safety thing - the wife should know how to check and see if any gun you have is unloaded and be able to put it away properly and how to use it

Great points, and will be used as "ammo", to convince the wife to shoot. Pluses to all that haven't already got em.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 12-29-2010).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Why would you want to manually drop the hammer with a round in the chamber? If you're trying to "safe" the weapon, you want to remove that round, so remove the magazine and cycle the slide - it will eject the round in the chamber.

In a single action semi-auto like the 1911, loading a round in the chamber and then lowering the hammer means you can't fire the weapon until you manually pull the hammer back or rack the slide again (wasting the round in the chamber).
BlackFieroz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackFierozSend a Private Message to BlackFierozDirect Link to This Post
I keep a 357 under my pillow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2N1q1XaHo
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Cocked, locked and ready to rock is the term for a 1911 with a round cambered and the safety on. You could hit that hammer with a hammer and it will never fire. Dam good dependable gun.

As is the Glock but that has no external hammer to mess with, or worry about getting caught on clothing when you draw it. Melanie’s brother was a Palm Beach FL. Cop when we bought her first one in TN. He recommended it but he also said not to get her the 45 version because of her size, to much kick. She loves hers.

Notice the trigger inside a trigger.

Glock® Handguns offer optimum solutions for your professional requirements. Each Glock® pistol provides the same Glock® advantages to ensure safe handling of your Glock® gun. These advantages include:
"Safe Action" Trigger System: A partly-tensioned firing pin lock that moves further back by the trigger bar when the trigger is pulled.
Firing Pin Safety: A solid hardened steel pin which, in the secured state, blocks the firing pin channel, rendering the igniting of a chambered cartridge by the firing pin impossible.
Drop Safety: Prevents unintentional firing of a shot through hard impact, or when the Glock® pistol is dropped.
Psychology: Glock® offers one simple psychological safety feature, finger away from trigger safety on, finger on trigger, safety off.
Tenifer: Glock® parts are coated in a Tenifer process that achieves a degree of hardness that comes close to that of a diamond.
Polymer: Glock® pistol grips come coated with a Glock® hi-tech polymer coating that.
Barrel Profile: Solid, cold-hammered barrels with Tenifer coating and rounded interior profiles.
Loaded Chamber Indicator: Trigger forward (safety activated); Trigger pulled (safety deactivated); the extractor also serves as a loaded chamber indicator.
Mounting Rails: Glock® offers the user the possibility of modular-mounting a wide range of weapon accessories on the pistol.
Quality: Glock® pistols have been designed to operate without compromise in extreme conditions
http://www.glockworld.com/c...y/869-Glock_9mm.aspx

We have never had a misfire or jam in any way and we have used it a lot.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Great points, and will be used as "ammo", to convince the wife to shoot. Pluses to all that haven't already got em.

Jim

Maybe I missed it.
Jim--have you ever owned and used a handgun--by 'used', I mean firdd one enough to have a preference, and more importantly, a "feel" for one?
If the answer is 'no', then you should start going to a range, and finding a way to try as many different weapons as you can before plopping down your $ on one based just from what you get handling it in a gunshop. While it is certainly possible to get used to "anything", and even proficient with it, there is also nothing worse than buying one, getting it home and after a hundred rounds, realize you absolutely hate the thing.
It's a whole lot easier when the weapon fits YOU, instead of you having to adapt to fit IT.

I don't currently own a handgun but i have had several in the past, and I personally like the Colt 1911, but I learned to use one early in life.
And for me, like my automobiles, if I am going to plop down serious money for a weapon, the #1 priority is that it HAS to be a USA brand. (I do own an SKS, but it was a gift from my brother.)
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
Don't do it man.. don't kill yourself on Christmas it's not worth it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock