Started on: 08-18-2011 11:22 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: spark1 on 08-19-2011 12:08 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The markets, in spite of the exchanges implementing Rule 48 this morning, took a nose dive due to several concerns.

Manufactoring is down again, Consumer Price Index increased the most since March, new unemployment requests rose back to the 400,000+ mark last week, and the Fed has now expressed concerns that more banks in the US are in dire straits, especially those with exposure to Euro banks. Analysts also downgraded the short term (2011-2012) global growth outlook to 1.5%--down from the 3.4% they had hoped for.

Oh goody!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I don't see how things are gonna get better...

-"Actual" unemployment - near or over 20%
(Those who arent working+ stopped looking)
-Teenagers and college grads have bleak job prospects.
-Less stuff being made in US
-Less people needed to make the stuff we DO make

Things need to be maintained (roads, electrical, sewer systems) and built, but I just don't see how things are going to get better if there are more and more people, and less and less stuff for them to DO...

The Global economy helps COMPANIES more then countries, long term.
The 'Information age' has consequences

We are seeing so many different areas dying out and being replaced by "Digital" versions - which seems great, but there' s less people who need to create the digital content, less people involved with the production, shipping, and selling of the content....

I wonder when we'll see the 'automatic brakes' be used when the market declines too greatly...

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 08-18-2011).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Too bad you can't make money on some stock when the stocks go down. we would be rich
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Too bad you can't make money on some stock when the stocks go down. we would be rich

People do.
8-P

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8-PSend a Private Message to 8-PDirect Link to This Post

You can. You can also lose money if that stock goes up, though. Try your luck and let us know how it works out for you.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

You can, and this morning was a very good morning to do so.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You can, and this morning was a very good morning to do so.

Not if you are in a retirement plan, where you can't day trade.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Let's go on vacation. Things might be better when we get back.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
So, what's on special at the Wall St. fire sale today?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

So, what's on special at the Wall St. fire sale today?

someone sneezed....
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
Topic: Economy takes another hit today

well...no $hit....nothing has changed in the last 10 years to fix what was broken way back in the Clinton years. "the economy" will continue to degrade down to level of those who do our production.
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

The markets, in spite of the exchanges implementing Rule 48 this morning, took a nose dive due to several concerns.

Yeah the sky was falling two weeks ago, and then the number went back up. Now they are down again, but its one day. One day. And every time Wall Street has a bad day, people here cry and bemoan the situation, but no one cheers or danced a jig after it shot back up last week, did they? That happened without any fanfare.

So, today, the "Sky is falling' again. We'll see how it pans out. What choice do we have?

And now, some history. (My favorite)

The Dow hit 2000 in 1987. Investors at the time (I happen to know a wall street trader from that period) were amazed and impressed, and NO ONE thought it would go much higher. Now in the realatively short span of 24 years, the Dow Jones Industrial Average skyrocketed, at one point, to 14,000. (Mostly of the growth came between 1992-2000) Historical perspective leads me to say this... it IS amazing its so HIGH still. It was felt among many that the number have been inflated for a long time once we passed 10k, and the 13-14k area may be hard to reach ever again.

Most all of that amazing growth came during the Clinton Administration and we are at the same levels again from around the end of his presidency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...s_Industrial_Average

Not sure, but can we always expect economic growth? I would say no, especially with so many US companies that outsourced jobs over the last 15 years. Thats paycheck money no longer in this country. Lots of it.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-18-2011).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n8K5b3gFvI

"Opal, you hot little ***** !"

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-18-2011).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Yeah the sky was falling two weeks ago, and then the number went back up. Now they are down again, but its one day. One day. And every time Wall Street has a bad day, people here cry and bemoan the situation, but no one cheers or danced a jig after it shot back up last week, did they? That happened without any fanfare.

So, today, the "Sky is falling' again. We'll see how it pans out. What choice do we have?

And now, some history. (My favorite)

The Dow hit 2000 in 1987. Investors at the time (I happen to know a wall street trader from that period) were amazed and impressed, and NO ONE thought it would go much higher. Now in the realatively short span of 24 years, the Dow Jones Industrial Average skyrocketed, at one point, to 14,000. (Mostly of the growth came between 1992-2000) Historical perspective leads me to say this... it IS amazing its so HIGH still. It was felt among many that the number have been inflated for a long time once we passed 10k, and the 13-14k area may be hard to reach ever again.

Most all of that amazing growth came during the Clinton Administration and we are at the same levels again from around the end of his presidency.

Not sure, but can we always expect economic growth? I would say no, especially with so many US companies that outsourced jobs over the last 15 years. Thats paycheck money no longer in this country. Lots of it.

It wouldn't matter much, if every company that was ever in this country--was still here today. I know tha's hard to fathom, but there is way more than enough manufactoring, transportation and service sector business in this country to keep up with anyone's growth.

Perhaps later today, I will post my thoughts on this matter, and they go back about 5 decades, and the events that took us to the top and then back down are undisputable, and thhose events were inevitable--and--neither libs nor republicans were at fault. No--I am not referring a "normal long term business cycle". Tho they do take place--they are irrelevant re what has happened here with this nation's economy.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

I don't see how things are gonna get better...

-"Actual" unemployment - near or over 20%
(Those who arent working+ stopped looking)
-Teenagers and college grads have bleak job prospects.
-Less stuff being made in US
-Less people needed to make the stuff we DO make

Things need to be maintained (roads, electrical, sewer systems) and built, but I just don't see how things are going to get better if there are more and more people, and less and less stuff for them to DO...

The Global economy helps COMPANIES more then countries, long term.
The 'Information age' has consequences

We are seeing so many different areas dying out and being replaced by "Digital" versions - which seems great, but there' s less people who need to create the digital content, less people involved with the production, shipping, and selling of the content....

I wonder when we'll see the 'automatic brakes' be used when the market declines too greatly...

I have to agree with you. All these companies that are wanting the economy to head upwards are many of the same companies that sent people to the unemployment lines. Any way you cut it, unemployed/ underemployed/ minimum wage people buy "needs" not "wants." It's a race to the bottom from here.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by tbone42:

Yep, it was like the 1920's all over again. Many lived large on the paper profits made on Wall Street. Unfortunately, the party is over, and we're stuck in the thirties. Even two wars are not pulling us out of this one.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I think this chart and the comments explain what's going on. The regulations put in place following the last great depression were removed and the historic cycle restarted. The bank bail-out changed the dynamic but we are on very thin ice:

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock