Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Have trouble remembering different PIN's ?....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Have trouble remembering different PIN's ?.... by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 09-17-2011 09:25 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: tbone42 on 09-19-2011 02:29 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2011 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
And need to carry them written down to remember ?...hide them in a phone number.

For example, my Visa pin is 1234 (NO, Not the real number)....in my phone is an entry "Vanessa" 905-381-2349--this is a VERY plausible phone number in this area...905-381 exchange is Hamilton Mountain area. (there are about 9 people, some fake, with names beiging with "V" in there .....I only need to remember one.

Now, that is enough to jog my memory ("V"= Venessa, Visa) and I recognize the PIN from the sequence.

Just keep the number real enough to be plausible to your local area.

Remember, a thief only gets 3 tries to guess the correct PIN before he gets locked out of the system. You could even go one step further and hide the pin in an every-second-digit sequence

To complicate matters for a thief, some PIN's are 3 digit, some are 4 and some are 5

Score one for the old farts with bad memories !!

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-17-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Or you can just write it on the back of the card like I do! Easy to find, and simple to remember.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/pin.htm

Everybody's PIN (Personal Identification Number) Revealed!

(Check it out: yours is on here, too!)

(Not intended for criminal use!)

Click to show

Someone actually wrote in requesting an explanation as to how this thing works.

Sorry, we do not reveal our trade secrets.

Brad
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Someone actually wrote in requesting an explanation as to how this thing works.

Sorry, we do not reveal our trade secrets.

Uuuuhhhh....Yeh.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Try to remember passwords. I have a two page Xcel spread sheet of all my passwords.
Syn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynSend a Private Message to SynDirect Link to This Post
hope no one gets your phone now lol!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Syn:

hope no one gets your phone now lol!

Do ya really think it would be under the name "Vannessa" if I was gonna post that name on a public forum ??

Ya got 8 more names to try, and the system locks ya out in 2 <hehehehehe>

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-17-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
I just embed them into my DNA.

There are applications that will encrypt your passwords in a database and lets you set a single password to access them.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 09-17-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Try to remember passwords. I have a two page Xcel spread sheet of all my passwords.

I've never used office software at all, but what if someone got your spreadsheet? Could they get your spreadsheet? I worry about someone getting into my online banking and check it every once in a while for activity. If someone does hack into my account and emptys it, is the bank responsible or do I lose everything?
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

I just embed them into my DNA.

There are applications that will encrypt your passwords in a database and lets you set a single password to access them.

Quicken does that but often the name and password banks use for Quicken is different from the regular on-line banking access so you have two different names and passwords for each account.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
I scratched them, backwards, in my forehead. Then when I look in a mirror, I can read them.

Jim
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Quicken does that but often the name and password banks use for Quicken is different from the regular on-line banking access so you have two different names and passwords for each account.

I was meaning one 3rd party app that holds all your passwords.

this sort of idea: https://www.callpod.com/keeper
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I use: KeePass Password Safe. It stores your PINs and passwords in a doubly-encrypted database. Access to the database requires that you provide KeePass with a single keyphrase that can be as long and complex as you like, including spaces and punctuation characters. As an example, for my keyphrase I use an obscure literary reference, and I have a hard copy of that single passphrase stored in our home safe in case I develop Alzheimers or am otherwise "unavailable." I have the KeePass database stored on my LAN's NAS server, and security is set up so it is accessible from any local computer but not from any external computer; even I can't access it via the Internet. Best of all, KeePass is open source and free for noncommercial use. Highly recommended.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-17-2011).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I change all of my PINs (the really important ones anyway) every month or so.

I try to use dates and/or flight numbers that are meaningful to me and use names or relevant places and events as hints to remember them.

So far, so good.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 09-17-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I use different ones for everything. Idk how I remember them... but I don't write them down. What I could do though is make an excel sheet and put it in a hidden folder in my computer. Alternatively, I could lock the folder and only remember one password. But that's too much work... I just memorize them.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I use different ones for everything. Idk how I remember them... but I don't write them down. What I could do though is make an excel sheet and put it in a hidden folder in my computer. Alternatively, I could lock the folder and only remember one password. But that's too much work... I just memorize them.

Hidden folders and changing rights are about the same as putting a screen on a wide open window.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Hidden folders and changing rights are about the same as putting a screen on a wide open window.

Really? How would someone find it if it's hidden?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Or you can just write it on the back of the card like I do! Easy to find, and simple to remember.

Brad

You're jokin--right?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 09-18-2011).]

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Here's what I use: KeePass Password Safe. It stores your PINs and passwords in a doubly-encrypted database. Access to the database requires that you provide KeePass with a single keyphrase that can be as long and complex as you like, including spaces and punctuation characters. As an example, for my keyphrase I use an obscure literary reference, and I have a hard copy of that single passphrase stored in our home safe in case I develop Alzheimers or am otherwise "unavailable." I have the KeePass database stored on my LAN's NAS server, and security is set up so it is accessible from any local computer but not from any external computer; even I can't access it via the Internet. Best of all, KeePass is open source and free for noncommercial use. Highly recommended.

Good one! I tried the virtual keyboard plugin to enhance login security but it's not there for that purpose. Seems like a key logger could gain access to all the passwords.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You're jokin--right?

Sorta lol.

I may or may not have pin numbers written on cards in my wallet.

http://www.passwordcard.org/en

If you have a bank like mine that does not let you set your own pin numbers you need to take and digitally alter the card to include the pin number.

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 09-18-2011).]

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
I use the same PIN # for all my cards. Very easy for me to remember, and don't have to have a different # for every card.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Well.. that's lame. What's the point of them then? Oh well... I remember all mine.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

In any number of ways as that is just a 'convience' setting for "Windows File Explorer" and not a system 'enforced' setting. Don't rely on that for security.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Well.. that's lame. What's the point of them then? Oh well... I remember all mine.

It keeps the 'extra' stuff out of your face as you view folders.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

You are 24 (or 22?)-grucking year-old... When I was 24 I could hit a tank with an 84mm at 1,000 meters, and flip a Citabria upside down on final, and STILL land on the numbers....we get old, loose the eyesight and start to wear glasses, and loose the reflexes we once had.....its not lame, and its not lack of spirit....trust me Brandon, nothing would make me happier than to take a Cessna 152 in the air again...one man and one camera......and on landing hit full power, dump 40 flaps, point the nose in the air and have it down and stopped in its own lenght....screw the power curve or what the factory recomends ya dont do.....nobody ever broke records following factory protocol......

Its a great world out there, Brandon.........ya might even someday find yourself doing something stupid like taking the parking brake off a DeHaviland and asking tower for clearance to taxi...ya never know, it could happen.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-18-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:

I use the same PIN # for all my cards. Very easy for me to remember, and don't have to have a different # for every card.

Our bank issues our pin number randomly, and changes them from time to time. There are no custom ones, and if you have to have a new one issued they charge 5 bucks or so.

One of the two things I hate about using a small town bank.

Brad
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

You are 24 (or 22?)-grucking year-old... When I was 24 I could hit a tank with an 84mm at 1,000 meters, and flip a Citabria upside down on final, and STILL land on the numbers....we get old, loose the eyesight and start to wear glasses, and loose the reflexes we once had.....its not lame, and its not lack of spirit....trust me Brandon, nothing would make me happier than to take a Cessna 152 in the air again...one man and one camera......and on landing hit full power, dump 40 flaps, point the nose in the air and have it down and stopped in its own lenght....screw the power curve or what the factory recomends ya dont do.....nobody ever broke records following factory protocol......

Its a great world out there, Brandon.........ya might even someday find yourself doing something stupid like taking the parking brake off a DeHaviland and asking tower for clearance to taxi...ya never know, it could happen.

Mike

Wait... what? I was saying the hidden folders function in Windows is lame.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

It keeps the 'extra' stuff out of your face as you view folders.

Yep-most casual pc users don't need to see or use most of the system files or folders, so them being assigning a hidden attribute keeps "my computer/file manager/win explorer" relatively simple and uncrowded. If the casual user can't see it, there's a less lilihood they will delete, move, modify, or otherwise screw around with a critical file.

Assigning a hidden attribute can, I suppose, be useful if there's more than one user on a machine and one or both just wants some things kept private and less noticeable, but there's a big big difference in "private" and "secure".
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Wait... what? I was saying the hidden folders function in Windows is lame.

Just smile.. he's on a roll.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock