Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Any guys good with TV's? Our Sony flat screen no longer powers on.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Any guys good with TV's? Our Sony flat screen no longer powers on. by DeLorean00
Started on: 09-12-2011 10:12 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-12-2011 01:58 PM
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
We have a Sony Bravia its about 3-4 years old. And it no longer powers on. It turns on for a second clicks and then turns off. The standby light flashes 4 times pause then flashes 4 more times.

When we first had the problem we unplugged it and let it sit for awhile then it worked for a few days and quit again. I reasonably sure its probably a capacitor problem, but I am unsure on how to proceed. Sony is no help on anything since its out of warranty.

The model number is KDL-32S2010 its a 32 inch HDTV. Made in Dec 06.

I remember a few months ago a thread on someone buying a TV with a problem like this and fixing it. So any help would be great. I would be even willing to pay someone on here to repair it or the board.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Capacitor. Almost featherbed. Sam Young is.my guess.

In my best Roger Garrison voice.: I hate sony and their proprietary garbage. Myself too.

------------------
What you just decide that I'm drunk? You can't decide that I'm drunk. I make that decision! That decision is mine and God's!

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Capacitor. Almost featherbed. Sam Young is.my guess.

In my best Roger Garrison voice.: I hate sony and their proprietary garbage. Myself too.

I agree. But what should I do? Tear into it and look for fat or leaking caps?
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the power board.
Could be a capacitor, but the Sony Bravia TVs are known to have cold solder joints on the power board, usually on the low voltage side.. Flexing the board resolves the issue..
Tear it apart, look for swollen capacitors on the power board. If any are swollen or actively leaking, replace...
And that was my TV thread you remember seeing.
Paid 50 bucks for it, sold it for 250.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/082642.html
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Sounds like the power board.
Could be a capacitor, but the Sony Bravia TVs are known to have cold solder joints on the power board, usually on the low voltage side.. Flexing the board resolves the issue..
Tear it apart, look for swollen capacitors on the power board. If any are swollen or actively leaking, replace...
And that was my TV thread you remember seeing.
Paid 50 bucks for it, sold it for 250.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/082642.html

Would you be willing to repair the board if I took it out and mailed it to you? I would of course pay you for your time.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Here's the problem with that...

I would need the entire TV in order to attempt any repairs on the board. Re-heating the board to reflow solder may or may not work the first time, and there is no way to know unless I have the TV to test on.

First, check the capacitors on the main power board for swelling or leakage.

The four flash/pause/four flash you are getting signifies "Backlight Inverter" issues.. Which could be as simple as re-heating the solder points for the backlight transistors or replacing the capacitors.

I'd be willing to do it, but I'd need the TV... You can order a replacement power board from EBay.. .Search for your model number and "power" in the same search... You'll find a handful of results. They tend to run about 50 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SON...cc06b#ht_1319wt_1163
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Here's the problem with that...

I would need the entire TV in order to attempt any repairs on the board. Re-heating the board to reflow solder may or may not work the first time, and there is no way to know unless I have the TV to test on.

First, check the capacitors on the main power board for swelling or leakage.

The four flash/pause/four flash you are getting signifies "Backlight Inverter" issues.. Which could be as simple as re-heating the solder points for the backlight transistors or replacing the capacitors.

I'd be willing to do it, but I'd need the TV... You can order a replacement power board from EBay.. .Search for your model number and "power" in the same search... You'll find a handful of results. They tend to run about 50 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SON...cc06b#ht_1319wt_1163

Thank you for your honesty. It probably not worth shipping the entire tv. Do you think if I bought that board off eBay it would fix my TV?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Thank you for your honesty. It probably not worth shipping the entire tv. Do you think if I bought that board off eBay it would fix my TV?

Probably. I am not finding a separate inverter board for the backlight...

Without having the schematics for the television in front of me, I believe the power board handles the back light as well as the main system power...
Most TVs are configured this way.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Probably. I am not finding a separate inverter board for the backlight...

Without having the schematics for the television in front of me, I believe the power board handles the back light as well as the main system power...
Most TVs are configured this way.

Ok I am leaning towards just buying that board you linked and then swapping it out and hoping for the best.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I placed an offer on that board. Hopefully he accepts it.
newf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
You could take the TV apart, look for the leaking or bulging caps and then take it to someone to just solder in new ones, if you don't get your new board that is.
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I could buy said power board for 50 bucks......Then sell it back to ya for a 100
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2011 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If you know how to solder, I would be inclined to just replace every cap on the board. I'm guessing that there are less than a dozen.
(Edit - Just looked at the ebay link. I don't even think there are that many.)
You can probably do it for under $20.
Just be sure to get your caps from a commercial electronics supply house. Be careful of polarity when you reinstall them. If they're installed backwards they tend to explode.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-13-2011).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
in response to mach3 whatever....

I used to like Sony. Their quality control has gone down the shtter. Its not really broke, its just resting. God created Sony in his own tv's image. Its the greatest tv brand ever. My trash Samsungs are all still working fine..... I never really bashed Sony tvs, just said you can get just as good other brands of tvs for 1/3-1/4 of Sonys price tags.

I suggest you sue Sony so the judge will make them give you free tvs for the rest of your life

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 09-14-2011).]

HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

I placed an offer on that board. Hopefully he accepts it.

if you want someone to come up there and help you man up, tear it apart and find out whats wrong then man up and solder it... let me know.. my payment: i wanna drive your delorean

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by HI-TECH:

if you want someone to come up there and help you man up, tear it apart and find out whats wrong then man up and solder it... let me know.. my payment: i wanna drive your delorean

LoL You are welcome to come visit! I have ordered the board so if it doesn't fix the problem I will be back here looking for more answers.

But if you are ever in this area let me know, we can do lunch or something and take out the DeLorean.
Brucepts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsDirect Link to This Post
I just did the capacitor change on a Samsung 32" that I got for free as it would not power up anymore. Bought a kit from someone in CA that had the 15 caps in it. De-soldered the old ones and soldered in the new ones less than $20 in parts and an hours time maybe?

I could not decern which caps were bad, none showed signs of being "blown" so I just replaced'em all

Told my wife while she is out garage sale'in to look for any flatscreens that "don't power up" make an offer sub-$20 and drag'em home.

------------------
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
http://www.flowbenchtech.com

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Might be able to get the main board from here (make sure you ask,if its a working board):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...w=32&_kw=KDL-32S2010
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I'm surprised to hear of people repairing them. With the cost of labor most electronics are just replaced. I used to be an electronic technician, but we didn't have solid state components, just vacumn tubes and circuit boards 1/4" thick.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Double post

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 09-15-2011).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
DeLorean00... I assume the new board resolved your issues?
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2011 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I seen the news this morning that Sony has a recall on millions of Bravia tvs for overheating/ fire hazzard. Might check into that and get a free fix or new tv.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock