Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  One less GOP candidate in the presidential race? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
One less GOP candidate in the presidential race? by carnut122
Started on: 10-31-2011 08:11 PM
Replies: 63
Last post by: carnut122 on 11-30-2011 09:32 PM
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Herman Cain Addresses Sexual Harassment Settlement
In an interview airing on Fox News on Monday night, Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain says that a financial settlement was paid to one of two women who accused him of sexual harassment while he was serving as head of the National Restaurant Association over a decade ago.

However, in responding to the accusations in question earlier in the day, the former Godfather's Pizza CEO said, "I have never sexually harassed anyone and those accusations are totally false ... It was concluded, after a thorough investigation, that it had no basis." He added, "I am unaware of any sort of settlement."

HuffPost's Jon Ward relays background on the controversy and on what Cain had to say on the matter at the National Press Club in Washington D.C.:

Cain entered the Press Club less than 24 hours after Politico reported that the former Godfather's Pizza CEO and head of the National Restaurant Association was accused of sexual harassment by two unnamed women at the association. The charges were not detailed but Politico reported that both women received payments as settlement. NBC News reported Monday that they had independently confirmed a settlement with one of the two women.
Cain was not asked how he could have been unaware of a settlement if he knew the results of an investigation into the charges. He said that once the charges were brought against him he recused himself from the investigation.

And he added that he does not want the NRA to confirm or deny the settlements, or give any information at all about the incidents.

According to Politico, nondisclosure agreements were included in the settlements received by the women who made the allegations in question against Cain.

Byron York at the Washington Examiner reports:

When [Fox News host Greta] van Susteren asked about that, Cain said, "My general counsel said this started out where she and her lawyer were demanding a huge financial settlement…I don't remember a number…But then he said because there was no basis for this, we ended up settling for what would have been a termination settlement." When van Susteren asked how much money was involved, Cain said. "Maybe three months' salary. I don't remember. It might have been two months. I do remember my general counsel saying we didn't pay all of the money they demanded."

Cain's campaign has pushed back against the initial report released by Politico. During an interview on Fox News on Monday, the GOP contender said, "If the restaurant did a settle I wasn't even aware of it." He added, "And I hope it wasn't for much because nothing happened. So if there was a settlement it was handled by some of the other officers that worked for me at the Association."

The Hill reports that the presidential campaigns of Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney denied any involvement in pushing the story on the sexual allegations into the spotlight.

During an interview that aired on PBS' NewsHour on Monday night, Judy Woodruff pressed Cain on some of the details included in the Politico report. Here's an excerpt of the exchange:

JUDY WOODRUFF: And there was some mention of a hotel room at a convention or at a meeting. Did any one of these women, were they ever asked to meet you, or....

HERMAN CAIN: That I absolutely do not recall. You know, I have no recollection of that.

According to the report from Politico:

On the details of Cain’s allegedly inappropriate behavior with the two women, Politico has a half-dozen sources shedding light on different aspects of the complaints.

The sources — including the recollections of close associates and other documentation — describe episodes that left the women upset and offended. These incidents include conversations allegedly filled with innuendo or personal questions of a sexually suggestive nature, taking place at hotels during conferences, at other officially sanctioned restaurant association events and at the association’s offices. There were also descriptions of physical gestures that were not overtly sexual but that made women who experienced or witnessed them uncomfortable and that they regarded as improper in a professional relationship.

Asked by Woodruff if he demonstrated any behavior he believes "might have been inappropriate," Cain responded, "In my opinion, no. But as you would imagine, it's in the eye of the person who thinks that maybe I crossed the line." He added, "I worked for the Department of the Navy, the Coca-Cola Company, Pillsbury, Burger King, Godfather's Pizza -- years and years and years of working in the business environment, working around men, women, all types of people -- never, never accused of any sort of sexual harassment. I have never sexually harassed anyone. And so this false allegation to now come up is kind of baffling."

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 10-31-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I suspect you are writing Mr. Cain's obituary a bit too soon.

------------------
Ron
"While you cannot control the length of your life, you can control the width and depth." Live life to it's fullest, you may not see tomorrow.

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I suspect he will flame out over content rather than this.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

I suspect he will flame out over content rather than this.

You may be correct, something like this surely didn't stop Gov. Clinton from moving on.

------------------
Ron
"While you cannot control the length of your life, you can control the width and depth." Live life to it's fullest, you may not see tomorrow.

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

You may be correct, something like this surely didn't stop Gov. Clinton from moving on.

Opportunity knocks.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
My oldest son got hit with allegations of sexual harassment.

This girl at work who he had no interest in kept hitting on him.
He asked me what he should do.
I told him to tell her he was flattered but had no interest in going out with her.
She was really pissed and later went to his boss and claimed he was coming on to her.
He told his side and they ruled against him.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Bill Clinton survived sexual harassment charges both before his election and while he was in office. Of course sexual harassment is allowed in the democratic community, but they rail if a republican gets accused.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Bill Clinton survived sexual harassment charges both before his election and while he was in office. Of course sexual harassment is allowed in the democratic community, but they rail if a republican gets accused.

The problem is, the news media gives the Dems a pass on ANYTHING, and conversely gives the R's NO leeway whatsoever. But there's no bias in the media, nooooo.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
If I were Cain, I would have said let them come forward and confront me.
Seems I remember either Nobama or the Dumbocratic National Committee offering to pay for dirt on any Republicans.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I have 3 Armalite AR-15's for sale. 2 of them are M4 uppers with the A-frame sight post, Cerakoted flat dark earth and have Matech flip up rear sights, and include 2 Magpul 30 round FDE magazines, for $800 shipped. I also have one black AR, with an M4 upper, quad rail handguard, lo pro gas block, but no optics. This one is $750 shipped (to your FFL of course). Let me know, time is running out!

I also have some Spikes Tactical Zombie AR15 lowers in stock and ready to ship. $120 for the plain, $135 for the color filled. Let me know!

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

I have 3 Armalite AR-15's for sale. 2 of them are M4 uppers with the A-frame sight post, Cerakoted flat dark earth and have Matech flip up rear sights, and include 2 Magpul 30 round FDE magazines, for $800 shipped. I also have one black AR, with an M4 upper, quad rail handguard, lo pro gas block, but no optics. This one is $750 shipped (to your FFL of course). Let me know, time is running out!

I also have some Spikes Tactical Zombie AR15 lowers in stock and ready to ship. $120 for the plain, $135 for the color filled. Let me know!

wrong thread perhaps?

Jim

PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Nope. If the liberals have their way in 2012, every conservative will need one. Just helping arm my fellow forum members.
dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
Clinton committed adultery on the job and lied to the American people about it, and the majority of the US didn't give two poops about it.

Would be better if Cain was a liberal I guess, then it would go nowhere.

You know that a sexual harrassment complaint can be lodged if the woman "feels or believes" she was being harrassed. It is entirely possible that someone could settle out of court to save themselves court expenses and exposure to juries that are all too often easily fooled.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Cain is scaring the hell out of everyone. Both the establishment repubs and the liberals. He is the "runaway slave". He got to where he is at now by working hard and with conservative values. The majority of liberals want black people to be dependent on the system and get where they are going via liberal theology and methods. Cain is the Anti-Christ when it comes to liberal methods. He didnt need affirmative action to become who he is. He scares the hell out of the liberals. I like it. But they will do whatever it takes to tarnish his character.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Nope. If the liberals have their way in 2012, every conservative will need one. Just helping arm my fellow forum members.

Just checking.

Jim

KidO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KidOSend a Private Message to KidODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

The problem is, the news media gives the Dems a pass on ANYTHING, and conversely gives the R's NO leeway whatsoever. But there's no bias in the media, nooooo.

I don't remember the media shining that favorable of a light on Monicas dress, or the Paula Jones case. The GOP worked awfully hard against Clinton during the Lewinsky scandal. They set a precedence for themselves. If they support an accused sexual harraser, they would look like hypocrites.

Personally, I think that having a sexual outlet (mistress) is probably quite common for men in power. Women are attracted to that power. Unfortunately, a mistress is just that, a sexual oulet. These men have actual lives to return to after the romp is over. More often than not, I think the "harassment" comes later, after the "relationship" is over for the man, but not the mistress. If this is the case for Herman Cain, I personally do not have a problem with it. If he truly was harassing these women, that is a different story. Unfortunately, only he and the accusser will ever really know the truth.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
Regardless of political party affiliation, this type of behavior is becoming OK with the majority of people by both men and women.

Seems it doesn't matter if you lie, shack up with a married person, or falsely accuse another for personal gain.

The EGO is a powerful (and more often than not destructive) force.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Can those be sold across state lines and shipped?

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Yes but they will have to be shipped to a licensed FFL. Also these are not Cali compliant (fixed 10 rd magazine). You can get the conversion pieces online.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I heard about this story, he was on Laura Ingram this morning (whom I DETEST). I don't like him as a candidate. He is a flip-flopper. I respect his business sense, but don't like him otherwise. I hope this destroys his chance. I also heard he did some collecting for his campaign illegally, which I didn't hear exactly what, also on her show.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by partfiero:

I told him to tell her he was flattered but had no interest in going out with her.
She was really pissed and later went to his boss and claimed he was coming on to her.

Good advice on your part dad. Seriously though, you should have had him tell his boss. That testimony would have probably helped wonders. I know it did in my case and the girl was 17 when it happened to me. The best part was she threatened to tell her dad. Biased world we live in...
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

I don't know where this came from... I would be interested in an AR, maybe all. Can I get photos?
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

I had the same problem with the president of my Home Owners Association years ago.

Hell hath no fury....

The worst part of this common problem is that is delegitimizes genuine claims of harrassment
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Good advice on your part dad. Seriously though, you should have had him tell his boss. That testimony would have probably helped wonders. I know it did in my case and the girl was 17 when it happened to me. The best part was she threatened to tell her dad. Biased world we live in...

Back then I thought females were the kinder gentler gender, not like us mean men!
I am slowly learning.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Back then I thought females were the kinder gentler gender, not like us mean men!
I am slowly learning.

Yeah, not the case. Especially if scorn or money or involved.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Kinda hard to judge one way or the other without full evidnce. I don't get his popularity though or how he made so much money. He just doesn't seem very smart to me. Did Clinton get charged with harassment? I thought it was consensual in his case, although when one person works for the other it's not an equal relationship.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
storm in a tea cup
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

The thing is, I *do* believe there are some universally accepted morals. Murder, theft, rape, assault...and anyone who commits such acts would be considered morally bankrupt, wouldn't you agree?

It is not a matter of belief, it is simple logic. If liberals/Democrats neither espouse morality nor act in a moral fashion, they are not moral people. If they believe in morals, but don't practice them, then they are hypocrites.

If you cannot judge someone on their words or actions, how *do* you judge them? What is left?

I created that thread because I am sincere in demanding that:

1. The Republicans do as we elected them to do, and

2. If they don't, we're going to call them out on it. No more passes because they have an "R" after their name.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/085543.html
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I suspect you are writing Mr. Cain's obituary a bit too soon.

You may be right:

Herman Cain Raised $250,000 Online After Harassment Report Broke, Campaign Says
Herman Cain

F
WASHINGTON -- Herman Cain had one of THE best fundraising days of his presidential campaign on Monday, raising $250,000 in online donations despite reports that he had been twice accused of sexual harassment.

The quarter of a million dollar haul made for "one of our best fundraising days ever," Cain's campaign chief of staff Mark Block told a D.C election-themed conference sponsored by the National Journal. Cain himself said on Laura Ingraham's radio show Tuesday that since the story broke Sunday night, "the fundraising has increased significantly."

"I'll give you this little bit of information -- and this is breaking news: yesterday with the firestorm was one of our best fundraising days online ever -- since the campaign started," he said. "One of the best ones ever, Laura."

The amount raised is a healthy sum for a campaign that has been running, for the most part, on a shoestring budget. And it appears that it was all raised without a formal fundraising push. Cain spent Monday under siege from the national press corps over reports that he had, as head of the National Restaurant Association, twice been accused of sexual harassment. Cain initially called the story false and claimed he had no knowledge of any settlement being made with his accusers. Later, he backtracked on both those statements. His campaign responded to the story in a post on its website but there was no pitch to donors attached to it.

Raising money in the wake of scandal or negative coverage is common and relatively easy for campaigns. Sympathetic supporters become generous supporters when they feel their candidate is being unfairly attacked. It's why Christine O'Donnell and Sharron Angle, Republicans who ran for Senate in Delaware and Nevada, respectively, were some of the better-financed candidates in the 2010 cycle. And it's why the damage to Cain may be limited should he make it through the first few days and should the other shoe not drop.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 11-01-2011).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Clarence Thomas did alright.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Obama's adulterous realationship with Vera Baker never stopped him from getting elected either. Oh wait, the press ignored that one!

https://www.google.com/search?q=vera+baker
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Jennifer Flowers was adultery, not harassment. I'm trying to remember, but wasn't the impeachment about lying? Monica didn't file a harassment charge did she? Cains claim that it wasn't a settlement, that it was an agreement reminds me of Clintons statement " it depends on what your definition of is is". I might not have that quote exactly right. Cain was all over the map with his. He said that it was an agreement, not a settlement. Then he said that it was an agreement to give them a termination settlement or something like that. I didn't respect Clinton for his personal life, but at least he didn't drive the economy into the ditch. How he ran the country was a lot more important to me than his personal life. Didn't he leave office with about a half trillion surplus? What was the Bush surplus?

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 11-01-2011).]

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

And here I thought this campaign commercial was the death knell.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 11-02-2011).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I don't know where this came from... I would be interested in an AR, maybe all. Can I get photos?

Heres a couple shots of one of the FDE models.

I can get more when I get back from Lost Wages.
KidO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KidOSend a Private Message to KidODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

And here I thought this campaign commercial was the death knell.

That was a little weird...
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I'm a gun owner fierox. I like them and those are some neat guns, but I think they should be in the mall.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
A third woman has stepped forward with allegations. Apparently the leak came from Perry's camp. Maybe he'll get another bump in contributions?

"...Cain has been grappling with the allegations since Politico first reported Sunday night that at least two women who worked for the National Restaurant Association when Cain was its head had received financial settlements after they complained about his behavior.

The Cain campaign suggests the source for that story was longtime GOP consultant Curt Anderson, who worked for Cain's failed 2004 U.S. Senate bid and had been debriefed on the harassment allegations by Cain himself. Anderson now works for Perry.

And Chris Wilson, a former pollster for the restaurant association, said Wednesday he witnessed Cain's alleged inappropriate behavior. He's now involved with a pro-Perry super political action committee. "

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/poli...109577#ixzz1calkvNwj

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 11-02-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I'm a gun owner fierox. I like them and those are some neat guns, but I think they should be in the mall.

Nope, the mall is strictly for Fiero related merchandise only. All other stuff in OT. Cliffs rules, not mine.

Jim

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

I had a couple of girls comming on to me when I was 18 and working at Toys 'R' Us. One of them had some real jacked up teeth and I was not interested in her at all. She used to call me to the front counter all the time and if we walked past each other in the back with no known witnesses around, she would grab my butt as we passed each other. I tried to be polite in letting her know I wasn't interested... but it didn't help much. Luckily I wasn't going to be working there much longer. The other one was hired for the Christmas season, and she wasn't as forward about it. I'd be doing my work and would turn around to grab stock for the shelves, and she be standing there staring at me. She did this alot and while she was rather attractive and I wouldn't have minded asking her out, she was 16 and I knew I wouldn't be staying in Phoenix when I graduated Tech. School the next year.

Stuff like that happened other places I worked to. I guess there are legitimate sexual harrasments that take place, but /shrug I never let stuff like that happening to me bother me.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 11-02-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
I don't think Cain has handled this very well. If there was a confidentiality agreement, he should have said so and left it at that.

He really needs some kind of effective campaign management, because he's stepping on his dick like Newt did early on. Not very impressive, so far.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock