Started on: 08-17-2011 10:45 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: blackrams on 08-17-2011 10:27 PM
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
It is an interesting concept. I would like to see how it does long term.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs...lands-140840896.html

Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

By Liz Goodwin | The Lookout – Tue, Aug 16, 2011

Pay Pal founder and early Facebook investor Peter Thiel has given $1.25 million to an initiative to create floating libertarian countries in international waters, according to a profile of the billionaire in Details magazine.

Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

"There are quite a lot of people who think it's not possible," Thiel said at a Seasteading Institute Conference in 2009, according to Details. (His first donation was in 2008, for $500,000.) "That's a good thing. We don't need to really worry about those people very much, because since they don't think it's possible they won't take us very seriously. And they will not actually try to stop us until it's too late."

The Seasteading Institute's Patri Friedman says the group plans to launch an office park off the San Francisco coast next year, with the first full-time settlements following seven years later.

Thiel made news earlier this year for putting a portion of his $1.5 billion fortune into an initiative to encourage entrepreneurs to skip college.

Another tech titan, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, announced in June that he would be funding the "Clock of the Long Now." The clock is designed to keep ticking for 10,000 years, and will be built in a mountain in west Texas.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Galt's Gulch. I like it.

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 08-17-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

What Bear said.

Brad
8-P

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8-PSend a Private Message to 8-PDirect Link to This Post
Awesome concept. Sounds a lot like the Republic of Minerva.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
wonder how long before a nation claims them? pirates seize them? or they collapse under their own self-importance?

just another offshoot of the same BS which created Kuwait & Dubai
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
perfect target for terrorists, cool! Let them dump their money into this hole.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
I wonder what their immigration policy would look like?

Anyway, Somalia is already available. They should just fund a mercenary army to wipe out the resistance and take it over.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

wonder how long before a nation claims them? pirates seize them? or they collapse under their own self-importance?

just another offshoot of the same BS which created Kuwait & Dubai

Kuwait.. Dubai..? Should they not exist?

I don't see your point.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

perfect target for terrorists, cool! Let them dump their money into this hole.

Are you kidding? Terrorists wouldn't be able to get anywhere *near* such a place. Everyone would have a gun, maybe even some .50 cal.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27083 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Anyway, Somalia is already available. They should just fund a mercenary army to wipe out the resistance and take it over.

What, Somalia doesn't *already* have enough mercenary armies fighting in it?

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Only problem is Galt's Gulch could not be torpedoed. Where is this little slice of heaven going to actually find stability?
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Are you kidding? Terrorists wouldn't be able to get anywhere *near* such a place. Everyone would have a gun, maybe even some .50 cal.

It will be easy to walk around blowing things up though.... Heck, just bring in a ship load of suicide bombers and let them go bang!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if they already have a resident stoner?
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
We should let them build all the infrastructure, and then take it over and raise their taxes. Would be kind of funny... come on, you know it would be.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Just waiting on their first request foriegn aide. You know it's gonna come.

------------------
Ron

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock