Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  A Christian Plot for Domination? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
A Christian Plot for Domination? by newf
Started on: 08-19-2011 08:10 PM
Replies: 53
Last post by: Silentassassin185 on 08-22-2011 11:30 PM
newf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry aren't just devout—both have deep ties to a fringe fundamentalist movement known as Dominionism, which says Christians should rule the world.

Put simply, Dominionism means that Christians have a God-given right to rule all earthly institutions. Originating among some of America’s most radical theocrats, it’s long had an influence on religious-right education and political organizing. But because it seems so outré, getting ordinary people to take it seriously can be difficult. Most writers, myself included, who explore it have been called paranoid. In a contemptuous 2006 First Things review of several books, including Kevin Phillips’ American Theocracy, and my own Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism, conservative columnist Ross Douthat wrote, “the fear of theocracy has become a defining panic of the Bush era.”

Now, however, we have the most theocratic Republican field in American history, and suddenly, the concept of Dominionism is reaching mainstream audiences. Writing about Bachmann in The New Yorker this month, Ryan Lizza spent several paragraphs explaining how the premise fit into the Minnesota congresswoman’s intellectual and theological development. And a recent Texas Observer cover story on Rick Perry examined his relationship with the New Apostolic Reformation, a Dominionist variant of Pentecostalism that coalesced about a decade ago. “[W]hat makes the New Apostolic Reformation movement so potent is its growing fascination with infiltrating politics and government,” wrote Forrest Wilder. Its members “believe Christians—certain Christians—are destined to not just take ‘dominion’ over government, but stealthily climb to the commanding heights of what they term the ‘Seven Mountains’ of society, including the media and the arts and entertainment world.”

In many ways, Dominionism is more a political phenomenon than a theological one. It cuts across Christian denominations, from stern, austere sects to the signs-and-wonders culture of modern megachurches. Think of it like political Islamism, which shapes the activism of a number of antagonistic fundamentalist movements, from Sunni Wahabis in the Arab world to Shiite fundamentalists in Iran.

Dominionism derives from a small fringe sect called Christian Reconstructionism, founded by a Calvinist theologian named R. J. Rushdoony in the 1960s. Christian Reconstructionism openly advocates replacing American law with the strictures of the Old Testament, replete with the death penalty for homosexuality, abortion, and even apostasy. The appeal of Christian Reconstructionism is, obviously, limited, and mainstream Christian right figures like Ralph Reed have denounced it.

http://www.thedailybeast.co...-religious-bond.html

Yikes, I Hope the two candidates mentioned are not actually believers in Dominionism
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
What part of "Separation of Church and State" don't these assclowns understand

If it happens, it just puts us one step closer than we already are to the ideas proposed in the movie "Equilibrium" (minus the drugs, but even then who knows...)
BHall71

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

If it happens, it just puts us one step closer than we already are to the ideas proposed in the movie "Equilibrium" (minus the drugs, but even then who knows...)

"Whiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrr zzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppp" Thats the sound of the hook in your mouth being pulled.

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Brian

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
The left is getting mighty desperate. They KNOW they have an ass-kicking waiting for them in November of 2012, and the propaganda campaign is in full swing.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

The left is getting mighty desperate. They KNOW they have an ass-kicking waiting for them in November of 2012, and the propaganda campaign is in full swing.

So no comment about the content of the article itself? Surprise!!!
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:
So no comment about the content of the article itself? Surprise!!!

Do I need to give you a link to the meaning of the word "propaganda"?

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Do I need to give you a link to the meaning of the word "propaganda"?

Let me see if I can understand your thinking. Glenn Beck makes wafer thin relationships between certain parties and you accept it as truth but an article claims a relationship about a right winger and it's automatically propaganda?

Good to know.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
My boogeyman is worse than your boogeyman.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Let me see if I can understand your thinking. Glenn Beck makes wafer thin relationships between certain parties and you accept it as truth but an article claims a relationship about a right winger and it's automatically propaganda?

Most of what Beck has been warning about has been coming true. Wafer thin or not, if he's right, he's right.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

They probably didn't read that part of the Constitution.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

They probably didn't read that part of the Constitution.

That isn't in the Consititution.
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

He ^^^^ is right.

I'd feel better about the "church" described above than I would of Jeremiah Wright's "church"

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Yeah! That is why I wouldn't vote for none of those two. Michele is out there for sure.

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
When Jesus comes back, He will rule everything
BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Yeah! That is why I wouldn't vote for none of those two. Michele is out there for sure.

Unflattering pictures can be taken of anybody. If that is what your basing your "out there" opinion on then YOU'RE part of the problem.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BHall71 (edited 08-20-2011).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry aren't just devout—both have deep ties to a fringe fundamentalist movement known as Dominionism, which says Christians should rule the world.

*snip*

Yikes, I Hope the two candidates mentioned are not actually believers in Dominionism

Way to make a bold statement that makes both candidates look bad, but prove absolutely no proof of these "deep ties." You're usually better than that newf.

Interesting article though, not sure why you had to bring in the presidential candidates. Sounds a lot like the fringe fundamentalist Muslims that would place the world under Sharia law if they had the power. Just another case of fringe folks wanting to place their beliefs on others, not cool in any instance.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

When Jesus comes back, He will rule everything

Well.....there MIIIGGHHHTTTTTT be one or 2 of us on the planet that dont bow to rule.....

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:
He ^^^^ is right.

I'd feel better about the "church" described above than I would of Jeremiah Wright's "church"

Any "church" having a direct and profound influence of governance makes me very, very nervous. Even if it's the "church" I affiliate with.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

My boogeyman is worse than your boogeyman.

Yep.

We're back in the campaigning season. Kind of like a horse race, folks are picking who they want to win the race. Some are putting out rumors that they hope will effect the betting line.

Look at the whole picture folks. I don't like our current President and his agenda but, I will also state that everything about him is not all bad I'm sure. Even Hillary has her good points, I just haven't found any of them yet. But, her supporters swear she has some.

------------------
Ron

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Yep.

We're back in the campaigning season. Kind of like a horse race, folks are picking who they want to win the race. Some are putting out rumors that they hope will effect the betting line.

Look at the whole picture folks. I don't like our current President and his agenda but, I will also state that everything about him is not all bad I'm sure. Even Hillary has her good points, I just haven't found any of them yet. But, her supporters swear she has some.

Run Hillary Run.

PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BHall71:

Unflattering pictures can be taken of anybody. If that is what your basing your "out there" opinion on then YOU'RE part of the problem.

Brian

No! It's not because Michelle looks crazy on the Newsweek cover. It's the people who believe she would make a great President or even stands a chance to win. If you think she would make a great President, then you're either stupid, an idiot or just plain niave.

Rick Perry is by far a superiour choice than Michelle, but I wouldn't vote for him either.

If you are basing your opinion on Michelle from Christian Conservative Talk Radio, then you are part of the problem.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Way to make a bold statement that makes both candidates look bad, but prove absolutely no proof of these "deep ties." You're usually better than that newf.

Interesting article though, not sure why you had to bring in the presidential candidates. Sounds a lot like the fringe fundamentalist Muslims that would place the world under Sharia law if they had the power. Just another case of fringe folks wanting to place their beliefs on others, not cool in any instance.

I suspect the article is more fear mongering than reality but I had never heard of "Dominionism" before and thought I would share the article. I did not suggest the connections to the politicians.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

I suspect the article is more fear mongering than reality but I had never heard of "Dominionism" before and thought I would share the article. I did not suggest the connections to the politicians.

Ive heard of it, and have met 1 or 2 of them....in a nutshell, if you dont shut up and obey they think you should be dead...fricken relegios nut-bar control freaks----nuttin a good sheetkicking cant cure.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The article may appeal to some predisposed to believe the worst about Christians but any group wanting to impose Old Testament Law is by definition, not Christian.
Syn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynSend a Private Message to SynDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't surprise me if bachman believes this, really wont. BUT its hard to figure out whats true and what isn't with out digging during campaigns.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Don,
You presented that totally out of context and you know it.

Dang Gum Varmits. Ain't noth'n worse than a Texas Skunk and we all know who I'm talk'n about!

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 08-20-2011).]

BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post

The article may appeal to some predisposed to believe the worst about Christians but any group wanting to impose Old Testament Law is by definition, not Christian.

Word. What he said.

Brian

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, didn't mean to attribute the author's mis-leading first paragraph to you.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

If they had such deep ties to a movement none of the rest of us have ever heard of, then why is it only just now being "reported" on?

Nice try by the authors of the piece to try to paint them with that brush though!

Add this article to the Neptune "tea party" article and it makes it pretty obvious how worried the left is that the elections are not going to go well for them.

Well, either that or all these things are true about them, and they will ruin the country and it can only be saved by progressive zealots who KNOW what's best for us, because we can't be expected to know what is best for ourselves.
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post

Put simply, Dominionism means that Christians have a God-given right to rule all earthly institutions. Originating among some of America’s most radical theocrats, it’s long had an influence on religious-right education and political organizing. But because it seems so outré, getting ordinary people to take it seriously can be difficult. Most writers, myself included, who explore it have been called paranoid. In a contemptuous 2006 First Things review of several books, including Kevin Phillips’ American Theocracy, and my own Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism, conservative columnist Ross Douthat wrote, “the fear of theocracy has become a defining panic of the Bush era.”

Now, however, we have the most theocratic Republican field in American history, and suddenly, the concept of Dominionism is reaching mainstream audiences. Writing about Bachmann in The New Yorker this month, Ryan Lizza spent several paragraphs explaining how the premise fit into the Minnesota congresswoman’s intellectual and theological development. And a recent Texas Observer cover story on Rick Perry examined his relationship with the New Apostolic Reformation, a Dominionist variant of Pentecostalism that coalesced about a decade ago. “[W]hat makes the New Apostolic Reformation movement so potent is its growing fascination with infiltrating politics and government,” wrote Forrest Wilder. Its members “believe Christians—certain Christians—are destined to not just take ‘dominion’ over government, but stealthily climb to the commanding heights of what they term the ‘Seven Mountains’ of society, including the media and the arts and entertainment world.”

In many ways, Dominionism is more a political phenomenon than a theological one. It cuts across Christian denominations, from stern, austere sects to the signs-and-wonders culture of modern megachurches. Think of it like political Islamism, which shapes the activism of a number of antagonistic fundamentalist movements, from Sunni Wahabis in the Arab world to Shiite fundamentalists in Iran.

Dominionism derives from a small fringe sect called Christian Reconstructionism, founded by a Calvinist theologian named R. J. Rushdoony in the 1960s. Christian Reconstructionism openly advocates replacing American law with the strictures of the Old Testament, replete with the death penalty for homosexuality, abortion, and even apostasy. The appeal of Christian Reconstructionism is, obviously, limited, and mainstream Christian right figures like Ralph Reed have denounced it.

http://www.thedailybeast.co...-religious-bond.html

AHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*gasp*

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
PFF
System Bot
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
The author of the article Michelle Goldberg:

Starred review in Publisher's Weekly:
Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism
By Michelle Goldberg
“In an impressive piece of lucid journalism, Salon.com reporter Goldberg dives into the religious right and sorts out the history and networks of what to most liberals is an inscrutable parallel universe. She deconstructs "dominion theology," the prevalent evangelical assertion that Christians have a "responsibility to take over every aspect of society." Goldberg makes no attempt to hide her own partisanship, calling herself a "secular Jew and ardent urbanite" who wrote the book because she "was terrified by America's increasing hostility to... cosmopolitan values." This carefully researched and riveting treatise will hardly allay its audience's fears, however; secular liberals and mainstream believers alike will find Goldberg's descriptions of today's culture wars deeply disturbing. She traces the deep financial and ideological ties between fundamentalist Christians and the Republican Party, and discloses the dangers she believes are inherent to the Bush administration's faith-based social services initiative. Other chapters follow inflammatory political tactics on wedge issues like gay rights, evolution and sex education. Significantly, her conclusions do not come off as hysterical or shrill. Even while pointing to stark parallels between fascism and the language of the religious right, Goldberg's vision of America's future is measured and realistic. Her book is a potent wakeup call to pluralists in the coming showdown with Christian nationalists.” (May 15)

http://www.thedailybeast.co...chelle-goldberg.html

I'm quite sure there is NO bias in her 'investigation'.

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 08-20-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

I'm quite sure there is NO bias in her 'investigation'.

Are you questioning her integrity? I am sure her aggressive anti-religious ideals had NOTHING to do with her findings. After all, the very fact that Bachman and Perry being Republicans should be enough to condemn them! The only shame here is that the Obama administration has failed to take talk radio off the air since all they do is spew lies, unlike the honest and virtuous folks such as this fine reporter that you are blemishing with your skepticism!

And yes, I am being sarcastic.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

The author of the article Michelle Goldberg:

Starred review in Publisher's Weekly:
Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism
By Michelle Goldberg

So, she's got a BOOK on the subject? How about that? I'll bet it will sell very well to leftists.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

So, she's got a BOOK on the subject? How about that? I'll bet it will sell very well to leftists.

That's the bad thing. I'm against leftism because it has repeatedly shown to bring down the average class. Back in the day, the hard core crazy Evangelical Christians were Democrats and KKK members, they were the one that elected Jimmy Carter for crazy sakes.

But they migrated to the Republicans. So now the standard barer for so called conservatism is people like Huckabee, Bachmann, Perry, Christen O'Donnell (remember that flake) and still Palin.

I just shake my head is complete fascination. True conservatives are people like Paul Ryan and Ron Paul.

But to the Republican Right, you have to hate fags and keeping them from marrying each other, love the Christian God and believe liberals are out to destroy churches and take the crosses down from the public square and get rid of Christmas.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 08-20-2011).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Don,
You presented that totally out of context and you know it.

Dang Gum Varmits. Ain't noth'n worse than a Texas Skunk and we all know who I'm talk'n about!

But George Bush is not running. (JOKE)

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 08-20-2011).]

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Well.....there MIIIGGHHHTTTTTT be one or 2 of us on the planet that dont bow to rule.....

Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
Rom 14:10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God;
Rom 14:11 for it is written, "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:
...and believe liberals are out to destroy churches and take the crosses down from the public square and get rid of Christmas.

That's what their actions say, not us.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Show us where in the constitution it says that (hint...it is NOT in the first amendment).
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock