Started on: 08-23-2011 08:53 AM
Replies: 48
Last post by: tutnkmn on 08-24-2011 08:19 AM
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Ex says our daughter cannot have a vehicle titled in her name, that teens do not own their own cars. I had the title to my first car, is this unusual?

Maybe times have changed.

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bwhit12

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bwhit12Send a Private Message to Bwhit12Direct Link to This Post
I did not own my first car. I just got a hand me down truck that my dad use to drive. The title stayed in his name because he payed insurance on it. I was to involved in school to have a job or else I would have paid for it. I would say keep the title in your name for insurance purposes. I bet you will see a major difference in price and save her money.

I am 21 so like you said times may have changed.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Until I was 18, all of my cars were in my parents' name.
I think it was for insurance purposes.
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Yup, I was 17, bought a 69 Chevelle. Title in my name and insurance in my name.
doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post
I had typed out a long response and it somehow got deleted. I don't have time to rewrite it since it's time to go to work. I'm sure others will come along and give an answer!

Doug

[This message has been edited by doug.s (edited 08-23-2011).]

Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Until close to end of my senior year, "my" car was not titled to me. That way it was my parents property to do with as they pleased if I didn't keep my end of the deal. Insurance was also in their name, I was just a listed driver.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 08-23-2011).]

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Titled to my parents until I was 18 and bought my own car. I was under the impression that in my state you had to be 18 to title in your own name.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Bought a 56 Chevy Bel Aire, Olds engine, maroon on the bottom, gold metal flake top, yea it was ugly but for $25 who cares.
But then you didn't need any financial responsibility.

You also have to figure that most teens wreck their first car, I would base my decision on what is best when they wreck it.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
I was 17 and yes, it was in my own name.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
yup, bought it and put title in my name. Now, insurance may be cheaper if car is titled in parent's name, so check that out.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Once your daughter is 18 she will be considered a 'legal' adult and be able to make legal decisions on her own, before that it's all on you or her mother. For liability issues, you want her name on the car and insurance as soon as possible. If she can't afford the insurance you could have the vehicle and insurance in your name, but you still need to have her listed as the principal driver, especially if she is the one who will be driving the vehicle the most.
PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Title and insurance were both in my name, and I paid for the truck and insurance both, so I figured it made sense.

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Bought, titled, insured and tagged my first car when I was 16-years old. Did the same thing with my first Fiero a year later when I was 17-years old.

Paid the cars in cash and was earned by scrubbing floors, washing dishes, deep frying seafood and wearing a drive-through headset at Long John Silvers.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
I did not have a car when living at home
I did have motorcycles titled in my name

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Paid cash for my first car and had it titled in my name but never did get around to acquiring insurance before the engine ate a ring and I sold the Alfa.

Nelson
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
No, to keep insurance costs down my first car was titled and insured to my parents. I still was paying $150+ a month for liability only insurance because of where I lived, had it been in my name it would have been well over $200 a month.

~ Derek
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I bought my first car outright at 17... TN doesn't have a minimum age to title a car, however, since it was registered as a "recreational" vehicle and not as primary car, the insurance company wanted the title in the name of the policy holder (my dad). Saved at least $20 a month (vs. if it was all in my name) because it was bundled with the home insurance policy.

He still holds the title but Judas isn't registered or insured anymore. Got something a couple decades newer to daily drive.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 08-23-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
The first car I drove was owned by my parents and titled in their name. When I graduated highschool I bought my own truck and it was titled in my name at age 17 (yeah, I graduated when I was 17 and turned 18 about two months later).

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 08-23-2011).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
Yes i owned my first car.. I had to pay for it! lol.. I still do own my first car.. Its my Fiero!.. had it 17 years now.
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
My parents bought me my first car and it was titled in my dad's name.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2011 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I wrecked a friends car at 14 and had to buy it.
Chevy Vega.
Made payments.
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I wrecked a friends car at 14 and had to buy it.
Chevy Vega.
Made payments.

Ouch.
njcwgrl

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
Yes , I owned my first car 1967 Plymouth Fury III Was the neighbors car and I worked all summer
for that car..It was in my name..Boy that was a Great car

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

[This message has been edited by njcwgrl (edited 08-23-2011).]

SonataInFSharp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SonataInFSharpSend a Private Message to SonataInFSharpDirect Link to This Post
I was 17, bought my grandpa's car for $150, and titled it in my name and paid my own insurance.

And before that, I had to pay for my own insurance, even when I was driving my parents' cars which I did not own. And I was on my own policy, paying $300 a month!
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
1982 I bought my first car at 15, went down to DMV to title it in my name. My Dad followed me home before I got my permit. I spent the next year taking it apart and putting it back together. I paid for my insurance on my parents policy.

I am pretty sure that my parents could have invalidated the title because I was under 18. It is contract law. Mervyns store gave me my first credit card under 18, no co-signer( only $50 credit ). Companies and the state can let you be in a contract even if your parents can over rule its' enforcement.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Bought my first car at 19 (the Fiero)- I don't own it. My bro is 27 with a clean record so its all in his name, hell I'm not even listed as a driver in the policy and he doesn't even have a clue how to move my car in case he had to lol (I really should teach him..). Insurance is at least 3x less, I'm 20 now and don't plan on putting the car in my name until I hit 25.

In NYC, without having the car titled in a parent's or older siblings name- you can forget car ownership unless you have some kickass job at a really young age. I was getting quotes for a 3rd or 4th gen Z28 or T/A and they wanted $3k per 6 months LOL
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

I did not have a car when living at home
I did have motorcycles titled in my name

Yep. I was allowed to drive the family car (a Pontiac station wagon) in high school. In college my sole transportation was a 250cc motorcycle that I bought as a basket case, titled and insured in my own name. I was almost 23 when I finally bought my "first car" ... a 1951 Riley, into which I promptly swapped an all-aluminum 215 cu-in Buick V8. Of course, all this was half a century ago. Times have changed.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-23-2011).]

Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I always find it interesting to read about the different experiences people on this board have. I'm often curious if the differences are due to regional, cultural, financial, etc.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Until I was 18, all of my cars were in my parents' name.
I think it was for insurance purposes.

Ditto
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rainman:

I always find it interesting to read about the different experiences people on this board have. I'm often curious if the differences are due to regional, cultural, financial, etc.

Likewise. I lived within the region insurance companies use when they factor Philly insurance rates, so that's why they went under my parents name, to try and at least save me a little money. When I moved to Lancaster county my monthly insurance went from $115 to $40 because of a change of address.

When I bought my bike I titled it, insured it and what-not in my name but my first cars were in my parents names.

~ Derek
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
My father gave me his old car as my "first" car. It was still in his name on the title so I suppose technically it was his. But the tranny failed on me after a year and I bought my own car titled in my name after that. Nothing unusual about a young driver owning their own car to me.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
I had access to several cars while I was growing up, not just my mom's car. Didn't get my first car until I was 18/19. 1962 Studebaker Champ pickup.
Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post
We aren't allowed to do that here. The insurance needs to be in the name of the principal driver, which is 51% of the vehicles use.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Initially I did not own my first car, it was on loan, but I purchased it from my parents when I turned 18.. (For a princely sum of $1500..) and promptly got into an accident where someone pulled out in front of me.. and doubled my money I spent from insurance. ($3000) That worked out pretty well for me actually.

My Dad told me had he known what was going to happen, he would have never let me buy it.

EDIT: The car, by the way, was the chariot of all great 80s rides, the 1982 Ford Fairmont. In tan and brown two-tone, and plaid seats.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-23-2011).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
My 1st car was in my parent's name as was the insurance, but as my income grew, I wasn't comfortable with that arrangement. Mainly because if they got mad at me for some reason (of which I provided many in my wild youth) they could take it from me as a form of punishment.

At 18, I bought my 1st car in my name...a Buick Riviera.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 08-23-2011).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I turned 18 and rode my bike down to the local car lot and bought my first car ,1950 Plymouth, cherry 2 door for $150 cash and got the title. My parents didnt even know I was looking.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-23-2011 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Owned 2 cars at 15. Bought and paid for by my own $.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
No I wasnt able to own a car till I turned 18
miketria

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for miketriaSend a Private Message to miketriaDirect Link to This Post
I bought my fiero, and its titled under my parents name until i pay for insurance myself.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I purchased my first car when I was 14 and held the title in my name. Same with every car I’ve owned since but some did have liens. The first was an old car that I never did get running so it was not licensed or insured. I bought another old car for cash after I got my driver’s license and purchased my own insurance and paid the plate fees. I worked after school and on weekends to support that car.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 08-23-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock