Started on: 11-15-2011 09:26 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Jackdaniels on 11-16-2011 09:53 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

http://games.yahoo.com/blog...-suit-211025773.html
By Ben Silverman | Plugged In – Mon, Nov 14, 2011 4:10 PM EST

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals might be barking up the wrong mushroom.

On Monday, the controversial organization issued a press release attacking iconic Nintendo mascot Mario for wearing a 'Tanooki' suit in his latest adventure, the Nintendo 3DS game Super Mario 3D Land, which hit shelves on Sunday.

"Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur," PETA says.

The raccoon-like suit, which grants Mario the ability to glide across the screen, has been a part of the franchise since first appearing as a power-up in 1988's Super Mario Bros. 3. In the new game, Mario acquires the suit not by doing something lousy to a Tanooki, but by snagging a Super Leaf.

Still, PETA insists this encourages animal abuse.

"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free."

To help prove their point, PETA has even commissioned a crude parody video game called "Super Tanooki Skin 2D" in which players try to re-capture their skin from a flying Mario (Warning: Kind of disturbing, and totally not fun.)

It's just the latest in a long line of PETA game complaints. In 2008 they went after Cooking Mama for not being a vegetarian, while just last year they parodied challenging downloadable platform hit Super Meat Boy for starring a piece of raw meat.

Nintendo has yet to comment, though we're pretty sure it will sound like a hand slapping a forehead.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Where were the animal lovers back when Super Mario World 3 came out? The Tanooki suit was by FAR my favorite power-up in that epic NES adventure. Followed closely by stealing a Goomba shoe.

But really, if they have enough time in their days to complain about something like this:

they need to find a new hobby.

theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
And he always hurts the turtles!!!

Idiots.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

PETA has some serious issues - seriously. They're only about twenty three years late in protesting that. Has anyone making the decisions there even played one of the greatest digital gaming masterpieces of the Nintendo Entertainment System that is Super Mario Bros. 3? Amazing they have nothing else better to protest than a fictional digital character in a game that will quickly be pushed aside when Nintendo brings out the next Mario game next month like they seem to do now with the Wii and 3DS.

PETA are also telling children not to eat turkey this Thanksgiving.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
well clearly they havent seen his frog suit.....
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

well clearly they havent seen his frog suit.....

That's my third favorite power-up!

I'm gonna have to boot up the NES emulator and play through that game again, so nostalgic!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:
I'm gonna have to boot up the NES emulator and play through that game again, so nostalgic!

Emulator?!?!

I got SMB 3 Christmas '88. Begged for it for two months. I remember I stayed up the night of the 26th and 27th playing it straight. I was five then. Great parents, huh?

I still got it around, sans the box and instruction booklet...
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
i have all the old games i a huge video game collector altho i dont go crazy buying thousand dollar games but i even use an emulator its just more reliable and dont wear out the games.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Emulator?!?!

I got SMB 3 Christmas '88. Begged for it for two months. I remember I stayed up the night of the 26th and 27th playing it straight. I was five then. Great parents, huh?

I still got it around, sans the box and instruction booklet...

I was/am a deprived child. I have never owned any sort of gaming system... other than a Gameboy Color for the Pokemon R/B craze in 4th/5th grade.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Wow.... Do they realize how STUPID that makes them sound, and how damanging for the organization issueing retarded statements like that is? (Not to mention horribly behind the times)

I would also questoin the legitimacy of thier claims, why would an animal be "often" skinned alive, or ever for that matter. Try just bathing a cat, and explain to me how the hell you are going to skin any animal alive, and better yet, why you ever would, its going to die anyway, not like it will regrow its skin. Making bullshit claims like that is also why no one takes them seriously anymore.

Democrats... :WTF:
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Nintendo should give PETA a lifetime subscription to Meatpaper Magazine as a "peace offering".
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Wow.... Do they realize how STUPID that makes them sound, and how damanging for the organization issueing retarded statements like that is? (Not to mention horribly behind the times)

You mean it makes them sound any stupider then telling children not to eat turkey? I mean from what I'm told they ask would you eat your dog? Well that's no different then eating a turkey. Except... I didn't go to WinCo and buy my dog frozen in the meat section. I didn't raise my turkey inside my home and yard for several years calling it Floppy or Gizmo or something.

Not to mention sueing Sea World for the Orca's claiming the 13th amendment gives them freedom from slavery also.

PETA is a joke and has been a joke for awhile. Sure they may have accomplished some good at some point but they seem like monkeys flinging poo. Eventually some of it is going to stick to the cage bars...
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

PETA is a joke and has been a joke for awhile. Sure they may have accomplished some good at some point but they seem like monkeys flinging poo. Eventually some of it is going to stick to the cage bars...

It's not the cage bars they're aiming for. It's the keepers and gawkers on the other side of the bars they want to hit.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
If someone sells a game where you go around whacking baby fur seals, I'd get into gaming just to piss off PETA.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

If someone sells a game where you go around whacking baby fur seals, I'd get into gaming just to piss off PETA.

I've contemplated creating games of this nature, but I fear the repercussions...

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

It's not baby seals but you can whack a bloody penguin.

http://www.maxgames.com/pla...y-penguin-throw.html
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post
???What the hell is wrong with people today.

[This message has been edited by Jackdaniels (edited 11-16-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock