Looking at a 94 Camaro, What to Check ?'s by johnt671
Started on: 08-19-2011 05:57 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: silver 85 sc on 08-21-2011 09:21 AM
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Click Here to Email johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
Looking at a 94 Camaro, and would like some info on things to look for, not so much basic car shopping tips, but any problems with that year and make.

I looked at a few days ago, and this is what I saw. It is a dark blue T top car with 106,000 miles on it. It is a 5 speed stick, the interior is in nice shape, and the paint looks good but looks like some one went down the side with something and scratched the paint down to the primer. there is no rust on the body and no major dents anywhere on it. It has factory aluminum wheels with good tires that look to be wearing well. I don't know what motor it has but it appears to be a base Camaro so I'd guess some kind of V-6?

It's at a dealer who is asking $2995 but its been there for a few weeks and I'll offer cash so I'm sure I can get them down on the price.

So, your thoughts and info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Clutch and maintenance record. Normal maintenance items that may need to be done may cost you as much as the car. Also get a Carfax. Finally, with the Midwestern floods recently, make sure there isn't silt in crevices.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
If it has a V6, it should be the 3.4 liter version, that's so popular with Fiero owners for engine swaps. The 3.4 V6 in the F-Body is easy to tell, by the big Y-shaped intake manifold. See photo below.

http://carphotos.cardomain....1043900016_large.jpg

One point of concern will be the T-top seals. Also, the headlights on that body style are pretty weak. If you buy the car, look into higher-powered headlight bulbs and/or driving lights, if it doesn't have them already.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Click Here to Email johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips. I was going to look at it after work today but we got hit with some bad rainstorms. Should make checking the T tops easy. How hard to do basic tune ups and upkeep on my own?
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageClick Here to Email Joe 1320Send a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

How hard to do basic tune ups and upkeep on my own?

The car is easy to maintain and relatively cheap to do so. Front bearings are a bolt in hub, plug and wire swaps are simple, bulletproff rear end, trans needs to be babied a bit with lift throttle shifts to last a long time. I've put 298K on mine without ever opening up the motor. Best cheap car I ever bought. it's not going to be fast, just good transportation that handles well.

silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scClick Here to Email silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe 1320:

The car is easy to maintain and relatively cheap to do so. Front bearings are a bolt in hub, plug and wire swaps are simple, bulletproff rear end, trans needs to be babied a bit with lift throttle shifts to last a long time. I've put 298K on mine without ever opening up the motor. Best cheap car I ever bought. it's not going to be fast, just good transportation that handles well.

I have to agree. My only mistake was teaching my daughter how to drive stick in it. I rarely saw the car after that and it was a '94 convertable. Had 172,000 miles on it when I sold it, original engine. She put over 36000 miles on it in less than 2 and a half years! The only problem I had was a stuck open thermostat, and a daughter that could tell how much air pressure was in low profile tires just by looking at them. In case your wondering that would be 20 psi and yes 1 shredded on the highway and another was really close. Tread was good except around the sidewall. That is where the tire was worn through.

Rich

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock