Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Is the Domino Theory being played out 50 years later? Was Truman right? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Is the Domino Theory being played out 50 years later? Was Truman right? by carnut122
Started on: 08-23-2011 08:26 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: Boondawg on 08-25-2011 07:44 AM
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
The Truman Doctrine basically said that the US would go to war anywhere in the world where communism "raised its ugly head." Along with that theory came the Domino Theory that said that once a country became communist(Viet Nam), its neighbors would soon follow suit. Under GW Bush(read my past posts, I'm not one of his fans) went into Iraq to look for WMD's(which were not uncovered), to revenge his dad's attempted assassination(?), and according to some to plant the seed of democracy into the Muslim Middle East. Egypt has overthrown its government, Libya is about to overthrow Gaddafi, and it appears that Syria is crawling in that direction. I'm not saying these countries will not become democratic, but they appear to be heading in that direction. Ronnie Reagan was right about spending the USSR and Eastern Block into dissolution. Will GW also get credit for a Southwest Asia democratic Domino Effect? What are your thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
No! President Obama will get the credit.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

No! President Obama will get the credit.

Well, he'll want and try to take credit but, we'll have to wait and see where that credit actually ends up landing.

------------------
Ron

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Well, he'll want and try to take credit but, we'll have to wait and see where that credit actually ends up landing.

For Barack Obama, “leading from behind” has never looked so … decisive.

With Libyan rebels celebrating in downtown Tripoli, and Muammar el-Qaddafi apparently in hiding, the president’s supporters are claiming vindication for a much-criticized approach to regime change in the Arab world.

Obama’s strategy amounted to staying resolutely behind the scenes throughout the five-month NATO air operation. To wit: Don’t say the United States is openly engaged in ousting Qaddafi. Don’t even concede the United States is going to war. Take cover behind a political imprimatur for action from the Arab League and United Nations, and let Europe lead the strike forces. Then modestly take credit — albeit only with a restrained statement on Monday from Martha’s Vineyard, where Obama is vacationing.

“I think this is a tremendous achievement,” said James Steinberg, Hillary Rodham Clinton’s recently departed deputy secretary of State, who is now dean of the Maxwell School at Syracuse University. “The biggest factor to date is the fact that we [Americans] have not been the problem. People aren’t saying the Americans are trying to do regime change. Whether in Tunisia or Libya or Egypt, we are seen as supportive of others. It’s an obvious contrast with the previous administration…. And the fact that tyrants are not able to rally their people against us shows the nuance and skill of this. It’s working.”

Obama, with his administration in crisis over a staggering economy and mounting U.S. debt as he winds down two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, has maintained that the U.S. was not at war in Libya because the American role was confined to a defensive posture of “suppressing” enemy air defenses, to intelligence-gathering, and to surveillance and reconnaissance capability (along with air-to-air refueling for NATO strike forces).

In fact, however, in recent weeks U.S. involvement has verged over into clearly offensive attacks using armed Predator drones on selected targets, especially as a desperate Qaddafi sought to quietly shift his troops to civilian hideouts in the final stages, according to NATO. “Yeah, [the Predator] had that added ability. It can take action on its own and did in a number of cases,” NATO spokesman Tony White told National Journal on Monday. “I heard the NATO commander [Lt. Gen. Charles Bouchard of the Canadian Air Force] say that the addition of the Predators was a huge boost to his capability.”

The downside of such a low-profile, stealthy U.S. role — which an anonymous U.S official described to the New Yorker magazine as “leading from behind” — is that it becomes that much harder to win kudos for leadership, a critical issue for Obama as he heads into the 2012 election year with his approval ratings at worrisome levels. “This wasn’t the best way to get credit, but it was a pretty good way of getting results,” said Tom Malinowski of Human Rights Watch, a sometime administration adviser and former National Security Council official in the Clinton administration. “It was smart in the sense that it generated a lot more action from the Europeans than would otherwise have happened. They really got the Europeans to share the burden in a way that the United States has never managed before. It minimized the administration’s exposure to criticism at home in a time of austerity.”

Obama’s approach also appears to have sown discord in Republican ranks. Leading GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney has criticized Obama for being “weak” and “following the French into Libya,” as well as relying too much on international organizations. On Monday, the rigorously anti-Obama editorial page of The Wall Street Journal joined Romney, arguing that Qaddafi might have been toppled faster and fewer people would have been killed “if America had led more forcefully from the beginning.”

But at an earlier point, Romney worried about U.S. “mission creep” and questioned the rhetoric against Qaddafi personally, asking who was “going to take his place.” Meanwhile, other GOP candidates, such as Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., embraced a new isolationist strain emanating from the tea party movement and criticized the Libya intervention altogether, saying that events in that country didn't threaten U.S. interests.

Nicholas Burns, who served as undersecretary of State under George W. Bush, admits to having been “very skeptical” about the U.S. role at the beginning. “As a former ambassador to NATO, I would rather have seen us lead the effort militarily,” Burns said. "But I understand why the administration wanted to push the British and French out front. They were the ones who came to us and asked for intervention. I think it’s been vindicated.… I thought the president also made the right decision when the Arab League requested the intervention and the U.N. blessed it. Right now I think he’s got a lot of credibility with the Arab world and with the Europeans.”

Still, Obama’s edge over his critics may not last. It’s not just that Qaddafi’s fate remains unknown, or that the political transition conducted by a fractious rebel leadership under the Libyan Transitional National Council is almost certain to be difficult. Despite the president’s statement on Monday that the Libyans had expressed a “basic and joyful longing for human freedom [which] echoed the voices that we had heard all across the region, from Tunis to Cairo,” he’s not likely to repeat NATO’s feat in Libya anywhere else.

That’s especially true in Syria, where the regime of Bashar al-Assad has killed thousands of protesters. In recent days, Obama has called for Assad to step down amid criticism from some Republicans, but the president is less likely to find support for intervention from Europeans, Arabs, and especially from China and Russia, two permanent members of the U.N. Security Council.

Nonetheless, Obama can lay claim to his biggest foreign-policy victory since the takedown of Osama bin Laden in May — for the moment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...olitics-white_house/

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-23-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
That would be one writer's opinion.

My opinion would be that one who does not make a definitive statement followed by action can not claim any of the credit.

Leading from the rear of the crowd still doesn't impress me.

------------------
Ron

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Leading from the rear of the crowd still doesn't impress me.

I have been running my household from that very posistion since day one. (just like most married men)

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:
As with ALL my posts I write with my OWN hand (not cut-and-past from the internet from other sites) ...

For Barack Obama, “leading from behind” has never looked so … decisive.
With Libyan rebels celebrating in downtown Tripoli, and Muammar el-Qaddafi apparently in hiding, the president’s supporters are claiming vindication for a much-criticized approach to regime change in the Arab world.
Obama’s strategy amounted to staying resolutely behind the scenes throughout the five-month NATO air operation. To wit: Don’t say the United States is openly engaged in ousting Qaddafi. Don’t even concede the United States is going to war. Take cover behind a political imprimatur for action from the Arab League and United Nations, and let Europe lead the strike forces. Then modestly take credit — albeit only with a restrained statement on Monday from Martha’s Vineyard, where Obama is vacationing.
“I think this is a tremendous achievement,” said James Steinberg, Hillary Rodham Clinton’s recently departed deputy secretary of State, who is now dean of the Maxwell School at Syracuse University. “The biggest factor to date is the fact that we [Americans] have not been the problem. People aren’t saying the Americans are trying to do regime change. Whether in Tunisia or Libya or Egypt, we are seen as supportive of others. It’s an obvious contrast with the previous administration…. And the fact that tyrants are not able to rally their people against us shows the nuance and skill of this. It’s working.”
Obama, with his administration in crisis over a staggering economy and mounting U.S. debt as he winds down two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, has maintained that the U.S. was not at war in Libya because the American role was confined to a defensive posture of “suppressing” enemy air defenses, to intelligence-gathering, and to surveillance and reconnaissance capability (along with air-to-air refueling for NATO strike forces).
In fact, however, in recent weeks U.S. involvement has verged over into clearly offensive attacks using armed Predator drones on selected targets, especially as a desperate Qaddafi sought to quietly shift his troops to civilian hideouts in the final stages, according to NATO. “Yeah, [the Predator] had that added ability. It can take action on its own and did in a number of cases,” NATO spokesman Tony White told National Journal on Monday. “I heard the NATO commander [Lt. Gen. Charles Bouchard of the Canadian Air Force] say that the addition of the Predators was a huge boost to his capability.”
The downside of such a low-profile, stealthy U.S. role — which an anonymous U.S official described to the New Yorker magazine as “leading from behind” — is that it becomes that much harder to win kudos for leadership, a critical issue for Obama as he heads into the 2012 election year with his approval ratings at worrisome levels. “This wasn’t the best way to get credit, but it was a pretty good way of getting results,” said Tom Malinowski of Human Rights Watch, a sometime administration adviser and former National Security Council official in the Clinton administration. “It was smart in the sense that it generated a lot more action from the Europeans than would otherwise have happened. They really got the Europeans to share the burden in a way that the United States has never managed before. It minimized the administration’s exposure to criticism at home in a time of austerity.”
Obama’s approach also appears to have sown discord in Republican ranks. Leading GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney has criticized Obama for being “weak” and “following the French into Libya,” as well as relying too much on international organizations. On Monday, the rigorously anti-Obama editorial page of The Wall Street Journal joined Romney, arguing that Qaddafi might have been toppled faster and fewer people would have been killed “if America had led more forcefully from the beginning.”
But at an earlier point, Romney worried about U.S. “mission creep” and questioned the rhetoric against Qaddafi personally, asking who was “going to take his place.” Meanwhile, other GOP candidates, such as Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., embraced a new isolationist strain emanating from the tea party movement and criticized the Libya intervention altogether, saying that events in that country didn't threaten U.S. interests.
Nicholas Burns, who served as undersecretary of State under George W. Bush, admits to having been “very skeptical” about the U.S. role at the beginning. “As a former ambassador to NATO, I would rather have seen us lead the effort militarily,” Burns said. "But I understand why the administration wanted to push the British and French out front. They were the ones who came to us and asked for intervention. I think it’s been vindicated.… I thought the president also made the right decision when the Arab League requested the intervention and the U.N. blessed it. Right now I think he’s got a lot of credibility with the Arab world and with the Europeans.”
Still, Obama’s edge over his critics may not last. It’s not just that Qaddafi’s fate remains unknown, or that the political transition conducted by a fractious rebel leadership under the Libyan Transitional National Council is almost certain to be difficult. Despite the president’s statement on Monday that the Libyans had expressed a “basic and joyful longing for human freedom [which] echoed the voices that we had heard all across the region, from Tunis to Cairo,” he’s not likely to repeat NATO’s feat in Libya anywhere else.
That’s especially true in Syria, where the regime of Bashar al-Assad has killed thousands of protesters. In recent days, Obama has called for Assad to step down amid criticism from some Republicans, but the president is less likely to find support for intervention from Europeans, Arabs, and especially from China and Russia, two permanent members of the U.N. Security Council.
Nonetheless, Obama can lay claim to his biggest foreign-policy victory since the takedown of Osama bin Laden in May — for the moment.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 08-23-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
It remains to be seen if the changes will be democratic or not.
There's a strong possibility that Sharia government will rise in those areas. If not that, will they be able to become democratic? Iraq has already demonstrated how centuries of tribal conflict can make any representative government difficult at best.

Is it a spread of Democracy? Despotism? Islam?

Reagan spent the USSR and Eastern Block into dissolution.
Obama is now doing the same to the U.S.

So what's the end game?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Nonetheless, Obama can lay claim to his biggest foreign-policy victory since the takedown of Osama bin Laden in May — for the moment.[/COLOR]

And yet, he still refuses to ask Congress for permission for the military action saying, “U.S. operations do not involve sustained fighting or active exchanges of fire with hostile forces, nor do they involve U.S. ground troops.”

But you can bet he'll take credit for it anyway.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

It's Cut & Paste from the link provided, not written in my own hand.
I would think the link provided would have made that obvious.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Formula88:

“U.S. operations do not involve sustained fighting or active exchanges of fire with hostile forces, nor do they involve U.S. ground troops.”

"In fact, however, in recent weeks U.S. involvement has verged over into clearly offensive attacks using armed Predator drones on selected targets, especially as a desperate Qaddafi sought to quietly shift his troops to civilian hideouts in the final stages, according to NATO."
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:
The Truman Doctrine basically said that the US would go to war anywhere in the world where communism "raised its ugly head." Along with that theory came the Domino Theory that said that once a country became communist(Viet Nam), its neighbors would soon follow suit. ...
I'm not saying these countries will not become democratic, but they appear to be heading in that direction.
What are your thoughts?

I think this is different. Where as, when communist influences took over countries, it gave those entities power to absorb another. Those entities had a machine behind them. Here, we have people who have no experience at administering freedom and who are usually at odds with one another.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35922 posts
Member since Jun 2003

It's Cut & Paste from the link provided, not written in my own hand.
I would think the link provided would have made that obvious.

It was obvious but it also reflected opinion. You could have cut and pasted many differing opinions.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

It was obvious but it also reflected opinion. You could have cut and pasted many differing opinions.

Negative.
It was a "choice", not a "reflected opinion".
I niether insinuated that I agreed or dissagreed with it.
I only passed it on.

I don't have to do drugs to sell them.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

But he didn't. He prefers to use a self proclaimed Liberal source------MSNBC

There are left leaning op eds and their sources, right leaning op eds and their sources and then there are virtually unbiased news gathering sources with their assesments of what the news means in a broader spectrum. It doesn't take a lot of effort (virtually none) to find those sources that strive to present an unbiased news story and related editorial assesment..

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-23-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

It was a "choice", not a "reflected opinion".
I don't have to do drugs to sell them.

You could sell pot, acid, heroin, cocaine, whatever. It would reflect an opinion. Maybe one is more lucrative, you find fault with another, there is a reason you made a choice. Mag wheels reflect an opinion.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

But he didn't. He prefers to use a self proclaimed Liberal source------MSNBC

The only reason that is my home page is becouse years ago it was the first one I ever chose.
Why?
I was and am a Microsoft fan and thought it's layout looked the best.

That's it.
I like it's layout.
I don't know and I don't CARE what it's politics are.
Or if you approve of it as a "source".
I like it's look.
Simple.

I trust them exactly as much as I trust any other news site.
Which is to say I trust ALL of them very little.

Once again, much ado about nothing.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
So, a pretty picture and pleasant layout is all it takes? I use sources that simply gather news from many sources and I try my best to ignore those that are merely mouthpieces for the far left and/or far right. All those ever have is either unfettered praise for their side or unrelenting cricism of the opposite side. I did read, today--an inversely opinioned article today on one of the financial websites that was highly critical of the "leading-from-behind" theory, but immediately recognized it for what it was, a hatchet job on the current administration.
Like Ron, I care little for that rear based leadership ideal, as it is almost always undertaken when the "leader" wants to leave themselves an "out" or 2 if something goes awry. It's a coward's positon IMO, no matter who it is that takes that path.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

"In fact, however, in recent weeks U.S. involvement has verged over into clearly offensive attacks using armed Predator drones on selected targets, especially as a desperate Qaddafi sought to quietly shift his troops to civilian hideouts in the final stages, according to NATO."

So according to NATO, Obama is in violation of the War Powers Act.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
I would think different circumstances call for different actions. Seems to me that the U.S. may have hit the correct note on the action in Libya in the fact that the Air Superiority probably wouldn't be so "easy" without their leadership and participation while not looking as though they are pushing a larger agenda.
Having so much support in the action taken is also a major plus IMO.
It can change in a split second but in Libya it looks like the people feel the faught for their own freedom with the help of NATO/UN/Arab League and will be left to organize themselves instead of a system being pushed upon them.

Watching the news tonight some of the rebels in the background were shouting "thank you America" to the camera, what a pleasant difference to some of tthe other things that are often said about the U.S. in the middle east.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It remains to be seen if the changes will be democratic or not.
There's a strong possibility that Sharia government will rise in those areas. If not that, will they be able to become democratic? Iraq has already demonstrated how centuries of tribal conflict can make any representative government difficult at best.

Is it a spread of Democracy? Despotism? Islam?

Reagan spent the USSR and Eastern Block into dissolution.
Obama is now doing the same to the U.S.

So what's the end game?

World wide caliphate

Caliphate

Another of Glenn’s craaaaazy theories coming true: Caliphate on its way?

PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

World wide caliphate

Caliphate

Another of Glenn’s craaaaazy theories coming true: Caliphate on its way?

Another one? The guy says everything is a conspiracy/impending disaster, he's bound to get something right but how about we wait and see before you call him right on this one.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Another one? The guy says everything is a conspiracy/impending disaster, he's bound to get something right but how about we wait and see before you call him right on this one.

My favorite response, I figure this time I will spew it:

"But you gotta admit, some of the stuff he says comes true."

Yeah, me too. Much to the chagrin of some , even things I predict come true sometimes. That does not mean Glennster is even right about half the nonsense he spews, particularly about Nazis. That man just loves his nazis.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

My favorite response, I figure this time I will spew it:

"But you gotta admit, some of the stuff he says comes true."

Yeah, me too. Much to the chagrin of some , even things I predict come true sometimes. That does not mean Glennster is even right about half the nonsense he spews, particularly about Nazis. That man just loves his nazis.

Even dresses up like em to sell books!
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post

Glenn Beck? World wide caliphate? No reason to "wait and see". Beck's ideas on this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Just my opinion, really.

But I'm laying down my "marker" here.

You won't see any of Beck's predictions about a world wide caliphate confirmed in reality. Not a one.

Come back and "kick me" about this if I'm wrong!

------------------

88 GT (5-speed)

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Glenn Beck? World wide caliphate? No reason to "wait and see". Beck's ideas on this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Just my opinion, really.

But I'm laying down my "marker" here.

You won't see any of Beck's predictions about a world wide caliphate confirmed in reality. Not a one.

Come back and "kick me" about this if I'm wrong!

I'm holding you to that man, as long as the Nazis dont come get us all first. "And then they came after me, and there was noone left to speak up.." Also a classic "Wild Glenn Beck" utterance..

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-24-2011).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

The only reason that is my home page is becouse years ago it was the first one I ever chose.
Why?

Style over substance, eh?

*jab*

But seriously, it seems like you're always copy-pasting articles from MSNBC. Do you go to other news sources, or just stick with MSNBC? I ask, because if MSNBC is your main source of news, then like it or not, you're being propagandized. MSNBC is unabashedly leftist, and has in many cases told outright lies to further the leftist agenda.

Just to clarify, I'm not knocking you personally. I just don't trust MSNBC.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Even dresses up like em to sell books!

Hell, he even sold me my avatar! *snicker*
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
2 major factors have prevented and will continue to prevent any sort of "peace"in the middle east for anyone to take credit for:
1> oil producing regions produce idiotic leaders
2> religion
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
WIKI - leaks 3 vs BuSh2 with two
with far more to come
and far less costs too
J Assange and the kid who leaked the USA secrets should be international heros

and BTW raygun had far less to do with the commies fall then the neo-conn's MYTH
NOBODY in the huge crowds marching against the reds cared about raygun's overspending
people power and labor unions were two things raygun hated, feared and tryed to destroy got the reds out
NOT raygun the brain dead who never did anything to help peoplepower or labor unions anywhere ever
but broke unions and set the pigs on people marching in our streets
raygun hurt people power movements far tooo much to falsely claim any benefits of their actions
but the rightwing always has loved the BIG LIE
and are very effective and useing the BIG LIE

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
WIKI - leaks 3 vs BuSh2 with two
with far more to come
and far less costs too
J Assange and the kid who leaked the USA secrets should be international heros

and BTW raygun had far less to do with the commies fall then the neo-conn's MYTH
NOBODY in the huge crowds marching against the reds cared about raygun's overspending
people power and labor unions were two things raygun hated, feared and tryed to destroy got the reds out
NOT raygun the brain dead who never did anything to help peoplepower or labor unions anywhere ever
but broke unions and set the pigs on people marching in our streets
raygun hurt people power movements far tooo much to falsely claim any benefits of their actions
but the rightwing always has loved the BIG LIE
and are very effective and useing the BIG LIE

yeah...if any single prez is to take credit for Russia, it would be Kennedy. Reagan is actually the architect of our current debt crisis.

------------------

1985 Fiero SE - Plain Red 3.1 V6 Coupe
Engle18Cam DIS 4.10-4spd 7730 WCF Long Tubes Borla
D.A.M.M. - Drunks Against Mad Mothers

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Watching the news tonight some of the rebels in the background were shouting "thank you America" to the camera, what a pleasant difference to some of tthe other things that are often said about the U.S. in the middle east.

After coalition forces liberated Kuwait, they praised HW Bush and the US. They're still grateful today.
After coalition forces toppled Saddam Hussein, many Iraqis also praised W Bush and the US and are still grateful today.

In both cases, those who lost power were unhappy and condemned us, and you'll probably find Qaddafi loyalists will also condemn us.
It all depends on who you talk to and what you or the media decide to pay attention to. I can still recall the look of elation in the faces of people with purple stained fingers after their first free election in a post-Saddam Iraq.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-24-2011).]

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
While I am glad that these dictators were overthrown, I am fearful of what is going to replace them. Iran is worse today than it was under the Shah. The people who protested and brought down the Egyptian regime are not going to be in any shape to win any offices in their election. So the options on the ballot is going to be the Islamists or member of the previous ruling party. The third option is a military coup.

When a stable democratic government stands in these countries, then I will consider the overthrow of the respective regimes a success. Given the history of the region, I don't have much hopes of that happening.

------------------

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

But seriously, it seems like you're always copy-pasting articles from MSNBC.

He could have posted Newsmax articles and people would still be upset about it.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Why?
I trust them exactly as much as I trust any other news site.

Pennocks PFF main menu is my homepage.
I would have to say that of any news source I could get, nothing gets by Pennocks.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-24-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

So, a pretty picture and pleasant layout is all it takes?

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Style over substance, eh?

*jab*

But seriously, it seems like you're always copy-pasting articles from MSNBC. Do you go to other news sources, or just stick with MSNBC? .

See, and it is just that simple.
Becouse I am just that simple.

I get the news from my homepage, MSNBC, exclusively.
Why?

1. It is my home page becouse I like it's looks.
2. I really don't read the news with any more belief then I give anything else I read anywhere.

I never go looking for news.
I never check other sources.
I don't watch or listen to the news on TV.

It seems some of you take me for something FAR deeper then what I am when it comes to world events.
The reality is I really don't care about the news at all.
Not at all.
I post it here becouse I think YOU care about it.
I think YOU will find it interesting.
That's it.
That's just as simple as I really am.
I really don't care about "The News" at all.
At least not to near the same degree most of you seem too.

And when I cut & paste news, I never expect to get a response.
I don't even want one.
If you want to respond, fine.
But remember, you are responding to the ARTICLE, not me.

Just leave me out of it!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-24-2011).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Just leave me out of it!

I can't believe you're a Microsoft fan. And here I looked up to you Boonie. NO MORE!

(that's about the most interesting fact I read in this thread) I guess I'm a bit like you, not too damn interested in the news.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-24-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

I can't believe you're a Microsoft fan. And here I looked up to you Boonie. NO MORE!

(that's about the most interesting fact I read in this thread) I guess I'm a bit like you, not too damn interested in the news.

Everything in my computer is Microsoft, or Microsoft approved, right down to the browser and Windows Media Player to handle ALL my music & video.
I learned long ago it makes for a VERY stable system when everything comes from the same place.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-24-2011).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Not so. All around the world, in both text and in person to person, people respond as they see fit and respond to both message and messenger.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

See, and it is just that simple.
Becouse I am just that simple.

I get the news from my homepage, MSNBC, exclusively.
Why?

1. It is my home page becouse I like it's looks.
2. I really don't read the news with any more belief then I give anything else I read anywhere.

I never go looking for news.
I never check other sources.
I don't watch or listen to the news on TV.

It seems some of you take me for something FAR deeper then what I am when it comes to world events.
The reality is I really don't care about the news at all.
Not at all.
I post it here becouse I think YOU care about it.
I think YOU will find it interesting.
That's it.
That's just as simple as I really am.
I really don't care about "The News" at all.
At least not to near the same degree most of you seem too.

And when I cut & paste news, I never expect to get a response.
I don't even want one.
If you want to respond, fine.

Just leave me out of it!

How's the view from your fence post?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock