Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Dodge is bringing back the Dart (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Dodge is bringing back the Dart by rstubie
Started on: 12-07-2011 09:33 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: blackrams on 01-10-2012 11:02 PM
rstubie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rstubieSend a Private Message to rstubieDirect Link to This Post
The early release pics look pretty good. Mini Charger-esk.
Just a bit surprised as I dont really remember the Dart being very exciting. Like Ford bring back the Pinto name.
It's the replacement for the Caliber.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
My father had a '69 Dodge Dart GTS back in the early seventies. It had a 318 V8, bucket seats, custom dual carb intake, 4 with speed Hurst shifter kit, was lowered a had a straight exhaust system. It was pretty bad ass back then.
The 318-ci V8 was rated at 230 horsepower and 340 ft.-lbs. torque stock. My father's car wasn't stock. I got to drive it a few times around the block when I was "putting it in the garage". I would put it in first, rev the engine up to about 1500 rpms and it could smoke the tires all day long when I popped the clucth.
The regular Darts were a pretty tame car and had a bulletproof slant six in them.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 12-07-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't the Dart a mid-sized sedan?

Brad
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
Based off the Alfa and is to get 40mpg with a 9spd auto.
Automotive News reports that the key to the Dodge Dart’s 40 mpg highway rating will be its Fiat-derived six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, bolted to a choice of three fuel efficient inline-fours. As we previously reported, the three engine choices are a 2.0-liter and 2.4-liter “Tigershark” I-4, and a turbocharged 1.4-liter “Fire” I-4 that see’s duty in the pint-sized Fiat 500 Abarth.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2...7.html#ixzz1fuKm0IM3
http://content.usatoday.com...-2013-dart-compact/1

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
IMHO that ^^^^^ is UUUUUGgly
The Dart Demon 340 V8 would get your attention. Early Darts were a little blah-Zea. But they were developed into smaller muscle cars toward the end of production.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/...9%2C0%2C0/photo.aspx

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 12-07-2011).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Automotive News reports that the key to the Dodge Dart’s 40 mpg highway rating will be its Fiat-derived six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, bolted to a choice of three fuel efficient inline-fours. As we previously reported, the three engine choices are a 2.0-liter and 2.4-liter “Tigershark” I-4, and a turbocharged 1.4-liter “Fire” I-4 that see’s duty in the pint-sized Fiat 500 Abarth.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2...7.html#ixzz1fuKm0IM3
http://content.usatoday.com...-2013-dart-compact/1

That kind of reminds me of what Pontiac did to the Lemans name in the 80's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7KIItNu6U

Nothing is sacred!
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

I'm not trying to sound negative here, but they are basing it off a car known for breaking down?

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Bringing back the Dart? That news just sent Christina Applegate into rehab.
1974 Dodge Dart--The Bundy Mobile--Al Bundy's "The Mighty Dodge" in Married with Children--but even tho they proclaimed it to be a Dart in several episodes, in reality, the show had to use a '72 Plymouth Duster, because (alledgedly) no relaibly running Dodge Dart could be easily found.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-07-2011).]

Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I'm not trying to sound negative here, but they are basing it off a car known for breaking down?

Brad

Based off the Alfa BUT they will be using the engines out of the FIAT 500.
I just browsed through a fiat 500 forum and in a 5min search it seems people are really pleased with their engines.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
To me, it's like Ford saying they're gonna bring back the Maverick.

Cool?
Gtdhw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GtdhwSend a Private Message to GtdhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

That kind of reminds me of what Pontiac did to the Lemans name in the 80's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7KIItNu6U

Nothing is sacred!

And what Chevy did the Nova did in the '80's.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Cool?

Could be. They have a bit of a cult following. Kind of like those little mid engine GM firetraps.

The new Dart will be nothing like the old one, but I'm betting it will be a decent car. I hope that Dodge sells a sh!t ton of them.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Cool?

Oh heck yeah!! The only vehicle I ever saw that could turn to rust----in the sun belt.
(I had one--Grabber paint with a 302 in it.)
No matter- it was still a Maverick.
Gtdhw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GtdhwSend a Private Message to GtdhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Oh heck yeah!! The only vehicle I ever saw that could turn to rust---in the sun belt

Oh c'mon now, you're forgetting the Chevy Vega.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Could be. They have a bit of a cult following. Kind of like those little mid engine GM firetraps.

The new Dart will be nothing like the old one, but I'm betting it will be a decent car. I hope that Dodge sells a sh!t ton of them.

I'm sure it will be, too. Probably won't be unattractive, either. Dodge has a way of turning "normal" cars into "cool" cars, kinda like Pontiac used to do before the later 90's and on.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gtdhw:

Well,-------I was TRYING to.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gtdhw:

Heh, sometime I will scan off picks of the one Mom was driving right before I was born.

Brad
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Heh, sometime I will scan off picks of the one Mom was driving right before I was born.

Brad

Then you popped out, made a mess, and it "returned to earth??"
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
I've read on allpar that a 285 hp SRT 4 is planned as well. I am thrilled that the Dart name is coming back, just wish it were RWD.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

WhiteDevil88

8518 posts
Member since Mar 2007
Reading up on the latest, a nine speed automatic transmission will be available later.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
whats with chrysler coming out with these high numbered transmissions? they have an 8 speed already that i forgot what its in but it only get 31 mpg...i mean come on the fiero had a 4 speed that got 40 mpg...really.....REALLY?

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 12-08-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

whats with chrysler coming out with these high numbered transmissions? they have an 8 speed already that i forgot what its in but it only get 31 mpg...i mean come on the fiero had a 4 speed that got 40 mpg...really.....REALLY?

Yeah, but aren't they getting those mpg's from a much bigger, more powerful engine than our little 95hp 2.5's? I think that many gears is ridiculous but there seems to be something to this.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
ya but my dad was getting 30 mpg from his cadi 4.9....before i frankenstiened it into my fiero MUAHAHAH!!! but no seriously he was getting around 30 mpg he drove like an old person that drives slow and has helium in thier foot.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Love those tailights. Thats about it.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I gotta be honest, I don't care what they bring back or what they call it or how it is powered or equipped but, that is pure FUGLY.

------------------
Ron
The key thing is to wake up breathing! All the rest can be fixed. (Except Stupid - You can't fix that)

Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
In an odd way, I think it is cool. Why? I remember when I was very young my grandmother had a 76 Dodge Dart Swinger 2 door, maroon in color with a white vinyl top. I thought it was a cool car. She eventually had to get rid of it in the very early 90's because the frame cracked on it. I know the car itself is nothing special, but it brings back a lot of good memories.

I do not have a digital picture of it, but found a similar car...

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Brad

You don't "sound" negative, but you do appear to be massively uninformed. The Alfa Giulietta is an award winning car in Europe. I am interested in seeing your evidence that it is a car "known for breaking down". Like a Fiero is "known for catching on fire".
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

WhiteDevil88

8518 posts
Member since Mar 2007

Originally posted by Fformula88:

In an odd way, I think it is cool. Why? I remember when I was very young my grandmother had a 76 Dodge Dart Swinger 2 door, maroon in color with a white vinyl top. I thought it was a cool car. She eventually had to get rid of it in the very early 90's because the frame cracked on it. I know the car itself is nothing special, but it brings back a lot of good memories.

I do not have a digital picture of it, but found a similar car...

Grandma couldn't have had a 76 Swinger. They stopped making Swingers in 1975...

WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

WhiteDevil88

8518 posts
Member since Mar 2007

Originally posted by blackrams:

I gotta be honest, I don't care what they bring back or what they call it or how it is powered or equipped but, that is pure FUGLY.

It is replacing the much unloved Caliber. I think my dogs ass looks better then the Caliber.
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Grandma couldn't have had a 76 Swinger. They stopped making Swingers in 1975...

Really? I can find 76 Swingers online.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

IMHO that ^^^^^ is UUUUUGgly
The Dart Demon 340 V8 would get your attention. Early Darts were a little blah-Zea. But they were developed into smaller muscle cars toward the end of production.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/...9%2C0%2C0/photo.aspx

The Dart Swinger 340 was total baddazz. It was what was then a compact car. Coronet was the mid size. Big Mopars were the Fury, Polara, New Yorker, 300. Many a fast Mustang and Camaro had there clocks cleaned by the 340. 340s were in the same class as Boss Mustangs and Z28s.

PFF
System Bot
rstubie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rstubieSend a Private Message to rstubieDirect Link to This Post
I had neighbor with a Dart when I was a child. Seemed just so blah. However had the neighbor across the street that owned a Plymouth GTX.
not sure what year his was but they only made them from 67 to 74 and his was prior to 71 cause it was the boxier looking body with the super commando 440.
Now I was maybe 10 years old and the car probably as old as I was but I thought that car was so cool. I was never a big fan of the Mopar stuff but that car was pretty cool. I can still remember seeing the 150mph speedo.. Of course when your kids you think the speedo tells you how fast a car can go.

The Swinger version was just designation for the two door Dart. Which is something car companies seem to be getting away from offering their vehicles in both 2 door and 4 door versions. I think a 2 door Charger would sell.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

It isn't about the number of gears but the gear ratios involved. The idea with having more gears is to have the ratios spaced closer together so you can be in the appropriate power range for the situation. When you can use "enough" power to maintain momentum at all times -without going overboard- you can make a larger vehicle more efficient overall. No need to turn crazy revs, and no lugging is a good thing.

Add to that a turbocharged or direct injection system and you've got a recipe for a fun economy car.
Look at what Mazda is doing with their Skyactiv models for a clue to this idea.

All that being said, I don't want a rebadged (likely front wheel drive) Alfa chassis... I want rear wheel drive. I want a Brera.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 12-08-2011).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Brad

No, they're not basing it off a Fiero.
1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I dunno... I kinda like the look of it... let's just hope it's reliable and doesn't start to rot out right away... But of course those DST transmissions are still a little iffy... look at all the problems Ford is having with theirs in their cars....

------------------
Visit my new internet forum:

www.christianforums.co - It needs actively engaged members....

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
The Dart Swinger 340 was total baddazz. It was what was then a compact car. Coronet was the mid size. Big Mopars were the Fury, Polara, New Yorker, 300. Many a fast Mustang and Camaro had there clocks cleaned by the 340. 340s were in the same class as Boss Mustangs and Z28s.

I've owned MANY Mopars over the years.

I had a '70 340 Duster - 3 speed stick 3.91 rear gears. Many a local racer saw my tailights & gained new respect for Mopars in my neck of the woods (which is mostly GM).

I also owned 2 1971 Darts, a 1973 Plymouth Scamp, a 1973 Plymouth Valiant 4 door, & a 1974 Plymouth Duster. All were 6 cylinder except the 1974, which was a 318.

Drivetrains were all bulletproof, but don't ask about rust.

The Dodge Dart actually started out in the early 60's as a full-size car. They were at the prime of ugliness, but had some awesome drivetrains.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Got all excited!! Then, when I googled the Dart I was thinking of...it is a Daimler Dart, notorious because the Police in the UK bought 2 to patrol the newly-opened M1 Motorway. WHat an excuse
Now if they brought THIS version back...I would get excited

Sorry to inadvertently hijack the thread( ), but if anybody wants to read about this car, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_SP250
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 12-08-2011).]

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
http://americanclassicars.com/dodge-gts/

Cannot get pip to work anymore.. no idea why. Anyhow, the orange 67 Dart GT on that page is an incredible looking machine.

I think the new ones are fugly.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post12-08-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

http://americanclassicars.com/dodge-gts/

Cannot get pip to work anymore.. no idea why. Anyhow, the orange 67 Dart GT on that page is an incredible looking machine.

I think the new ones are fugly.

The early 60's were cool looking and were no slouch. This new one, well is a dart in name only.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I think the smaller Dart started in 62 and was a sister to the Plymouth Valiant. The baddest Swingers in 69-70 had the bumblebee stripe with Swinger cut into it. As far as Bundy's, it didnt make much difference only thing that wasnt the same between the Duster and Dart/Demon was the grill stamping, tail lites and badges.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock