Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  My turn again--looking for vehicle purchase suggestions for next summer X2.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

My turn again--looking for vehicle purchase suggestions for next summer X2. by maryjane
Started on: 08-20-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: tbone42 on 08-21-2011 01:46 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I need to buy a new vehicle for Jane for next summer timeline, and I really don't know what's out there, but I do know I WON'T even consider GM or Foriegn. Period. It needs to smallish, with a bit of pep as well as good fuel economy. Needs to have adequate but not huge luggage carrying capacity, and a back seat, tho not a huge back seat area. No SUVs. Automatic preferred but manual is not out of the question. It has to be next summer because I can't swing a cash purchase till after May, and I refuse to go into debt with a car loan.

The 2nd vehicle is for me. It has a less restrictive set of options, except it can be no newer than 1959. This will be a toy for me to go to local classic car events, something I can piddle with, and of course, it doesn't have to be running but I don't want one that has been sitting in a pasture for 20 years. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on a classic that I can somehwat restore, mod to my heart's content as long as it doesn't get way out of hand, and has plenty of aftermarket (is that the right term?) support for. I'm leaning toward an early model Ford flathead, but will consider all US made cars of that era. No Packards--I hated working on them when I was a teen--even tho I did like that straight 8.
I don't need a bunch of craigslist links, just your personal thoughts on what might be doable for someone of my age and mechanical ability. (I've worked on loads of 50s era vehicles in my youth)

No--I'm not getting out of Fieros.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Although some are later than a 59---ya cant go wrong with a Studebaker as a classic....I can still remember as a kid playing in the old abandoned factory where they were built, I can remember crawling under the hood of a Lark with dad when I still had training wheels on my bycicle. I used to have a ROOM full of manuals and spare parts for them, but donated most of that to a local preservation society a coulpe-10 years ago....think I still got a 6-volt timing light kicking around somewhere...

I'd go for a 1951 2R5 if I was after a classic.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Get an old truck for yourself to work on and take to shows?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Trucks are fine as well--from the decade i was born in. (50s) tho a 48/49 could fit the bill but no older and nothing from the 60s or later.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Get an old truck for yourself to work on and take to shows?

A 2R5 IS a pickup...
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Old Chevy dropped on a newer s10 frame with a sbc EFI setup. The modern chassis makes a better ride and better handling.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the Stude truck is sure an option--Studebakers are pretty rare around here but my brother already has a 53 Champion he's been working on. Blkrams mentioned he knew where a couple of Stude trks were in his neck of the woods, but he may have just been hinting to get a paid haul for himself--He's a capitalist fer sure!

(If anyone runs accross a left front wheel and hub for a 52-53 Champion--let me know.)
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69629 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Old Chevy dropped on a newer s10 frame with a sbc EFI setup. The modern chassis makes a better ride and better handling.

Thanks but no thanks. That, is not the sense of a classic I would want. Having ridden in a TON of 50s vehicles, the original ride is fine for my needs.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Hey, if I had my choice of 1950's rides....I would take the Avro Arrow, and I would want Lisa as my rear seat....Air Canada stew....she never could learn to fly, tried at ultralights, tried at gliders, managed yo put a Cessna 140 on its nose by pegging the brakes and couldnt pass the test for a private.....but DAAAYYMMNNNN she looked good in a skirt and heels, and her in the Canso was...well, Never mind

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Jane would look good and enjoy a Ford Taurus SHO IMO.

You on the other hand I see driving a vehicle similar to Gater in the movie CARS. Yep, updated with a Cummins but, that says you all over the place.

It would be useful around the farm also, not just something to go cruis'n in.

------------------
Ron

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Around the farm, is what my Silverado is for till the wheels fall off of it, which is why I have to get Jane something new, so I can get my damn truck back!!
PFF
System Bot
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
A '32 Ford "deuce coupe."

The "Mustang" of its day, you have an aftermarket for it thats as big or bigger then the Mustang's.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Are you looking new or used for Jane's vehicle?
If you want new or only a few years old, I'd recommend a Ford Fusion or Focus if you want something smaller.

I know you said no GM, but does that include pre-bailout GM, such as Pontiacs? I mention this because the 2008-2009 G6 prices dropped like a rock after Pontiac was shuttered. Personally, I don't want to buy a "Government Motors" car, but I would consider pre-bailout cars. Since Pontiac was shuttered during the deal, I would consider any of them free game.

For your car, how about a '56 Desoto Fireflight Sportsman?
http://www.cars-on-line.com/45140.html
Ok, it would definitely need a paint job. I can't see you in a pink car.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-20-2011).]

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
1950 Ford F-1. They did have a V8 Flathead option. Gotta go up to 1952 to get an inline OHV engine (1954 for an OHV V8).

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

If you want new or only a few years old, I'd recommend a Ford Fusion or Focus if you want something smaller.

I know you said no GM, but does that include pre-bailout GM, such as Pontiacs? I mention this because the 2008-2009 G6 prices dropped like a rock after Pontiac was shuttered. Personally, I don't want to buy a "Government Motors" car, but I would consider pre-bailout cars. Since Pontiac was shuttered during the deal, I would consider any of them free game.

I 2nd on the Ford Fusion. It's got good pep, SYNC if you want that option they also make a hybrid version. Very easy car to drive and handle and very comfortable to ride with quite interior. It has great trunk space and its bigger than a focus but not too big.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Fusion would suit me, but it's up to her. She is forever complaining about the amt of gs the Silverado burns so fuel economy will be a big factor for her (and me). She can look at the pre-bailout Pontiacs, but it would have to be a rock solid bargain for me to change my "no-GM" stance, and I mean something spectatcularly great. Not sure I could bring myself to do it. I already have a pre-bailout GM product and curse it and them and myself everytime I see it sitting in my driveway. (08 Chevy truck) But yes, a slighly used other brand vehicle will fit the bill.

Nice looking DeSoto--except the paint, and I had forgotten about those--but it's more than i really want to spend.

Jeez--I hope this guy has more than what is pictured for $154,400..
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2552684388.html

This, I am going to inquire about, but I really am looking for something not as completely finished as this:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2500893231.html
Renegade blob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Renegade blobSend a Private Message to Renegade blobDirect Link to This Post
I'd say a focus for Jane, small Chrysler's suck, so I think the focus or possibly fusion is your best bet. It's probably not an issue for you, but I've seen a lot of rust on fusions around here.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to come down to Texas to look for an old vehicle. They're just worn out instead of rusted out. Replace the easy stuff and it's good as gold. (yea, right...)
There's lots of sites out there to find classic Texas vehicles, and I know you said no craigslist ads I found this one
http://www.oldride.com/clas...assifieds-texas.html

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/177351.html

Don't know what your budget is but $10,000 isn't bad for a 50 Ford.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
What about a Wrangler? The '97s and later are very civilized, especially with a hardtop and rollup side windows.
They'll almost turn in their own length, and they can be parked anywhere.

Tammy had a '98 and loved it. She only sold it because she needed something bigger to carry the dogs around.

The only real troubles we ever had with it were with the cooling system, and the exhaust manifold. The radiator cracked and had to be replaced. (Very cheap repair.) The exhaust manifolds are made of steel tubing and, much like the Fiero, they like to crack. Still, an easy replacement on a straight 6. (The 4 cylinder is a version of the Duke. FWIW.)
The cooling system collected a bunch of sludge and had to be flushed out a couple of times, but the cracked radiator may be partly to blame. (I believe they use red coolant, similar to GM. Don't know if it's the same as Dexcool or not. IF you believe all of the Dexcool horror stories.)
The straight six isn't that good on gas, since the Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a barn, but it's got to be better than the Silverado. (God knows it was better than mine.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-20-2011).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
I need to buy a new vehicle for Jane for next summer timeline, and I really don't know what's out there, but I do know I WON'T even consider GM or Foriegn. Period. It needs to smallish, with a bit of pep as well as good fuel economy. Needs to have adequate but not huge luggage carrying capacity, and a back seat, tho not a huge back seat area. No SUVs. Automatic preferred but manual is not out of the question. It has to be next summer because I can't swing a cash purchase till after May, and I refuse to go into debt with a car loan.

Are you referring to making a brand new model purchase in cash, or simply buying a late model car with cash? If it's the prior, I bought one of these recently that fits all your above requirements for Jane. I'm very satisfied with it so far. I've had it since late June and have put 2500 miles on it.

It has an adequate back seat and an acceptable amount of storage area (the top rear shelf lifts with the hatch, so you can store stuff in the normal part of the hatch, and then un-latch the top shelf and it'll add more storage space... has a lot more space than it appears it does). The four speed auto has a fair amount of pep for being a 1.6L I4. I've had highest fuel mileage of about 37 mpg (that's with the A/C full blast) and typically get around 34-ish combined city/hwy.

They're relatively cheap too. Base models can be had for $15-$16-ish very easy. By next year - since that's what you're shooting for - you'll probably be able to find 2011 models a bit cheaper, as Ford is planning new drivetrain options for 2012 and other goodies (I should have waited....).
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The straight six isn't that good on gas, since the Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a barn, but it's got to be better than the Silverado. (God knows it was better than mine.)

You'd be wrong... a guy I work with has an '03 he bought new and he has never gotten better than 16-18mpg. His now has a lift kit (good quality stuff, too) and large tires (32") and gets about 14 average. A friend of mine had a Cherokee XJ and his results were similar. Now he has a '97 Wrangler with a 2.5 / 5 speed and street tires. No idea what he's getting now... will edit when he replies.

[Edit: he says he's getting around 12 with big mud tires now - was getting around 16 with street tires. He beats the crap out of it, though, and the FDR sucks on the highway]

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 08-20-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

I'd love to come down to Texas to look for an old vehicle. They're just worn out instead of rusted out. Replace the easy stuff and it's good as gold. (yea, right...)
There's lots of sites out there to find classic Texas vehicles, and I know you said no craigslist ads I found this one
http://www.oldride.com/clas...assifieds-texas.html

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/177351.html

Don't know what your budget is but $10,000 isn't bad for a 50 Ford.

The reason i said no CL ads was because of the long timeframe involved, but since I broke that request myself it would be kinda hypocritical of me to ignore yours. I'll check the OldRide and old Ford out, and I have seen what I consider bargains on CL today. Also realize what I consider a classic and what everyone else considers one are 2 different things. Evidently, anything not being built anymore is a classic. (I already knew my 84 Fieros were eleigible for classic plates)

Raydar. We've had an older Jeep Cherokee, and tho i loved it and it was all but bulletproof up til 1/4 million miles, Jane never did like it, and she doesn't care for riding in a Jeep of any kind. She's really a city girl and wants to drive something more "secure". We;ll look at the most recent Jeep offerings tho, as I previously said, I have no idea what's out there. I haven't looked at anything since I looked at Solstices a few years back and would have bought one then if I hadn't heard Pontiac was going to be dumped to the wayside.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

What about a Wrangler?

I thought Don was a wrangler. Oh, you meant the Jeep.

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

I thought Don was a wrangler. Oh, you meant the Jeep.

Oh, you.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Yes, the Stude truck is sure an option--Studebakers are pretty rare around here but my brother already has a 53 Champion he's been working on. Blkrams mentioned he knew where a couple of Stude trks were in his neck of the woods, but he may have just been hinting to get a paid haul for himself--He's a capitalist fer sure!

(If anyone runs accross a left front wheel and hub for a 52-53 Champion--let me know.)

Well, thank you. Yes, I do believe in capitalism but unfortunately, those two 53 Studebaker pickups are not in my neck of the woods. They are however in KS, near Wichita. I doubt you'd want to pay me to drive to KS to pick them up and then to deliver them to your part of Texas. Never thought you'd be willing to do that but, since you brought it up, where there's a will, I will find a way.

As for the left front wheel and hub for a Champion, I'd ask J Stricker, he comes up with all kinds of things no one ever knew existed.

------------------
Ron

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

...Jane never did like it, and she doesn't care for riding in a Jeep of any kind. She's really a city girl and wants to drive something more "secure".

I didn't realize that. Figured it fit right in with the "Calamity Jane" moniker.

Then there is also that whole "Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat" thing. Don't know if that matters or not.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
When it becomes just Fiat, lmk and it will be "on the list" alongside GM, Nissan, Honda, Hundai,Tata et al...
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

When it becomes just Fiat, lmk and it will be "on the list" alongside GM, Nissan, Honda, Hundai,Tata et al...

That's it, you need a Tata. You'll be the talk of the county! Yep, I can hear it now, there goes Don with his Tata.

------------------
Ron

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I already have one--I like em so much I decided to grow one of my very own--remember?

Why is a GM product off my list?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/087559.html
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Don, let me have a look around and see if I can find the phone number, but I know a guy who's uncle makes a living dealing with 20s-50s vehicles. he always has something that is about 75% finished (I.E., driveable) that he wants to sell...I'll shoot ya a pm in the next few days or so if I can find it. He deals with a lot of older Model A and Model T stuff if you would be interested in something like that, and last I looked he had a couple of early 50's Buicks for sale...
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
http://www.oldride.com/classic_trucks/809656.html

1950 Ford, gorgeous.

ONLY $7500... wow. It needs a new floor in the bed, but thats a project I would love to have.

Its in Wisconsin though.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-21-2011).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock