which way do you thread your belt in? by AL87
Started on: 10-22-2011 11:19 AM
Replies: 36
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-25-2011 03:13 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
there simply isnt anything out there. and I am ambidextrous so I thread either way, it all depends on what Im feeling, lol.

any propper ettiquite?

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 10-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Don't know that I'd call it "etiquette" necessarily, but any belt buckle with words or images on it will be made so that the belt threads left to right. Also military Dress and Personal Appearance standards will be left to right as well.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 10-22-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
I start by feeding it in on the left side. I think that's the way it's supposed to be for men. I think women are supposed to feed on the right side. Kinda like buttons on male/female clothes, they don't button the same way. Just a guess on my part though.

Jim
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I start by feeding it in on the left side. I think that's the way it's supposed to be for men. I think women are supposed to feed on the right side. Kinda like buttons on male/female clothes, they don't button the same way. Just a guess on my part though.

Jim

I don't think women's belts are different but I may be wrong. Women's buttons are different for historical reasons (Historically a woman would have a servant helping her dress, and the buttons are on opposite sides for the servants convenience)
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Thought it was like this: (In the US, anyway) Men start it on the first loop on the left side of the button(or middle of the front) and then go around and end up on the right (Guess cuz I'm right handed?)

Zippers and buttons are on the right side of coats...?

Originally posted by OKflyboy:
(Historically a woman would have a servant helping her dress, and the buttons are on opposite sides for the servants convenience)

didn't know THAT...

EEEEEnteresting...

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-22-2011).]

AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
I mean, its a belt... lol. so why are men supposed to thread in to the left?
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

I don't think women's belts are different but I may be wrong. Women's buttons are different for historical reasons (Historically a woman would have a servant helping her dress, and the buttons are on opposite sides for the servants convenience)

I bet the belts are too, for that same reason.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

I bet the belts are too, for that same reason.

Yeah, you're probably right.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

I mean, its a belt... lol. so why are men supposed to thread in to the left?

I would be willing to guess ist more 'natural' for a right handed person to do it that direction, which is who most goods are geared.

EDIT( stupid fingers. ) in my case being ambidextrous, both ways are either confusing or normal..

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 10-22-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

I don't women's belts are different, I just think the way they feed them is different. Based on tradition more than anything, as Nurb said.

Jim

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I was raised that men thread it to the left, women to the right.

Strong military background probably has something to do with that.

Something that reinforces this is belt buckles, the fancy ones,

I've never seen one that allows you to thread the belt to the right.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2011 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

D :
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post10-22-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

D :

Depends on what is on the other side.. you don't want to wear an upside down flag or something..
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Happy?

Brad
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
I never had a set direction that I threaded my belt until I got a nicer quality belt with a scripted buckle. I remember a few times when I got it first that I did it backwards and noticed it when I looked down and could read my buckle.
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
Like this:

4.9.5. Belt and Buckle. The belt will be blue, cotton web or elastic, solid or woven. The
belt will have a silver (chrome finish) tip and a buckle. The silver tip of the belt will extend
beyond the buckle facing the wearer’s left; however, no blue fabric will be visible between
the silver tip and silver buckle.

Same for ABU except the fabric can extend past the buckle.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
On a sartorial tip, men should start threading a belt on the left, women on the right. Just like women's clothes button backwards (or, better yet, on the "other side") from men's clothing.

No reason for it beyond fashion and/or tradition as far as I know.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Jim

I do mine the opposite way, staring on the right side.

Wonder if it because I am a right brained lefty?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

I do mine the opposite way, staring on the right side.

Wonder if it because I am a right brained lefty?

Left handed people are the only ones in their right mind.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

On a sartorial tip jimbolaya is correct, men should start threading a belt on the left, women on the right. Just like women's clothes button backwards (or, better yet, on the "other side") from men's clothing.

No reason for it beyond fashion and/or tradition as far as I know.

Fixed it for ya.

Jim

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
You know your underwear are made for right handed people correct?

Not sure - stick your hand in your fly -

Even if you wear them inside out, they are still right handed/
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Right to Left...like a real man
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Never thought about it before as all of my belts could be worn either way, but I start on the left and thread around to the right (apparantly the way I am supposed to do it thankfully).
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Proper belt routing and gig line details were explained in basic training. Also the correct placement of trousers and shirts on hangers, how to make hospital corners on beds and other life skills were instilled. Nonconformity wasn't encouraged.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Jim

I know I am right brained, and it is no blessing!

"God makes only 10% of people perfect, the rest are right handed"---my quote

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 10-22-2011).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Fixed it for ya.

Jim

Jeez.....everybody's a dang editor nowadays!!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Jim

When it's just a piece of sash cord or old rope, with a knot tied in front, what difference does it make which direction you start? (and how would anyone else know how ya did it anyway?)
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

When it's just a piece of sash cord or old rope, with a knot tied in front, what difference does it make which direction you start? (and how would anyone else know how ya did it anyway?)

Is that a Jethro belt?

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 10-23-2011).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I had someone point out to me that I always do mine right to left. (Of course they had to say that is the woman way)
I realized I started doing it when I broke by right wrist when in 5th grade and it became such a habbit that I must have never changed back. Never gave it a thought until just a year ago.
Wonder how much the right/left handed has to do with it.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-23-2011).]

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
i put the ribs on the ribbed side of the pulley and the smooth side on the smooth sides. i usually use a crow bar to get leverage on the pulley tentioner but if that dont work a screwdriver is my best friend. otherwise if your talking about waist belts i go counter clockwise around my waist.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Is that a Jethro belt?

We call this one the "Huck Finn" belt. I've rocked it a number of times.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Here's how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT6H0cDYgRA

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 10-24-2011).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Look for a belt that has words on it, if you put it on backwards they will be upside down.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Found one, says mens.

If you started this belt thru your left side loops it would read correct.

If you started it thru your right side it would read upside down.

http://www.planetharley.com...elt_p/99465-10vm.htm

Doh!
Womens is the same:
http://www.adventureharley....ered-belt-99402-12vw

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-24-2011).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
From what I see on the street, few wear belts anymore. They just walk around with one hand in their pocket to hold them up and the other hand in the other pocket on their gun...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I just buy pants that fit
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
your rare.... Guys buy pants at least 3 sizes too big, t shirts long enough to be worn as dresses, and girls buy sweaters long enough to cover their hands and bottoms to their knees....yet they buy skirts that dont come below their butt cheeks, lol. Go figure.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock