Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Tips on pulling up wood laminate flooring?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Tips on pulling up wood laminate flooring? by fastblack
Started on: 10-26-2011 12:20 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Jackdaniels on 10-26-2011 11:17 PM
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
Our dishwasher sprung a leak last week, well that's when I noticed it anyway. I went down to the basement to put some meat in the freezer and one of the ceiling tiles was sagging full of water (I don't go down there much). Little digging found that it was the brass fitting on the dishwasher itself that cracked. When I installed it, apparently I decided a shut off valve wasn't necessary so that was a ton of fun.

Anywho, got the shut off valve installed and new fitting purchased, now onto my new problem. Apparently it had been leaking slowly for a while and now some of the laminate flooring is coming up in the kitchen. When we bought the house the previous owners left some extra pieces of flooring behind and I'm hoping it is enough to replace it so I don't have to go on a flooring hunt. I'm just curious if there are any tips on pulling this stuff up or should I just start to rip and tear? I'm assuming that it is some sort of tongue and groove design but have not inspected the extra pieces yet (halfway because I'm putting the whole thing off and half because I'm busy).

I'm hoping for the best but am fully aware I may end up replacing the subfloor also....

May be applying for that "new kitchen and bath and bed and closet and windows and siding and garage loan" a bit sooner than expected
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post

Is it an interlocking joint or simple tongue and groove?
Is it a floating, glued or nailed down floor?
If interlocking, can you post a photo of the edge joint on a piece of the extra flooring?
There are a few different edge joint types, with different fixes, to get around the fact it's layed directionally.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Because it is all interlocked locked assuming it is a floating floor look for the expansion joints and start there as by destroying a piece and removing it if you looking to repair what you have removed you will find you wont be able to lock it together right and end up pulling it all back up to start again just to lock the pieces together.
If removing completely just a wrecking bar but consider not destroying what good pieces you have left and selling it.
Wolfhound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:
it if you looking to repair what you have removed you will find you wont be able to lock it together right and end up pulling it all back up to start again just to lock the pieces together.

There's an easy modification to the joint that makes it relatively easy. what that is depends on the type joint.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
Sitting in a tree stand right now (yeah its slow), try to get some pics up tonight.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

fastblack

3696 posts
Member since Nov 2003
Looks interlocking to me...

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Hunting season is here again.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-26-2011).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

Still getting used to the idea that people can communicate with the whole world no matter where they are....it's and old-guy thing. I used to have a dial phone.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
take a circular saw and set the depth of the blade to just a hair deeper than the thickness of the wood floor you want to remove. make a cut into one of the damage peaces. cut out a small peace of the first damaged peace and pry it up. once you get one peace up the rest are just a matter of reversing the install procedure.

steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Wolfhound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
You may be able to start pulling it up by removing the molding under the kick space of the cabinet. Iffy but worth a try.
Otherwise , as 84Fiero123 said.
If you look at the interlocking joint, You can see that either the top surface is longer or the bottom is. It lays in the direction of the long bottom. That is to the right in the bottom photo.

Like so....

The piece to the right has to go in at an angle and presses down to lock. when laying this type floor you get into situations where you can't get the angle, due to an obstruction. as in the case of the kick space under the cabinet.
To get around this you need a small hand plane to remove most of the marked portion shown belowin green.
It will still lock. I use a flat bar inserting it between the kick plate and the cut edge of the flooring and press sideways.

[This message has been edited by Wolfhound (edited 10-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

GOD what a complete dumbass.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock