Started on: 02-18-2012 10:49 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Khw on 02-19-2012 02:46 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
Took my son to see it today.

It was pretty bad. For 5 or 10 small moments, the 3d was "good". The rest was "meh". I KNOW it wasn't filmed in 3d, but it was kinda "meh". The pod race scene was ok, and the Darth Maul fights were good stuff, but all the "ughs" that were there the first time around were still there.(heh like they WOULDN'T be?)
...and it's nearly 2 1/2 hours long. That's a lot of Jar-Jar, the blatantly Asian aliens, and a ton of bad acting and dialog.

At least HE enjoyed it.

I'll stick w/ 4- 5-6. 'Hero's Journey" stuff. Son/Father confrontation.

But admittedly, Darth Maul WAS pretty badass...

You gonna see it?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Not any more.
Thanx.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
This just about sums up my feelings on the matter:

1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I saw it this past week... in all sincerity I think episodes 2 and 3 are better than episode 1... though 4-6 are the best....
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

This just about sums up my feelings on the matter:

HA- that was perfect- thanks
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangDirect Link to This Post
I'm a fairly big star wars fan but for the life of me I couldn't really figure out why anybody would really want to go see THIS movie again, let alone because of some "adapted" 3D effects...

but that's just my opinion...
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Just watch Episode 6 on Blu-Ray today with by kids.

Why does animatronics, people suited in wart hog costumes, midgets in tribal bear costumes seem so much more real than CGI?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Shyster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShysterClick Here to visit Shyster's HomePageSend a Private Message to ShysterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
Took my son to see it today.
It was pretty bad. For 5 or 10 small moments, the 3d was "good". The rest was "meh". I KNOW it wasn't filmed in 3d, but it was kinda "meh". The pod race scene was ok, and the Darth Maul fights were good stuff, but all the "ughs" that were there the first time around were still there.(heh like they WOULDN'T be?)
...and it's nearly 2 1/2 hours long. That's a lot of Jar-Jar, the blatantly Asian aliens, and a ton of bad acting and dialog.
At least HE enjoyed it.
I'll stick w/ 4- 5-6. 'Hero's Journey" stuff. Son/Father confrontation.
But admittedly, Darth Maul WAS pretty badass...
You gonna see it?

Not a chance. It's not just that Lucas isn't much of a storyteller. (Special effects, he's over the top, but storytelling, sadly, not so.) Even 4-6 had weird gaps when you'd think "why did that just happen?" until later in the film, when at least part of the story was filled in, or you had enough information to reasonably guess at the reason. After you've watched it two or three times, you forget the illogical leaps in the storyline, because by then you had learned the later stuff that made the earlier stuff make sense, and have caught up enough of the vague references to things that should have been said earlier.

1-3 were worse. All the sudden, everyone's talking about "Count Ducu," or whatever his name was, as though he were a major character. Except the audience had never heard of him, before. (Uh, George, wanna put this in context?). Natalie Portman's inability to act was exposed. And "Kalone" suddenly has one syllable, "Clone," instead of two.

Go back and listen to Ep 4, when Obi Wan tells young Luke, "I fought in the 'Ka'lone' wars with your father." It was a two-syllable word, then. But even if it were the "Clone Wars," espisodes 1-3 make it clear that the clone wars were the treason of the Sith against the Republic, and that Darth Vader was an integral part of that treason.

So Obi-Wan would not have fought alongside (thought he might have fought "with") Luke's father in those wars. (Interesting double-entendre).

I could accept 4-6 as fairy tales, told reasonably well (not very well, but reasonably so). 1-3 were badly-told follow-ons, in the (apparently successful) hope that people would keep giving him money.

So no, we're not going to see it.
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2012 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Obi-wan most certainly fought along side Anakin in the clone wars. The Clone Wars are about all the other planets leaving the Republic. Remember all the battles of droids vs jedi/clones? It ended when the emperor/clones take over and kill all the Jedi
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how long until George makes the "revised 3D" and "updated revised 3D" and "tweaked updated revised 3D", just to groan at the fans' inability to put up with all the revisionism, and finally makes the "OK you fools, this is the final cut" version?

I was a big Star Wars fan, until George started throwing his gut around. In one of his recent statements, he basically gave the Star Wars fans a big "F You!" Maybe he should be more grateful to the people who made him filthy rich.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
George Lucas has jumped the shark.

Jim
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-19-2012 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

You gonna see it?

No plans on it. Its sad how they are milking the series.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-19-2012 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Wichita:

Just watch Episode 6 on Blu-Ray today with by kids.

Why does animatronics, people suited in wart hog costumes, midgets in tribal bear costumes seem so much more real than CGI?

They are real objects, with real people inside them, for one..
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Money changes everything.
No I wont be going to see it. I also think the hype over 3d is too much anyway, it makes my eyes very tired and if its a real long movie it gives me a head ache. If its an option I always go to the 2d version because I want to enjoy the movie not sit an worry about getting a headache
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-19-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Money changes everything.
No I wont be going to see it. I also think the hype over 3d is too much anyway, it makes my eyes very tired and if its a real long movie it gives me a head ache. If its an option I always go to the 2d version because I want to enjoy the movie not sit an worry about getting a headache

Seems that 20 mins is too long for me. Migraine...

I waited forever to try my first, went to see Tron in 3D.. regretted it for 2 days afterwards. Last parts of the movie were a blur due to my head hurting and wanting it to be over. When i got it on disc later and watched it at home: 'cool, i missed that part'..
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
It's easy money maker for studios.

"3D" is a giant scam. Most are "FakeD"... Most "3D" films are shot in 2D and extra steps is done in post editing.
See Why I Hate 3-D (And You Should Too) Roger Ebert at thedailybeast

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
When I read an interview article on George Lucas who basically said that he really wanted Greedo to shoot first so he re-did that in the updated edit version of Star Wars, I think he really lost his cred right there.

People say that 4, 5 & 6 were good, but now that I watch them again, they really are not that good.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

When I read an interview article on George Lucas who basically said that he really wanted Greedo to shoot first so he re-did that in the updated edit version of Star Wars, I think he really lost his cred right there.

People say that 4, 5 & 6 were good, but now that I watch them again, they really are not that good.

You want to take them in context of when they were done. Back then they were great.

Sort of like Tron 1, today its dismal if you compare to what we can now do, but in 1982 it was amazing. ( tho i still love it ) Or Star Trek, etc etc.. Anything that has stood the test of time will unfortunately age..
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
See, and episode one is my favorite. Honestly I never understood the all the hate. I mean you got the veey cool and exciting Pod Race, very cool and exciting Darth Maul, Cool Gungan underwater city and battle scenes, Qui-Gon is the rebel bad boy of the Jedi, a decoy queen (which totally fooled me the first time), and on top of that I don't think Jar Jar is a terrible character.

Now was the 3D worth it? Probably not, but then again the movie wasn't designed with 3D in mind like Avatar or Tron.

What WAS woth it for me was just seeing it on the big screen.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

See, and episode one is my favorite. Honestly I never understood the all the hate. I mean you got the veey cool and exciting Pod Race, very cool and exciting Darth Maul, Cool Gungan underwater city and battle scenes, Qui-Gon is the rebel bad boy of the Jedi, a decoy queen (which totally fooled me the first time), and on top of that I don't think Jar Jar is a terrible character.

Now was the 3D worth it? Probably not, but then again the movie wasn't designed with 3D in mind like Avatar or Tron.

What WAS woth it for me was just seeing it on the big screen.

just wondering -

How old are you?
How old were you when you FIRST saw it?

I like the last 3 because they are more of the traditional "hero myth". the first three were more the "descent of the father" or "descent of the hero"
To me, Luke was the central character, not Anakin/Vader. Guess it's a matter of perspective.
PFF
System Bot
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
Well, just to be clear I do like 4,5,6 better than 2 and 3 but one is just my favorite for the reasons listed

[This message has been edited by BlackEmrald (edited 02-19-2012).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I may go see it tonight.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I think they flipped a coin to see which side got Jar-Jar and the good guys lost the toss.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

Well, just to be clear I do like 4,5,6 better than 2 and 3 but one is just my favorite for the reasons listed

I was just curious as to your age when you first saw PM... I was a kid when a new hope came out... watching 123456 is a different experience then 456123...

BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
While I am young, I did see 456 before 123.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I was 12 when I saw the first movie back in 1977 It changed my life... for a little while, until I turned 14 and girls were all I could think of
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I was the first time my kids got to see a Star Wars movie in the Theater so I took them, but I sure wish they didn't start with the absolute WORST of the 6 films.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm glad to see others here that don't like 3D. It makes my head hurt also and gets me nausious. I can handle short bursts of it, like "Hunny I Shrunk The Audiance" or "Captain Eo". Anything much longer then that though and I can't handle it.

As to Star Wars PM. I enjoyed it more then the following 2, but putting Samuel L Jackson in them killed them all for me...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock