Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Remember "Bird Flu", well it's back and it's now a mutant strain. Oh Joy!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Remember "Bird Flu", well it's back and it's now a mutant strain. Oh Joy! by blackrams
Started on: 08-29-2011 05:21 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: fierofetish on 08-30-2011 09:07 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Mutant Bird Flu Strain Spreading In Asia

http://www.huffingtonpost.c...%7Csec1_lnk3%7C90420

ROME -- The United Nations warned Monday of a possible resurgence of the deadly bird flu virus, saying wild bird migrations had brought it back to previously virus-free countries and that a mutant strain was spreading in Asia.

A mutant strain of H5N1, which can apparently sidestep defenses of existing vaccines, is spreading in China and Vietnam, Tthe U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization said in a statement Monday. It urged greater surveillance to ensure that any outbreaks are contained.

Last week, the World Health Organization reported that a 6-year-old Cambodian girl had died Aug. 14 from bird flu, the eighth person to die from H5N1 avian influenza this year in Cambodia.

Vietnam suspended its springtime poultry vaccination this year, FAO said. Most of the northern and central parts of the country where the virus is endemic have been invaded by the new strain.

Elsewhere, FAO says bird migrations over the past two years have brought H5N1 to countries that had been virus-free for several years, including Israel, the Palestinian territories, Bulgaria, Romania, Nepal and Mongolia.

"Wild birds may introduce the virus, but people's actions in poultry production and marketing spread it," said FAO's chief veterinary office Juan Lubroth in urging greater preparedness and surveillance.

WHO says globally there have been 331 human deaths from 565 confirmed bird flu cases since 2003 when it was first detected.

The virus was eliminated from most of the 63 countries infected at its peak in 2006, but it remained endemic in six countries: Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia and Vietnam.

The number of outbreaks in poultry and wild bird populations shrank from a high of 4000 to 302 in mid-2008, but outbreaks have risen progressively since, with almost 800 cases reported in 2010-2011, FAO said.

"The general departure from the progressive decline in 2004-2008 could mean that there will be a flare-up of H5N1 this fall and winter, with people unexpectedly finding the virus in their backyard," Lubroth said in a statement.

Not real sure I trust the World Health Organization but, I don't like having the flu either. Guess I'll go back into my cave for a while.

------------------
Ron

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Is this the "crisis du jour"?
I suppose that time will tell.

Thanks for sharing, regardless.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-30-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

How dare you minimize this threat!!

Racist!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

How dare you minimize this threat!!
Racist!

I thought that was just for the anti-warmers.

We're making it an across the board policy? Cool. Works for me.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-30-2011).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
"The virus was eliminated from most of the 63 countries infected at its peak in 2006, but it remained endemic in six countries: Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia and Vietnam."

is it odd that nations which have pretty bleak labor policies & some overpopulation/crowding issues dont do anything to prevent disease? could it be they welcome some "culling"? them dirty disease carrying "workers".......
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

"The virus was eliminated from most of the 63 countries infected at its peak in 2006, but it remained endemic in six countries: Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia and Vietnam."

is it odd that nations which have pretty bleak labor policies & some overpopulation/crowding issues dont do anything to prevent disease? could it be they welcome some "culling"? them dirty disease carrying "workers".......

Not true.
When I first went to China there were places everywhere that had live birds that you pick one out and it got butchered right in front of you to take home and cook.
They have eliminated virtually every one of them.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:
Not true.
When I first went to China there were places everywhere that had live birds that you pick one out and it got butchered right in front of you to take home and cook.
They have eliminated virtually every one of them.

I didnt write the article. it says China has NOT eliminated them.

its a big place.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Check out these videos on youtube. They are of a history channel documentary. Very interesting with all the proffesional input.

This is video 1 of 9.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

You almost went to jail for murder.
I read that and choked on a gummy worm!
It would not have been all that bad, but I kept reading it over and laughing so hard I kept hacking it up and choking it down!

"them dirty disease carrying workers"

Very funny!
And sad....

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-30-2011).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

I didnt write the article. it says China has NOT eliminated them.

its a big place.

Said virtually eliminated them.

Doubt if there is 2% of once was the norm.
But the government DID make them illegal.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-30-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Crisis, no of cousre not. Something to at least acknowledge is out there and take appropriate steps to prevent it from becoming a crisis, sure.

PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Those Pharmaceutical Companies wasted all that free money from LAST time already? Damn!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock